Print Thread
Not all trips to the lease are made the same #5787114 06/13/15 04:08 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Went out last night for some filling feeders and hoping to get some hunting in....got all packed up and I let my wife talk me into taking the dogs at the last minute.

Get to the lease and first things I do is miss a coyote because I over judged how far away he was, shot right over his back. Turned out he was just a baby and was closer than he looked just because he was so small. See several trees split from ?weather? So I got worried about my blinds. Pull around to one of my blinds and sure enough it was on its side with the door hanging open. Go down to the feeder and open it up and find it is about half full still, fill it up and then test it with a spin...nothing. Try again, nothing. Motor is seized up. I then realize I forgot to put my lease tool box in the truck, so I have I tools and no chains. But I did have some cargo straps in the truck, so I go set the stand back up using the straps and get the carpet and chairs back right, after getting all the mud dauber nests off and spiders out, and then I realize my one dog hasn't been around for a long time. Totally unlike her as she is usually a very people clingy dog and will at least hang with her sister, but not tonight. I spend the next 90 minutes looking for her and walking/driving around while yelling her name, essentially ruining my hunting grounds, but I didn't care at that point. I needed to find that dog or else all hell would break loose at home. After parking again and walking some fence line with my thermal and having no luck I finally find her back at the truck. Dang dog, but happy she was back. It was well after dark at that point, have no idea where she was or how far she went. Then I make a decision to drive out to the nearest Walmart (the only thing open at this point and still 30 minutes away) to see if they have any feeders (they didn't) or at least some tools I could use to take apart another feeder because I had some good deer showing at this feeder as recent as two days ago, and I wanted something throwing some corn to keep them coming; my next trip to the lease wasn't going to be until late July. So I buy a tool set to take apart another unused feeder at I had sitting at the lease (remember no tool box, so this little set will stay in the truck console from now on) and I was able to switch the motor box between the two feeders (you all know it sounds much easier than that it actually is) and got the bigger one up and running. It was now lightning all around me, it was 1:30 am, and I was on the verge of getting rained on, so I called it a night. Got soaked as I was getting through the main gate on the way out, but that helped keep me awake while driving home. All in all, a very frustrating but very productive night at the lease.

Plenty of signs of overflowed water running, with plenty of standing water and tanks filled up for the first time in 4 years. Only saw the two trees split, I am guessing from the weather. The bucks on camera were growing well, I think this is going to be a good year in north Texas, sorry for no pics, it wasn't on the mind at the time I looked And never went back to the cameras because I was busy doing other jobs. With more raining looking to hit the area today, it looks like last night already dumped somewhere north of 3/4 inch rain, and next week is looking promising for more as well. Should be a fun deer hunting season!

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 06/13/15 04:15 PM. Reason: Dang cell phone
Re: Not all trips to the lease are made the same [Re: Texas buckeye] #5787144 06/13/15 04:36 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
crazy Man I am stressed just reading all that grin Glad your pup found you back. cheers

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Not all trips to the lease are made the same [Re: Texas buckeye] #5787161 06/13/15 04:44 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Been there with the dog missing. Two times my lab has decided to either go bck to the truck or back to the house. Have no idea why, but certainly frustrating.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Not all trips to the lease are made the same [Re: Texas buckeye] #5787217 06/13/15 05:39 PM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
When it rains it pours

Re: Not all trips to the lease are made the same [Re: Texas buckeye] #5787335 06/13/15 07:46 PM
Beaubien Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Similar story with a dog. My six-month-old Pointer decided to take off on her own while I was setting pig snares. I saw a coyote Crest a small hill about 15 yards away. I heard a Yelp that sounded like my puppy.

I grabbed my rifle , ran over the hill, shot a coyote as he was running away. I hear more coyotes down in the Canyon and start looking for my puppies body. After 45 minutes of searching, I headed back to the truck on the four wheeler. I was almost in tears the whole way back. Lo and behold I find her underneath the camper wagging her tail asking where you been ?

Glad your dog is ok.

Last edited by Beaubien; 06/13/15 07:51 PM.

Re: Not all trips to the lease are made the same [Re: Texas buckeye] #5787932 06/14/15 03:27 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
That was enough descriptions of work that it made me tired.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Not all trips to the lease are made the same [Re: Texas buckeye] #5788228 06/14/15 02:55 PM
T
tdecker22 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Good lord man. It just wasn't your day.

Re: Not all trips to the lease are made the same [Re: tdecker22] #5788539 06/14/15 06:51 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I did not know that some men do not carry "tools" in their truck at all times!!! bolt

Re: Not all trips to the lease are made the same [Re: Texas buckeye] #5791231 06/16/15 02:33 PM
P
pkfergy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
When I was younger hunting with my dad I used to gripe and moan about loading up the truck each time with this heavy "box" full of crap and odds & ends of random tools and hunting stuff. He always told me - Son, you never know when we might need something out of that box... Funny thing is, now I have a similiar box I pack every single time and hardly ever get into it - but when I do I typically can find something that I can use to fix or replace something at the lease.

Re: Not all trips to the lease are made the same [Re: Texas buckeye] #5794232 06/18/15 02:05 AM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I love work. I can read about it for hours.

I just got a new place and it's been wet and muddy for six months. I wore out a pair of rubber boots on the place. It had just dried up when it started raining again this week. I've given up waiting for dry weather and have just been slopping around in the mud, getting things fixed up.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: Not all trips to the lease are made the same [Re: Texas buckeye] #5794306 06/18/15 02:53 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Not all the trips to the lease are made the same?

I learned that the night I was parked for two hours on Hwy 19 a few miles north of Trinity and watching two medical helicopters transport the survivors of a head on. And when they finally did open the highway to a single lane, I passed by a van with a sheet covering the front passenger area. Let's just say that deer and hunting got a lot less important that night, and I'm reminded of it just about every time I pass that same spot, night or day.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Not all trips to the lease are made the same [Re: Texas Dan] #5794383 06/18/15 03:50 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I learned that the night I was parked for two hours on Hwy 19 a few miles north of Trinity and watching two medical helicopters transport the survivors of a head on. And when they finally did open the highway to a single lane, I passed by a van with a sheet covering the front passenger area. Let's just say that deer and hunting got a lot less important that night, and I'm reminded of it just about every time I pass that same spot, night or day.

Hey man I get it. Learned a good lesson while in Iraq after seeing countless dead guys come into the hospital that simply were being in the wrong place at the wrong time. When God stamps your passport home, He is going to figure out a way to bring you home, and there is nothing we can do to prevent that from happening.

It has taught me to live each day as if my last, and enjoy everything a little more. There's a reason that head on wasn't with your car man, try not to fixate on it too much and just enjoy what little time you have left on this rock. up

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 06/18/15 03:51 AM.
Re: Not all trips to the lease are made the same [Re: Texas buckeye] #5794423 06/18/15 04:54 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
N
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Hey man I get it. Learned a good lesson while in Iraq after seeing countless dead guys come into the hospital that simply were being in the wrong place at the wrong time. When God stamps your passport home, He is going to figure out a way to bring you home, and there is nothing we can do to prevent that from happening.

It has taught me to live each day as if my last, and enjoy everything a little more. There's a reason that head on wasn't with your car man, try not to fixate on it too much and just enjoy what little time you have left on this rock. up

Did not mean to distract from the intent of your post. I was drawn more to the "trip" aspect of your post title with thoughts not only of the account that I shared, but how others have told their own accounts of trips to their lease that did not go well.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Not all trips to the lease are made the same [Re: sqiggy] #5808269 06/27/15 10:34 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
I did not know that some men do not carry "tools" in their truck at all times!!! bolt

....and a box in the RV just in case!

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Not all trips to the lease are made the same [Re: Texas buckeye] #5809076 06/28/15 08:13 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
If something wasn't broke or missing.... it wouldn't seem right

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Not all trips to the lease are made the same [Re: Texas buckeye] #5810345 06/29/15 08:25 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I carry more dang tools than Ace Hardware, but I never have that exact size bolt or nut. Why is that?

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide