476378 Topics
6249363 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#5811524 - 06/30/15 12:11 PM Mt. Goat Hunting Boots.... HELP
Erny Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Smith County
I am looking to buy a pair of boots for a mountain goat hunt in British Columbia. I usually wear high-top tennis shoe type hikers or leather red wing boots when I am hunting. I was told by the outfitter I will need something more substantial. Has anyone been on a mountain goat and what boots did you wear? Not only is it going to be steep and rocky but it will rain a lot as well. I was looking at Kenetrek boots but it’s really hard to swallow the idea of 450 dollars for a pair of boots, at least for me.

#5811929 - 06/30/15 04:27 PM Re: Mt. Goat Hunting Boots.... HELP [Re: Erny]
nsmike Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: MN
I hunted chamois in Germany many years ago. You need a rigid sole to prevent getting stone bruises on your feet. Go look at mountain climbing and mountain hiking boots most have a very stiff sole.

#5812672 - 06/30/15 10:42 PM Re: Mt. Goat Hunting Boots.... HELP [Re: Erny]
BOBO the Clown Online   content
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Only bad thing about Texas is the lack of places to try on boots.

My advice call lathrop and sons after measuring your foot width and length. Just see what they recommend.
Narrow fit is a different boot option then wide feet.

I'm a zamberlian fan but I have really wide feet.

#5812774 - 07/01/15 05:30 AM Re: Mt. Goat Hunting Boots.... HELP [Re: BOBO the Clown]
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Big Eddy Road, Noonday
My personal faves are the Lowa GTX "Sheep Hunters". But one thing I've learned over the years is that the human foot is one of the most variable things on God's earth. What suits me best may not feel the same to you. My own brother doesn't care for Lowas, but swoons with rapture over anything Ecco.

Seeing as you are in Tyler (and if your foot size is approx 10D), you are welcome to come over and try mine for size and fit. My current pair are in good shape, having been on just one hunt, that for a Wyoming ram.

#5812863 - 07/01/15 07:32 AM Re: Mt. Goat Hunting Boots.... HELP [Re: Erny]
Ethan Savitsky Offline
Woodsman

Loc: New Mexico
I live in Kenetrek Boots. Mountain Extremes in the cold months, and Hardscrabble Hikers in warmer weather.
Cabelas and Sportsman's Warehouse keep them in stock. They come in 3 widths. Kenetrek Boots

#5818923 - 07/05/15 09:49 PM Re: Mt. Goat Hunting Boots.... HELP [Re: dawaba]
Erny Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: dawaba
My personal faves are the Lowa GTX "Sheep Hunters". But one thing I've learned over the years is that the human foot is one of the most variable things on God's earth. What suits me best may not feel the same to you. My own brother doesn't care for Lowas, but swoons with rapture over anything Ecco.

Seeing as you are in Tyler (and if your foot size is approx 10D), you are welcome to come over and try mine for size and fit. My current pair are in good shape, having been on just one hunt, that for a Wyoming ram.

Dawaba that is a very generous offer, but I wear a size 11. Thanks or the offer, though! Tyler is definitely lacking in places to shop for high end outdoor gear.

#5819119 - 07/06/15 12:23 AM Re: Mt. Goat Hunting Boots.... HELP [Re: Erny]
Jerry Fisk Offline
Woodsman

Loc: SW Arkansas
Im another for Kenetrek boots. I run the non insulated right now with room for two pairs of wool socks

www.jerryfisk.com

#5824109 - 07/08/15 11:00 PM Re: Mt. Goat Hunting Boots.... HELP [Re: Erny]
Big Fitz Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
I highly recommend Cabela's "perfekt" boot by Meindl. The have been by far the best boots I have used and like them much better than my Danner Pronghorns. They are comfortable but provide good support. I am a heavy guy at 280 lbs and have used them in Colorado on an elk hunt as well as South Texas for Aoudad. Awesome boot in every respect.

Cabelas

#5824183 - 07/09/15 04:01 AM Re: Mt. Goat Hunting Boots.... HELP [Re: Erny]
Hardware Sales Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Dallas, TX
avoid 'big box store' shoes (no cheap Academy stuff)
cheap shoes shoes ruin your entire trip

Avoid the 'Gortex' gimmick (they make your feet hot, sweaty, uncomfortable).

Best Boots I ever owned - Merrel 'Wilderness' and also Danner 'Mountain Light' ... both $400 and worth every penny

Best Budget Boots by far ... Red Wing lace up, high top or mid top work boots (plus you'll use them all year long once you get back from your goat trip).

Super Budget ... Army Surplus will do the job in a pinch - tried and true, if it's good enough for the Marines ...

Best Advice
- whatever you buy, wear them all day, every day before you leave so they are 'fit' to your foot.
- bring 'moleskin' ... it is a lifesaver if you get hotspots or blisters in the wilderness.
- socks, socks, and more socks ... try several combinations of socks. believe it or not my favorite combination of socks are two pair of every day black dress socks 'gold toe'

Last Note - every marine will tell you over and over, foot powder several times a day and athletes foot cream (if you ever get athletes foot in the wilderness, it is extremely painful.

Summary: Moleskin, Red Wing, Break In, Socks, foot powder, foot cream.

Good Hunting and God Bless -

#5826073 - 07/10/15 11:21 AM Re: Mt. Goat Hunting Boots.... HELP [Re: Erny]
Theringworm Online   content
Bird Dog

Zamberlans, best fitting boot I have ever owned and/or tried on (which includes, Vasque, Asolo, Lowa, Danner, Merrels, & La Sportiva). I also own a pair of insulated Cabelas Meindls for the sub freezing hunts. I have heard a lot of great things about Kenetreks as well. Many friends wear them.

One thing you should not put a budget on is a great pair of boots. You will regret every minute if you do.

#5826080 - 07/10/15 11:25 AM Re: Mt. Goat Hunting Boots.... HELP [Re: Erny]
WBT Offline

Loc: Dallas
I've hunted goats twice in BC and both times I used Lowa Sheephunters from Schnees. Regardless of what you get, wear them this summer/fall and get them broken in. I also strongly suggest using wool socks with a synthetic liner. This will help prevent blisters. Nothing is worse than that.

#5828145 - 07/11/15 10:27 PM Re: Mt. Goat Hunting Boots.... HELP [Re: Erny]
Erny Offline
Pro Tracker

Thanks everyone. I ordered a pair of Kenetrek desert guide boots. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help.[ smile

#5828451 - 07/12/15 10:36 AM Re: Mt. Goat Hunting Boots.... HELP [Re: Erny]
Jerry Fisk Offline
Woodsman

Loc: SW Arkansas
erny, you will like Kenetrek. I broke mine in with a measured 50 miles of wear before i took them in the field. Ubet on the wool socks to wear with them.

Edited by Jerry Fisk (07/12/15 12:14 PM)

www.jerryfisk.com

#5828477 - 07/12/15 10:55 AM Re: Mt. Goat Hunting Boots.... HELP [Re: Erny]
Cat hunter Offline
Light Foot

I only wear schnees boots. I have their PAC boots and their granite boots. Awesome boots

#5828846 - 07/12/15 04:46 PM Re: Mt. Goat Hunting Boots.... HELP [Re: Erny]
SheepHunter Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: East Texas
Sorry it's been to many years for me to remember. However one year I hunted Sheep. I loved my boots (just can't) remember the name. They were great in every aspect of the hunt. The very next year I went to B.C. for mountain goat and used the same pair of boots. They were great once again until I had to walk on frozen ice. I spent more time crawling and falling on my butt than walking upright. The soles of my boots became slick as glass. Rock great....Ice bad...

Good hunting. If you're going soon better get to breaking them in. Liner with wool socks walking up

You might want to read ALASKA GEAR

Edited by SheepHunter (07/12/15 04:59 PM)

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide