Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: LuckyHunter] #5858116 08/01/15 07:47 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
People will question all the good things they hear about you but believe all the bad without a second thought.

This man gets it too.

[Linked Image]
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5858137 08/01/15 11:26 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
According to the Washington Post the reason they want to get in touch with Palmer is to get his side of the story.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speak...ning&wpmm=1

Quote:
Palmer had plenty of time since to contact U.S. authorities, Ed Grace, chief of law enforcement for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, told The Washington Post on Thursday. And he should know how to reach the agency “because we convicted him for lying about a bear kill" in Wisconsin in 2009, Grace said. Federal officials want to get Palmer’s version of what went wrong in a hunt that killed a rare lion with a black mane. Cecil was iconic in Zimbabwe, his fame worth at least $100,000 annually in eco-tourism, wildlife officials said.

And I've never met you, but I'm pretty sure you're old enough and smart enough to know that's some serious bs.

Ok so has Zim charged him or not? If not then why would USFWhave any reason to want to talk to him.

Also was his black bear poaching or telling Feds to stick it. If he illegally killed a bear in Wisconsin and lives in Minnesota then that would be a straight up Lacy violation and it wouldn't be recorded as lying to Feds. The bear thing sounds fishy reporting wise. Infact only way USFW Would be involved is if Lacey. If the bear was actually poached... There would be a state charge and a lacy charge when it crossed state lines.

BOBO SMH, I posted earlier, but found a better one where you can read the court documents. Maybe, just maybe a hunter is a DA and it isn't a federal conspiracy. Lying to Feds is it's own charge.

Again....Zimbabwe has asked for extradition, even though they haven't formerly charged the Doc, it is prudent for the fed to at least look into this, get his side of the story before subjecting an American to their justice system, that is by rule under the extradition treaty. I'm personally glad that under the pressure, the fed hasn't just wrapped him in a bow and sent him to Zimbabwe to possibly be the martyr for the lib crying game. If he did break a law, then he should stand for it IMO.
Read this one and see if it helps

http://heavy.com/news/2015/07/walter-pal...ta-dentist-dds/

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5858171 08/01/15 12:22 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
No I'm just curious that's all on the bear deal. I couldn't find the court docs. It's just interesting that the Feds convicted him for lying... Not poaching, which would of been Lacy if he crossed states lines. He would of also had restitution fees etc. yet everyone says poaching...I can't see all the docs it stops on page two.

But any way you can't be extricated with out being charged. Not going to happen.

I just find it hard that they can't find him when local police are looking in to death threats, he has spokesman given public statements etc.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5858181 08/01/15 12:28 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Hmm, court doc's are in the link I posted above??

Seems he had a bear tag for a specific area, then killed one 40 miles away, transported and registered it as killed at the area he had a tag for, that's the gist of it. In the link above, much better detail along with the court/case filings.

All Zimbabwe has to do is charge the guy, wouldn't take but a stroke of the pen.

Dennis

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5858189 08/01/15 12:35 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
It won't go past page 2 of the docs for me. Actually 1.5 of the docs.

Still weird if he poached why it's doesn't including a poaching type charge or restitution etc.. Weird deal.. A lot of open questions on that.

Not charged yet up

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5858200 08/01/15 12:45 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
IDK, could have been hunting on federal land, but I believe the way it read it was state land? Could have been charged by the state? I know he plead to a Felony charge though (the lying charge)

If you can read #5 on the plea agreement, it states if he plead guilty to the felony, other charges wouldn't occur. That may be why you don't see a poaching charge as far as the fed is concerned.

Last edited by Western; 08/01/15 12:45 PM.

Dennis

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5858203 08/01/15 12:49 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
It's definitely a plea deal... Which means more to the story.

Even on federal land it's state game laws. Feds get involved for Lacy, migratory, Indian land and illegal selling...usually

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5858308 08/01/15 02:35 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Plea deals mean there's more to the story alright-they mean that if it went to trial it would be a helluva lot worse.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5858548 08/01/15 06:55 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Plea deals mean there's more to the story alright-they mean that if it went to trial it would be a helluva lot worse.

Nope.

It means that both parties choose appeasement via a lessor (risk)charge.

Government wasn't 100% they could convict on a higher charge and defendent choose less risk and settled.

I've seen both ends of it. Seen some BS charges before also on the fed side that where intended from the get go to push for a settlement on a lessor charge.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5858620 08/01/15 08:04 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Nope.

Government wasn't 100% they could convict on a higher charge and defendent choose less risk and settled.

I've seen both ends of it. Seen some BS charges before also on the fed side that where intended from the get go to push for a settlement on a lessor charge.

Folks don't plead guilty to appease law enforcement Bobo. They plead guilty because they are guilty and it will be worse on them if they go to trial. Period. If the charges are BS you go to trial.

Govt. accepts pleas because they can't try every case and to move things along. Risk of loss rarely enters into it from their perspective. Especially with lesser charges like this.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 08/01/15 08:10 PM.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5858646 08/01/15 08:15 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

Nope.

Folks don't plead guilty to appease law enforcement Bobo. They plead guilty because they are guilty and it will be worse on them if they go to trial. Period. If the charges are BS you go to trial.

Govt. accepts pleas because they can't try every case and to move things along. Risk of loss rarely enters into it from their perspective. Especially with lesser charges like this.

Agree with NP, otherwise they would just plead not guilty. It is just easier and quicker for the court docket to offer a plea deal and the terms are usually much better than the defendant would get at trial.

Dennis

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5858667 08/01/15 08:30 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Dennis, I've seen both sides.

Seen government plea down because they weren't sure they could get a jury all in "Had a DA straight up tell me that" . Also seen guys take a misdemeanor because they didn't think the risk of a felony conviction was worth it even being they where innocent.

Jury of your peers isn't always your peers.

Looks like I'm just less quick to judge. I'd want more details on a lieing or license violation before I'd call it poaching

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5858688 08/01/15 08:47 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Have you read the facts of the bear conviction Bobo?

It is about as cut and dried as you can get.

1)Shot a bear 40 miles from the legal area he had a tag for;
2)Took the bear to his assigned area and filled out the tag falsely that it was in the proper area;
3)Contiued to lie to federal officers when questioned about it. Knew he was lying.

HE SWORE TO ALL THIS IN OPEN COURT. Swore he was guilty of the violation. Swore he lied to cover it up. Swore he knew he was lying. Swore he lied in an attempt to avoid prosecution.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5858701 08/01/15 08:54 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

2)Took the bear to his assigned area and filled out the tag falsely that it was in the proper area;
3)Contiued to lie to federal officers when questioned about it. Knew he was lying.

HE SWORE TO ALL THIS IN OPEN COURT. Swore he was guilty of the violation. Swore he lied to cover it up. Swore he knew he was lying. Swore he lied in an attempt to avoid prosecution.

No I said that two pages ago I couldn't read the docs. Only gives 1.5 pages of 3 pages.

If it's that clear cut why not restitution, etc... I'm just asking questions that's all. Apparently they where having a good day and cut him some slack.

Seen both ways so why not ask questions

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5858803 08/01/15 10:34 PM
FOsteology Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5858834 08/01/15 10:54 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
roflmao

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5858863 08/01/15 11:23 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
That there is funny.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5858869 08/01/15 11:26 PM
FOsteology Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5858922 08/01/15 11:56 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

No I said that two pages ago I couldn't read the docs. Only gives 1.5 pages of 3 pages.

If it's that clear cut why not restitution, etc... I'm just asking questions that's all. Apparently they where having a good day and cut him some slack.

Seen both ways so why not ask questions

No restitution was part of the plea deal, one of the reasons he likely jumped all over a felony conviction. This was just the Federal case, I haven't heard if the state DOW took any action on their part.

But just going by the facts of his actions, he knowingly poached that bear.

I don't think they where just having a good day, he got a felony when I bet the poaching charge wouldn't have been IDK

Dennis

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5859711 08/02/15 05:02 PM
U
UNT@2007 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
U
http://news.yahoo.com/hunter-cecil-lion-tells-afp-did-nothing-wrong-142129760.html
The PH has come out denying they did anything wrong and had secured the necessary paperwork and permission to hunt this lion. They didn't know this lion had a tracking collar and the PH never even heard of Cecil the lion, much like everyone else in Zimbabwe. The media can't get their facts straight on this and are coming out with all of these accusations. I think this story is beginning to unravel and will turn out to be a smear campaign by animal rights activists. It was probably a disgruntled photo safari operator who was mad that one of their star attractions got killed and went running to animal rights activists to smear the hunting industry in that country.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5859725 08/02/15 05:13 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Ah...those pesky details popcorn

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: UNT@2007] #5859734 08/02/15 05:18 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: UNT@2007
http://news.yahoo.com/hunter-cecil-lion-tells-afp-did-nothing-wrong-142129760.html
The PH has come out denying they did anything wrong and had secured the necessary paperwork and permission to hunt this lion. They didn't know this lion had a tracking collar and the PH never even heard of Cecil the lion, much like everyone else in Zimbabwe. The media can't get their facts straight on this and are coming out with all of these accusations. I think this story is beginning to unravel and will turn out to be a smear campaign by animal rights activists. It was probably a disgruntled photo safari operator who was mad that one of their star attractions got killed and went running to animal rights activists to smear the hunting industry in that country.

I'm really pissed off about the way the media hypes all these situations up and the later on, when proven wrong, they don't even apologize but stand by 'well, based on what we knew at the time we were justified to feel and act that way.' Got dang just let it play out and get all the facts before you flame away on these tense subjects.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5859812 08/02/15 06:25 PM
U
UNT@2007 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
U
Of course if it turns out these guys did nothing wrong and it was a legal hunt, the media will immediately shut up and you will never hear Cecil the lion again.

Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: FOsteology] #5859820 08/02/15 06:29 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I like "Striped lives matter" better.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Cecil the Lion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5859839 08/02/15 06:39 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Nope.

I disagree with the highlighted statement. I know of one person specifically who plead guilty to a lesser charge because his lawyers told him it would probably be a quarter mil to challenge it, while the plead down fine and restitution would be one tenth that cost. That and the cost of this persons time was worth the plea deal.

I think that scenario happens quite often.

Crotchety old bastidge
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide