Print Thread
traveling with firearm #5808878 06/28/15 04:11 PM
V
vanguard Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
V
so im going to florida to vist my son, from texas to florida can i bring my pistol along for protection, no ccp.

Re: traveling with firearm [Re: vanguard] #5808956 06/28/15 06:08 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: traveling with firearm [Re: vanguard] #5809264 06/28/15 11:15 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You would be good in Texas as long as it's concealed and you don't commit any offense other than a class C traffic offense, but you would have to research the laws of each state you will be going through. If you don't have a CHL the reciprocity won't apply.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: traveling with firearm [Re: vanguard] #5809298 06/28/15 11:47 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Check http://www.handgunlaw.us

You can research each state you will be driving through to see their laws and if they allow carry without a permit in the car.

For instance if you click on Florida an scroll down you get:

RV/Car Carry Without a Permit/License
790.25 Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons
(5) Possession in Private Conveyance.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self- defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
790.001 Definitions.-- As Used in This Chapter, Except Where the Context Otherwise Requires:
(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.—
(1) DECLARATION OF POLICY.—The Legislature finds as a matter of public policy and fact that it is necessary to promote firearms safety and to curb and prevent the use of firearms and other weapons in crime and by incompetent persons without prohibiting the lawful use in defense of life, home, and property, and the use by United States or state military organizations, and as otherwise now authorized by law, including the right to use and own firearms for target practice and marksmanship on target practice ranges or other lawful places, and lawful hunting and other lawful purposes.

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 06/28/15 11:53 PM.
Re: traveling with firearm [Re: Spacemonkey] #5809308 06/28/15 11:59 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:
it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self- defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use

This makes no since to me though. It's legal to carry it in your car for self defense but it has to be securely encased and not readily available! Wtf?

Edit: makes more since now. Nevermind!

Quote:
"Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 06/29/15 12:17 AM.
Re: traveling with firearm [Re: vanguard] #5809313 06/29/15 12:03 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Me myself, I'd being carrying a short barrel'd Long gun ....uuummm min barrel length 20 guage gas gun that can be shot one handed if need be....and buck shot. Too many legal issues without a CHP and handgun of any kind INSIDE the vehicle...if push came to shove with the local Federales who jist luv Texans...said a old timey travelling sales rep who covered that area wearing Texas plates.

Had a Lousyanna SO pull out of the east bound rest stop east of Lafayette on I-10 right before you get up on the Atchafalya Bridge going into Baton Rouge ....and race down the ramp with out OH lights or headlights to crowd me out of my lane into the left lane, then pull me over when I didn't signal the lane change I'd made to avoid him, at 10 under the Limit...then toss the Buick for an hour+ ...at midnite after I had left Houston before sundown and had gas & food tickets to prove it.

Set him free when I popped the trunk at his request and saw all my fishing tackle neatly stowed in tackle boxes...said they were "evidence of drug activity" until I opened every last one of them and took out 200+ lures...said I fit the "Drug Profile" of white mid 40'ish semi fat at 240, with facial hair, wearing jewelry ( a watch, my wedding ring and a man's family heirloom diamond ring on the right hand, driving a late model dark colored Buick 4 door at under the Speed limit...with a loaded pistol in a locked suitcase in the trunk...and wrote me a warning ticket when he found the shotgun under the front passenger seat...even checked the pump gun for a waterfowl plug....LOLOL

I Doan't miss travelling thru Lousyanna.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 06/29/15 12:12 AM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: traveling with firearm [Re: vanguard] #5809350 06/29/15 12:27 AM
S
Spacemonkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: vanguard
so im going to florida to vist my son, from texas to florida can i bring my pistol along for protection, no ccp.

Looks like your ok to take it with you but it has to be unloaded and cased in Alabama. Research it for yourself though in the event I missread something!

Quote:
RV/Car Carry Without a Permit/License
You must have a Permit/License to carry a loaded handgun in any vehicle.
Alabama Code 13A-11-73(b) Except as otherwise prohibited by law. A person legally permitted to possess a pistol, but who does not possess a valid concealed weapon permit, may possess an unloaded pistol in his or her motor vehicle if the pistol is locked in a compartment or container that is in or affixed securely to the vehicle and out of reach of the driver and any passenger in the vehicle.
A person may lawfully transport a firearm, including a handgun, from one state in which they are legal to possess to another state without a permit as required under Alabama law, provided the following conditions are met:
 The firearm is unloaded.
 Neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly
accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle.
 In case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm and
ammunition shall be in a locked container other than the glove box or console.
Title 18 U.S.C. section 926A

Re: traveling with firearm [Re: vanguard] #5809493 06/29/15 02:47 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Alabama is the main stickler from what I remember when looking at this in the past unloaded and locked case for there I think. Be sure to check MS and LA laws as well.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide