Forums46
Topics536,987
Posts9,719,149
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years #5841267 07/21/15 04:56 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
My father in law owns some land near Paris and I'm 4.5 hours away. Am I nuts thinking this will work?
Anyone else have drives that far and how many times do you get out there practically?

We have relatives in the area and my family may be spending time with them some of the trips up there and I have a brother 90 minutes away who can take care of the equipment and scouting and nephew that can fill feeders that lives on the land.

I'm pretty excited because I have not shot a deer in 35 years. I've stalked and hunted out there a few times without shooting anything but this will be the first year setting up my own feeder pen and blind.

Please help me out here.

Place has cattle and occasionally hogs. I selected a site near a creek that crosses the property in a natural clearing that has a small grove of trees that holds water and attracts hogs when they are in the area. The creek about 75 yards from feeder site, and 180 yards from blind site and is about 20' deep and 40' wide with steep banks.

Current plans are to put a feeder pen and feeder out in September
Going to use eight 16' hog panels and T posts to create a pen.
Have not selected a feeder yet. Thinking I want one with a ladder platform or only 10' high so I can fill it from the bed of a truck.

Has anyone had success leaving a panel hinged to open on a feeder pen like this? Was thinking I might use a half panel as a gate.

First year plan to hunt from a pop-up blind in a tree line. Want to see if I can get it where I can hunt both sides of the tree line(used to have a fence line there) and see two pastures.

I also don't have a trail camera yet. I'll probably hide it near the feeder pen and won't tell anyone except my brother it's there. Neighbors have been known to steal them. They know of another blind set up close to their property line but this is another 500+ yards towards the center of the property and two pastures over.

First, my BIL thinks I should hunt the feeder a friend of his set up close to the neighbor. I don't know that guy but I feel like it will come with extra restrictions and less flexibility. If my brother and I want to go out on the same weekend we'll also have 2 blinds

Second, my FIL and BIL think I'm nuts for building a feeder pen. Think the deer won't jump it and too much work. The first location has a feeder without a pen (don't know how often it is filled or timer settings) the cattle rarely visit because they have a base area closer to where I am setting up. I know I'll need to exclude the cattle and probably have more hog activity there being closer to the creek and bottom land areas.

Third, the land has not been brush-hogged in a while since my FIL sold the brush-hog a few years back (don't ask me, everyone thought he was crazy) so I mentioned I'll be taking out some small cedars and bois d'arc. The cedar I plan on just cutting, but I think I need to treat the bois d'arc stumps with Triclopyr. I'll create a few brush piles.

When I'm done I should have decent sight lines of 100-180 yards and be able to hunt a 45 degree wedge on two sides of the blind. I'm a very accurate shooter out to 300 yards so 200 is in my comfort range for taking game.

Last edited by TexasEd; 07/21/15 04:59 PM.

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841289 07/21/15 05:13 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If cows are on the property, build a feed pen. Use 10 panels minimum and it will be big enough that the deer will hop in. I've yet to figure out a gate on my two feed pens that I will soon build, but leaning towards a cheap 4' galvanized gate from TSC.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841290 07/21/15 05:14 PM
T
thewrap Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I used to make a 4 hour drive every weekend. I would think anything less than 5 hours is reasonable. I know people who have way worse drives and make it probably every other weekend like 8-9 hours one way.

Jesse Reynolds
Professional Home Inspector TREC ID# 21526
www.integrityhomeinspectionservice.com
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841294 07/21/15 05:19 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I got tired just reading about the work you're gonna do.

I think the feeder pen is a good idea and will work.

My drive to the lease is further than yours and those Louisiana boys don't even blink at a drive like that.

I'd go with a winch down and up feeder if you have the funds.

The relatives/friends/neighbors situation sounds a bit complicated.

In any event, 'hope you have fun setting up and hunting it.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841311 07/21/15 05:28 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
We bought a place 3.5 hours away. We make it at least once a month all year. Not uncommon to go every weekend during deer season other plans permitting. Depends on how much you like hunting.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: Cast] #5841312 07/21/15 05:30 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Cast
If cows are on the property, build a feed pen. .

also use a bigger gun and shoot them in the road where a tractor can get to them

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841313 07/21/15 05:30 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
The distance is why I have not done this before. Been married for 11 years to the joint heir to the land and only duck hunted the ponds a few times and sat in the other guy's blind once each of the last two years. He's only been out there about 4-5 years.

The things that have changed are that my brother moved to N Dallas area and is 90 minutes away and he can take care of stuff for me 1-2 times a month like make sure pens are tight, feeder works, pull pictures from camera, etc... He'll do this to be able to hunt it too.

My two nephews who live there are older (high school and middle school ages) and can fill feeders. One drives the ranch truck and the other might be able to but definitely can drive the ATV down there to put a couple bags of corn in. They'll do it to help me out and get some spending money and the older one will be able to hunt it, younger one doesn't care to hunt.

BIL was not interested in helping with any of that stuff when asking him about it years ago, he is just too busy and doesn't care for deer hunting much. He gives a lot of advice but not sure about his knowledge when he says things like" why are you going to put up a pen?" and later says, "the cattle will tear a feeder up."

Last edited by TexasEd; 07/21/15 05:32 PM.

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841320 07/21/15 05:32 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
we used to hunt in leakey when we lived in Houston and it was close to a 5 hour drive when it was all said and done. we went about every weekend. hunted the mornings sunday and came home

Ranch I hunt now is about 5 1/2 hours away but I plan my trips to stay for a little while before turning around and heading home.

in 3 weeks I'm gonna make a 22 hour drive to go hunt. its all about how passionate you are about it

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841324 07/21/15 05:34 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
we drive 3.5-4hrs to get to our place. it was a big change from hunting as little as 15-30min from home. we love it. what its meant for us is that we don't make any spur of the moment half day trips. that when we go we go for full weekends, or full weeks where possible.

it makes it a destination though. I don't see any problems. keep your vehicle in good maintained order though. car trouble at night in BFE is a real bummer.

Outdoorsman
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: txtrophy85] #5841344 07/21/15 05:45 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
we used to hunt in leakey when we lived in the hill country and it was close to a 5 hour drive when it was all said and done. we went about every weekend. hunted the mornings sunday and came home

Ranch I hunt now is about 5 1/2 hours away but I plan my trips to stay for a little while before turning around and heading home.

in 3 weeks I'm gonna make a 22 hour drive to go hunt. its all about how passionate you are about it

What he said. If you like hunting as much as a lot of us then that drive is nothing. I drove 8.5 hours one way for 15+ years and now drive 6.5 one way. Many times I go up to fill/check on feeders and come straight back.

Feeder pen for sure and I'd handle that thief of a neighbor sooner rather than later. 2cents

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841356 07/21/15 05:50 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Great, you guys are making it sound doable since I will not have to do the feeder filling or stuff like that.
1-2 trips to get everything set up and have some help keeping feeder filled and checking the camera.

I'm glad I typed that out as a list of what needs to be done and how to get it done.

Now I need to educate myself on Feeders and cameras.

We picked September to set up the feeder so that we can dove hunt the morning and put up the feeder in the afternoon. (different areas, not baiting dove.)

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841390 07/21/15 06:03 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
my advice is to spend the money on good feeders.

we buy all seasons or hang'em high and put all seasons control units on them, fill them up and set them off once in the evening for 3 seconds until a week before season then we switch to 6 seconds morning and evening.

Solar panels keep batteries charged. your that far away last thing you want to worry about is equipment. I'm busy so I don't get to make it to the ranch as much as I used to so depending on equipment is easier when its quality.

IMO, just about everything you need to do on an avg. lease (not having to worry about stock and water lines, etc.) can be done in a few weekends from late sept. thru mid October. save for filling protein feeders (if you choose to do so) once every thing is set up and in place.

I feed very little from my spin feeders, I let most of my corn loose from the tail gate feeder

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841449 07/21/15 06:38 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
IMHO I think your making a mistake putting up a pen in September thinking your going to has deer in November. You would be better off buying a 12 volt hoist type feeder that will cast the corn 10' to 15' out. Cows won't mess with it and the deer will be more likely to start coming into it sooner if they don't have to jump into a pen.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841453 07/21/15 06:41 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I don't think I'll be corning the field too much due to the cattle. The place is several 80-90 acre pastures but the interior fences and gates are not cattle proof at the moment. It would take a lot of work to gate off the cattle for hunting and the grazing lessee might not like that too much.

There is another pasture on a remote tract across the creek the cattle don't seem to graze but you have to drive around on the road to get to because the creek is not crossable. I might take that on as another site next year. I think the lessee moves the cattle there by trailer in dry years when he wants it grazed. Not a problem this year.

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: HornSlayer] #5841457 07/21/15 06:43 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: HornSlayer
IMHO I think your making a mistake putting up a pen in September thinking your going to has deer in November. You would be better off buying a 12 volt hoist type feeder that will cast the corn 10' to 15' out. Cows won't mess with it and the deer will be more likely to start coming into it sooner if they don't have to jump into a pen.

2 months isn't early enough? How early do you think it needs to be?
I might be able to get it done in mid-August but the heat...

Another thing is that this area does not seem to have high density hunting pressure. We currently have one feeder two pastures over and the neighboring properties do not seem to have a lot of feeders or blinds up. A mile or two away you see deer hunting operations but not in this particular area.

It's also adjacent to a hardwood creek bottom and between the creek bottom and a wheat/milo field.

Last edited by TexasEd; 07/21/15 06:54 PM.

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841465 07/21/15 06:49 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
It might take them a month to find the corn. Typically, deer just don't go jumping into a pens. You have to train them over time that there will be feed in there. The whole point of a pen is to keep the cows away. Cows have a hard time picking corn up off the ground and will give up if the corn is spread out over a 30' diameter area. As long as the cows don't associate your feeder with a food source they won't stick around.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841609 07/21/15 09:17 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Don't put too much stock in any of us Internet experts. Work when and how you want to and can. This is supposed to be fun and it ain't rocket science.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: Creekrunner] #5841612 07/21/15 09:21 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Don't put too much stock in any of us Internet experts. Work when and how you want to and can. This is supposed to be fun and it ain't rocket science.

It's not rocket science. Lots of deer are killed with not a lot of effort

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841622 07/21/15 09:27 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I would set up as soon as possible if it were me. I would be curious as to what is out there....and I would build a pen out of panels to keep the cows out.

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841628 07/21/15 09:32 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
never say never; i just bought a new place - setup a gamecam & threw a couple handfulls of corn out - 2 days later have 2 bucks and a doe coming by daily.
used to drive 6.5 hours one-way to family land.
Build it; they will come!

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841708 07/21/15 10:25 PM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I set a feeder pen 3 weeks before opening day last season because the cows had been moved to my pasture and were literally camped out under my feeder. Of the 2000 photos I had on my camera I bet 1990 of them were of cows. I built a 40' by 40' pen and had photos of deer inside the pen within a few days. By opening weekend the deer were completely comfortable in the feeder pen. So, I think you're original plan of building the pen and putting up the feeder in September will work fine.

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: Wilhunt] #5841721 07/21/15 10:33 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: wilhunt
I would set up as soon as possible if it were me. I would be curious as to what is out there....and I would build a pen out of panels to keep the cows out.

with it being so green right now in most areas deer aren't coming to feed anyway. you put up a trail cam on a feeder your gonna be disappointed with what your gonna see

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841728 07/21/15 10:37 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
350 miles to one lease and 425 to the other and rarely miss a weekend during season, every 3-6 weeks during the off season...

Can't shoot them sitting at the house

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841730 07/21/15 10:39 PM
T
texas wetlands Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
TexasEd- Your just getting warmed up at 4.5 hours. We drive 6.5 and wouldn't trade it for nothing. It's well worth it when we get there.

As far as the feed pens we've had to leave them open (one Panel) to get the deer used to coming in them, then close it up completely.

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841738 07/21/15 10:41 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
If I do 8 and a half panels that will make a circle roughly 40 feet in diameter. Smaller than a 40x40' square in area but should be better against hogs from what I've read.

The Bermuda is high and barely been grazed by the cattle I don't think deer eat Bermuda but there are plenty of green things to browse right now.

With the cattle I don't think I can leave an open panel. probably be downed the next day. I can try it while we're there for the weekend. Might also put a mineral block in the pen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide