Print Thread
IM MOVING TO TEXAS!!! I need a place to hunt!!! #5846787 07/24/15 09:53 PM
E
elite-taxidermy Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
E
I'm moving to Temple Texas in two weeks. I'm looking for a lease within two hours of there. I'm not rich. I don't have to have 200" deer. I just need a place that has decent deer for a decent price. I have one requirement though, MUST HAVE HOGS!!!! If there are any exotics, I'm good with that too!

Also, just in case I can't find a good lease, can yall recommend some good day leases within two hours of Temple? I don't want a canned hunt! I like the hunting more than the killing.

Thanks for any help!!!

Last edited by elite-taxidermy; 07/24/15 11:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

gun control means hitting what you are aiming at!
Re: IM MOVING TO TEXAS!!! I need a place to hunt!!! [Re: elite-taxidermy] #5847388 07/25/15 05:22 AM
H
hoyt38 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Is it to late to change your mind about moving? I have found that hunting & Texas should not be used in the same sentance. it is very very difficult to find a place to hunt in Texas unless you are in the upper income bracket.
Sorry for being negative, just giving my experiance so far. I wish you good luck,

Re: IM MOVING TO TEXAS!!! I need a place to hunt!!! [Re: hoyt38] #5847403 07/25/15 07:24 AM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: hoyt38
Is it to late to change your mind about moving? I have found that hunting & Texas should not be used in the same sentance. it is very very difficult to find a place to hunt in Texas unless you are in the upper income bracket.
Sorry for being negative, just giving my experiance so far. I wish you good luck,

Strange, I'm on a 285 acre lease for $1125 a yr. with year-round access, a tank full of bass, hogs, deer, turkey, and more dove than you can shake a stick at, with NO restrictions on who I can bring out or when and where I can hunt.

They are out there if you look. Try going to the local feed store and talking to the employees and customers about hog problems, the guys willing to let you kill pigs will most likely be amenable to letting you hunt other stuff.

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: IM MOVING TO TEXAS!!! I need a place to hunt!!! [Re: elite-taxidermy] #5847475 07/25/15 12:28 PM
C
CGB Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
"Mills county lease" on here posted by "TCUHUnter". 1 1/2 hours from Temple. $1,500 a gun. Not going to find much better than that IMO.

Re: IM MOVING TO TEXAS!!! I need a place to hunt!!! [Re: elite-taxidermy] #5847790 07/25/15 05:40 PM
E
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
E
CBG I pmed him about that lease. Thanks for the info.

One thing I'll miss about here is there is millions (litterly) of acres of public hunting. But it is what it is. I am glad I'm moving to Texas. After this year I wouldn't mind paying quiet a bit more for a lease but moving is going to cost a lot more than I expected. It's all good. Everything happens for a reason.

Re: IM MOVING TO TEXAS!!! I need a place to hunt!!! [Re: toolman] #5848171 07/26/15 12:35 AM
T
TxBuck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: toolman

Strange, I'm on a 285 acre lease for $1125 a yr. with year-round access, a tank full of bass, hogs, deer, turkey, and more dove than you can shake a stick at, with NO restrictions on who I can bring out or when and where I can hunt.

They are out there if you look. Try going to the local feed store and talking to the employees and customers about hog problems, the guys willing to let you kill pigs will most likely be amenable to letting you hunt other stuff.

Well consider your self lucky! I look everyday high and low, from $8k above there is plenty. For the average guy not much out there!!

Re: IM MOVING TO TEXAS!!! I need a place to hunt!!! [Re: elite-taxidermy] #5848515 07/26/15 06:35 AM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
There's plenty of public land too. I believe it's $50/yr for a public stamp and you get a booklet with all the public hunting grounds marked on it. Much of it is bow/shotgun only though. If you're willing to put the time in to scout you can get some meat in the freezer.

$8k for a deer lease? Either you have extremely high standards or you're looking in the wrong places! That far out of DFW there is plenty of stuff in the 1000-1500 range

Re: IM MOVING TO TEXAS!!! I need a place to hunt!!! [Re: TxBuck] #5848761 07/26/15 02:57 PM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: TxBuck
Originally Posted By: toolman

Well consider your self lucky! I look everyday high and low, from $8k above there is plenty. For the average guy not much out there!!

Ive seen leases recently in South Texas for as low as $4500 a year, theres been alot of good ones posted on here for $2500-4500, you have to jump on them quick though, for the OP just get to know some other Hunters around and things will pop up.

Re: IM MOVING TO TEXAS!!! I need a place to hunt!!! [Re: elite-taxidermy] #5848931 07/26/15 05:25 PM
H
hangfire Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
First, welcome to the forum and Texas. There used to be some good day leases near College Station, Grimes County. Hogs about everywhere but more numerous probably East of I-35. As mentioned above there are several public WMA's also. Good luck. b

Re: IM MOVING TO TEXAS!!! I need a place to hunt!!! [Re: elite-taxidermy] #5848942 07/26/15 05:35 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Good leases at a good price aren't going to find you, you have to look for them. No one is going to hand you a lease on a silver platter. 97% of Texas is private land and most Texas has been in a drought for 20 yrs. Ranch or farm income took a big hit and leases saved the day for a many a landowner. I never fault a man for getting as much as he can for use of his land and the resources he provides for on it. I don't have to lease at his asking price though, but know that someone will take it sooner or later.
TPWD does draw hunts annually for a multitude of species on our WMA's. Right now is the time to apply. Some good info posted above also on Public land and places to start your search. Being a taxi the business will bring you leads.
welcome To Texas

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: IM MOVING TO TEXAS!!! I need a place to hunt!!! [Re: elite-taxidermy] #5849030 07/26/15 07:18 PM
E
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
E
Thanks for all the info. Overseen loads of leases in the $2500-$3500 range. Next year, that will be very doable. This year, it won't be. I'm not afraid of working hard on public land.

I really believe things happen for a reason. This year my hunting might be a little slow. Next year will be better. It's all good. I will be looking up as much info on the WMAs and Fort Hood as I can find. I'd love to get in on a good lease and use the public stuff for a backup. Thanks again for the info.

Re: IM MOVING TO TEXAS!!! I need a place to hunt!!! [Re: elite-taxidermy] #5849293 07/26/15 11:05 PM
T
trapperben Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Have you considered hunting Arkansas this year? Seems like very good hunting opportunities on public land and even with an out of state license cheaper then most Texas leases. I have considered it but little far for me especially since there would be a learning curve involved. You should not have that problem. And with your line of work I suspect you are going to get invites most of us won't in the near future.

Re: IM MOVING TO TEXAS!!! I need a place to hunt!!! [Re: elite-taxidermy] #5849374 07/27/15 12:19 AM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
There is a wildlife mgt area by Belton lake where you can dove hunt,duck hunt and hog hunt. Ive been fishing there but never hunted it.Several of my friends have. I do plan on duck hunting it this year.

Re: IM MOVING TO TEXAS!!! I need a place to hunt!!! [Re: elite-taxidermy] #5849470 07/27/15 01:23 AM
E
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
E
I will be hunting arkansas. I drew a couple good tags for a military base here and I have access to a little private land. I still want to find some places in TX though.

ESPY, thanks for the info in the pm. I'll look that stuff up now. Thanks again guys!!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide