Print Thread
Vet recommendation (Near Frisco/Mckinney) #5839280 07/20/15 01:08 PM
E
ElMatadorBorracho Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
E
I used a close by vet near my home when I first got the pup, but he cannot seem to shake these tiny bumps on his back (he's a vizsla and apparently this is common). They put him on antibiotics and had me shampoo him every other day for the last month... no change at all. I'd like to take him to someone else for a 2nd opinion, and thought I would ask you guys with a lot more experience than me.

Thanks!

Re: Vet recommendation (Near Frisco/Mckinney) [Re: ElMatadorBorracho] #5839291 07/20/15 01:16 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Northeast of Frisco in Van Alstyne, is great vet. Henry Bing. He is my wifes uncle and a great guy.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Vet recommendation (Near Frisco/Mckinney) [Re: ElMatadorBorracho] #5839485 07/20/15 03:55 PM
K
kindall Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Unless the bumps had turned into an infection, the antibiotics would have been no help.
Washing these dogs a lot only seems to dry their skin, and that leads to more skin problems.
Try just rinsing the dog off with plain water, and giving Benadryl 2x a day.

When this has happened to my Vs, its been some type of plant they were getting into.
Once it was aloe vera plants the dog was chewing on. Moved the plants to the front yard, and the problem was fixed. A other time the dog trying to catch lizards that get in my palm trees. The palms have something that makes a tiny bump as soon as you get poked. Fenced around the palms, and that fixed the problem. Once in awhile they run into something that causes it in the field, normally around water. It doesn't seem to last more than a week, unless we go back to the same water spot. Its not all year long, just during the summer months.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Vet recommendation (Near Frisco/Mckinney) [Re: ElMatadorBorracho] #5840137 07/20/15 10:34 PM
K
kindall Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
If you want to put something on the bumps I've found this works pretty well.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-karen-becker/pet-health_b_1651962.html

Re: Vet recommendation (Near Frisco/Mckinney) [Re: ElMatadorBorracho] #5840584 07/21/15 03:21 AM
E
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
E
Thank you BOTH, I'll check out the vet recommendation CCBirddog, and Kindall - I have noticed this happens mostly when I run him near the pond we train at, I never thought it could be the water, but it might be the grass he's diving through in the adjacent field. I was also thinking the mint in my backyard could be the problem, so that's going away too. I'm going to quit washing him because I swear it's making it worse.

Re: Vet recommendation (Near Frisco/Mckinney) [Re: ElMatadorBorracho] #5840766 07/21/15 10:52 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
If you had an eruption of tiny bumps all over your back, your doctor would refer you to a dermatologist for a proper work-up. Your vet can do the same thing....which might be a better idea than blindly digging up the mint in your flower bed and suspending all bathing.

There are at least a half-dozen veterinary dermatologists in the DFW area.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Vet recommendation (Near Frisco/Mckinney) [Re: ElMatadorBorracho] #5840914 07/21/15 01:12 PM
K
kindall Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Dawba, I'm in no way saying don't see a vet.
I'm on first name basis with my vet, and see him a few times a year. He knows my dogs by names, even if he sees them away from the office. I've had one at a dermatologist, Dr Fadok, and two checked by a orthopedic surgeon, Dr Whitney.

Along the way I've learned that using a couple of preventive measures over the summer, means my dogs can still hits the ponds, without it turning into a trip to the vet for bumps. His pup may be different, and a vet visit might just be what's called for.
If my doctor gave me something, and it made things worse or saw no improvement, I wouldn't keep using it. I would either go back to the doctor, or go a different route.

Re: Vet recommendation (Near Frisco/Mckinney) [Re: kindall] #5841041 07/21/15 02:47 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I didn't mean to take a shot at you, kindall. I'm sorry if my comments were construed that way. And FWIW, we used to buy povidone iodine (Betadyne) by the case, 4 gallons per box.

I've never heard of a dog being allergic to mint, although I suppose such a thing could be possible. The OP's plan to eliminate the mint and stop all bathing seems to be a reach to me, as an attempt to solve his dog's bumps. The bumps may not be allergy, but with no other info to go on, that would be my guess....especially this year with all our wet weather.

And Henry Bing is a fine, competent veterinarian. I know him well, a classmate of my wife's.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Vet recommendation (Near Frisco/Mckinney) [Re: ElMatadorBorracho] #5841148 07/21/15 03:42 PM
K
kindall Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
I didn't take it as a shot at me, and a trip to the vet is sometimes exactly what's needed.
I just try and use some preventive measures, to keep my dogs from having to take stronger meds when I can.
Just like making sure I clean their ears with a drying solution, if they are in water a few times a week. When I've failed to do it, they went to the vet for ear problems.

Re: Vet recommendation (Near Frisco/Mckinney) [Re: dawaba] #5841365 07/21/15 05:53 PM
E
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
E
Originally Posted By: dawaba
I didn't mean to take a shot at you, kindall. I'm sorry if my comments were construed that way. And FWIW, we used to buy povidone iodine (Betadyne) by the case, 4 gallons per box.

I've never heard of a dog being allergic to mint, although I suppose such a thing could be possible. The OP's plan to eliminate the mint and stop all bathing seems to be a reach to me, as an attempt to solve his dog's bumps. The bumps may not be allergy, but with no other info to go on, that would be my guess....especially this year with all our wet weather.

And Henry Bing is a fine, competent veterinarian. I know him well, a classmate of my wife's.

These aren't the only things I am eliminating.. I am trying to peel back anything I can to see if it improves his condition. I already took him to the vet, and they charged be almost 200 bucks for medicine and a visit that resulted in no change.

The bathing hasn't really helped, if anything like i said i feel like it's made it worse. I do not really think he's allergic to mint (couldnt find this to be a common allergy when I searched around and asked around as well), but I am trying to elminate anything that was not around when I first brought him home.

We'll stay away from the ponds for a few days and see if this helps. If not, we'll be going to see Dr. Bing.

Re: Vet recommendation (Near Frisco/Mckinney) [Re: ElMatadorBorracho] #5841720 07/21/15 10:33 PM
K
kindall Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
If you plan on hunting bird dogs, get accustom to parting with your money.
Plus Vizslas are like potato chips. Its hard to have just one.

Re: Vet recommendation (Near Frisco/Mckinney) [Re: ElMatadorBorracho] #5842211 07/22/15 03:09 AM
T
Troubador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
give benadryl every day for a week to see if it helps especially while training by that pond and def try and spray him down after getting out of that water especially if its stagnant, dont want that water just sitting on them and drying.

Re: Vet recommendation (Near Frisco/Mckinney) [Re: kindall] #5844077 07/23/15 06:04 AM
E
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
E
Originally Posted By: kindall
If you plan on hunting bird dogs, get accustom to parting with your money.
Plus Vizslas are like potato chips. Its hard to have just one.

Ya, I expect I'll be parting with more than I ever could have imagined. There are so many organizations alone that all have dues etc. Also....ya, I already want a second....a female maybe

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide