Forums46
Topics537,030
Posts9,719,592
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841757 07/21/15 10:57 PM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
3.5 hrs would be a dream for a lot of guys grin

[Linked Image]
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841792 07/21/15 11:23 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I live on the South East side of Houston and our lease is in Pipe Creek. If I'm by myself and really moving, I can get there in just under 4 hours. With the kids and the required stops at Buckey's, HEB, Home Depot, Walmart, McDonalds ..., it can run anywhere between 4.5 and 5.5. After the first few trips, you get used to it. During the season, I will probably get out there at least 5 or 6 weekends and I will usually spend some time before Thanksgiving and Christmas getting things ready for the post holiday trips with the kids. Off season, we probably go 4 or 5 weekends to fish or just hang out.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5841798 07/21/15 11:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
My first hunt this year is 9 hrs
second hunt is 7hrs

Everything else is 3-6hrs depending where I go

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: gtrich94] #5841980 07/22/15 01:03 AM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: gtrich94
I live on the South East side of Houston and our lease is in Pipe Creek. If I'm by myself and really moving, I can get there in just under 4 hours. With the kids and the required stops at Buckey's, HEB, Home Depot, Walmart, McDonalds ..., it can run anywhere between 4.5 and 5.5. After the first few trips, you get used to it. During the season, I will probably get out there at least 5 or 6 weekends and I will usually spend some time before Thanksgiving and Christmas getting things ready for the post holiday trips with the kids. Off season, we probably go 4 or 5 weekends to fish or just hang out.

that sounds about right, kids and wives can turn a 5hr trip to 6.5hr real quick

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5842828 07/22/15 03:29 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
if wanting to keep hogs out, build a pen.

on my lease in Llano county, there are cattle and all my feeders are open (no pen) and yes the cattle will come by frequently when up in the area but usually don't hang around very long, leaving corn for the deer and hogs. I have them staked down with t-posts, so the cows don't tip them over. I have given thought to building a fairly large pen using 2-3 strands of barbed wire to keep cows out but deer & hogs could easily go under or taking the 20'x50" cattle panels and cutting them in half lengthwise to make a low pen but would have to raise some sections if I wanted to attract the hogs.

out in Ozona, I have pens on all feeders as there is little to nothing for the livestock (cattle & horses) to eat and they tear the heck out of feeders even staked down. I am guessing pushing/shoving/fighting under the feeders. There aren't any hogs out there on our portion, nor do I want them if they are there. The last pen I built, I used 20'x50" cattle panels (7 or 8) and cut a couple in half lengthwise but raised them about a foot off the ground (top being about 34-36" high to keep livestock out and low enough for deer to jump. At one location around the pen, I put 2 t-posts about a foot apart, running a twisted wire about a foot high and another about 4 foot high, as an opening for the fawns/yearlings to pass thru with ease but not big enough for a cow's head. I also cut one of the panels in half, leaving a 10' section as a gate to where I could open and back the truck in to fill feeder from tailgate.

of all my running feeders (~10), they are all straight leg that I can fill up from the truck bed except one. That one has a ladder/platform and the bottom of the barrel is at least 10' high. That one gets torn up the most by coons as the ladder doesn't slow them down and they use the cage as a trapeze and have ripped it off the barrel more times than I can count. I do more repair on that one feeder over all the others combined. Hopefully I have that cured with enough self tapping screws holding the cage in place. In other words, I would highly recommend NOT getting one with a ladder ... straight leg or winch up would be my preference and leaving a path/gate to fill from truck bed (on straight leg) or small gate for winch up.

as for the drive, most of my hunting locations are within an hour to hour & half drive ... but the place in Ozona is roughly 5.5 hours one way to the gate. During the off season, I do a day trip out to check/fill feeders, leave about 6:30 am, hit the ranch around noon to 1:00 (depending on if I stop to eat/fuel), fill/work feeders/pens, leave around 3:00-4:00, back home 8:30-9:30. Yes, it makes for a long day and a lot of driving. I do this about every other month during the off season. During Season, I usually go out 3-5 times, leave home after work on Friday, puts me to camp in time to get some sleep, hunt all day Sat. & Sun., leave after dark and get home before midnight. I usually will make a 3-4 day hunt during the first week of season, sitting multiple stands merely checking out what is out there and their patterns (more of a mini vacation) not really expecting to kill anything, just scoping things out.

anyway, in a nutshell, if you want to keep hogs out, build a pen. Get a straight leg or winch up feeder (12vdc with solar panel & good timer), leave gate (walk thru for winch up, 8'+ for straight leg), and enjoy your time out in the woods...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: PMK] #5842927 07/22/15 04:27 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: PMK

anyway, in a nutshell, if you want to keep hogs out, build a pen. Get a straight leg or winch up feeder (12vdc with solar panel & good timer), leave gate (walk thru for winch up, 8'+ for straight leg), and enjoy your time out in the woods...

Thanks, PMK.

I think I'll build the pen with one panel open and see what the cattle do that first weekend. Thanks for the advice on the straight legs too. I was just about set on the ladder type feeder.

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5843020 07/22/15 05:35 PM
S
Southtexas36 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
11 hours one way, wouldn't trade it for anything. up

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5843054 07/22/15 05:59 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
LOL ... if you are going to the trouble to build a pen, build it complete, full circle/square. Just leave one panel where you can unwire one end to open as a gate to back the truck in to fill. I just leave a small opening, like 10-12 inches wide between 2 t-posts so the little ones can get in to eat. Little hogs will get in there too though.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5843445 07/22/15 10:04 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
TexasEd, if I were you, I would go simple the first year and then you will know what to do based upon your scenario - it'll be obvious. I would spend the money for a good crank-up. I doubt if you'll have many problems from cows. If so, you can always adjust as needed.

You'll likely have more issues with coons, hogs, and relatives. Especially relatives.

While am i big believer in cams, in your case as soon as relatives/neighbors find out you have a good deer coming - they'll shoot him for you. I would play my cards very close to the vest.

Nothing will aggravate you more than to spend all the money, time, effort, corn, cams, etc. building up a nice little place to hunt only to have a friend, brother, friend of a friend of a friend, sneak out there and shoot the deer you've spent all the effort to take care of. Don't think it won't happen. Or worse yet - shoot ALL the deer.

I've heard too many sad stories on small family places like this that are only a few hundred acres and people shooting 10-15 deer off them of all sizes and ages/sexes and in a year it two get completely shot out.

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5844068 07/23/15 05:00 AM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Yeah, the plan is to put the game cam in a lock box and not publicize that it even exists. just my brother and I will know.

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5844112 07/23/15 11:04 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I was once on a lease that was 4-4.5 hrs, got to be a drag after each season for me. Some of the guys that sat behind a desk all day didn't seem to mind, so I think it will depend on how you tolerate a longer drive. I made the drive for 3 years before I burned out and the lease price almost doubled, was one of the best leases I have ever been on as far as hunting is concerned.

It does seem like you get more days alone when everyone has to drive that far though, especially if you can go during the week. One thing I learned real quick, don't forget anything LOL

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: John Humbert] #5845515 07/24/15 03:10 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: John Humbert
TexasEd, if I were you, I would go simple the first year and then you will know what to do based upon your scenario - it'll be obvious. I would spend the money for a good crank-up. I doubt if you'll have many problems from cows. If so, you can always adjust as needed.

This is my advice as well. You don't realize how easy it is to hit a cattle panel until you try to shoot through one. rifle realmad

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5845669 07/24/15 10:35 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I drive that each time I go to the lease. It all depends on what your driving to. I enjoy the property and roaming around and letting the stress out as much as the hunting itself. I can't say that about all the leases I've had. That's why if you find one that's worth the drive you'll know and live with it just fine. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: Western] #5845700 07/24/15 11:40 AM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Western
I was once on a lease that was 4-4.5 hrs, got to be a drag after each season for me. Some of the guys that sat behind a desk all day didn't seem to mind, so I think it will depend on how you tolerate a longer drive. I made the drive for 3 years before I burned out and the lease price almost doubled, was one of the best leases I have ever been on as far as hunting is concerned.

It does seem like you get more days alone when everyone has to drive that far though, especially if you can go during the week. One thing I learned real quick, don't forget anything LOL

I agree Western, for me it depends a lot on whether I'm driving myself or have company. Making that drive each and every week/weekend would get old inside of a season or two. Currently have a two hour drive ea. way and that for me is how I like it.

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: DQ Kid] #5845702 07/24/15 11:41 AM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Originally Posted By: Western

I agree Western, for me it depends a lot on whether I'm driving myself or have company. Making that drive each and every week/weekend would get old inside of a season or two. Currently have a two hour drive ea. way and that for me is how I like it.

This assumes just myself going each time, with some good buddies it'd be easier to tolerate..

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5845777 07/24/15 12:55 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I had a lease that was 326 miles from my door to the old camphouse on the lease. The first year I hunted without any feeder at all. The lease was fairly large so I did a lot of glassing and walk/stalk hunting. I ended up killing 24"+ inside 9 point that year. I hunted the opening weekend then the week of Thanksgiving. The second year I drove up and hunted almost every weekend by myself, still did not have a feeder out. I saw a lot of bucks but did miss an offhanded shot at a huge buck at 160-170 yrds. My last year I hunted 21 days and put up 2 feeders. I hunted most every weekend by myself except for Thanksgiving week. I killed an old 7 point that year. The only part of the drive I hated was the drive home. I never really wanted to come back home...lol. I know hunt about 7-7.5 hrs away, but usually make one trip out and stay all of the mule deer season.
If it were me, I knew it was a long term lease I would invest in the feed pen and feeder the first year. I would probably hunt out of tripod at first so I could move it if needed. The feed pen will keep the cattle and hogs away. Just make sure it is large enough to keep all the corn inside the pen.
Most of all, have fun. The anticipation of the hunt can be as fun, if not more fun than hunting. Having fun will make those long days between trips more tolerable.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5850747 07/27/15 10:23 PM
BigBucky2014 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I live in Houston and have a lease 1/2 way between Abilene and Ft. Worth. Takes me right at 4hr 15min to get there if I haul. I don't mind the drive. I make it out probably 4 or 5 weekends during season with 1 5-7 day trip mixed in. That's usually plenty to fill my tags and get the kids some hunting as well. Hunting isn't the tough part, it's making the trips this time of year to put in the work. It sucks to drive that far to work your butt off, but I don't mind too much since I know what it means in October-January.

FYI - in my instance, there's not much closer that's affordable or any good. I looked for a year with no luck.

Keith

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: BigBucky2014] #5850812 07/27/15 11:22 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Build a great pen and put the best feeder you can afford in it. Don't skimp with a drive like that- it's not worth it.

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5851825 07/28/15 04:18 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
My drive is about 4:30, I can make it in about 4:05 if I crowd it and only stop once (quickly) for gas. If I add the dogs and wife it pushes to about 5:00, not to mention the extra hour to pack and load for the dogs and the wife (she takes FOUR EV ER). I don't like getting there late on Friday night and getting up in 5-6 hours to hunt, but that's what it takes. My 'lease' is free so getting something closer is not an option and you can't beat freefittyfree.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5853763 07/29/15 06:25 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Your absolutely nuts, that is the point.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5857379 07/31/15 09:08 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
We're all nuts

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5857385 07/31/15 09:13 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TexasEd
We're all nuts

An honest man!

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." - Dr. Demento

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5859980 08/02/15 08:57 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
We made a 4-4.5 hour trip every weekend for years from the DFW metro to Mason...... not sure I would do it another season

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5860027 08/02/15 09:30 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I drive 12 hours to my ranch in Oklahoma to hunt, 11 hours to my farm in Missouri to hunt and 10 hours to my family farm in Kansas to hunt.....so, 4.5hrs is nothing!

Re: Am I nuts? 4.5 hours drive for hunting - first deer blind in over 35 years [Re: TexasEd] #5868194 08/07/15 07:30 PM
L
LTJK Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L
yep, me too... I have a 4.5 hour drive out to northern Glasscock County to some remote raw land that's been in the family for almost a hundred years. For sure, it's a long boring drive, but to me, it's the whole hunting experience I'm after. Filling and maintaining feeders may seem like work to some, but not to me. I first started going out there 2 years ago and set up 2 decent feeders and a couple cheap blinds. I get motivated and head out there every month or 2 to check the cameras and fill the feeders.
There are some frustrations... like when I had a camera stolen the first year... or when a blind gets blown over... or when the raccoons tear up a timer box... but the time spent out there is such a big stress relief to me, it's all worth it.
Now if I can only get my first whitetail this year...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide