Forums46
Topics537,997
Posts9,731,588
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer #5813935 07/01/15 11:53 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline OP
gramps
OP Offline
gramps
Media Contacts:

Steve Lightfoot, TPWD, 512-389-4701512-389-4701, steve.lightfoot@tpwd.texas.gov

Callie McNulty, TAHC, 512-719-0728512-719-0728, callie.mcnulty@tahc.texas.gov

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 1, 2015

AUSTIN - A two-year-old white-tailed deer in a Medina County deer breeding facility has been confirmed positive for Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD). This is the first case of CWD detected in captive white-tailed deer in Texas. CWD was first detected in Texas in 2012 in free-ranging mule deer in the Hueco Mountains in far West Texas.

The Medina County tissue samples submitted by the breeder facility in early June as part of routine deer mortality surveillance revealed the presence of CWD during testing at the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (TVMDL) in College Station. The National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa, confirmed the findings on Tuesday, June 30.

An epidemiological investigation to determine the extent of the disease, assess risks to Texas' free ranging deer and protect the captive deer and elk breeding industry is being led by the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC), in coordination with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) and U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Veterinary Services (USDA/APHIS/VS).

Officials have taken immediate action to secure all cervids at the Medina County breeder facility with plans to conduct additional investigation for CWD. In addition, those breeder facilities that have received deer from the Medina County facility or shipped deer to that facility during the last two years are under movement restrictions and cannot move or release cervids at this time. TPWD is disallowing liberation of captive deer from all breeder facilities into the wild at this time pending further review. Additional measures to further minimize risk of CWD spreading into Texas' free-ranging white-tailed deer herd, and to protect the captive deer breeding industry, will be considered.

"This is a terribly unfortunate development that we are committed to addressing as proactively, comprehensively, and expeditiously as possible. The health of our state's wild and captive deer herds, as well as affiliated hunting, wildlife, and rural based economies, are vitally important to Texas hunters, communities, and landowners. As such, our primary objectives are to determine the source of the disease and to identify other deer breeding facilities and release sites that may have received deer from affected facilities," said Carter Smith, TPWD Executive Director. "Working collaboratively with experts in the field we have developed protocols to address CWD, and our implementation efforts are already well under way."

The TPWD and the TAHC CWD Management Plan will guide the State's response to this incident. The plan was developed by the State's CWD Task Force, which is comprised of deer and elk breeders, wildlife biologists, veterinarians and other animal-health experts from TPWD, TAHC, TVMDL, Department of State Health Services, Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine, and USDA.

Since 2002, the state has conducted surveillance throughout Texas for the disease. More than 34,000 samples collected from hunter-harvested and road kill deer have been tested for CWD.

Although animal health and wildlife officials cannot say how long or to what extent the disease has been present in the Medina County deer breeding facility, the breeder has had an active CWD surveillance program since 2006 with no positives detected until now.

"We are working with experts at the local, state and federal level, to determine the extent of this disease, and respond appropriately to limit further transmission," said Dr. Andy Schwartz, TAHC Epidemiologist and Assistant Executive Director. "Strong public awareness and the continued support of the cervid industry is paramount to the success of controlling CWD in Texas."

The disease was first recognized in 1967 in captive mule deer in Colorado. CWD has also been documented in captive and/or free-ranging deer in 23 states and 2 Canadian provinces. CWD among cervids is a progressive, fatal disease that commonly results in altered behavior as a result of microscopic changes made to the brain of affected animals. An animal may carry the disease for years without outward indication, but in the latter stages, signs may include listlessness, lowering of the head, weight loss, repetitive walking in set patterns, and a lack of responsiveness. To date there is no evidence that CWD poses a risk to humans or non-cervids. However, as a precaution, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization recommend not to consume meat from infected animals.

More information on CWD can be found on TPWD's website, www.tpwd.texas.gov/CWD or at the Chronic Wasting Disease Alliance website, www.cwd-info.org.

More information about the TAHC CWD program may be found at http://tahc.state.tx.us/animal_health/cwd/cwd.html.

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: jeh7mmmag] #5814191 07/02/15 02:21 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I am surprised that this has been posted for a few hours and no one has commented. I think everyone is sitting back thinking, OH CRAP!
One of the popular arguments for the "anti-regulation" crowd is that there has never been a CWD case in Texas. I hope this is the end of it.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: jeh7mmmag] #5814200 07/02/15 02:28 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
People are waiting to see how TPWD will handle it.

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: Simple Searcher] #5814208 07/02/15 02:31 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I am surprised that this has been posted for a few hours and no one has commented. I think everyone is sitting back thinking, OH CRAP!
One of the popular arguments for the "anti-regulation" crowd is that there has never been a CWD case in Texas. I hope this is the end of it.

Actually there have been two cases of CWD in Texas already... Both wild deer... That where actually found before yotes covered it up cheers CWD came here via wild deer assuming it wasn't already here naturally to begin with.

Most people are more worried about EHD, it's actually killed 1000x more deer the CWD

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5814217 07/02/15 02:35 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Actually there have been two cases of CWD in Texas already... Both wild deer... That where actually found before yotes covered it up cheers CWD came here via wild deer assuming it wasn't already here naturally to begin with.

Most people are more worried about EHD, it's actually killed 1000x more deer the CWD

Actually they have known about this for about 3 days and had not reported it to the media. Just happened the case leaked out yesterday and then they posted this today.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: stxranchman] #5814222 07/02/15 02:38 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Actually they have known about this for about 3 days and had not reported it to the media. Just happened the case leaked out yesterday and then they posted this today.

Heard the same. Well more that the test results weren't back yet

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5814249 07/02/15 02:50 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Heard the same. Well more that the test results weren't back yet

Not what I heard.....

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: jeh7mmmag] #5814363 07/02/15 05:24 AM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I'm not plugged in, but I do know that there was a quarantined herd in MN that was depopulated in August, that created a lot of heartburn because no provisions were made for research. Researchers wanted to do the experimental live test and compare them to the current post mortem test. There was a herd depopulated in Iowa, that was spot tested before depopulation, it had a very high infection rate where the live test looked pretty good, but it wasn't conclusive. The researchers now want to live test every herd before depopulation to prove the live test.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: jeh7mmmag] #5814366 07/02/15 05:29 AM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
To put my previous comment into context and back on topic, I would imagine the TPW is trying to look at the records, to get an idea of how big the problem is and develop a plan. Part of that plan will be to get as much good out of a bad situation as possible.

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: jeh7mmmag] #5814431 07/02/15 11:50 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Maybe they will surprise us and not over react like those idiots in the Midwest have.

I'm expecting them to probably kill all the deer at that facility, which is a shame.

This type of treatment plan is like killing the whole family that lives in the home when one of them is diagnosed with terminal cancer.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #5814443 07/02/15 11:59 AM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
(snip)
This type of treatment plan is like killing the whole family that lives in the home when one of them is diagnosed with terminal cancer.

More like killing the entire family when one member has Ebola or the Black Plague. The primary issue is contagion, not sickness per se.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: jeh7mmmag] #5814450 07/02/15 12:07 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
2cents not trying ta stir up anything between HF & LF as stated in other posts, am a lowfer, & nothing against HF..... Theirs is difference betweem HF &
deer farms, yet the simularity is big bucks.... Seen the debates were only way ta get big racks is HF... Been on several leases, whin could aford it, basicly 1 deer counties... Group hunted with. If it legal it up ta tag holder... On them leases, seen plenty of deer that rival ones put on the photo form ... Mature bucks get that way LF & HF by hunter education ..... Right now, plenty of brows on ground... Deer are nauraly browsers... They know were every stands is... Lots of ways of deer manageing... Best wishes ta all... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: jeh7mmmag] #5814451 07/02/15 12:07 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Hope the "naysayers/deniers" are right, that is all I really know. Head in the sand wont solve it if it becomes a nightmare.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: jeh7mmmag] #5814460 07/02/15 12:17 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
My concern would be centered around how a ranch in Central Texas that never had CWD suddenly now has CWD. How did CWD get started on this ranch in the middle of Texas? Did it get there via native deer, pen deer, exotic deer(Elk) or something we have never even thought about????? I would be spending resources to find that out. Using this location (if it were secure) to research a herd that has it would be important to trying to get handle on live testing, cures, etc IMO.

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: stxranchman] #5814466 07/02/15 12:27 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
My concern would be centered around how a ranch in Central Texas that never had CWD suddenly now has CWD. How did CWD get started on this ranch in the middle of Texas? Did it get there via native deer, pen deer, exotic deer(Elk) or something we have never even thought about????? I would be spending resources to find that out. Using this location (if it were secure) to research a herd that has it would be important to trying to get handle on live testing, cures, etc IMO.

Agree, sure seems odd, may be one of the dangers of CWD IDK. Assuming the owners and staff are up front with the biologist.

Dennis

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: jeh7mmmag] #5814560 07/02/15 01:38 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
The danger is in the unknown, but while they're researching one form of chronic wasting, the govt and its agencies should look into another form of chronic wasting that's been plaguing us.

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: Simple Searcher] #5814711 07/02/15 03:26 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

My argument has always been that CWD has never proven to damage native or captive herds as bad as anthrax or EHD. Not even in the same ballpark.

The fact that this is a first in a captive deer herd in Texas is pretty irrelevant to either side of the argument.

Sure am glad I'm not a breeder. One of the many blind stinkin lucky decisions I've made in life.

Tpwd is gonna be ALL up in the breeder bidniss now.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: therancher] #5814719 07/02/15 03:32 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: therancher

My argument has always been that CWD has never proven to damage native or captive herds as bad as anthrax or EHD. Not even in the same ballpark.

This one should get your attention http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/m...r-cwd/16582545/

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: jeh7mmmag] #5814723 07/02/15 03:35 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
My gripe about that is the owners shouldn't receive anything from the feds for losses. It's a business risk and one that should be insured.

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: rifleman] #5814731 07/02/15 03:40 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: rifleman
My gripe about that is the owners shouldn't receive anything from the feds for losses. It's a business risk and one that should be insured.

Good point, never considered that. Sure would have if I was trying to get into it though. Wonder if there is even a carrier that would touch that type of AG though.

Dennis

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: jeh7mmmag] #5814737 07/02/15 03:44 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Bulls and horses are, can't see why a deer herd or anything acquired through business loan couldn't be.

Kicker would be illegal activity voiding it.

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: nsmike] #5814801 07/02/15 04:20 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: nsmike
Originally Posted By: therancher

This one should get your attention http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/m...r-cwd/16582545/

While I'll agree it's bad, it's not as bad as either anthrax or EHD in the wild. I'd like to see how the disease spread so well in that isolated incident. I'll bet they reused needles or something that caused such an anomaly.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: rifleman] #5814807 07/02/15 04:22 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Bulls and horses are, can't see why a deer herd or anything acquired through business loan couldn't be.

Kicker would be illegal activity voiding it.

Na they all follow the rules popcorn

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: jeh7mmmag] #5814818 07/02/15 04:28 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Most do, you run into some instances, like the New Sommerfield incident, where it might be an issue.

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer [Re: rifleman] #5814838 07/02/15 04:39 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Most do, you run into some instances, like the New Sommerfield incident, where it might be an issue.

It is the "some" that bring the headache/scrutiny onto the "rest". You can add in the arrogant ones that defy the rules per se, Just because there is a rule/reg.

Dennis

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide