Print Thread
Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? #5790756 06/16/15 01:57 AM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
We have had a couple discussions on lawyer made trusts, DIY trusts, and everything in between. So I'm curious, how many people have been checked by any form of law enforcement? Other than filing paperwork, how many folks have had to use that paperwork to justify ownership of an item?

Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: krmitchell] #5790872 06/16/15 03:08 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Never, and had 2 GW check hunting lic, and LEO on a stop. Most wouldn't know for sure what they were looking at anyway. Mine is in my companies name, and I couldn't "prove" I was an employee on the spot without other documentation.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: krmitchell] #5790911 06/16/15 03:55 AM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Were they aware of the suppressors?

Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: krmitchell] #5790912 06/16/15 03:57 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I have traveled to multiple states,flown on airplanes,Been checked by Game officials and County sheriff no one even acknowledged the fact I had a Suppressor that was on the end of my rifle

Last edited by DStroud; 06/16/15 03:58 AM.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: krmitchell] #5791173 06/16/15 01:54 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Nevertheless, it's one of those places in life where, when you're wrong, you're really wrong. It's worth the time to cross your t's and dot your i's.

It's clear that there are elements within BATF that have a pedantically legalistic view of affairs and are perfectly willing to send you to jail for **years** over very minor / reasonable / understandable mistakes, even, or especially, in places where the law is unclear.

You really want to be **strictly** legal at all times. It's not a place where you want to push boundaries.

FWIW, I keep images of my tax stamps and serial numbers on my phone.

Last edited by syncerus; 06/16/15 01:55 PM. Reason: speling

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: krmitchell] #5791188 06/16/15 02:07 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
You are not required to supply the paperwork to LEOs, game wardens, sheriff's, etc....only to an ATF agent. It says so on the paperwork. My guess is they would have no idea what they are looking at anyway.

I have owned suppressors for years and traveled back and forth to Arkansas with my SBR's and suppressors multiple times, never been checked, but I've also never been pulled over while traveling with them or checked by a game warden.

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Mine is in my companies name, and I couldn't "prove" I was an employee on the spot without other documentation.

Mine too.

Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: syncerus] #5791189 06/16/15 02:08 PM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: syncerus
Nevertheless, it's one of those places in life where, when you're wrong, you're really wrong. It's worth the time to cross your t's and dot your i's.

It's clear that there are elements within BATF that have a pedantically legalistic view of affairs and are perfectly willing to send you to jail for **years** over very minor / reasonable / understandable mistakes, even, or especially, in places where the law is unclear.

You really want to be **strictly** legal at all times. It's not a place where you want to push boundaries.

FWIW, I keep images of my tax stamps and serial numbers on my phone.

As do I, along with a copy of my trust. I also keep the same in my truck, shooting bag and gun case.

Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: krmitchell] #5791257 06/16/15 02:58 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Were they aware of the suppressors?

Yes. The rifle I was holding had it on the end of the barrel.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: krmitchell] #5791296 06/16/15 03:27 PM
H
huck18 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Seems to me like some of you way overthink this stuff. Like Doc said its only up to the ATF to check not LEOs or Game Wardens.

There is nothing wrong with drafting your own trust docs. Paying an attorney is a waste of good money.

Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: krmitchell] #5791344 06/16/15 03:51 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I keep copies of the stamps and trust with me whenever I carry a suppressor with me.
Now, another question.
If you travel with them across state lines (to another state where they are legal)don't you have to go online somewhere and fill out a form with the ATF?

[Linked Image]
Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: krmitchell] #5791405 06/16/15 04:25 PM
N
NTXBowfisher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
I had, on multiple occasions, a range officer tell me they "were required by law" to check my paperwork, I told them that was not true but i'll show it to you anyway...

signature coming soon
Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: krmitchell] #5791499 06/16/15 05:34 PM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I had a RO ask me to see my paperwork. I politely said no and he told me to kick rocks. I asked him if he asked every person that comes to shoot if they are a felon. He reminded me I needed to kick rocks.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: TX_LT230FH] #5791687 06/16/15 07:29 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: TX_LT230FH
I keep copies of the stamps and trust with me whenever I carry a suppressor with me.
Now, another question.
If you travel with them across state lines (to another state where they are legal)don't you have to go online somewhere and fill out a form with the ATF?

You only have to fill out the form when traveling across state lines with SBR's and machine guns. Suppressors do not require the form.

It is form 5320.20. I fill it out once per year so I can travel to Arkansas with my SBR's for hunting. For the dates you can put a "From/To" date of 364 days apart so you only have to do it once per year.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61536/download

Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: TexFlip] #5791702 06/16/15 07:46 PM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: huck18
Seems to me like some of you way overthink this stuff. Like Doc said its only up to the ATF to check not LEOs or Game Wardens.

There is nothing wrong with drafting your own trust docs. Paying an attorney is a waste of good money.

As I understand Texas state law, you as the holder of the NFA item bear the burden of responsibility to prove you are legally allowed to possess a NFA item if requested by a LEO.
Originally Posted By: NTXBowfisher
I had, on multiple occasions, a range officer tell me they "were required by law" to check my paperwork, I told them that was not true but i'll show it to you anyway...

This is where I would refuse, what right do they have to check my items? Also, I'm not about to hand my trust over with an itemized list of what is contained in it to a stranger. That is just ridiculous that they even ask.
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
I had a RO ask me to see my paperwork. I politely said no and he told me to kick rocks. I asked him if he asked every person that comes to shoot if they are a felon. He reminded me I needed to kick rocks.

This would have been my response. I have yet to see why a range could give a crap about my NFA items. As I said above, I'm not about to hand over my paperwork to a stranger with information that quite honestly is none of his business.

Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: krmitchell] #5791787 06/16/15 08:44 PM
boonee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I had the owner of a certain indoor gun range ask to see my Stamps on my SBR/suppressor after they asked what I would be shooting in the range. I told him SURE. I have photo copies with my SBR and in the box that I carry my suppressors in. He may not had the right to ask, but it is his range.

Avenger Firearms 214-577-5818
avengerfirearms@gmail.com

Lifetime NRA member
Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: boonee] #5791806 06/16/15 08:51 PM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: boonee
I had the owner of a certain indoor gun range ask to see my Stamps on my SBR/suppressor after they asked what I would be shooting in the range. I told him SURE. I have photo copies with my SBR and in the box that I carry my suppressors in. He may not had the right to ask, but it is his range.

While I agree it is his range, no one can tell me why it matters to them. Are they liable if someone shoots a can they can't have? If so I'd think the same would apply to a felon with a firearm there and they don't ask that. Why aren't they checking CHL's if someone is carrying then decides to go shoot with their carry weapon?

Last edited by rexmitchell; 06/16/15 08:52 PM.
Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: krmitchell] #5791838 06/16/15 09:04 PM
N
NTXBowfisher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
i just show them copies of the stamps, i don't show them the trust, i don't usually carry the trust around anyway. I'll tell them their wrong but still show them because i still want to be able to shoot there...

Last edited by NTXBowfisher; 06/16/15 09:04 PM.

signature coming soon
Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: NTXBowfisher] #5792047 06/16/15 10:36 PM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
i just show them copies of the stamps, i don't show them the trust, i don't usually carry the trust around anyway. I'll tell them their wrong but still show them because i still want to be able to shoot there...

And I can understand that I just don't understand why the care.....

Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: krmitchell] #5792063 06/16/15 10:47 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Online Happy
duck & cover
Online Happy
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

And I can understand that I just don't understand why the care.....

I probably wouldn't check on our range, but if I did, and you didn't want to prove they were legal, then now knowing the phrase, you could kick rocks.

It's totally your choice to show or not, as it is my choice who to allow on my range or not.

I have copies of trust and stamps in any vehicle, my phone, any trustees phones, my briefcase, my wallet, my hat, inside each suppressor sheath, gun case, backpack, etc.

I have had nothing but good dealings with ATF, plan on keeping it that way.

Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: huck18] #5792711 06/17/15 05:06 AM
B
bluesman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B

Since you are obviously an expert at gun trusts, perhaps you would consider taking the time to analyze the following article on gun trusts and then enlighten all of us low information folks with your authoritative analysis of the article.

The name of the article is: "Dispatches from the Trenches of America's Great Gun Trust Wars"

It was written by a law professor at Northwestern University School of Law.

The website location where you can download a pdf is: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2611781##

If reading this doesn't scare the hell out of you and all the other "shoe clerks" practicing law out there then there is no hope. It sure scared the hell out of me. You guys may as well start doing neurosurgery and cardiac surgery. Your potential liability couldn't be any less.

I commend it to all of you shoe clerk lawyers as required reading. You may learn something about how dangerous drafting your own gun trust really is.

As I have said before. You have been warned - HAVE AT IT!!

Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: krmitchell] #5792950 06/17/15 01:39 PM
G
Gemlin Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
G
Ive never been asked to show my forms. However I generally call the Sheriffs office in the county Im going to to let them know Im going to shoot a machinegun. They appreciate it so if someone calls about the machinegun fire, I dont see 20+ deputies show up. Ive had one show up, but he just wanted to shoot it.

Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: krmitchell] #5793027 06/17/15 02:23 PM
C
Chunky Dunk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I am no shoe clerk lawyer for sure, I would not have any problem paying a lawyer to do my trust. From what I have seen they are like $99. That's cheap insurance to keep me out of trouble with the ATF it seems.

Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: bluesman] #5793033 06/17/15 02:26 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: bluesman

The name of the article is: "Dispatches from the Trenches of America's Great Gun Trust Wars"

It was written by a law professor at Northwestern University School of Law.

The website location where you can download a pdf is: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2611781##

If reading this doesn't scare the hell out of you and all the other "shoe clerks" practicing law out there then there is no hope. It sure scared the hell out of me. You guys may as well start doing neurosurgery and cardiac surgery. Your potential liability couldn't be any less.

I commend it to all of you shoe clerk lawyers as required reading. You may learn something about how dangerous drafting your own gun trust really is.

As I have said before. You have been warned - HAVE AT IT!!

I got checked at Red's in Austin..... and I may be or you can call me biased but my wife is an attorney, I had her take a special continuing ed class specializing in firearms related trusts just to cover our azzes.... any trust will get you your item but...... its your butt when chit does not work out like you thought. Its kinda like buying a gun safe sure you can go to xyz store and get a stack-on safe to hold your guns i mean it has a lock and every thing, or you drop dime and get a real safe liberty just to name one..... you get the drift or you dont.....

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide