Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Essential tremor and shooting #5794234 06/18/15 02:07 AM
68A Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Unfortunately, it runs in my family, as does Parkinsons. Ive been dealing with it since about 16. Ive always had high hopes of being accurate at long distances but obviously its not in the cards for me. Things like stress, crowds of people, etc... make it worse and even with medication it wont completely stop. Was wondering if anyone else deals with it or knows someone that does, and how they mitigate it while shooting.

Re: Essential tremor and shooting [Re: 68A] #5794247 06/18/15 02:15 AM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I also have essential tremors, and they really suck. I really hate when folks ask me if I am nervous when they see my hands shaking. When I was younger, I was an excellent shot with both firearms and a pool cue. My pool game is practically non existent now. The thing I struggle with most is holding on to things, especially small or light weight things. I find it really hard to lightly grasp something without it falling through my fingers.

Re: Essential tremor and shooting [Re: 68A] #5794258 06/18/15 02:26 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I think a good friend of mine has it. I've never asked about it and he's never brought it up. A few people notice his shaking, but if they bring it up I just ignore it. He seems to struggle to get some words out, but it's taught me to calm the heck down and really listen. He loves to hunt and manages to connect when he needs to.

I can't imagine y'all's frustration.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Essential tremor and shooting [Re: Colt W. Knight] #5794284 06/18/15 02:39 AM
68A Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight
I also have essential tremors, and they really suck. I really hate when folks ask me if I am nervous when they see my hands shaking.

I know the feeling, people ask all the time what's wrong with me. Getting pulled over by a cop is even worse, the automatically think I'm nervous and hiding something. It's tough for me to do alot of everyday things but I've found ways to deal with it. But at the range I always want to be more accurate, which in turn leads to more frustration, which in turn makes me shake worse.

Re: Essential tremor and shooting [Re: 68A] #5794491 06/18/15 11:07 AM
B
bdotson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Where do you live? where do you shoot? just what kind of accuracy are you looking for? what will help with this condition, less crowd less stress? let us know I might be able to help.

Re: Essential tremor and shooting [Re: bdotson] #5794537 06/18/15 12:15 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: bdotson
Where do you live? where do you shoot? just what kind of accuracy are you looking for? what will help with this condition, less crowd less stress? let us know I might be able to help.

Me too.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Essential tremor and shooting [Re: 68A] #5794876 06/18/15 03:51 PM
J
jeff1383 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I could only suggest setting your rifle up with good solid front and rear bag support and a light pull weight trigger. Try to come off the rifle enough but not too much as to not spot hits/misses. Sorry to hear of your frustration and hopefully someone who experiences this can chime in on what works for them.

Re: Essential tremor and shooting [Re: bdotson] #5794980 06/18/15 04:50 PM
68A Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: bdotson

Im moving back home to the Lavon area in a couple weeks. Mostly shoot at public ranges lately, both here and back home. I dont like it, I have a harder time focusing when there's large caliber rifles on either side. Hoping to get on a private range when I get back, hopefully less traffic. As far as accuracy goes, I think I'm looking for consistency. Sometimes I can shoot 1-1.5 and them it'll open up to 2-2.5 inches. Realistically, I guess that's accurate enough at 100 yds but it goes without saying the problem compounds itself when I get buck fever. Learning how to control myself a little better in those situations would go along way. It'd also be nice to have confidence at distances a little farther, maybe 200-300 yds. The problem I really face is keeping my head steady on the cheek weld. I can get setup in a position with the rifle solid but then dealing with the crosshair dance in the bullseye is maddening.

FiremanJG, I know we've talked about coming out for your class and I still have full intentions to when I get back and get settled.

Re: Essential tremor and shooting [Re: 68A] #5794988 06/18/15 04:52 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Is it just your hands, or is it your body? Is it rifle or pistol, or both? If you tremor in your neck or head, this could be hard. If you could firm up the rifle and minimize the contact with the rifle with the area you tremor, that might help. If it's your hands, you could firm up the rifle support with front and rear bags, and keep solid pressure with your cheek, and just use a finger to pull the trigger. If we are talking about pistol shooting, I would have no clue how to firm that up.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Essential tremor and shooting [Re: 68A] #5794995 06/18/15 04:57 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
On the rifle part, you may need to reduce your scope power. That will help reduce seeing your cross hair bounce, and give you a larger picture. The buck fever is a self control on managing the excitement to still make the shot. I get it on occasion. If there are any local shooting matches, or guys you know that you could put together an informal match or challenge between guys, this will help. Bring a timer, and create some simple shooting stages and make it where you have a certain amount of time to complete. The timer will add the stress part to it, which is similar to buck fever.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Essential tremor and shooting [Re: ChadTRG42] #5795001 06/18/15 05:00 PM
68A Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Is it just your hands, or is it your body? Is it rifle or pistol, or both? If you tremor in your neck or head, this could be hard. If you could firm up the rifle and minimize the contact with the rifle with the area you tremor, that might help. If it's your hands, you could firm up the rifle support with front and rear bags, and keep solid pressure with your cheek, and just use a finger to pull the trigger. If we are talking about pistol shooting, I would have no clue how to firm that up.

Usually it stays in the hands but when I get behind a scope it starts in my head/neck. I'm not sure if that's from excitement and/or stress. I try to minimize contact with my hands. I go as far as putting a bag under my trigger hand. But Im not sure if this is having adverse effects on my ability to follow through. After doing some reading it seems like other people that deal with it don't try to stay on target, once the crosshairs are on they pull, not squeeze.

Pistols are a different story. I shy away from them for this very reason. I only own one and if I can hit a torso sized target at 10-15 yds I'm doing alright. I'm better off just throwing rocks.

Re: Essential tremor and shooting [Re: 68A] #5795003 06/18/15 05:02 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I wonder if neck angle has anything to do with it. Do different stocks/set ups help at all?

Re: Essential tremor and shooting [Re: 68A] #5795014 06/18/15 05:10 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 68A

FiremanJG, I know we've talked about coming out for your class and I still have full intentions to when I get back and get settled.

I can help. Plus after that you can be a member of my range and shoot by yourself most any time you want. Not too bad a drive from Lavon to Wolfe City.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Essential tremor and shooting [Re: Cleric] #5795025 06/18/15 05:18 PM
68A Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Cleric
I wonder if neck angle has anything to do with it. Do different stocks/set ups help at all?

Thats a good question. I have a pad on one of my rifles, but honestly I havent noticed a change either way. My posture obviously worsens or reduces the tremor. Any position that requires more muscle support will make it worse, I try to rest the full weight of my head on the stock but it can kinda wind up being an odd position.

Re: Essential tremor and shooting [Re: J.G.] #5795027 06/18/15 05:19 PM
68A Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

I can help. Plus after that you can be a member of my range and shoot by yourself most any time you want. Not too bad a drive from Lavon to Wolfe City.

Thanks, I will be in touch in the next few weeks.

Re: Essential tremor and shooting [Re: 68A] #5795053 06/18/15 05:30 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Cleric

Thats a good question. I have a pad on one of my rifles, but honestly I havent noticed a change either way. My posture obviously worsens or reduces the tremor. Any position that requires more muscle support will make it worse, I try to rest the full weight of my head on the stock but it can kinda wind up being an odd position.

I wonder if differenet stock types might help. But also some sort of rifle tripod support. I am thinking like a ball head with a rifle grip that can be easily adjusted. That way you dont support the rifle. It would limit your ability to react to movement but would remove some stress

Re: Essential tremor and shooting [Re: J.G.] #5797982 06/20/15 08:37 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

You sure are a great guy! I love this place!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide