Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5863370 08/04/15 10:44 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
It is ironic in the extreme that the REAL poaching threat (by natives of Africa) goes almost unnoticed as isolated sport hunting poaching now is an international outrage.

The media is powerful.

AGREED up

Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5863383 08/04/15 10:56 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
Hunter : Tried and convicted by Western and NP. Jury of peers from the Hunting Community.LOL

I haven't convicted anybody.

I don't feel the need to twist myself into a pretzel defending convicted felon poachers and/or accused poachers just because they kill chit though. As some apparently do.

Hunting is more than making something die. There are standards, rules, zen involved (as in, a way to go about the endeavor that makes it something worthy).

Apparently this is fast becoming lost among the "checklist" crowd.

Unfortunately it seems only certain animals make the "Zen" list for many people. Racoons, feral pigs, opossum or coyotes don't get much respect and many even think it's okay to gut shoot them. I guess lions have that quality for many people.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: passthru] #5863401 08/04/15 11:10 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: passthru
Unfortunately it seems only certain animals make the "Zen" list for many people. Racoons, feral pigs, opossum or coyotes don't get much respect and many even think it's okay to gut shoot them. I guess lions have that quality for many people.

Yes, Africans that live in a thatch hut with a grass door that lions can tear out with one swipe. 'Same for hyenas. Sweet dreams.

Another good article, from The Times no less: We don't cry for lions

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: LuckyHunter] #5863417 08/04/15 11:28 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
The CECIL situation is to close to a "CANNED HUNT".

Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: LuckyHunter] #5863440 08/04/15 11:41 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
THF outlook on this...

Couple guys bash Hunter

Couple guys see shift in attitudes

Couple guys scramble

rofl

Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: SniperRAB] #5863457 08/04/15 11:52 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
THF outlook on this...

Couple guys bash Hunter

Couple guys see shift in attitudes

Couple guys scramble

rofl

This is far from a pro-hunting forum bang

More like Judge Judy

Last edited by SheepHunter; 08/04/15 11:52 PM.
Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: LuckyHunter] #5863634 08/05/15 01:32 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
It's pro hunting, a little chappelle show-like at times. The same arguments just get old after a while when no one is going to change anyone else's mind about the subject. That old saying of your perception is your reality seriously applies in these discussions. Only problem is, even United, hunters are the minority so our perceptions aren't the ones that matter in the grand scheme of things..regardless of preferences, we'll all still go out and hunt something.

Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5863703 08/05/15 02:02 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: rifleman
It's pro hunting, a little chappelle show-like at times. The same arguments just get old after a while when no one is going to change anyone else's mind about the subject. That old saying of your perception is your reality seriously applies in these discussions. Only problem is, even United, hunters are the minority so our perceptions aren't the ones that matter in the grand scheme of things..regardless of preferences, we'll all still go out and hunt something.

Disagree. We will self destruct from with in and shut hunting down.

The minority hunts and the other minority are anti's.
The majority are those that hunt plus those that don't hunt but don't have a problem with it(current situation)

We pick and choose what kind of hunting to support and bash the other legal means then we beat ourselves. Alienating one another will be our down fall.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: Wilhunt] #5863736 08/05/15 02:17 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: wilhunt

Really. Most African hunts and north american "wild" sheep hunts are more "canned".

Last edited by therancher; 08/05/15 02:17 AM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5863739 08/05/15 02:19 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

The majority are those that hunt plus those that don't hunt but don't have a problem with it(current situation)

We pick and choose what kind of hunting to support and bash the other legal means then we beat ourselves. Alienating one another will be our down fall.

Yep. The VAST majority are those that let the media tell them what to think.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: therancher] #5863757 08/05/15 02:24 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: therancher

Really. Most African hunts and north american "wild" sheep hunts are more "canned".

confused2 ..... I spent 50 days climbing my rear end off to get 2 wild sheep. 50 days...
I spent 10 days walking from dawn to dark hunting a lion. If these are canned hunts then we will never agree.

Last edited by SheepHunter; 08/05/15 02:26 AM.
Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5863776 08/05/15 02:36 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
You don't have a clue WHAT I do buddy.

You get all bent because you say I am telling other folks how to act (just because I have an opinion) yet you turn around and directly tell me how to act. Do you not see the hypocrisy?

Since you're all about suggestions, here's one:Why don't you stop making everything personal and telling me what to do when you don't know the first thing about me?

You sure have a way of degrading hunting styles that aren't for you. In one sentence you just mocked every animal ever hunted on that 3.6 million acres(they do have hunts) and every surrounding ranch for over a 100 miles. Not only that you just slammed ever animal that migrates off our national parks.

Funny fact lions have a home range of 96 miles... Lots of lions range overlapp that area. I guess the other 400 lions are tame too.

Let me explain it another way. I would not go with the guys hunting "George the reserve lion." Lol y'all act like real hunts for wild animals don't exist.

We either support each other or we hang it up via someone else's terms.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: LuckyHunter] #5863888 08/05/15 03:40 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

confused2 ..... I spent 50 days climbing my rear end off to get 2 wild sheep. 50 days...
I spent 10 days walking from dawn to dark hunting a lion. If these are canned hunts then we will never agree.

I don't know where you hunted and if you liked it, I'm all for it. But, I hunted bear this spring with one of the premier sheep guides in north America. And he VOLUNTEERED that on his dall sheep, stone sheep and desert bighorn they fly the area with a chopper the day before the hunt, and then set up base camp however many hours away they think the hunter wants to hunt.

Obviously if you went for 50 days... you didn't hunt with this guy.

I'm for all legal hunting. And what floats your boat tickles the s*** outta me.

I was just pointing out that a lot of our "hard sheep hunts" are just as "canned" as luring a lion from a refuge.

Last edited by therancher; 08/05/15 03:41 AM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: therancher] #5863913 08/05/15 04:05 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

Yep. The VAST majority are those that let the media tell them what to think.

FWIW, the vast majority had 60 Minutes telling them all about how HF'd hunts were canned not too long ago, don't think that story is anywhere other than on the back burner. We can't even get states to unite and no one is willing to compromise, so where does that leave us?

Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5863929 08/05/15 04:31 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
You don't have a clue WHAT I do buddy.

You get all bent because you say I am telling other folks how to act (just because I have an opinion) yet you turn around and directly tell me how to act. Do you not see the hypocrisy?

Since you're all about suggestions, here's one:Why don't you stop making everything personal and telling me what to do when you don't know the first thing about me?

I know EXACTLY what you do in regards to this topic. You take every opportunity to denigrate and openly call for the banning of high fence hunting. You continuously call everyone who doesn't follow your specific chosen method of hunting, "shooters" and not hunters.

And you took this as another opportunity to suggest that HF's should be banned.

If you can call for the destruction of my type of hunting, I'll call for the destruction of yours.

And you know what? Anti hunters aren't on your side or my side. They hate us both, regardless of how you want to spin it.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: therancher] #5863950 08/05/15 05:51 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
L

I don't know where you hunted and if you liked it, I'm all for it. But, I hunted bear this spring with one of the premier sheep guides in north America. And he VOLUNTEERED that on his dall sheep, stone sheep and desert bighorn they fly the area with a chopper the day before the hunt, and then set up base camp however many hours away they think the hunter wants to hunt.

I was just pointing out that a lot of our "hard sheep hunts" are just as "canned" as luring a lion from a refuge.

We will agree to disagree on the term "a lot" and the poor use of the term "canned". My hunt's were in the 70's and early 80's. During my 21 days,15 days or 14 days I never saw a helicopter. Then again my first sheep hunt cost $150/day. Today that same hunt professionally guided would run 20K. Maybe today with what I'll call high prices, puts more demand on outfitters to produce. Maybe.

Yes, I enjoyed every second, minute, hour and every day of the adventure and cherished memories. Even today I sat with my granddaughters and showed them pictures of sheep camp, sheep back strap cooking in the little frying pan, Papa sitting on top of the world looking down on glaciers and snow covered mountain tops, sharing photos of African trackers who I swear could track a fly for miles... Life is what you make of it, and mine is blessed smile ... long live legal hunting and I will not sit in judgement of bow, rifle, HF,Lf, no fence or land owners rights.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: therancher] #5864053 08/05/15 12:35 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D

None of my sheep hunts involved any pre-hunt scouting with a helicopter or anything of that sort. They were all tests of both one's physical and mental fortitude.

My Dall sheep guide in the McKenzies, Hugh Dunn, told me that he and a buddy once guided an SCI president, a Cajun from Louisiana, and a pal in the same area. The two wealthy hunters had chartered a light plane to fly them back to Norman Wells each evening to stay in a motel with their pin-up girlfriends while the guides slept in tents on the mountain. Then every morning, the pilot would fly them out for the day's sheep hunt. That's the closest I've heard of an unethical sheep hunt. I've never hunted a Texas exotic sheep on a HF property, but I'm betting some of those hunts could be construed as canned. And I haven't hunted an Africa lion, period. But to each his own.

Could you share the guy's name who outfits for Dall, Stone and Desert Bighorn? He would be in small company for sure.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: LuckyHunter] #5864070 08/05/15 12:54 PM
R
red bluff Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Alot of harsh words in this thread that is getting us no where.

This is a poll on the Stephenville newspaper. I am a little shocked that in rural Texas that so many people
would BAN a sporting activity.

Help me out here and hit this link and blow this poll out of the water.
http://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/

Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: LuckyHunter] #5864157 08/05/15 01:59 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Dawaba,

I don't have a dog in the sheep hunting and airplane stuff but it's become common practice enough where laws are quickly coming about to change it.

Lots of states have a time rule but that rule applies only to the Hunter... But not guides directing hunters on the ground.

Majority of rifle limited draw sheep units run almost 100%. To me it doesn't matter how someone scouts or gets to the top of the mountain. You have to stop at one and the tags are allocated with the historical success percentage taken into account. So it's a wash and really comes down to how you want to hunt. Using Ariel scouting isn't about success. Those hunters historical going to tag out anyways... This is all about the Difference in size. If it's not a plane it will be someone camped out babysitting from a distance.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news...6f5d51de2a.html

http://www.liveoutdoors.com/hunting/168259-thoughts-on-dall-sheep-hunting/

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID35/3381.html#.VcIKNaT49D8

http://trib.com/lifestyles/recreation/wy...d2e85079bf.html

Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: dawaba] #5864175 08/05/15 02:14 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Dawaba:

I'm not indicting anyone. I'm just stating facts. I personally don't call hunts canned. But I'm well educated on what other hunters and anti hunters define it as. Which is why I brought up the comparison.

According to the guide, the sheep hunters he guides are typically guys that are from busy lives but like to feel like they're on a difficult wilderness hunt, as long as they can get back to their work ASAP. The 20-40-100,000 they're spendin on hunts is minimal to what they're losing by not being at work (at least in their minds). He did say the outfitter try's to read the customer and taylor the hunt to their wishes, but that typically he gets his dall hunters in and out in a couple of days.

No, I won't identify him. But his family is one of the largest outfitters in the Northwest Territories.

And he's just providing what his market wants. No way I'd ever denigrate anyone for that.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: LuckyHunter] #5864184 08/05/15 02:20 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
" Life is what you make of it, and mine is blessed smile ... long live legal hunting and I will not sit in judgement of bow, rifle, HF,Lf, no fence or land owners rights. "

Lotta Truth in that Statement

Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: LuckyHunter] #5864205 08/05/15 02:31 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Some people are "stupid rich" and stupid people are jealous of them.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: therancher] #5864230 08/05/15 02:39 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I'm not indicting anyone either, therancher.

I guess personal ethical behavior, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. I'd hunted the 90 square mile Santa Rosa Island twice before hunting was banned there by the Feds. I considered the hunt to be very fair and ethical because the island was so vast and mountainous that it was impossible for an animal to get cornered and run out of options. And trying to find the same animal two days in a row was futility itself. But because the deer and elk there were non-native (they had only been there around 100 years) and because the animals technically couldn't escape the island, B&C declined to consider the hunt free chase.

Custer State Park in South Dakota is about the same size as Santa Rosa Island. It is partially high fenced, although not completely so. It is home to the biggest bison in North America. When I finally was drawn for a Custer hunt, I needed only to slowly and carefully stalk to within 51 long steps of my bull and drop it with one shot into the first cervical vertebra. B&C does recognize trophies taken from Custer, and my bull is currently #34 all time in the latest Book.

Now which was the more ethical hunt? To me, there is no doubt; it is Santa Rosa. It was challenging in every way, whereas Custer was just a walk in the park. So I guess each hunter must come to his own conclusions about what is right for him.....

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: dawaba] #5864261 08/05/15 02:54 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: dawaba
I'm not indicting anyone either, therancher.

I guess personal ethical behavior, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. I'd hunted the 90 square mile Santa Rosa Island twice before hunting was banned there by the Feds. I considered the hunt to be very fair and ethical because the island was so vast and mountainous that it was impossible for an animal to get cornered and run out of options. And trying to find the same animal two days in a row was futility itself. But because the deer and elk there were non-native (they had only been there around 100 years) and because the animals technically couldn't escape the island, B&C declined to consider the hunt free chase.

Custer State Park in South Dakota is about the same size as Santa Rosa Island. It is partially high fenced, although not completely so. It is home to the biggest bison in North America. When I finally was drawn for a Custer hunt, I needed only to slowly and carefully stalk to within 51 long steps of my bull and drop it with one shot into the first cervical vertebra. B&C does recognize trophies taken from Custer, and my bull is currently #34 all time in the latest Book.

Now which was the more ethical hunt? To me, there is no doubt; it is Santa Rosa. It was challenging in every way, whereas Custer was just a walk in the park. So I guess each hunter must come to his own conclusions about what is right for him.....

Yep. That's why I don't like associating the term "ethics" with hunting. IMO we are natural predators. And ethics don't come into play when predators kill for food or kill their competing predators.

I'm sick like that.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Cecil Lion # 2... [Re: LuckyHunter] #5864274 08/05/15 03:04 PM
R
red bluff Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread