Forums46
Topics538,039
Posts9,732,249
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Texas Dan] #5846434 07/24/15 06:43 PM
T
Texmel Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I subscribe to Deer and Deer Hunting Mag. Find that it does not "really" cover conditions in SW area. Best info on Deer population is on Texas Fish & Wildlife web sites. It's principally focused on the USA Northern/Northeastern Sector.

Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: txtrophy85] #5846773 07/24/15 09:43 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

... and starbucks coffee

Hey now, that's stepping over the line, crazy talk...

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Texas Dan] #5847506 07/25/15 12:55 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I hunt mostly East Texas and never kill does. I leave that for the more desperate hunters. I have killed two does in 26 years of hunting East Texas. I get absolutely no pleasure out of shooting does, other than some meat. I would rather shoot a hog any day. I don't see a lot of deer, but I would guess the ratio at 2 bucks to 8 does. I really don't see this as a problem. I start killin all the baby carriers and then theres no babies. If I want to pull the trigger for the extra kill, there is more than enough coyotes and hogs. Now that's a real deer killer along with car collisions. They don't need my help with their deer herd survival. I could guess that a lot of the deer herd body weights going up is also contributed to people spending millions of dollars on food plots and feed. Think about it. I don't feed my deer, but have tried a few drought ridden food plots in the past. Not anymore. I like a natural setting. Most of the bucks I kill are plenty heavy. One spot with too many hogs, sometimes throws some uneven buck weights. Probably fighting hogs for food is bad. up

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: nsmike] #5847552 07/25/15 01:35 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: nsmike
There are areas of Minnesota that just went through deer population goal reassessment. They found out that the previous goal had been too low in most of the management areas, because the forestry department, had overstated it's case for sustainable forests and the impact of deer on them. After things were brought into better alignment, a few areas stayed the same, but most got a substantial increase in population goal. Don't underestimate the impact of the green forest crowd.

Yup. Management agencies are staffed by graduates of the universities, and we all know what kinds of things take place in the universities. A good deal of it is politically motivated corruption of science.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Texas Dan] #5848531 07/26/15 10:39 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
At one time I was loaded with deer herds but am no longer. My small 133 acre place is just south of Bowie. And, they were all healthy. Then TPWD said to kill does because we had too many deer. I drank the Koolaid and now it's not unusual to hunt all weekend and see nothing. I'm the only hunter around but my non hunting neighbors say the same thing. The deer could possibly still be there but have all gone nocturnal. I'm still planting wheat but the food plots don't get hit like they used to. TPWD says that we have 18 to 24 deer per section but I used to see that many hitting the wheat in front of my house.

The wild card is that we have also had a lot of droughts and I have no idea what would have happened with that many deer. Another wild card is that more people have moved in on 20 to 30 acre ranchettes. But, they don't hunt.

I have often thought that TPWD looked at the runts in the Hill country and extrapolated them to the whole State.

OTOH, I remember seeing starving deer herds in Possum Kingdom State Park in the 60's. This was before any hunting was allowed and during a serious drought. It was pretty pitiful and Mama Nature culled most of them.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 07/26/15 10:46 AM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Texas Dan] #5848605 07/26/15 01:04 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
I have seen a change in deer numbers here at home. In the 80's they were thick here in Cass/Morris counties. We still have a very nice herd, but not like the 80's. In the SE panhandle I saw mule deer occasionally and damn near fainted when I saw my first whitetail in 84. We dove hunted, turkey hunted, and quail hunted, but wasn't worth our time to hunt deer. My dad actually thought I was crazy for moving a blind from Menard to Wellington in 94. Now we can see herds of 50-100 in wheat and peanut fields and have 20 deer at a time in our pens.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Dave Davidson] #5848774 07/26/15 03:16 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
At one time I was loaded with deer herds but am no longer. My small 133 acre place is just south of Bowie. And, they were all healthy. Then TPWD said to kill does because we had too many deer. I drank the Koolaid and now it's not unusual to hunt all weekend and see nothing. I'm the only hunter around but my non hunting neighbors say the same thing. The deer could possibly still be there but have all gone nocturnal. I'm still planting wheat but the food plots don't get hit like they used to. TPWD says that we have 18 to 24 deer per section but I used to see that many hitting the wheat in front of my house.

The wild card is that we have also had a lot of droughts and I have no idea what would have happened with that many deer. Another wild card is that more people have moved in on 20 to 30 acre ranchettes. But, they don't hunt.

I have often thought that TPWD looked at the runts in the Hill country and extrapolated them to the whole State.

OTOH, I remember seeing starving deer herds in Possum Kingdom State Park in the 60's. This was before any hunting was allowed and during a serious drought. It was pretty pitiful and Mama Nature culled most of them.

How many does did you kill off 133 acres?

My guess would look at another reason for your lack of deer

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: REALKILLER] #5848780 07/26/15 03:20 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
I hunt mostly East Texas and never kill does. I leave that for the more desperate hunters. I have killed two does in 26 years of hunting East Texas. I get absolutely no pleasure out of shooting does, other than some meat. I would rather shoot a hog any day. I don't see a lot of deer, but I would guess the ratio at 2 bucks to 8 does. I really don't see this as a problem. I start killin all the baby carriers and then theres no babies. If I want to pull the trigger for the extra kill, there is more than enough coyotes and hogs. Now that's a real deer killer along with car collisions. They don't need my help with their deer herd survival. I could guess that a lot of the deer herd body weights going up is also contributed to people spending millions of dollars on food plots and feed. Think about it. I don't feed my deer, but have tried a few drought ridden food plots in the past. Not anymore. I like a natural setting. Most of the bucks I kill are plenty heavy. One spot with too many hogs, sometimes throws some uneven buck weights. Probably fighting hogs for food is bad. up

So you have a 1:4 ratio

Killing does to balance the ratio is good management. It's a fact.

Fawn survival is the key to population growth not carrying a bunch of does

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: txtrophy85] #5848784 07/26/15 03:22 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson

How many does did you kill off 133 acres?

My guess would look at another reason for your lack of deer

Define killing all the does on your place with a number per year and the over years. Were all the neighbors drinking that Koolaid and killed all their does at the same time? Something is not adding up till the ranchettes part. I can not imagine a 1000 acre ranch selling into 30-50 ranchettes and not having one single person hunt their own ranch. All it would take is 8-10 of those ranchettes killing their tags and their family killing their tags off their ranchette to cause a problem sooner than one ranch killing a lot of does.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: RiverRider] #5848972 07/26/15 06:02 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Originally Posted By: nsmike
There are areas of Minnesota that just went through deer population goal reassessment. They found out that the previous goal had been too low in most of the management areas, because the forestry department, had overstated it's case for sustainable forests and the impact of deer on them. After things were brought into better alignment, a few areas stayed the same, but most got a substantial increase in population goal. Don't underestimate the impact of the green forest crowd.

Yup. Management agencies are staffed by graduates of the universities, and we all know what kinds of things take place in the universities. A good deal of it is politically motivated corruption of science.

Interesting that you mention that. I've taken D&DH for many years, and have found it to be one of the most independent and less commercial-driven magazines related to hunting and wildlife management. And it shows by the fact that a subscription runs about twice what you pay for Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, and others that often appear more driven to sell merchandise than to press the issues.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Texas Dan] #5848995 07/26/15 06:24 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Impugning the publication is not my objective. That said, every writer and researcher is an individual and is imbued with his or her own agenda and prejudices. When I see someone declare that there's a nationwide problem, I smell a nationwide "solution" in the offing. I don't believe anyone here would suggest that the deer herds should be managed through any kind of a national game management policy and Id bet that there's just about 100% agreement that small management units are best.

Yeah, I'm a bit suspicious.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: RiverRider] #5849619 07/27/15 03:03 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
When I see someone declare that there's a nationwide problem, I smell a nationwide "solution" in the offing. I don't believe anyone here would suggest that the deer herds should be managed through any kind of a national game management policy and Id bet that there's just about 100% agreement that small management units are best.

That's pretty much what the QDMA followers did many years ago when they first claimed most states had far too many deer.

The article itself makes no mention of the need for a nationwide effort, but simply suggests that it might be time to give doe a break in some areas of the Northeast and Southeast.

Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Texas Dan] #5849739 07/27/15 08:53 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
I do feel the numbers have declined some, but I believe it has more to do with the many years of drought than necessarily management practices.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Texas Dan] #5850277 07/27/15 05:42 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
The discussion brings to mind how many hunters are active readers of information and reports on hunting and wildlife in order to stay informed and increase their overall knowledge and understanding. Many of us have heard the term "low information voter" used in the political realm. You have to wonder if the same applies to a significant segment of the hunting community.

Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Texas Dan] #5853738 07/29/15 06:15 PM
D
DCmac Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I don't get the magazine, so don't know exactly what the article says. Opening post makes me wonder where the numbers came from. Harvest statistics? My personal experience is that the number of deer hunters has plummeted over the past 15-20 years. I've been hunting the same Oklahoma public management area since the mid-1980s and it used to be almost impossible to find a place to park the truck off the road. The past few years I've seen hardly any other vehicles at all, and very rarely have I seen another hunter in the woods.

FWIW. Past 10-12 years I've noticed little if any change in the number of bucks I've seen, at least one each day (usually waaaay out of range), sometimes as many as 10-12. But there's been a steady increase in the does I've seen. The past few years it almost seems like I can't walk but a couple hundred yards without jumping another doe, often with a fawn or two. And from my stands it's gone from seeing one, two or three individual does at a time to often seeing small herds of several.

9x19mm--Anything bigger is statistically insignificant.
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Texas Dan] #5855505 07/30/15 05:36 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
probably a cloudy argument all the way around. I'm not overly well read on what total estimated state deer populations are. it would not surprise me to know that total population from say 100yrs ago until today is actually down and just seems like its up because so much habitat has been lost to development that there are fewer deer in less space and it just seems like more. all told though I don't think the states deer population is in any danger. certainly not in any danger from doe harvest. habitat loss will continue to be a problem...I would think that would make doe harvest increasingly important.

these days too you probably have way more supplemental feeding taking place than you ever did before and way fewer people relying on the deer as a primary food source, so maybe the population overall has actually held steady. or grown.

you will always have areas of just naturally low deer density, or excessive hunting practices where it would be important to protect does. and you'll have plenty areas where this is not an issue and many need to be removed with regularity.

habitat loss has to be a huge player though.

Outdoorsman
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Erich] #5855814 07/30/15 08:49 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Erich

habitat loss has to be a huge player though.

In some areas, different methods of timber management are really affecting numbers. Used to, companies would just clear cut, row, replant, thin in 15-20, cut in 25-30. Now they're cutting, air spraying to kill off browse so saplings/seedlings get a good start (sometimes up to 5years) and other than cover, provides zero nutritional benefits to thousands and thousands of acres. (will actually occur on 1.4 million acres in Tx at some point just due to the company that owns it). I understand that's a drop in the bucket on acreage in the state, but it's an area that can normally hold a ton of deer.

Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Texas Dan] #5856268 07/31/15 01:47 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
I can only speak of my area of the state (Eastland/Callahan Counties. Deer numbers are down. The drought is a factor but over hunting also comes into the picture in my vicinity. The properties all around me are constantly being sold and subdivided with more and more owner/hunters coming into the picture. The latest place to change hands was a little over 300 acres in size. An elderly gentleman and his son hunted the place until 2013. Today it is divided into three parcels and each owner has a "buddy" that hunts with him plus the occasional grandkid. We are not prime deer country and do not have the numbers that you see in Central Texas and other areas. My part of the state can not withstand that type of hunting pressure.

Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Texas Dan] #5856317 07/31/15 02:11 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
aeb, where exactly are you at? Always assumed you were around Roby for some reason.

Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Texas Dan] #5856352 07/31/15 02:27 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
HQ place is between Moran and Cisco on Highway 6.

Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Texas Dan] #5856354 07/31/15 02:30 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Thank you, not sure why I had it stuck in my head that you were further West.

Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: rifleman] #5856412 07/31/15 03:11 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I'll agree that predators play a big part in declines. Especially where wolves are re-established.

But huge areas in Michigan and Wisconsin and other Midwest states lost up to 80% of their herds due to EHD a couple of years back. Hunters don't ever have that kind of impact over large areas.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Texas Dan] #5856703 07/31/15 01:34 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I have a friend that has trail cam pics of coyotes taking a 2 year old buck down at a feeder and killing him. The coyotes where I hunt thrive because all of the extra hog meat. So I think that with the good health from good eating produces more pups, and healthier more powerful adult coyotes with enough power to take down an adult sized deer. I focus way way more on killing the ones who rob the deer than the deer itself. The deer can get their numbers right if I can get the coyote and hog populations down. I can hear six packs sound off every evening and the hogs, man. Killed about ten yotes last year, and average 75 hogs a year. Now that's got to do something for the deer. If the does ever get out control Ill let you know about it. up

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Texas Dan] #5860040 08/02/15 09:48 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
So where was the study done?
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Yes, it appears the decades of liberal doe harvesting touted by those who hid behind a "balanced herd" approach in order to grow more and bigger trophies has caught up with us.

The article "No More Doe Hunting?" in the current (August) issue of Deer and Deer Hunting magazine is worth a read.

While the article suggests that increased loss to predators is the cause of declining numbers, you don't need a degree in Wildlife Biology to realize that liberal doe harvesting has left fewer doe to overcome the decreasing fawn survival rates.

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Fact - Deer numbers in North America are declining [Re: Texas Dan] #5860046 08/02/15 09:51 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Northeast.... Southeast...... East Texas...... all different areas with different populations that you can't make a blanket study of. Besides, what to wildlife biologist know?
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: redchevy
We have 320 acres and kill over 10 does a year for the past couple seasons and just a couple bucks0-3 normally. Our population has at least maintained and more than likely grown a little.

The article draws attention to separate studies in the Northeast and Southeast where deer numbers appear to have dropped most.

The article also points out that the focus on reducing the doe population really took off in the 80's and 90's before these areas had significant predator populations, including coyotes. The data follows what I observed back in the early 80's in Mississippi and the "deer a day" approach that hunters took as the QDMA looked on with encouragement. In those days, it was not uncommon to see 600 acre leases with ten hunters take 30 or 40 doe in a single season. When we first participated in the TPWD LAMPS Program back in the 80's, a 600 acre lease in East Texas would have yielded just six doe tags.

We can thank the more conservative approach of the TPWD who never bought in so deeply to "doe mania" for protecting our deer numbers.

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide