6248250 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5815001 - 07/02/15 01:18 PM My hunting lease
Skip Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Hewitt, Texas
For many years I have been on a great lease out in West Texas. After talking with my wife I have decided to pass on it this year. I still have a few draw hunt I always put in for and I can always buy a hunt. I just want be doing the lease thing. At my age I shouldn't miss it.

#5815012 - 07/02/15 01:23 PM Re: My hunting lease [Re: Skip]
Creekrunner Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
If you no longer enjoy it, then by all means, let it go. It's a long haul out there if it's not a bunch of guys you look forward to being with. I've struggled with the same thing, but I'm going to try this year for at least one season with some friends from church. We'll see.

Good hunting to you.

#5815016 - 07/02/15 01:27 PM Re: My hunting lease [Re: Skip]
Wilhunt Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: New Braunfels, San Saba county
Can't imagine giving up the lease...sounds like you have given considerable thought to leaving though. Best of luck going forward.

#5815031 - 07/02/15 01:40 PM Re: My hunting lease [Re: Skip]
Texmel Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Melissa, TX
Hope this hunting season turns out well for you. I'm on a excellent lease with good group of guys and it's the high point of my year when Hunting Season rolls around. Enjoy having a place to visit during non-hunting season to maintain feeders and blinds.

#5815041 - 07/02/15 01:47 PM Re: My hunting lease [Re: Skip]
Skip Offline
Pro Tracker

I have always loved the lease. It is in west Texas and is a 50,000. acre lease. I turned 72 last March and with some old war wounds starting to work over time it's just time to move on. Had to think long and hard about it. One of the nice things about it is that my wife can hunt with me at no extra charge. Just has to stay in my limit.

#5815175 - 07/02/15 03:32 PM Re: My hunting lease [Re: Skip]
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: CEDAR CREEK LAKE
My Dad is same age and been talking about the same thing for a couple of years. he just asked me this weekend if he gets back on it, will go with him at least twice? Of course i said yes, I haven't deer hunted in many years mostly because i cant afford to Quail and Deer hunt, so I chose quail about 12 years ago.

#5815203 - 07/02/15 04:04 PM Re: My hunting lease [Re: Skip]
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Skip
For many years I have been on a great lease out in West Texas. After talking with my wife I have decided to pass on it this year. I still have a few draw hunt I always put in for and I can always buy a hunt. I just want be doing the lease thing. At my age I shouldn't miss it.

I'm well into my 50's now and understand how you feel. While I still enjoy hunting, I'm not near as passoniate about it as I was back in years past. The thought of having to miss Opening Day doesn't frighten me near as much as it once did.

Spring, Texas

#5815287 - 07/02/15 05:15 PM Re: My hunting lease [Re: Skip]
Skip Offline
Pro Tracker

CCBIRDDOGMAN, Go with your father, you will enjoy the time together. I hear ya Dan, been drawing on me for awhile. Its time.

#5815324 - 07/02/15 05:50 PM Re: My hunting lease [Re: Texas Dan]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I'm well into my 50's now and understand how you feel. While I still enjoy hunting, I'm not near as passoniate about it as I was back in years past. The thought of having to miss Opening Day doesn't frighten me near as much as it once did.

I hunt my own land now for WT and have a MD lease in TransPecos. I am in upper 50's can not imagine not hunting MD on my lease at this point. I look forward to that season with great anticipation. Only 8 of hunting on 70,000 acres and all love it. I also put in for ML in western Kansas for MD and WT for the past 4 yrs. Have been drawn twice for either species and now 2 yrs for WT only. I look forward to that hunt also. On any hunt it is not so much the kill but the hunt at this point. I have eaten a tag sandwich in Kansas for the last 3 yrs and did not kill a MD in West Texas last year, I did kill a WT on my place and first WT in 3 yrs for me. I just love to hunt and have since I was a little kid.

#5815337 - 07/02/15 05:58 PM Re: My hunting lease [Re: Skip]
Creekrunner Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
I just want ONE of my grandkids to feel the excitement that I felt as a boy when the next weekend was opening weekend. That's a tradition that I really hate to see die. It's not the end of the world if none are so inclined, above all I am a realist, but I'm gonna keep trying for several more years. I've been feeding year-round on my little place years before my first grandson was even born. I figure his first buck will have cost me purt-near $35,000 when it's all said and done with. laugh

#5815358 - 07/02/15 06:11 PM Re: My hunting lease [Re: Skip]
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
This is why I will continue to enjoy all things hunting for as long as I can because it doesn't last forever.

Waiting until retirement age might not give you more than about 10 more years of hunting.

I can't ever imagine not missing it. cheers

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#5815417 - 07/02/15 06:49 PM Re: My hunting lease [Re: stxranchman]
PMK Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I hunt my own land now for WT and have a MD lease in TransPecos. I am in upper 50's can not imagine not hunting MD on my lease at this point. I look forward to that season with great anticipation. Only 8 of hunting on 70,000 acres and all love it. I also put in for ML in western Kansas for MD and WT for the past 4 yrs. Have been drawn twice for either species and now 2 yrs for WT only. I look forward to that hunt also. On any hunt it is not so much the kill but the hunt at this point. I have eaten a tag sandwich in Kansas for the last 3 yrs and did not kill a MD in West Texas last year, I did kill a WT on my place and first WT in 3 yrs for me. I just love to hunt and have since I was a little kid.

yep ... I can not even imagine not having a place to hunt as I have 4 right now, its been in my blood for well over 50 years and I still have the same level of excitement each and every year. That would be a very tough call for me to make.

~PMK~

#5815484 - 07/02/15 07:47 PM Re: My hunting lease [Re: Skip]
Espy Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Eddy TX.

Dang Skip I guess I wouldn't want to make the long drive either.I have several places to hunt all close 10-20 mins.from the house.Now that the kids are grown I hunt a lot more heck fixin to head out for some night varmint huntin. If you dove hunt pm me and I will get you out for a couple of hunts since you are right down the road.

#5815728 - 07/02/15 10:15 PM Re: My hunting lease [Re: Skip]
Hirogen Offline
Tracker

Loc: Ontario, Grey County
Best of luck as you move forward.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend

#5815789 - 07/02/15 11:03 PM Re: My hunting lease [Re: Creekrunner]
rattler03 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Richardson - Archer County
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
I just want ONE of my grandkids to feel the excitement that I felt as a boy when the next weekend was opening weekend. That's a tradition that I really hate to see die. It's not the end of the world if none are so inclined, above all I am a realist, but I'm gonna keep trying for several more years. I've been feeding year-round on my little place years before my first grandson was even born. I figure his first buck will have cost me purt-near $35,000 when it's all said and done with. laugh

Creekrunner, I hear you on that. I'm still a young man, and I can't wait until the day that I can hunt with one of my own Kids. I hope they'll become the best hunting buddy I ever have, but my Dad has set a pretty high standard to achieve that title. I do want to tell you that kids today still live and breath hunting, and anticipate opening day like it is Christmas morning. It wasn't that long ago that my cousins and I were like that and I have a few friends that had children in their early 20's and are starting to experience hunting with kids that love to hunt. I hope you get to experience the joy of having at least one of your grand kids catch the hunting bug. There is nothing like seeing the excitement of a kid that just took their first deer or experienced something amazing in the outdoors for the first time. It can certainly reignite that passion in yourself, too.

To the OP, it sounds like you have had a great run in your hunting life, and that you aren't quite done with it yet despite giving up the lease. I hope to hunt until I'm 72, or even older if I'm fortunate enough to, that's going to add a lot of great memories in the woods for me. I hope you find happiness in other hobbies and still go on a hunt or two each season. up

Edited by rattler03 (07/02/15 11:04 PM)
-Robert Earl Keen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide