Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How long did you have to wait? [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #5835572 07/17/15 05:31 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
You will work it out just fine. It just seems to happen naturally. One suggestion though - 1st kids always get visits from the grandparents. Opening weekend is a wizard time to have the grandparents visit. Properly and tactfully done, the extra help around can allow you to plan a quick hunt or fishing trip in. Aunts and Uncles can help too! Time with child passes very quickly, and with parents too! A quick day hunt and you can be there and back before you are missed.

Especially if you arrange a weekend to do kid duty all by yourself, giving her a weekend off.

Re: How long did you have to wait? [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #5835793 07/17/15 01:57 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Hunt close to the grandparents so you can go in morning, come back to relieve them of their duties during the middle of the day, then go back hunting in the evenings. Put kids to bed, then go shoot hogs with a light. My FIL doesn't really care to hunt whitetail anymore, he's shot 1 over the past 20years, so he'll tie up 3hrs of the morning hunt with my son by putting him on the ranger and going around to feed and check cows and letting him ride the tractor to put out hay. Both of them love it, especially since he behaves for him and is his only grandson.

Re: How long did you have to wait? [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #5835851 07/17/15 02:27 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: HVILLE HNTR
On June 27th my wife and l were blessed with our first child. A son who will hopefully one day be my hunting partner...but that day is a long ways off.lts become apparent that lm on lock down at the house for awhile... For those of u that are father's do you think the wife will give me the green light to head out on opening weekend or will l be trading my days in the stand for diaper duty this year? Just wondering how long l should expect to wait for things to get back to normal with a monthly trip to the ranch in the offseason and weekly trips during deer season. Because l value my life and safety lm not asking my wife this question

Congratulations on the new kiddo. Things will never 'get back to normal' but there is a lot you can do to make it all good; One additional tip that will go a long ways to keep peace w/wife , (besides all that has already be mentioned); If you haven't already, get life insurance coverage increased to amount that will cover your full income till your son turns 18. 20yr term policy should be pretty cheap - compared to being 'put in shackles'.

Re: How long did you have to wait? [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #5835956 07/17/15 03:29 PM
J
jakebunch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
The older one gets the less advice they are supposed to dispense, and it has been a lot of years since my first child arrived. You will have many more years to hunt and hopefully a lot of those years will be with your child/children. You will never regret a focus on your baby and wife, especially in that first year. When the inevitable day comes when they walk out that door to pursue their life, and it will come much sooner than you can imagine at this time, you will understand that as a whole lot of us on this forum do. You have a lot of wonderful times ahead of you-enjoy and savor them!

Re: How long did you have to wait? [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #5835976 07/17/15 03:42 PM
B
bigdavehunting Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
I know there's alot of people that might not agree with this but it worked great for me...My advise for you is to mess with her while she is trying to do the dishes tickle her ears, kiss on her and the words will come out, why don't you go find something else to do. like go to the lease. I promise this works.

Re: How long did you have to wait? [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #5836431 07/17/15 09:31 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Just make sure there are no honey-dos that are overdue when you want to go and she will give you a pass.

It goes by alot quicker than you think and all of the sudden your taking them hunting with you.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: How long did you have to wait? [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #5836937 07/18/15 04:17 AM
B
Bear Charge Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
My first was born mid-November so I got as much in as possible before but didn't hunt afterwards. The second was born in May and the third in late January so there was no issue with them. You may find that you'll cut time in the woods short rather than the wife, if it's your first. The Daddy instincts will kick in and you'll miss the little one more than you'll miss the stand.

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Re: How long did you have to wait? [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #5836971 07/18/15 05:24 AM
H
HR3 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
H
One born 2nd week of Oct, Last week of Nov and 3rd week in Jan....2 in spring and summer.....wife says I could hunt up to delivery and start back 30 days afterward.....unless we had added help, I could go once the help kicked in....trade off is once they're old enough to go with me they are out of mammas hair

One Of The Sons Of Thunder
John 1:12.."..as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name"
Re: How long did you have to wait? [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #5837172 07/18/15 03:00 PM
E
Eyesofahunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
You will have to find ways to adapt, all 4 of mine had gone hunting with me before they were 2. Try hunting with 4 kids under the age of 8, once you realize the purpose of the hunt is being together and passing on a tradition and not killing the big one you will be fulfilled. Yes my archery hunting has been limited in the last 10 years, and I have not been wade fishing with my fly rod much either. But my kids love to shoot, hunt, fish and do stuff with dad. Find ways to involve your kids in what you are doing, changing oil, mowing grass, cutting firewood......... Remember there will be frustration and disappointment along the way, but you get out what you put in. I am on the way to the ranch with my 4 kids to check feeders, cameras, shoot, mow grass and have fun! Enjoy the ride, nothing like it!

Re: How long did you have to wait? [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #5837618 07/18/15 09:59 PM
B
Believer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
You might help around the house a lot before season gets here. Will go a long ways for brownie points. Just remember, one awww crap wipes out all brownie points no matter how many you have.... up

Last edited by Believer; 07/18/15 10:01 PM.

Hogs for a Cause Founder http://www.hogsforacause.org/
NRA Endowment Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide