Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5855002 07/30/15 12:36 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
The antis are idiots. The point is not to serve up stuff for them to actually be idiotic about. Lots of non-hunters don't like this deal either.

cheers i'm an idiot too & i hunt... Back in 90's seen low-income people, they work hard for their money, listening ta times are hard, keep reports of injuries down, cost of insurance.... An these people get on lease, 1-5year contract, they invest time, effort, & money.... Build cabins, water, electicity, & such, & whin lease renewal comes up? Priices go up & they cant aford it... They got bills ta pay, price of living go up, no increase in wages, price of collage for kids, Yagh, family of 4 strugling on a total income of less than $8.00- $10.00 an hour... Then this happens, proof tis in de pudding, gives the sport a bad name for hunters... flag

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5855096 07/30/15 01:47 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I've only been to Africa twice, and both times I was utterly clueless what the game laws where in each country. I put 100% total trust in my PH that we where doing everything by the book. I've also hunted in New Zealand, Canada and most of the Western States, including Alaska with outfitters that I relied on knowing the laws and following them. In the US, I do have some idea of what the rules are, but would never claim to know all of them. This is part of why I hire a guide.

I keep reading comments and articles of this, and so far I have not figured out what laws where violated, or what was done wrong. To me, this is the same as hunting outside of Yellowstone for a monster elk, or sitting along the edge of Banff waiting for the new world record ram to walk across the line, or a really nice ten point on your neighbors land that jumps the fence onto the land you own or have permission to hunt. Doesn't matter that buck was his pet, his favorite deer or that his wife named it fluffy. If no laws where broken, it's a non story.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: EddieWalker] #5855098 07/30/15 01:49 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
I've only been to Africa twice, and both times I was utterly clueless what the game laws where in each country. I put 100% total trust in my PH that we where doing everything by the book. I've also hunted in New Zealand, Canada and most of the Western States, including Alaska with outfitters that I relied on knowing the laws and following them. In the US, I do have some idea of what the rules are, but would never claim to know all of them. This is part of why I hire a guide.

I keep reading comments and articles of this, and so far I have not figured out what laws where violated, or what was done wrong. To me, this is the same as hunting outside of Yellowstone for a monster elk, or sitting along the edge of Banff waiting for the new world record ram to walk across the line, or a really nice ten point on your neighbors land that jumps the fence onto the land you own or have permission to hunt. Doesn't matter that buck was his pet, his favorite deer or that his wife named it fluffy. If no laws where broken, it's a non story.

Yes Sir up

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: EddieWalker] #5855131 07/30/15 02:06 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

Eddie, they said this morning that the use of baiting animals from the reserve is illegal, thus the poaching charge. From just that, it doesn't look like they could charge the hunter unless they can proof he had knowledge of it, but that is just my thought. I think they would still like to have American hunters coming to spend their cash rather than worry about guides breaking the law IDK.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5855155 07/30/15 02:18 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hunting is one of the few incoming income streams left in poor Zimbabwe. Mugabe has destroyed everything else. He came close to mucking up hunting too, beginning with the SAVE conservancy down south, but I think they're backing up on that deal and hunting operators there are getting quotas again from the government.

Again, I'm NOT defending the dentist or the PH if either of them broke the law, but most of this outrage is from the completely clueless general public that never leaves the comforts of the city and has bought hook line and sinker the myth that lions and elephants are "endangered", all hunting in Africa is "poaching", and the only reason to hunt anymore is basically subsistence hunting.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5855294 07/30/15 03:30 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
So I talked to another PH in Zimbabwe early this morning and it turns out that the Game Ranch they hunted the lion on was reclaimed by the government earlier this year, so this was poaching...

I know the PH that hunted this lion, I hunted with him in 1997 and 1999. I am very disappointed that he called me and lied about what happened. I am sorry that I stood up for him. Cannot tell you how unhappy about that I am. Both the farmer and the PH had multiple properties taken from them from their government but that does not give them the right to poach.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Nathan Nelson] #5855305 07/30/15 03:36 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Nathan Nelson
So I talked to another PH in Zimbabwe early this morning and it turns out that the Game Ranch they hunted the lion on was reclaimed by the government earlier this year, so this was poaching...

I know the PH that hunted this lion, I hunted with him in 1997 and 1999. I am very disappointed that he called me and lied about what happened. I am sorry that I stood up for him. Cannot tell you how unhappy about that I am. Both the farmer and the PH had multiple properties taken from them from their government but that does not give them the right to poach.

Any word on if the hunter was aware of this?, At this point it wont matter as far as the damage, but if he isn't charged, hopefully the story will be put to bed.

This is a prime example of folks on here not arguing until they have the "facts", as best can be surmised, kind of silly to take something personal over misinformation.

I had heard some of that Nathan, thanks for clarifying for the record. Just be glad you werent mixed up in this deal with that PH, you would have also been hunbg out to dry.

Dennis

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5855308 07/30/15 03:38 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
That whole reclaiming land thing (racially motivated) over there is really out of hand. That said, I've seen reports that the particular property recently has been a hotbed for illegal activities. No clue if that's folks running their mouths bc of its location or if the location itself comes with irresistible temptations....who really knows.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5855356 07/30/15 04:05 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I think that piece of property used to be used quite a bit for hunting. According to the guy I talked to this am, who is ex brother-in-law to the land owner's son it was taken in March-April time frame. Taken means that some Veteran of the Zimbabwe Army is now living on the property and has claimed it. Who knows...

I am out on Cecil the lion!!!

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5855673 07/30/15 07:30 PM
D
Duck_Hunter Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Wow. Thanks for the follow up, Nathan. This is all foreign to me, as I don't hunt big game and I've never been to Africa, but that's information I doubt we will hear reported by the media in this country.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5855800 07/30/15 08:41 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Nathan, I know you said you were done, but I have a question. Is the landowner who is supposedly in hot water the person who reclaimed the land? If so, kind of wondering why it's not getting swept under the rug.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: rifleman] #5855926 07/30/15 10:16 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Nathan, I know you said you were done, but I have a question. Is the landowner who is supposedly in hot water the person who reclaimed the land? If so, kind of wondering why it's not getting swept under the rug.

I think just because it was a famous lion and the whole world is pissed, there isn't a rug big enough..

Dennis

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Western] #5855940 07/30/15 10:23 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Western

I think just because it was a famous lion and the whole world is pissed, there isn't a rug big enough..

80% unemployment rate.... Inflation beyond most people's comprehensive. Not making it right but I bet quota transfers is a common theme.

This came straight from bleeding heart social media. Most people in Zim probably could care less.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5855977 07/30/15 10:47 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
The people in Zim didn't even know about it when interviewed and most said lions are killed here all the time they have more wrong in there world than this lion.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5856185 07/31/15 12:58 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
They're happy if any lion is killed. Whole different set of priorities and all our American liberal righteous indignation isn't going to change that one whit.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: rifleman] #5856472 07/31/15 03:50 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

The land owner in trouble is the former owner, the owner prior to the government taking the land.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5856607 07/31/15 12:21 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Now the USFWS is taking to Twitter to say they're trying to contact the dentist to investigate? No, no, they're not political at ALL.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Creekrunner] #5856611 07/31/15 12:24 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Now the USFWS is taking to Twitter to say they're trying to contact the dentist to investigate? No, no, they're not political at ALL.

Yeah that's crappy. Real crappy.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Creekrunner] #5856631 07/31/15 12:43 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
They're happy if any lion is killed. Whole different set of priorities and all our American liberal righteous indignation isn't going to change that one whit.

Truth.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5856635 07/31/15 12:45 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

If it was me, I'd want them to investigate it. It is an international story AND we have an extradition treaty with Zimbabwe, but the crime has to be equal to a crime in the states. If he did nothing wrong, I'd trust the USFWS, before the Zimbabwe guvment. US AG is also investigating this.

Dennis

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5856696 07/31/15 01:29 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
That is a new twist on things. Kind of scares me thinking that I might book a hunt in Zimbabwe and get there to hunt and not know who owns the land or if they are trespassing and poaching on it. I went through this with a hunt in Idaho where the outfitter took us on to several ranches that he did not have permission to hunt on, then to one that he did and told us it was the best area and where the best spots where. We found out that it was just a strip of private land next to the National Forrest and on opening day it was overrun with hunters, so we went to those other areas he had taken us to and got into a lot of trouble with the landowner. Probably the biggest disaster of a hunt I ever went on. Game Wardens believed us and eventually used our testimony in charging him, but because of his brother being a lawyer for the Governor, he bargained it all down to losing his outfitter license for a couple of years. This was just out of Soda Springs, ID

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5856711 07/31/15 01:44 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
They showed some more video of that lion earlier and I could see the collar. This was with a full head of hair (you know mane)The kill picture looks like he has shed some of his mane, so could they see the collar? If someone famous lived in your neighborhood, would you know about them?, yes. especially if it was a giant famous lion named Cecil.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: EddieWalker] #5856721 07/31/15 01:49 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
That is a new twist on things. Kind of scares me thinking that I might book a hunt in Zimbabwe and get there to hunt and not know who owns the land or if they are trespassing and poaching on it. I went through this with a hunt in Idaho where the outfitter took us on to several ranches that he did not have permission to hunt on, then to one that he did and told us it was the best area and where the best spots where. We found out that it was just a strip of private land next to the National Forrest and on opening day it was overrun with hunters, so we went to those other areas he had taken us to and got into a lot of trouble with the landowner. Probably the biggest disaster of a hunt I ever went on. Game Wardens believed us and eventually used our testimony in charging him, but because of his brother being a lawyer for the Governor, he bargained it all down to losing his outfitter license for a couple of years. This was just out of Soda Springs, ID

I used an example similar to this on the OT thread. Except they had permission but had a ranch specific tag.. Unfortunately the bull was killed on the adjoining lease. Hunter didn't even know he was on a different property. Not always fences. Perfect example as hunters a) don't always take things at face value b) don't be so quick to judge our own with limited non slanted facts.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Western] #5856754 07/31/15 02:21 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

If it was me, I'd want them to investigate it. It is an international story AND we have an extradition treaty with Zimbabwe, but the crime has to be equal to a crime in the states. If he did nothing wrong, I'd trust the USFWS, before the Zimbabwe guvment. US AG is also investigating this.

I have no problem with them investigating. It's how they're putting it out on Twitter. We're becoming less and less a nation of laws and more and more a nation of political agendas, public opinion polls, and what's "trending" on social media.

USFWS is the agency that clears your trophies coming from another country into a U.S. airport. They have become an increasing PITA for American hunters hunting abroad and it is becoming very easy to draw a direct line from their attitude to which party's President is in the Whitehouse.

In Zim I've hunted the Chewore North concession (has always been government land), the SAVE conservancy on Hammond and ARDA (mixture of several private former ranches and at least one government property), and the Bubye conservancy (private - Bubye Valley ). The ARDA section of the SAVE had some "War Vets" squatting on the property. The "War Vets" would have been small children or not even born at the time of the bush war. Welcome to Africa.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Western] #5856837 07/31/15 03:04 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

What they will be applying here is the Lacy Act. ANY violation (a simple paperwork oversight etc) becomes a Lacy Act violation when animal parts are shipped in from a country, or even across state lines.

It's the most important law for any hunter hunting out of state or country to know about. Since each violation can carry a $500,000.00 fine and a 10 year prison sentence for the hunter, the landowner, the outfitter, AND the guide.

Crotchety old bastidge
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide