475690 Topics
6240122 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#5817478 - 07/04/15 03:54 PM New to El Paso
ranger91298 Offline
Green Horn

Loc: El Paso, TX
Happy 4th of July to everyone on the board. Please excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong section as I am just coming on board. I first started lurking this board in September 2014 when a member of the site referred me to it after I bought some live traps from him. A little about me; I have been in the military now for 20 years and was most recently stationed in Hawaii for 4.5 years where I was able to REALLY enjoy all the hunting the islands had to offer...YES, you can hunt in Hawaii!!! I call north Idaho home; however, I was born in Terrell, Texas. I only lived there for a year or so before my mother moved. I have never been back there since, some 37 years. That will change as of tomorrow as my wife and I are driving to Dallas to pick up my truck that was shipped from Hawaii. We will take a quick detour to Terrell to visit my place of birth. I have to be honest, I am rather excited because I have always wanted to visit it. As the title suggests, I was just stationed here at Ft. Bliss and have only been in town for a few days. I will be here for only a year as of now since I have to attend a school. Please excuse me as I usually do my homework on hunting opportunities prior to moving, but this was not the case this time. How is the hunting here in the El Paso or surrounding areas? I am looking at coyote, bobcat, badger or even deer. Is there any areas that some may suggest trying? If not, I totally understand as hunting grounds tend to be sacred to most. Is there any other advice that I should know? I am going to start doing my research this weekend as to what is allowed here in the area for trapping, use of game calls, weapons of choice, etc. I am also going to look into doing a Mountain Lion hunt with one of the outfitters on the board and possibly a Coues Deer in Arizona if possible. Thank you for reading and any information would be of help. Who knows, I may invite those who are gracious enough to help on a hunt in Idaho sometime. Have a safe and happy Independence Day. Scott

#5817594 - 07/04/15 06:37 PM Re: New to El Paso [Re: ranger91298]
customcutter Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Florida
Welcome to the board. I can't help you with the local hunting as I live in Fl. I want to wish you and your family a happy 4th of July and thank you and your fellow service men in all the Branches of military for your service to our country. May God Bless and Keep You and All of our Service Men and Their Families.

#5818574 - 07/05/15 05:46 PM Re: New to El Paso [Re: ranger91298]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
Check with the MWR office at FT Bliss, they have all of the info, including the requirements for hunting the BLM lands in New Mexico.

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5818681 - 07/05/15 07:07 PM Re: New to El Paso [Re: ranger91298]
Chief Joe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Fredericktown, Ohio
welcome Thanks fot your service!

"It is the same boiling water that softens the rice, which hardens the egg." It's not always about the circumstances, but what you are made of....

#5822465 - 07/08/15 01:01 AM Re: New to El Paso [Re: ranger91298]
DesertHunting Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Terrell County - Sanderson
Welcome to the THF!

I'm a few hours east of you so can't help you with much close by. But we have plenty of predators out this way and night calling with hand and electric call and lights or NV is legal in Texas. Being a majority private owned state make sure you have permission from any land owners. On our place we have WT, Muledeer, elk, javalina, coyotes, bobcats, fox (but ones a pet), badgers, and the occasional Mt. Lion. Enjoy your time here!

#5824784 - 07/09/15 01:29 PM Re: New to El Paso [Re: ranger91298]
fill Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: San Diego to Caddo Mills
Originally Posted By: ranger91298
Happy 4th of July to everyone on the board. Please excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong section as I am just coming on board. I first started lurking this board in September 2014 when a member of the site referred me to it after I bought some live traps from him. A little about me; I have been in the military now for 20 years and was most recently stationed in Hawaii for 4.5 years where I was able to REALLY enjoy all the hunting the islands had to offer...YES, you can hunt in Hawaii!!! I call north Idaho home; however, I was born in Terrell, Texas. I only lived there for a year or so before my mother moved. I have never been back there since, some 37 years. That will change as of tomorrow as my wife and I are driving to Dallas to pick up my truck that was shipped from Hawaii. We will take a quick detour to Terrell to visit my place of birth. I have to be honest, I am rather excited because I have always wanted to visit it. As the title suggests, I was just stationed here at Ft. Bliss and have only been in town for a few days. I will be here for only a year as of now since I have to attend a school. Please excuse me as I usually do my homework on hunting opportunities prior to moving, but this was not the case this time. How is the hunting here in the El Paso or surrounding areas? I am looking at coyote, bobcat, badger or even deer. Is there any areas that some may suggest trying? If not, I totally understand as hunting grounds tend to be sacred to most. Is there any other advice that I should know? I am going to start doing my research this weekend as to what is allowed here in the area for trapping, use of game calls, weapons of choice, etc. I am also going to look into doing a Mountain Lion hunt with one of the outfitters on the board and possibly a Coues Deer in Arizona if possible. Thank you for reading and any information would be of help. Who knows, I may invite those who are gracious enough to help on a hunt in Idaho sometime. Have a safe and happy Independence Day. Scott

Hey Scott, I'll be out that way for Boldquest in Sept (Google it if youre not familiar). Every year I bring a rifle and hunt coyotes on the off days, mostly on the NM side though. Ive spoken with the NM game warden for the Las Cruces district several times, and he's also a predator hunter. He said that as long as you you leave the yotes laying where you shoot them that the state of NM does not require you to even have a non-resident hunting lisc. Of course for bobcat you would though.
Phil

#5828208 - 07/11/15 11:23 PM Re: New to El Paso [Re: ranger91298]
cazador1022 Offline
Tracker

welcome, if your on the west side near Resler send me a PM.
also for good hunting opportunities look for Mulie Mike here on the boards. He's a well known outfitter in El Paso.

Edited by cazador1022 (07/11/15 11:24 PM)

#5834098 - 07/16/15 09:01 AM Re: New to El Paso [Re: ranger91298]
REALKILLER Offline
Tracker

Congrats on the 20 years of service. What did you hunt in Hawaii tan chicks with big rears, just joking haha. Man its dusty out that way. Ive got family in Midland and Odessa. Even the car wash water has dust in it. My uncle retired from the Army a while back, he had about that much time in. He was a Drill sergeant when he retired. He has been all over the world with that group. Good luck on the hunting. I always see those big eared jacks and even some yotes out that way. up

#5834128 - 07/16/15 09:26 AM Re: New to El Paso [Re: ranger91298]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
Twelve days later, welcome ta THF, i got slow internet rofl & my humur not worth 2cents.... up for your service... Best wishes flag

i'm postaddic

#5834252 - 07/16/15 10:55 AM Re: New to El Paso [Re: ranger91298]
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas - God's Country
How did you get your truck shipped from HI to DFW? I had to ship mine to and from Long Beach.

I have a short attention spa

#5836692 - 07/17/15 08:34 PM Re: New to El Paso [Re: ranger91298]
mulie_mike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: El Paso Texas
I live on the east side of El Paso and ironically am in Hawaii right now and just saw this post. I have a variety of opportunities a short distance from El Paso if interested check out my site or shoot me a PM
www.westtexashuntorg.com

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/

#5863937 - 08/04/15 11:42 PM Re: New to El Paso [Re: colt.45]
ranger91298 Offline
Green Horn

Loc: El Paso, TX
customcutter, Chief Joe and colt.45...... you are certainly welcome and thank you for your support of the armed forces.

DesertHunting..... I have definitely come to the understanding that Texas is extremely difficult to hunt because of all the private land. It seems like everyone is operating some sort of hunting lease or outfitting business here. Finding an ol' fashioned hunting buddy is a thing of the past here. Everything is pointing to hunting New Mexico as a Nonresidient which is not bad for the $65 license.

fill..... If you do end up going to NM in September and are up for a tag-along it would be great to get out if time allows. I will probably have a Non-Resident license by that time since I am in the process of booking a lion hunt there at some point.

dogcatcher...... I did check with MWR and the Rod & Gun club regarding the hunting on post and it seems like it is decent at best unless you get drawn for a lottery. From the information that I have gathered thus far, you can only hunt with shotgun or archery equipment on post unless you get drawn for a lottery. It seems kinda silly to me that those are the rules here with 1.2 million acres.

cazador1022..... sorry for the delay getting back to you... I actually have looked at that area for hunting as it looks like a great area from above on top of the Franklin Park Mountains, but have to figure out if any of it is public. I just responded to your post about going to Hawaii. I will do anything that I can to help you get on a boar while you are there. I don't know any secret spots, but my wife and I did figure out how to hunt them there. I sent you my cell number so just give me call when you get some time before you leave. Maybe we can get together and I will pull out my maps from Hawaii. A Non-Resident license is $90 there and easy to get.

REALKILLER..... please thank your uncle for his service to ensure the safety and liberties that my family and I enjoy. I did drive through Odessa and boy it was a little nerve-racking we were hit with a sudden wind storm and two thunderstorms that came together. I was worried that it might create tornado conditions and so we looked it up and sure enough Odessa sits in that corridor for tornado alley. You would actually be surprised with the diversity of hunting opportunities in Hawaii. I shot around a dozen boars (archery/rifle) but passed on hundreds just because I was looking for the big boy. All of our boys have been able to get a boar as well. My son, my wife and I shot a total of seven free range Axis Deer on Lanai along with four Mouflon Sheep. My wife, three boys and I all shot feral goats as well on Oahu. All of the islands have hunting on them in which we have figured out. If anyone wants to ever hunt free range Axis Deer, Mouflon Sheep, feral goat or boars without using outfitters I can certainly help.

Cast.... as we were leaving Hawaii, the Army gave me two choices of ports to use for shipping my truck...Los Angeles or Dallas. Dallas was obviously closer so I sent it there and glad we did so that we could visit Terrell where I was born

Mulie__Mike.... I will check out your site in the next few days and see how the prices look and will let you know if I am interested. Thank you.

Sorry for taking so long to respond to everyone as I have been busy trying to get settled in here. Thank you all for the responses.

Scott

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide