Print Thread
DIY manual bird launcher / tip over release #5789891 06/15/15 05:13 PM
E
ElMatadorBorracho Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
E
anyone have a blue print? I got my pup back from the trainer after a week long kennel stay (i was out of town) and hes doing well with birds and been introduced to gun fire. I'd like to keep that up while we wait for the full program this fall, but wow bird launchers are expensive. Do I need a launcher really? Is a DIY manual launcher or a tip over good enough? While 30 bucks for a tip over basket is not that much, I feel like I can make that from stuff at home depot for less than half the cost.

....now if I can only find some pigeons nesting nearby.

Re: DIY manual bird launcher / tip over release [Re: ElMatadorBorracho] #5790145 06/15/15 07:49 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Bird launchers are not necessary. I trained for years without them.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: DIY manual bird launcher / tip over release [Re: ElMatadorBorracho] #5790157 06/15/15 07:57 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Just make a small cage out of hardware cloth with no bottom, put the bird in it & set a rock on top. Work dog in from downwind side & hopefully find & point the bird, walk in & kick the cage over, bird flushes. Fire blank gun or shoot bird. Repeat.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: DIY manual bird launcher / tip over release [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #5790197 06/15/15 08:23 PM
E
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
E
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Just make a small cage out of hardware cloth with no bottom, put the bird in it & set a rock on top. Work dog in from downwind side & hopefully find & point the bird, walk in & kick the cage over, bird flushes. Fire blank gun or shoot bird. Repeat.

That's my kind of launcher! Thanks!

Re: DIY manual bird launcher / tip over release [Re: ElMatadorBorracho] #5792737 06/17/15 07:58 AM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
The price of sending your dog to a trainer will cover all your quality dog training gear. With all the videos and books available , including gun dog forums for individual questions train yourself

Re: DIY manual bird launcher / tip over release [Re: blanked] #5793392 06/17/15 05:35 PM
E
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
E
Originally Posted By: blanked
The price of sending your dog to a trainer will cover all your quality dog training gear. With all the videos and books available , including gun dog forums for individual questions train yourself

But, I fear messing up my dog or not getting as finished a hunter if I didnt give them the base at a proper trainer. Am I wrong?

Re: DIY manual bird launcher / tip over release [Re: ElMatadorBorracho] #5793976 06/17/15 11:31 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I trained without launchers. I planted pen raised quail. You have to have time and a place to train. Here was my process.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...nar#Post3087687

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I've had a few PMs asking about my training method. I did this on another forum, so I still have the pictures in my album, so here goes;

All bird dogs point. The breaking process teaches them to hold point. There are two ways to teach a dog to hold point, with dozens of variations. The first way is to let the birds train the pups. That generally involves launchers and pigeons, with some whoa breaking mixed in. It's very effective. I use the Delmar Smith method, substituting the e-collar for the bump under the chin. My dogs are completely whoa broke before I put them on birds. I use pen raised quail, because I can be done with them for the summer. I like to start in August, and finish in time for hunting season.

I start off on the whoa post. I introduce the e-collar the same day, that I introduce the whos post. Here's cracker on her first day with the whoa post;

I keep them on the whoa post only until I can get out in front of them, and then go to the yard for heel and whoa. Cracker tended to sit, so I had to start with the suitcase hitch. I go from the yard to longer walks. The pup has pretty well gotten it down after three weeks.

I then go from the walks to whoa in the field. Here's Cracker in the field in the field, before I put her on birds. This whole process has taken me around four weeks.

This is her first day on birds. I train alone, so I had to plant the bird, where I could wrap the CC around a bush. Notice the slack CC.

I kept her on the CC for three training days. She only went around on the bird one time. Here she is after 9 training flushes.

I started walking some of the birds out after a few days. Here you go;

A little side note. My birds were not recalling all that well, so I used Cookie to point them while I netted them;

A lot depends on the pup, and you have to adjust for each pup. Cracker has never taken out a single pointed bird or covey.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: DIY manual bird launcher / tip over release [Re: ElMatadorBorracho] #5795956 06/19/15 03:45 AM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Pointing dogs are easy- buy 1 pair of Randall boots, when you wear them out, you will have a good pointing dog.

Robby

Re: DIY manual bird launcher / tip over release [Re: Birdhunter61] #5796514 06/19/15 05:25 PM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Birdhunter61
Pointing dogs are easy- buy 1 pair of Randall boots, when you wear them out, you will have a good pointing dog.

Robby

Thats one way of putting it. Wild birds will teach your pup to hunt and point. Teach pup to come when called and get pup used to the gun blast. Then take pup hunting. Keep your mouth shut except for praise

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide