Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Monster_Raxx] #5827498 07/11/15 05:52 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I can't disagree there but like stated before, only pressure on the department can result in a change of approach.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Monster_Raxx] #5828440 07/12/15 03:25 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Caught one poaching Friday, that sucker was in one of my favorite arrowhead hunting spot's. I've known him for a long time and never knew he hunted arrowhead's. We talked for a good half hour and I even broke down during interrogation and gave up a couple of more spot's he needed to check out. Even did a little flint knapping demo for him. He's a good man and keeps a good eye on the local ranches, we need more just like him. He's got allot of area to cover with 3 counties and need's some help, new class graduating soon so maybe he get's a little relief.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: HWY_MAN] #5828449 07/12/15 03:35 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
GW's and BP agents have the very best arrowhead collections.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Monster_Raxx] #5828623 07/12/15 05:42 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I would venture to say there are many more good potatoes in that bin than bad but you know it only takes rotten one to stink up the whole cellar.

NRA Life Member
Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Monster_Raxx] #5828698 07/12/15 07:11 PM
D
DesertHunting Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
By far the good out weigh the bad. Have known several GWs personally and they are salt of the earth, great guys. Hated to see Zack Havens leave Tom Green county, he was one of the best. The two young men we now have down here in Terrell county are doing an outstanding job. To be honest, I've seen and dealt with them more in the two years they've been down here, than all the GWs the twenty+ years prior. Even got a ride from one and shared supper with him.

But in this case, there were a lot more than just one potato stinking up the cellar.

Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Monster_Raxx] #5829164 07/13/15 01:18 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Yep, that's what you usually find once you start digging through the bin.

NRA Life Member
Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Monster_Raxx] #5832576 07/15/15 05:09 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
East Tx had a game warden a few years back that was fired for ruffing up a guy in jail that he had just arrested. He was a real d head being the game warden. He had a horrible ego problem. He also snuck into a pond with his kids and the land owner caught them. The game warden told the land owner that he couldn't do anything about it, because he was I GUESS SPECIAL? The land owner was some kind of local politician too. I don't think anything came out of it, but his bad attitude caught up with him in the long run. banana

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Monster_Raxx] #5832794 07/15/15 02:22 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I forgot to tell you about the Game Warden that got busted shooting roosting mallards in the Cherokee Bayou. He was fired too. Something about those big greenheads circling around quaking got the best of him. elmer

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Monster_Raxx] #5832945 07/15/15 04:43 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Would you want someone to donate to a thief that just stole or was intending to steal from YOUR house and was accidentally shot by a neighbor playing around? I wouldn't.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Monster_Raxx] #5839208 07/20/15 11:52 AM
Tommy1957 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
nuts

Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Monster_Raxx] #5842458 07/22/15 12:38 PM
T
Txmedic033 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
It only takes one bad apple to ruin the bunch.

Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Monster_Raxx] #5852652 07/29/15 01:15 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I know it has been a while since this thread has had a post. But I received a reply from my Texas Representative Lyle Larson. He basically said that they are doing anything else about it.
But Hey! I got a reply!

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Duck_Hunter] #5852979 07/29/15 05:59 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted By: passthru
And just because he told them he had done it twice previously doesn't mean he was charged with three counts. He was "caught" only the one time.

He finally fessed up to poaching. He wasn't caught in the act the time he got shot, either. Give me a break. He wasn't charged the other times because he got away with it. After being shot, he realized that explaining why he was bow hunting after hours and not having a pass/license would be impossible. He also fessed up to doing it three other times. They couldn't charge him because he wasn't caught the other three times.

As for his legal violations being given fair treatment, I, and a lot of other people, apparently, believe he should be held to a higher standard, since his entire job is to enforce the game laws he was violating. He should not have been given the same treatment precisely because he is a game warden AND he admitted to doing it three other times. Can't charge for all the violations he wasn't caught, but it can be used to determine his punishment. And one instance of poaching is enough to be fired. DEA agents caught selling drugs would be fired, I hope. This is no different.

I think you nailed it. Just a wild hunch, but my guess is this situation with endorsements and permits is/was much more widespread and they can't fire them all. Biologists that manage a public hunting area and wardens that patrol a specific hunting area are just not going to be checked by another game warden. Some employees probably did not even think about needing endorsements or an APH hunting permit or limited use permit for the very area land they have been assigned to manage or patrol and in many cases live on. I would not be surprised if one could pull open records of license endorsements and permits of TPWD biologists, game wardens, politicians, etc. from prior to the publicity from Chris Fried's accident and find several had some endorsement or permit missing on their license that would normally be required related to what or where they hunt, hike, boat, or fish while off duty. Baring an accident or other incident outing a violation, it would pretty much be unenforceable and on an honor system for those persons to comply. If those records are accessible I would not be surprised either if those same public licensing records showed a lot of state TPWD employees obtaining those missing endorsements and permits just after the publicity of the event or when renewing their license. If there was not a memo directed towards TPWD employees to be sure to comply with all licenses and permits because of this, someone up top in Austin would be smart to send one out. I am glad Chris Fried is ok. He is very lucky to be alive.

Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Monster_Raxx] #5852992 07/29/15 06:23 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Speaking of being unenforceable. I started a new thread rather than hijack this one, but Arkansas as of last month is no longer checking for hunting/fishing licenses unless there has been a reasonable suspicion of a law violation. To do otherwise was ruled by the Arkansas Supreme Court to be a violation of a hunter's consitutional rights.
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5852989#Post5852989

Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Monster_Raxx] #5854739 07/30/15 02:59 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Hmm. That sounds plumb reasonable to me. But I'm a little off at times.

NRA Life Member
Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Monster_Raxx] #5862587 08/04/15 02:30 PM
W
wisco-hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Ole' Lyle Larson...

Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???
Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Sniper John] #5868360 08/07/15 10:08 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted By: passthru
And just because he told them he had done it twice previously doesn't mean he was charged with three counts. He was "caught" only the one time.

He finally fessed up to poaching. He wasn't caught in the act the time he got shot, either. Give me a break. He wasn't charged the other times because he got away with it. After being shot, he realized that explaining why he was bow hunting after hours and not having a pass/license would be impossible. He also fessed up to doing it three other times. They couldn't charge him because he wasn't caught the other three times.

As for his legal violations being given fair treatment, I, and a lot of other people, apparently, believe he should be held to a higher standard, since his entire job is to enforce the game laws he was violating. He should not have been given the same treatment precisely because he is a game warden AND he admitted to doing it three other times. Can't charge for all the violations he wasn't caught, but it can be used to determine his punishment. And one instance of poaching is enough to be fired. DEA agents caught selling drugs would be fired, I hope. This is no different.

I think you nailed it. Just a wild hunch, but my guess is this situation with endorsements and permits is/was much more widespread and they can't fire them all. Biologists that manage a public hunting area and wardens that patrol a specific hunting area are just not going to be checked by another game warden. Some employees probably did not even think about needing endorsements or an APH hunting permit or limited use permit for the very area land they have been assigned to manage or patrol and in many cases live on. I would not be surprised if one could pull open records of license endorsements and permits of TPWD biologists, game wardens, politicians, etc. from prior to the publicity from Chris Fried's accident and find several had some endorsement or permit missing on their license that would normally be required related to what or where they hunt, hike, boat, or fish while off duty. Baring an accident or other incident outing a violation, it would pretty much be unenforceable and on an honor system for those persons to comply. If those records are accessible I would not be surprised either if those same public licensing records showed a lot of state TPWD employees obtaining those missing endorsements and permits just after the publicity of the event or when renewing their license. If there was not a memo directed towards TPWD employees to be sure to comply with all licenses and permits because of this, someone up top in Austin would be smart to send one out. I am glad Chris Fried is ok. He is very lucky to be alive.

Honestly, I'd be fine if it was written into law that all Game Wardens and state biologists received free hunting licenses or were exempt from purchasing them as part of being employed in those positions. Until that's the case, though, they should absolutely be required to purchase one, like the rest of us, and if they are found in violation of game laws, in anyway, regardless of whether they are exempt or receive free licenses, they should be fired without warning.

I still maintain that Chris Fried should have been fired and prosecuted and also not able to file worker's comp.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: therancher] #5955278 10/01/15 01:14 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I would really, really like to see some facts that substantiate your claim
Originally Posted By: therancher

And I guess folks who don't know a lot of GW's are crooks believe in the tooth fairy too.

That's probably why he got off the rap and kept his job. Hard to be too tuff on someone just doing what is common practice.

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Monster_Raxx] #5955632 10/01/15 09:53 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
This reflects the corruption that runs rampant through all our government. Wish I could say I was surprised.

Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: Monster_Raxx] #5955634 10/01/15 09:57 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I am amazed at how many come to the defense of this kind of stuff and try to justify a GW, cop etc breaking the law. I appreciate all the hardworking, honest civil servants we have but way too often the bad apples are protected by these same hardworking, "honest" civil servants.

Re: Poaching Game Warden [Re: hoof n wings] #5955789 10/01/15 01:02 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
I would really, really like to see some facts that substantiate your claim
Originally Posted By: therancher

And I guess folks who don't know a lot of GW's are crooks believe in the tooth fairy too.

That's probably why he got off the rap and kept his job. Hard to be too tuff on someone just doing what is common practice.

Just google Game Warden charged, indicted, arrested, fired.....not hard to find at all.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide