Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Hog Wild or Scented Bait Products #5855201 07/30/15 02:44 PM
Dirt Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
TXLAWMAN posted a vid on making a hog roll barrel with corn in it plus adding
a scented/flavored bait product here a week or three ago. I hunt a small place, a couple hundred acres about 10 miles SE of Taylor. Even though there are big sounders around, we pretty much wiped out all the hogs on my buds place cuz the majority of it is hay production and they were tearing it up pretty good in late winter. Whenever we saw a new hog show up on a game cam, I went out and whacked it.
Last eight to ten weeks only one hog showed up and we whacked it here a couple weeks ago.
I filled the one feeder we run in summer, only goes off at 9:40 PM specifically for hogs, filled it last Friday. Picked up some of that Hog Wild or sumthin like that and added only one bag to the feeder mixing it in as I filled. Even though we have plenty of deer around, they weren't hitting the feeder cuz we have a nice food plot nearby and plenty of good browse in the stix part of the place. Three days after adding that sweet Hog Wild, I been getting texted pics from the game cam of multiple deer and last night multiple hogs showed up. I haven't seen multiple hogs at the feeder in a good while. I can't attribute the activity to anything other than that delicious smelling additive. Friday night I'll be there waiting on them.
If you're not seeing much activity at your feeders, might want to give this stuff a try. It's aprox 8 bucks a bag or so.

Cheers

Those who give up liberty for security deserve neither.
Re: Hog Wild or Scented Bait Products [Re: Dirt] #5855297 07/30/15 03:32 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
So you already had a feeder up and running and hogs showed up? I have gone for long dry spells at my place and then had a sounder show up out of the blue several times. So maybe it worked or maybe hogs just happened to make it back.

Interesting that you do know what product you used.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hog Wild or Scented Bait Products [Re: Dirt] #5855367 07/30/15 04:12 PM
T
texashunter900 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
None of that stuff has ever worked for me, good luck getting the pigs.

Re: Hog Wild or Scented Bait Products [Re: Dirt] #5855411 07/30/15 04:39 PM
B
Believer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
hogs will walk right by a pile of sweetened bait over rooting in a field for grubs/worms/grain... just depends on their mood. Could the juice have attracted them? Sure but they could have also decided they were going to that feeder just because it was there and was a free meal in the past.

No telling with hogs... almost as unpredictable as women bolt

Hogs for a Cause Founder http://www.hogsforacause.org/
NRA Endowment Member
Re: Hog Wild or Scented Bait Products [Re: Dirt] #5855532 07/30/15 05:52 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I would absolutely agree that the stuff smells great...to me. But I have no idea if the hog see's it that way. Like all the others, I tried all of that stuff in the past and saw no appreciable difference over time. Hogs are just random, they're gypsies. Just when you think you find some new fangled way to attract them, they go and prove you wrong. They don't pattern well. The fact that you feel you see them more now is more than likely simple coincidence.

Re: Hog Wild or Scented Bait Products [Re: dfwroadkill] #5855588 07/30/15 06:31 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Tried a bag once... On other side of creek that have food plot, & cornfeeder its more wooded... Found fresh sign after rain several years back were hogs rooted up.. Have a bow stand leaning against tree in that area, so poured whole bag were hogs tore it up... Only thing i can think of is hogs moved on... No more pic's on cam & they never touched the stuff... Dogs keep hogs moving around here, been almost 2 months... Best wishes. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Hog Wild or Scented Bait Products [Re: Dirt] #5855823 07/30/15 08:53 PM
W
Wader Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Plain corn works as good as anything once the hogs have your location in their circuit. If you just have to have a sweet mix then a can of no-name Kool-aid from the dollar store has not run them off the few times I have tried it. If pigs are not around nothing helps, but lightly soured corn seems to help bring them in if you are hearing them but not seeing them. Lightly sour as in a couple of days in water with a little sugar and yeast, not left in a bucket until it evolves enough to introduce itself upon opening. Some hogs can't get enough of the really rank sour corn, but others will pass it by. I think maybe some are smart enough to associate it with the last belly ache they had.

-ww

Originally Posted by Robert A. Heinlein
A thousand reasoned opinions never equal to one case of diving in and finding out.
Re: Hog Wild or Scented Bait Products [Re: Dirt] #5855836 07/30/15 09:04 PM
Bearclaw Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I hear a thermal scope will attract hogs. confused2

Re: Hog Wild or Scented Bait Products [Re: Wader] #5855909 07/30/15 10:01 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Wader
Plain corn works as good as anything once the hogs have your location in their circuit. If you just have to have a sweet mix then a can of no-name Kool-aid from the dollar store has not run them off the few times I have tried it. If pigs are not around nothing helps, but lightly soured corn seems to help bring them in if you are hearing them but not seeing them. Lightly sour as in a couple of days in water with a little sugar and yeast, not left in a bucket until it evolves enough to introduce itself upon opening. Some hogs can't get enough of the really rank sour corn, but others will pass it by. I think maybe some are smart enough to associate it with the last belly ache they had.

-ww

Interesting idea, a few days with yeast and sugar. We had done a few weeks with water only. Man it was stinky, and worked. But then so did just regular corn.

We did a test a while back and baited all three traps with something different. Soured corn (two weeks in water), corn with Hog-Wild poured all over it, and just regular corn. We wanted to see what worked the best. We caught hogs in all three traps, 2+2+4=8 hogs. We went back a month later and did it again, we caught nothing in three nights. You never can tell.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Hog Wild or Scented Bait Products [Re: Bearclaw] #5856329 07/31/15 02:19 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Bearclaw

rofl flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Hog Wild or Scented Bait Products [Re: Dirt] #5856415 07/31/15 03:12 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Yeah, hogs will eat just about any food product, but the real question is "attraction."

If you test an attractant where you have already been feeding hogs, how can you know if the "attractant" worked or if the corn you have been using all along is what got them there? You have a compromised test, and results can only be suspect.

I know, we have all seen it on TV. Some big name hunter will add some commercial attractant to his feeder or location where he has been feeding hogs and then kill a hog there, later proclaiming how well the attractant worked. Pigman did this on one of his shows. I just about split a gut, laughing. He had already stated he had hogs on the property and hogs coming to the feeder BEFORE using the attractant, yet proclaimed that it worked.

bearclaw, thermal may work. I know I have been shooting a lot more hogs since using thermal. You may be on to something. Ha!

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hog Wild or Scented Bait Products [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5856748 07/31/15 02:11 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
cheers He his on ta something... At night if hunting with Thermal or NV a hunter will see way more hog's than if just sitting with flashlight off listening for hog's.. Been thar, done that... You'll hear hogs before ya see em, & its tough moving threw woods at night with out a light... Hog, attractants weather soured corn, coolaid, even molasses drip, i've tried, & store bought, ogh, & even the deisel, is just what it says... Gives the corn a smell to it, to attract hogs... Presure, weather it be hunting, here dogs keep the hogs moving.... Hunting success is deturmmined by avalable size of area ta hunt, just like size of hog traps... Hogs will more ta least pressured area's & in pigmans case, havent seen the eppisode, as an attractant used used ta lure in hogs by sents of smell, & eddited for T.V. it worked, was it mixed with corn ? $8.00 bag vs 2 bags of corn, debate goes on... Anyways Best wishes & looking forward ta hearing results... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Hog Wild or Scented Bait Products [Re: Bearclaw] #5857299 07/31/15 08:04 PM
C
customcutter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: Bearclaw

Not true. I got my Zeus last week. It's been in the computer room, waiting for it to quit raining so that I can go sight in my rifle. I haven't seen or heard a hog in there yet. lol444

God Bless
Re: Hog Wild or Scented Bait Products [Re: Dirt] #5858384 08/01/15 04:05 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
I have tried many attractants, slightly soured corn seems to work. A pig pipe is a different type of attractant as they will hear it, and investigate the noise.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Hog Wild or Scented Bait Products [Re: Dirt] #5858439 08/01/15 04:57 PM
Dirt Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
This aint my first rodeo girls. It was the Hog Wild that brought em in.
Yes I get an occasional hog that sows up at the feeder. Always lone boars.
I put in Hog Wild and suddenly I have groups of pigs showing up three days
after I loaded it which is one or two days after it began being expelled
with the corn. I've used soured grain and that works well also.
That's my story and I'll retell it for years to come. As for the poster
who said "good luck getting pigs" well, here ya go, last night not long
after dark. This one measured 54" tip of snout to back of hams, measured
where he fell not hanging up. Not a monster but a decent sized pig. It's
likely I could have whacked one or two more had I continued to sit.

Cheers

Those who give up liberty for security deserve neither.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide