It might be toxic but animals generally don't eat it and birds are immune.
Regarding pet, livestock, an other animal poisoning, Owen notes that "birds are apparently immune to this poison" and that animals usually do not eat the plant because of its bitter taste." The OARDC scientists echo the lack of animal palatability, and note that "most animals avoid eating it unless little else is available, or if it is in contaminated hay. Horses, sheep and cattle have been poisoned by eating fresh leaves or green fodder, and pigs have been poisoned by eating the roots."https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytolacca_americana