6237656 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5825373 - 07/09/15 08:56 PM Outfitters
luvpigmeet Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: PA
For 2 days I emailed outfitters for a Pronghorn Antelope Hunt for my Daughter. I also made a few calls and left voice mails. Haven't heard back from one of them. Be advised, none of them were from Texas. In fact, I did get 3 return calls from Rick that post s on here. But outside of Texas, not a one of them. Sorry to be ranting on and on, but I don't understand it. "Book with me, I am the best." Balony, tired of wasting my time. Wish she would hunt hogs, I know I would get calls back from you all in Texas. Okay, I am done now. Sorry for so long.

#5825913 - 07/10/15 09:32 AM Re: Outfitters [Re: luvpigmeet]
syncerus Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
It's amazing how poorly many businesses are run. The most expensive thing in the world is getting a customer to walk through your door. Ignoring one is just .... stupid.

I will say this: if you really want to hunt out of state, you should attend the DSC Convention in January. It's amazing and you can talk to the outfitters and the guides directly which is great for finding a good personality fit.

#5825917 - 07/10/15 09:34 AM Re: Outfitters [Re: luvpigmeet]
rdhibbs Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Dumas TX
If your Daughter is in the Texas Youth Hunting Program age group, they are trying to get a Prong Horn Hunt up at Dalhart. Last I talked to them they were still working with the wildlife Biologist to get Tags. Ya might want to Holler at them at their head quarters in San Antonio to see how that is going. We had already booked a hog hunt for that weekend or we would be looking at it.

http://www.tyhp.org

#5825954 - 07/10/15 10:02 AM Re: Outfitters [Re: rdhibbs]
sqiggy Offline

Loc: Franklin, Tx Hunt in Panola ...
How long has it been since you contacted these outfitters?
When I was looking for a deer hunt in Kansas 11 or 12 years ago, I e-mailed about a dozen or so outfitters, wanting all the info I could get from them. A lot of them took a week or 2 before they got back with me. But out of all those, only one called me. But the catch was, I didn't leave my number. This guy took the time to find me via phone number and I've been hunting with him ever since.
Good luck on your search. I know how hard it can be.

#5826582 - 07/10/15 05:50 PM Re: Outfitters [Re: luvpigmeet]
luvpigmeet Offline
Pro Tracker

It has been about 4-5 days since I emailed and called. One called me today finally. I talked to one today making the call myself and found out they are booked up next3 years and stopping after that. I have been selling cars for 21yrs. To not contact a prospect is like opening my wallet and burning all the money in it.
just like syncerus said, just stupid!!!!

#5826646 - 07/10/15 06:46 PM Re: Outfitters [Re: luvpigmeet]
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Southlake, TX
I have a balanced perspective about this. I do a bunch of outfitter trips and talk to a bunch of outfitters. Many aren't internet savvy, but those usually answer their phone. Outfitters get a BUNCH of tire kickers though. Hanging out with outfitters their phone rings off the hook and they may only catch up on emails couple times a week. It is so easy for us to just casually blast a bunch of outfitters we find email online, but think how many hundreds of contacts they are receiving. I have also found that the website will usually answer 90% of my questions. I try to do a better job now I only email and call the outfitter when I'm ready to sign the deal if my remaining questions and the feel check out.

#5826666 - 07/10/15 07:01 PM Re: Outfitters [Re: luvpigmeet]
BOBO the Clown Online   content
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Originally Posted By: luvpigmeet
For 2 days I emailed outfitters for a Pronghorn Antelope Hunt for my Daughter. I also made a few calls and left voice mails. Haven't heard back from one of them. Be advised, none of them were from Texas. In fact, I did get 3 return calls from Rick that post s on here. But outside of Texas, not a one of them. Sorry to be ranting on and on, but I don't understand it. "Book with me, I am the best." Balony, tired of wasting my time. Wish she would hunt hogs, I know I would get calls back from you all in Texas. Okay, I am done now. Sorry for so long.

Wheat harvest started about three weeks back in the panhandle so any where north of Texas are running combines night and day. But something I've learned is most outfitters that are good are usually booked a year in advance via repeat customers there for most of the western hunts you see posted are cancelation hunts.

Id rock a Texas PH hunt over anything but a AZ or top end NM ranch

#5826683 - 07/10/15 07:08 PM Re: Outfitters [Re: luvpigmeet]
Cleric Offline
Veteran Tracker

A good website should answer most questions, a lot of outfitters have bad sites imo

#5827276 - 07/11/15 09:25 AM Re: Outfitters [Re: luvpigmeet]
EddieWalker Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Tyler, TX
I've also found communication with an outfitter to be a struggle at best. Seems like they are either on the road somewhere, or out in the field. The good ones are always busy and usually booked up a year or two in advance. If one has openings this late in the year, I would be wondering why. To me, that's a red flag. If you want to book a hunt in a quality area with a good outfitter, you really need to do it right after the season has ended.

For me, I like going to DSC in January and talking to them in person. Getting a brochure, making notes on it and then researching them online. Most have been pretty good at replying to my emails, and the ones that don't, I lose interest in.

When looking for a hunt, I tend to find as many reasons not to give that guy my money as I can find. The one who I can't find anything wrong with, tends to get my business.

Eddie

#5827282 - 07/11/15 09:33 AM Re: Outfitters [Re: luvpigmeet]
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Southlake, TX
WARNING - do not drink beer while walking around DSC talking to outfitters! wink

#5827727 - 07/11/15 04:46 PM Re: Outfitters [Re: luvpigmeet]
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: NE/CO/KS/MO/OK
I have been on over a dozen "guided" hunts with about 50% success rate. I use to think services like Outdoor Adventures from Cabelas were way over priced. Using a well known service company for guided hunts is well worth the money to me (know that I learned the hard way). I don't want to bash this forum, but I have had most of my unsuccessful hunts with outfitters on here or people that gave recommendations on here. Unsuccessful to me is not see any game, unsanitary conditions or rude guides. Again, lot of reasons we chose less than great outfitters is not our fault, it is the info we get. Service companies make sure you get what you pay for and actually go on the hunts before recommending them. There is a big difference between seeing game, but not a trophy Vs. not seeing anything because your guide runs as many people through his operation as possible. You can also call these service companies as much as you want and they will answer the phone and answer all your questions. Again, I am not saying the guides on here are not good or that any percentage are bad. There are bad outfitters everywhere and the best way to really weed out the bad and get a good one is through well known booking services. You will pay about 20% more for the hunt on average, but the piece of mind you get is well worth it.

#5828114 - 07/11/15 10:06 PM Re: Outfitters [Re: luvpigmeet]
luvpigmeet Offline
Pro Tracker

I even mentioned it was going to be next year and a youth hunt. With everyone having smartphones and all the other technology, it should not be a problem to get back to someone. Guess they have enough repeat business or enough money.

#5828125 - 07/11/15 10:11 PM Re: Outfitters [Re: luvpigmeet]
luvpigmeet Offline
Pro Tracker

I emailed one in Texas about charging a Trophy Fee depending on size of horn. Free roaming wild animals and he is charging a Trophy Fee.??? I sort of let him know how this makes no sense. Haven't heard back. I just need to buy some property and not worry about so so guides trying to steal my money.

#5828299 - 07/12/15 07:36 AM Re: Outfitters [Re: luvpigmeet]
tlk Online   content
Pro Tracker

I been on guided hunts for years too and it is hit and miss. Used the big draw service types down to individual outfitters. If I am going on one of these hunts I want to hunt trophy level animals only - I have no problem going home empty handed as long as I had a fair chance to see truly trophy level animals. Been with some really great outfitters and some not so great.

One reason I like to book at live shows like SCI, Texas Trophy hunters, etc. is because not only can I physically see and talk to the outfitter and guides but I can hang around their booths and watch and listen to what other people are being told - once I was at a booth getting ready to book an expensive mule deer hunt and literally filling out the deposit check. Two guys walk up who hunted with this guy the year before and wore him out - his guides were lazy, his equipment broke down, etc. Closed my checkbook and quietly slipped away.

#5828387 - 07/12/15 09:36 AM Re: Outfitters [Re: tlk]
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Big Eddy Road, Noonday
Originally Posted By: tlk
I been on guided hunts for years too and it is hit and miss. Used the big draw service types down to individual outfitters. If I am going on one of these hunts I want to hunt trophy level animals only - I have no problem going home empty handed as long as I had a fair chance to see truly trophy level animals. Been with some really great outfitters and some not so great.

One reason I like to book at live shows like SCI, Texas Trophy hunters, etc. is because not only can I physically see and talk to the outfitter and guides but I can hang around their booths and watch and listen to what other people are being told - once I was at a booth getting ready to book an expensive mule deer hunt and literally filling out the deposit check. Two guys walk up who hunted with this guy the year before and wore him out - his guides were lazy, his equipment broke down, etc. Closed my checkbook and quietly slipped away.

Good advice from tlk, especially for the hunter who is trophy-minded.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide