Boars Nest - review #5817450 07/04/15 08:24 PM
T
turbogrill Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Hi,

Yesterday I went for a hog hunt at a place called Boars Nest.

Summary:
Great place, owner is really nice and helpful.
I believe they have plenty of hogs, I got my self a 200 pound boar.
Really recommends it. Some of the blinds work with bow.

Long story:
I have been looking for a quality hog hunt (non craigslist) in Austin area for a while but haven't had any good success. Tried a few times to get a hunt at DBHunting and Storm Ranch but often fully booked, closed, don't accept single hunters. I have yet to tried them out.
Then I found this place!
I spoke over phone with the owner about the ranch, he seemed like a really nice guy then and even more when I met him.
Website says the hunt starts at 3.30pm but he told me that I could arrive anytime, just give a little heads up.
When I arrived I the guy met me hand took me for a tour at the ranch in his UTV, he showed me different blinds and also showed me some hog hunting tracks. Got some free hunting education right there. Plenty of hog tracks and buffing.
Since I was the only hunter at the time he said that I could pick any of the 3 blinds and move freely around, I could probably asked for more blinds but 3 was enough.
He left at around 6pm and wished me good luck, I started getting my stuff together and head for a blind. My only complaint might be that the light on the feeder wasn't perfect, it was a little bright in the center. I think a more dimmed light might have been better. His neighbor was also shooting some, maybe that spooked some early pigs.
Anyhow, it was a very warm night. And I didn't see any hogs until 2am. By then 3.30 I had shot me a 200 pound boar. I did see some other hogs before that but couldn't get a good shot. I needed help with cleaning so I texted a guy that helped me clean it, was a pretty big guy so it took a while.
Initially my plan was to catch some sleep in the car and go for a morning hunt as well but I had to drive home for other reasons. But I am sure I would have gotten another pig if I would have stayed!

Hunt was $175 for a 24hour hunt in the in the non fenced area and include unlimited hogs.
Next time I will go back with a couple of friends, they have a really nice cabin and a shooting range. You could also do some fishing right at the cabin.

Last edited by turbogrill; 07/05/15 12:16 AM.
Re: Boars Nest - review [Re: turbogrill] #5817579 07/04/15 11:26 PM
C
customcutter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Sounds like you had a good time, and will know a little more about what to do the next time.

God Bless
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide