Page 1 of 2 1 2
Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation #5852417 07/28/15 10:30 PM
C
crazyal Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
I am going to New Mexico for an elk hunt in October. I have never hunted out of state and especially never in mountains. I haven't been in mountains since I was in the Marine Corps 10 years ago. We will be staying in a cabin and covering some ground in a jeep but will be doing a lot of walking too from what I have heard about this place. Any tips on clothing or gear are welcome.

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5852465 07/28/15 10:51 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I've done a fair amount of walking in moutains and one hunt. If your going to be walking on a lot of rock you need boots with soles that protect you feet from stone brusies. They also need to be properly fitted, so that the foot can't slide jamming the big toe againt the inside of the boot, that results in a black toe nail and pain.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5852550 07/28/15 11:38 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
You plan on elk hunting often?

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5852617 07/29/15 12:37 AM
C
crazyal Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
I'd like to but not sure how often it will actually happen.

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5852638 07/29/15 01:01 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
First lite/Sitka/kuiu base layer, then good pair of boots (ex: cabela's meindl) and pants/shirts can be pieced together. Don't skimp on boots or base layer though. There's just so much good stuff that has came out (or hit mainstream) over the past few years that you have a lot of options to work with. I'd be glued to camofire looking for deals though.

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5852767 07/29/15 02:18 AM
G
Grayson Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I like Danner Pronghorns. Whatever boots you get, you should've gotten them several months ago and spent lots of time breaking them in. I would buy them ASAP and get to walking.

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: rifleman] #5852782 07/29/15 02:29 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: rifleman
First lite/Sitka/kuiu base layer, then good pair of boots (ex: cabela's meindl) and pants/shirts can be pieced together. Don't skimp on boots or base layer though. There's just so much good stuff that has came out (or hit mainstream) over the past few years that you have a lot of options to work with. I'd be glued to camofire looking for deals though.

Yelp. And don't be scared to buy non camo stuff either!

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: Grayson] #5852804 07/29/15 02:41 AM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: Grayson
I like Danner Pronghorns. Whatever boots you get, you should've gotten them several months ago and spent lots of time breaking them in. I would buy them ASAP and get to walking.

Good boots need to be broken in but it shouldn't take months to do it. I can get a pair broken in in less than a month, if they need longer, they didn't fit in the first place.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5853825 07/29/15 06:51 PM
F
fishhuntgolfgeek Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
October weather in NM is awesome. Perfect ttemperatures but it can change very quickly. I dress light and carry a bacpack with raingear, extra clothing, and emergency supplies. I like Keen hiking boots and always have wool socks with sock liners . Youll be walking alot up and down steep grades so the sock liners keep blisters and sock holes in check. What unit will you be in?

Live Free or Die...
Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5854415 07/30/15 12:29 AM
C
crazyal Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
I don't know what unit it is. It's a guided hunt and we will be near Maxwell. This hunt was a gift from my dad for me and my brother.

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5854769 07/30/15 03:15 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Get some good socks like Thorlo or Darn Tough. And what the other guys said.

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5854771 07/30/15 03:18 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
The liners that were mentioned are important. Not a sure fire way to prevent blistering, but it'll make a lot of difference.

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5854855 07/30/15 04:37 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I tried liners last year. I can see wear they can be useful, but I ended up not needing them. With cheap socks or loose boots, I would want them. If those two things are in order, they don't seem necessary.

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5855413 07/30/15 04:39 PM
F
fishhuntgolfgeek Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Looks like it's unit 55. Had a 69 percent success rate for elk in 2014.
Good luck....should be a good hunt.

Live Free or Die...
Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: Sneaky] #5856211 07/31/15 01:17 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

I wear either darn tough or first lite every day.

Firstlite has an orange strip up the back. I wear a suit and tie every day.. Makes for some interesting conversations some times.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5856465 07/31/15 03:39 AM
F
foodieguy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
A little off topic but maybe helpful...

I hike a lot and love the telescopic trekking poles, especially when it gets steep or if I'm carrying much. I use just one but some folks use two.

Adult late onset hunter. Why did I wait so long to get started?
Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5856637 07/31/15 12:47 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

I wear either darn tough or first lite every day.

Firstlite has an orange strip up the back. I wear a suit and tie every day.. Makes for some interesting conversations some times.

But your "special", so we let a lot slide roflmao

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5858280 08/01/15 02:09 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I think sometimes we try to make it more complicated than it has to be. Most important thing about being in the mountains is 1) Get in shape to be there 2) have layers of clothing to keep you protected if sudden storms come up 3)make sure you clothing/boots are comfortable to you

I personally have not found a baselayer system that I can use. I have tried about every brand you can think of too. I like to have very light weight pants/top to start with. I also have low hikers that are not waterproof and much more breathable than ones that are. In my pack are waterproof mid hikers, top and bottom layering system for when it gets cold in evenings (also great to sleep in if stuck for the night), and a protective shell (top and bottom). The shell is usually gortex, water proof and packable.

Couple things for people that have never been to the mountains. 1) it does cool down drastically every night (can go from 80 to 35, or 60 to 20) 2) Storms can come out of now where and catch you off guard. I have had them hit when I was 2 miles from the truck and wasn't able to get there in time. 3) after these storms, it can make the same way you came in, unpassable the way the out

So, to answer the OP question:

Boots- low hiker non insulated or waterproof and waterproof backup
Clothing- light layer to hike in with lightly insulated mid layer for warmth and outer shell made of tough waterproof material
Socks- what ever is comfortable to you everyday

I will say that if you were going sheep hunting in the rocks, this list would change a bit (mostly boots)

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5859215 08/02/15 04:06 AM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
You mentioned a cabin and jeep. Take all you can and let the conditions dictate day to day. I'm a september archery guy for elk but Oct in N.M. should not get radically different, especially early to mid Oct. Id stay away from stiff boots that need a break in period. Besides, there heavy. Low hikers that are non insulated are the way to go for early- mid elk seasons. Smart wool socks for sure. Sounds like its a group hunt. Really that means you can get away with lots of clothing options. Solo in the backcountry living out your pack changes things quiet a bit but cabins with a group....lots of options. Take care of your feet, be ready for rain and have several changes of clothes available and you should be golden.

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5859234 08/02/15 04:31 AM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
You were in the Corps, so you have more boot time on the ground than all the rest of these guys total. You already know how to take care of your feet. Get a really good selection of socks and a base layer, and everything else will work itself out. Be prepared for wet or dry, hot or cold if needed. The real success of your hunt could depend on it. If you have the cabin to stash stuff, its better to have it and not need it than the opposite.

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: Pittstate] #5859396 08/02/15 01:22 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
I think sometimes we try to make it more complicated than it has to be. Most important thing about being in the mountains is 1) Get in shape to be there 2) have layers of clothing to keep you protected if sudden storms come up 3)make sure you clothing/boots are comfortable to you

I personally have not found a baselayer system that I can use. I have tried about every brand you can think of too. I like to have very light weight pants/top to start with. I also have low hikers that are not waterproof and much more breathable than ones that are. In my pack are waterproof mid hikers, top and bottom layering system for when it gets cold in evenings (also great to sleep in if stuck for the night), and a protective shell (top and bottom). The shell is usually gortex, water proof and packable.

Couple things for people that have never been to the mountains. 1) it does cool down drastically every night (can go from 80 to 35, or 60 to 20) 2) Storms can come out of now where and catch you off guard. I have had them hit when I was 2 miles from the truck and wasn't able to get there in time. 3) after these storms, it can make the same way you came in, unpassable the way the out

Clothing- light layer to hike in with lightly insulated mid layer for warmth and outer shell made of tough waterproof material

I will say that if you were going sheep hunting in the rocks, this list would change a bit (mostly boots)

If you are actually packing around spare waterproof boots, another option is to pack a pair of gore-tex waterproof socks instead. Will save about 3+ pounds.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5859870 08/02/15 07:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: crazyal
I am going to New Mexico for an elk hunt in October. I have never hunted out of state and especially never in mountains. I haven't been in mountains since I was in the Marine Corps 10 years ago. We will be staying in a cabin and covering some ground in a jeep but will be doing a lot of walking too from what I have heard about this place. Any tips on clothing or gear are welcome.

Since you are hunting out of a truck base camp..and not hauling much... Get something comfortable, moderately stiff shank, waterproof, non-insulated and put some miles on them.

I have a few options..lol

bolt

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: foodieguy] #5859886 08/02/15 07:32 PM
C
CitySlickerHunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: foodieguy
A little off topic but maybe helpful...

I hike a lot and love the telescopic trekking poles, especially when it gets steep or if I'm carrying much. I use just one but some folks use two.
I DON'T hike a lot, but when I do, I use Black Diamond trekking poles (2). They are light as a feather. And VERY strong! happy3

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith
10/30/2012 I VOTED for The American
Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5860008 08/02/15 09:15 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Pittstate

If you are actually packing around spare waterproof boots, another option is to pack a pair of gore-tex waterproof socks instead. Will save about 3+ pounds.

I don't pack the extra boots usually. I just bring them to camp with me. There is no way I would wear gortex socks and hike. I only wear waterproof boots when it is very cold out or I will be going through water. On most early season elk hunts, it is still hot and I rarely have to hike over water. I hiked in 4+ miles every day for 4 days last year with our group. After the first day, everyone in our group was wearing breathable nonwaterproof boots. The difference is tremendous. I changed my socks out about 3 times a day and never got a blister worth talking about. I was wearing Merrell low hikers. Wore my Merrell Gortex Mid hikers once in early morning when we got a small rain shower. Had my UA field pants on that morning (they have DWR treatment) and switched out to zip off pants (to shorts) after that. However, I always had a mid layer insulation and outer shell in the pack in case a storm came in. 95% of the time in early archery hunts, all you need are comfortable pants and t-shirt for the day and a jacket or hoodie for your hike back out.

Re: Elk hunting clothes, boots, socks etc recommendation [Re: crazyal] #5860514 08/03/15 04:33 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Crossing water and rain aren't a big deal to me. The worst my feet get soaked is when walking through grass in the morning with a heavy dew, which seems to be every morning in some parts during archery elk season.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide