6245103 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5840087 - 07/20/15 05:01 PM Entry level AR
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker

Looking to get a good entry level AR.
Just a basic flat top with open sights and scope rail.
Will be used for nothing in particular. Maybe killing varmits and pigs when opportunity presents itself.
Any suggestions?
I noticed academy had a Smith I believe for around 5 but doesn't have a forward assist or dust cover.
Also have a dpms for cheap but was told the lower was made of plastic of some sort.
I'm not opposed to buying second hand.

#5840091 - 07/20/15 05:04 PM Re: Entry level AR [Re: Big Daddy K]
okstatefan Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Forney, TX

#5840113 - 07/20/15 05:22 PM Re: Entry level AR [Re: okstatefan]
Obrien Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Austin
Originally Posted By: okstatefan
Can you evaluate the reasons for beginners?

#5840121 - 07/20/15 05:25 PM Re: Entry level AR [Re: Big Daddy K]
ralph Offline
Veteran Tracker

I just got a S&W M&P Sport- the AR without the forward assist and dust cover. I shot it for the first time Saturday and...I love it!

Iron sights- nothing fancy- but it is accurate and just plain fun. I wanted an AR for basically the same reasons you give.

My son who has a $1400 Rock River set up and my BIL who has a high dollar AR-10 set up were quite impressed (maybe even a bit jealous) with what I got for $610 before tax.

I did a lot of research and for MY purposes the M&P Sport is exactly what I wanted.

I will say that it did come down to a choice between the S&W Sport and the Ruger AR-556 and I picked the S&W.

Don't think you can go wrong with either one.

#5840126 - 07/20/15 05:29 PM Re: Entry level AR [Re: Obrien]
okstatefan Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Forney, TX
Originally Posted By: Obrien

The price is right and Ruger has a reputation for producing quality firearms. It also includes a rear site; many manufacturers do not. The front sight is also "F" marked; meaning it is of the correct "mil-spec" height. It is also one of the few rifles in the price range with forward assist and dust cover; if those are important considerations.

The M&P line is also an excellent rifle. I happen to have the big brother in .308 with hundreds of flawless rounds fired.

#5840160 - 07/20/15 05:43 PM Re: Entry level AR [Re: Big Daddy K]
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker

In all my years carrying the old m16A1 I can't recall ever really using the forward assist except with blanks.
That being said I still want the forward assist and dust cover.
I'll look at the ruger this weekend.
Not really wanting a gun fighter/operator type at this point.
I guess everything new is M4 style now.
Wouldn't mind having a old school A1 or A2 but if I scope it ( which I will) the handle looks silly and ya gotta raise your head to see the optics. Or at least I did with the old starlight NV scope on the A1.

#5840165 - 07/20/15 05:46 PM Re: Entry level AR [Re: okstatefan]
BigPig Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
Originally Posted By: Obrien

The price is right and Ruger has a reputation for producing quality firearms. It also includes a rear site; many manufacturers do not. The front sight is also "F" marked; meaning it is of the correct "mil-spec" height. It is also one of the few rifles in the price range with forward assist and dust cover; if those are important considerations.

The M&P line is also an excellent rifle. I happen to have the big brother in .308 with hundreds of flawless rounds fired.

I liked the Ruger when I was looking a few months back. I did not like the front sight because it has the set pins on top of the barrel, it's not all that bad, but requires the use of a clamp on gas block of ever changed. Other than that, I liked it over the M&P sport which my wife has. The M&P has been flawless though

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#5840167 - 07/20/15 05:48 PM Re: Entry level AR [Re: Big Daddy K]
Tactical Cowboy Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Abilene
DPMS Oracle at Buds for $500.

#5840323 - 07/20/15 07:26 PM Re: Entry level AR [Re: Big Daddy K]
Fat Tony Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Fort Worth
I picked up a Delton Sport this past Saturday. I paid a good price for it at WebyShops in Arlington. I'm quite happy with it.

#5840328 - 07/20/15 07:28 PM Re: Entry level AR [Re: Big Daddy K]
bigbob_ftw Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: White Settlement, TX.
Originally Posted By: Big Daddy K
In all my years carrying the old m16A1 I can't recall ever really using the forward assist except with blanks.
Wouldn't mind having a old school A1 or A2 but if I scope it ( which I will) the handle looks silly and ya gotta raise your head to see the optics. Or at least I did with the old starlight NV scope on the A1.

Yep. I have on old a2. No scope here.

#5840508 - 07/20/15 09:12 PM Re: Entry level AR [Re: Big Daddy K]
GasGuzzler Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Cooke County, Texas
I added an A2 handle because it's just right. Don't need a scope when the other works fine.

BUILD YOUR OWN from a kit or parts, much cheaper in the long run. Den-Ton makes good stuff.

#5840509 - 07/20/15 09:13 PM Re: Entry level AR [Re: Big Daddy K]
Tactical Cowboy Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Abilene

Mine started life with a 20" barrel, A2 sight, and removable carry handle. Long barrels are out there; they're just not as common.

#5841273 - 07/21/15 12:01 PM Re: Entry level AR [Re: Tactical Cowboy]
bigbob_ftw Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: White Settlement, TX.
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Mine started life with a 20" barrel, A2 sight, and removable carry handle. Long barrels are out there; they're just not as common.

I have a 20. I like it because I can reach out there a LONG way. don't know the twist though.

#5841319 - 07/21/15 12:32 PM Re: Entry level AR [Re: Big Daddy K]
DocHorton Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: DFW
Radical Firearms. They are having some awesome deals right now on some pretty nice quality guns, they are located in Houston but will ship. I have bought probably 5 or 6 from them.

http://www.radicalfirearms.com/

#5841644 - 07/21/15 04:40 PM Re: Entry level AR [Re: Big Daddy K]
Colt W. Knight Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: West Virginia
Ive never used the forward assist while shooting, but that dust cover sure comes in handy out here in the desert. Our desert doesn't look like the Sahara or anything, but if you are shooting close to the ground that damn sand finds a way to get into everything. I really notice when I shoot my bolt action 22. You can feel every little grit of sand when shooting with that.

I put a really nice Leupold scope on my Colt 6920 because I justfied buying it by telling myself it would be my varmint rifle. In hind sight, I wouldve saved all that money I put into my scope and mounts and just shot the Magpul sigths that came with the gun. They are great in the daylight and the they are right in line with my eye.

Edited by Colt W. Knight (07/21/15 04:42 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide