Forum Stats
60397 Members
45 Forums
475405 Topics
6236741 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5844895 - 07/23/15 04:36 PM What is your prediction on this years season?
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: South Texas
I have been keeping close tabs on my dove fields, (theres really nothing else to do this time of year) and it looks like we are going to have plenty of seed for the birds. The rains we had early this year were a blessing but caused a lot of issues for farmers, we have several "late" milo fields but for a hunting stand point this is ideal. I think we are going to have a great year, as long as we don't get a tropical storm or early cold front, which is very possible for opening weekend of dove season.

http://www.southtexashuntingoutfitters.c...und-the-corner/

Edited by STXHO (07/23/15 04:38 PM)

#5845438 - 07/23/15 09:17 PM Re: What is your prediction on this years season? [Re: STXHO]
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Abilene, TX
Right now the fields I'll be hunting are loaded!

My concern is to much food and water might spread them out.

32 - BWT
11 - GWT
2 - Black Bellied Whistlers
10 - Gaddies
1 - Mallard
1 - Pintail

#5848939 - 07/26/15 12:34 PM Re: What is your prediction on this years season? [Re: BradyBuck]
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: South Texas
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Right now the fields I'll be hunting are loaded!

My concern is to much food and water might spread them out.

I think we will be good on the food sources, however water may be an issue. It is starting to dry out in the counties that I hunt, if it stays like this the birds will be concentrated around what water there is at the time. I would much prefer to dove hunt a dry year then a wet year but it looks like this year will give us a little bit of both wet/ and dry. Also you never know about those tropical storms and hurricanes.

#5849053 - 07/26/15 02:39 PM Re: What is your prediction on this years season? [Re: STXHO]
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua

Loc: Texas
I predict a bunch of people will hunt the first week or so and then not so much

#5849099 - 07/26/15 03:14 PM Re: What is your prediction on this years season? [Re: STXHO]
tex70 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Georgetown
It's kind of hard for me to say at this point. Usually by the second or third week of July I start seeing the big white wing packs flying over my house but that hasn't happened yet.There is certainly alot of food & water this year so if I had to guess I would assume they'll be scattered

#5849118 - 07/26/15 03:34 PM Re: What is your prediction on this years season? [Re: #Hayraker]
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Abilene, TX
Originally Posted By: #Hayraker

I'll probably average 2 hunts a week for the season.

32 - BWT
11 - GWT
2 - Black Bellied Whistlers
10 - Gaddies
1 - Mallard
1 - Pintail

#5849123 - 07/26/15 03:37 PM Re: What is your prediction on this years season? [Re: #Hayraker]
Guy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lake X
Originally Posted By: #Hayraker

I'll hunt dove the first weekend, then I'll be after teal, then scouting for big ducks. Dove just doesn't do a lot for me anymore.

#5849209 - 07/26/15 05:02 PM Re: What is your prediction on this years season? [Re: STXHO]
Ramball36 Online   content

Loc: McKinney
I predict I will average 3 birds a day from the door of my shop. Mostly off of the powerline

www.facebook.com/r2metalworks/

www.threecurl.com

#5849350 - 07/26/15 06:50 PM Re: What is your prediction on this years season? [Re: STXHO]
ducknbass Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

I usually hunt opening day just for the tradition. Then leave it alone for a couple weeks. Then I will usually find a field or two that I can work on em for a week or so after work. Then I'm bored and leave it alone once they move again.

#5849452 - 07/26/15 08:10 PM Re: What is your prediction on this years season? [Re: STXHO]
Just Nate Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Austin, TX
Ducks:
Going to stay warm North of here with lots and lots of food. Only ducks that will come down during First Splits are Teal, Pintail and, Red Heads. Second Splits will be fair with decent numbers of Gadwall and Wigeon making it down. Some Mallards will come down late but not many. Early Teal season will suck until the very last little bit, then some not many BWT will show up. All the ducks will be really broken up as there will be more water and more food then normal. Ducks will not set on tanks but maybe one or two days then move on because they can. They will be hard to pattern this year.

Geese:
Specks and Snows will be really good and stay longer. Speck numbers are really up this year and they will come early and stay late. The snows will stay long enough to kill some during the conservation season. The Canadians will come in droves and it will be lights out in West Texas.

Dove:
Will be good for non migrating populations but migration will be light.

Cranes:
Will be a historic year with numbers never seen before.

#5849494 - 07/26/15 08:42 PM Re: What is your prediction on this years season? [Re: Just Nate]
Hopedale Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Central Texas
Originally Posted By: Nathan Nelson
Ducks:
Going to stay warm North of here with lots and lots of food. Only ducks that will come down during First Splits are Teal, Pintail and, Red Heads. Second Splits will be fair with decent numbers of Gadwall and Wigeon making it down. Some Mallards will come down late but not many. Early Teal season will suck until the very last little bit, then some not many BWT will show up. All the ducks will be really broken up as there will be more water and more food then normal. Ducks will not set on tanks but maybe one or two days then move on because they can. They will be hard to pattern this year.

Geese:
Specks and Snows will be really good and stay longer. Speck numbers are really up this year and they will come early and stay late. The snows will stay long enough to kill some during the conservation season. The Canadians will come in droves and it will be lights out in West Texas.

Dove:
Will be good for non migrating populations but migration will be light.

Cranes:
Will be a historic year with numbers never seen before.

mad bang I believe you nailed it. crying

#5849499 - 07/26/15 08:45 PM Re: What is your prediction on this years season? [Re: STXHO]
Ol_Yeller Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Palo Pinto
I was with ya 'til Canadians...then I lost ya...

#5849516 - 07/26/15 08:59 PM Re: What is your prediction on this years season? [Re: Ol_Yeller]
Just Nate Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Austin, TX
Originally Posted By: Ol_Yeller
I was with ya 'til Canadians...then I lost ya...

Why lots of water high numbers, Colorado and Nebraska are going to cut the corn and harvest everything because it is the first time in years that they can. I do not think you will see a lot of food left unharvested like years past. Why do you think it will not be a good year? I bet you will see a really good year around Dumas and down. Plus Lake Meredith has water for the first time in years.

Plus lots of traditional corn acres has been put into hay or houses on the front range.

#5849570 - 07/26/15 09:30 PM Re: What is your prediction on this years season? [Re: STXHO]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Ya but same stand point we are looking at one of the best corn crops in the last 20 years in the panhandle also.

I had to spray twice for rust on my wheat and still managed 90

No reason for the heavy geese to head south if its not frozen. Just no point in it. Best stripper heads in the world steal miss 6-8 bushels an acre.

That's my opinion

#5849620 - 07/26/15 10:04 PM Re: What is your prediction on this years season? [Re: STXHO]
billyhunt Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: granger,tx
Boy BOBO, that is some GOOD wheat, compared to down here. Ya'll must have not had too much wet weather for cutting?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide