Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Cecil the Lion #5852030 07/28/15 06:06 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
The antis are all over this. At first, a mysterious Spanish Hunter was thought to have killed the lion, which was an attraction for tourists that visited a national park in Zimbabwe. Now, a dentist from Minneapolis is accused of illegally luring the lion off national park land, shooting it with a bow, then tracking it and finishing it off with a gun, leaving the carcass skinned and beheaded. And the dentist has a charge against him in the U.S. For illegally killing a black bear.

http://www.startribune.com/zimbabwe-2-to-appear-in-court-for-killing-cecil-the-lion/318828251/

From the article:

The Zimbabwe National Parks and Wildlife Authority and the Safari Operators Association said Tuesday that a local professional hunter and a farm owner are facing poaching charges and expected in court Wednesday. The statement did not address any legal consequences for Palmer.

The joint statement said Theo Bronkhorst, a professional hunter with Bushman Safaris, is believed to have lured the lion to Honest Trymore Ndlovu’s farm, where it was killed by an American tourist in Zimbabwe’s western Hwange region. Its carcass was discovered days later by trackers, the statement said.

During a nighttime pursuit, the hunters tied a dead animal to their car to lure the lion out of a national park, said Johnny Rodrigues, chairman of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force. The American is believed to have shot it with a crossbow, injuring the animal. The wounded lion was found 40 hours later and shot dead with a gun, Rodrigues said in the statement.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852082 07/28/15 06:38 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
If accurate, the pro-hunting folks should be all over this as well. Poachers are not the ilk with whom we want to be associated. Palmer does not seem to be honorable and has previously lied about provenance to make an animal seem legal. Given his history, I have trouble believing his story now. He obviously it not able lying to claim a quarry.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852171 07/28/15 07:30 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Good points. I am not happy about it either, as a hunter.

My biggest question is, did the Hunter know it was illegally lured off park land? I don't know how those hunts work, or how hunts in that part of the world work, but I can see both sides: that he should have known or patronized a reputable guide and also that the guides wanted to get him a lion because he was paying $50k and would break the law to do so.

Are bows used to hunt lions normally? I can't see that being the best way to take one down, especially if it took them 40 hours of tracking and a gun to finally kill it.

[Linked Image]
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852221 07/28/15 08:06 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
To my mind, a hunter doesn't hunt animals with collars. Let's not jump to conclusions, though. The investigation will tell all.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852226 07/28/15 08:10 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
no lion permits for the area which was the big red flag. As far as collars, that's the risk you take with wildlife studies.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852259 07/28/15 08:37 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
According to what I read it was illegal to kill an animal with the GPS collar, also illegal to remove that collar. They removed the collar when they Skinned and beheaded.

This article also says he stated he may be the one who shot this Lyon but clams he had the legal permits...,
Lots of questions

Last edited by rdhibbs; 07/28/15 08:42 PM.

Thank You
Robert

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852293 07/28/15 09:12 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The hunter may very well be a shady, "gotta have it" type of hunter. But the PH is out of South Africa. I know a few Zimbabwe professional hunters personally and they are always complaining about South African companies being allowed to come into Zimbabwe and "[censored] things up". Numerous stories about nefarious characters taking unwitting clients on illegal hunts, etc.

I haven't witnessed any, but have heard of a few Zimbo vs. Afrikaner bar fights around the DSC show throughout the years.

That Johnny Rodriques they quote in the Telegraph article is a blabbering anti-hunting idiot.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852386 07/28/15 10:07 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Bad deal - hunter has a previous violation. Makes hunters look really bad -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852387 07/28/15 10:07 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This is having quite the debate over in the OT.

And on that note...I would like my fellow hunting brothers here to remind me frequently to stay the hell out of the OT. The girlish cliques, the trolls, the self-righteous sphincters, and the lonely old men. Oh, the humanity!

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Creekrunner] #5852429 07/28/15 10:33 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
This is having quite the debate over in the OT.

And on that note...I would like my fellow hunting brothers here to remind me frequently to stay the hell out of the OT. The girlish cliques, the trolls, the self-righteous sphincters, and the lonely old men. Oh, the humanity!

I've been reading the OT thread. I posted mine before the OT was posted and this is the better venue for it. I'd say this discussion is going much better than that one, mainly for the reasons you listed.

As for the story, there are a lot of details that make a difference in my mind, and I'm not ready to go either way, but it's not a good look for any hunters and if this Hunter did or knew what it looks like he did or knew, he is an idiot and a thief.

It's kind of hard to believe he wasn't at fault, especially since he already has a poaching charge against him. I didn't know about the collar issue. I thought I read somewhere that if Cecil wandered off the park land, he could be killed but luring him off was not allowed.

[Linked Image]
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852481 07/28/15 10:58 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Just saw this on the news, according to it, the lion was poached and the hunter/dentist practice is now been closed down. The hunter/Dentist released a statement blaming the guide................. confused2

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852493 07/28/15 11:04 PM
D
deewayne2003 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
If he shot it with a bow or cross bow as it has been claimed; then your close enough to tell that its wearing a collar. I think if you got the cash to hunt a lion then go for it; but wounding one with a bow/cross bow in the first place is shame full and you know if the story hadn't come to light he would have never bragged about.....

"Yeah I took this with a bow.....I mean I wounded it with a crossbow then we tracked it down and shot it with a rifle!"

Last edited by deewayne2003; 07/28/15 11:05 PM.
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852513 07/28/15 11:14 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Little off topic but I watched the TV show where Craig Boddington was in Iran hunting Urial Sheep. It was such a canned hunt it made me sick. There were about 5 Iranians in the posse, most no doubt with a hand out for a tip from the rich American. They were all smoking and talking on cell phones while "hunting" It was embarrassing to real hunters.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852543 07/28/15 11:33 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I can't get over how many guys on here think that if you're not alone when you pull the trigger, you're not a "real" hunter. "If you don't do it exactly like I do, you're doing it wrong." Idiots.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852558 07/28/15 11:43 PM
C
Chief Joe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
NBC reported the dentist paid $55,000!
barf

"It is the same boiling water that softens the rice, which hardens the egg." It's not always about the circumstances, but what you are made of....
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Creekrunner] #5852633 07/29/15 12:52 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
I can't get over how many guys on here think that if you're not alone when you pull the trigger, you're not a "real" hunter. "If you don't do it exactly like I do, you're doing it wrong." Idiots.

Agreed and that's deflecting from the real story. I guess all those guys hate American guides and outfitters, too?

[Linked Image]
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: deewayne2003] #5852640 07/29/15 01:02 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: deewayne2003
If he shot it with a bow or cross bow as it has been claimed; then your close enough to tell that its wearing a collar. I think if you got the cash to hunt a lion then go for it; but wounding one with a bow/cross bow in the first place is shame full and you know if the story hadn't come to light he would have never bragged about.....

"Yeah I took this with a bow.....I mean I wounded it with a crossbow then we tracked it down and shot it with a rifle!"

I doubt those collars aren't big like old school days plus toss in a mane.

In fact Google Cecil and find a picture showing the GPS

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Western] #5852645 07/29/15 01:05 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Western
Just saw this on the news, according to it, the lion was poached and the hunter/dentist practice is now been closed down. The hunter/Dentist released a statement blaming the guide................. confused2

I bet it was the guide and land owner. Those permits are kind of like landowner permits except they aren't ranch specific they are good for ranches with a quota for that year. I bet the land owner had a quota just not on that ranch.. Make sense. But regardless is still only a certain number of tags/permits for that area

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852649 07/29/15 01:10 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter

My biggest question is, did the Hunter know it was illegally lured off park land? I don't know how those hunts work, or how hunts in that part of the world work, but I can see both sides: that he should have known or patronized a reputable guide and also that the guides wanted to get him a lion because he was paying $50k and would break the law to do so.

Are bows used to hunt lions normally? I can't see that being the best way to take one down, especially if it took them 40 hours of tracking and a gun to finally kill it.

I have a friend that's taken one with a bow.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5852715 07/29/15 01:54 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I bet it was the guide and land owner. Those permits are kind of like landowner permits except they aren't ranch specific they are good for ranches with a quota for that year. I bet the land owner had a quota just not on that ranch.. Make sense. But regardless is still only a certain number of tags/permits for that area

I hadn't heard about it until I saw it on the national news, then I recalled these threads. I'm sure if the story doesn't fade, the bottom line will come out. Problem with these type of stories, its the headline that gets the news, not the final outcome.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Western] #5852718 07/29/15 01:56 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I hadn't heard about it until I saw it on the national news, then I recalled these threads. I'm sure if the story doesn't fade, the bottom line will come out. Problem with these type of stories, its the headline that gets the news, not the final outcome.

Yelp and this one is already highly slanted...

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852733 07/29/15 02:06 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I am in no way defending this guy, but every mass media story now about an individual hunter killing something, whether legal or not, includes all kinds of personal information about the hunter with the understood implication that everyone reading the story should search that person out and help destroy his or her life. It's fascist, with leanings towards mob rule. We recently had a whacko (from South Africa no less) come on here briefly and spew his bile towards one of our members.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5852902 07/29/15 03:49 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity

Are they normally taken with a bow and is that a good way to take one? Your friend taking one with a bow doesn't answer either of those questions. I'm not asking if it can or has been done, but is it typical or effective?

[Linked Image]
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852938 07/29/15 04:28 AM
D
deewayne2003 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D

Are they normally taken with a bow and is that a good way to take one? Your friend taking one with a bow doesn't answer either of those questions. I'm not asking if it can or has been done, but is it typical or effective?

Its as typically effective for people that want to brag about killing a lion with a bow; If he wounded it with a bow, he should have had to finish it with a bow.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5852952 07/29/15 04:46 AM
D
deewayne2003 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: deewayne2003

I doubt those collars aren't big like old school days plus toss in a mane.

In fact Google Cecil and find a picture showing the GPS

You mean like these Bobo?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/hUeDrUOmHvw/0.jpg

http://jewishbusinessnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/CECIL-THE-LION.png

http://www.zimeye.com/http://www.zimeye.com/wp-content/live_images/2015/07/LION-SHOT-DEAD.jpg

Also think that most photographers would intentionally take pictures as to not show the collar; the sight of the collar takes away from the picture.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide