Forum Stats
60480 Members
45 Forums
476246 Topics
6247394 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5790756 - 06/15/15 08:57 PM Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked?
rexmitchell Online   content
Pro Tracker

We have had a couple discussions on lawyer made trusts, DIY trusts, and everything in between. So I'm curious, how many people have been checked by any form of law enforcement? Other than filing paperwork, how many folks have had to use that paperwork to justify ownership of an item?

#5790872 - 06/15/15 10:08 PM Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: rexmitchell]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Never, and had 2 GW check hunting lic, and LEO on a stop. Most wouldn't know for sure what they were looking at anyway. Mine is in my companies name, and I couldn't "prove" I was an employee on the spot without other documentation.

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#5790911 - 06/15/15 10:55 PM Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: rexmitchell]
Pro Tracker

Were they aware of the suppressors?

#5790912 - 06/15/15 10:57 PM Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: rexmitchell]
DStroud Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Waco
I have traveled to multiple states,flown on airplanes,Been checked by Game officials and County sheriff no one even acknowledged the fact I had a Suppressor that was on the end of my rifle

Edited by DStroud (06/15/15 10:58 PM)

#5791173 - 06/16/15 08:54 AM Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: rexmitchell]
syncerus Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
Nevertheless, it's one of those places in life where, when you're wrong, you're really wrong. It's worth the time to cross your t's and dot your i's.

It's clear that there are elements within BATF that have a pedantically legalistic view of affairs and are perfectly willing to send you to jail for **years** over very minor / reasonable / understandable mistakes, even, or especially, in places where the law is unclear.

You really want to be **strictly** legal at all times. It's not a place where you want to push boundaries.

FWIW, I keep images of my tax stamps and serial numbers on my phone.

Edited by syncerus (06/16/15 08:55 AM)
Edit Reason: speling

#5791188 - 06/16/15 09:07 AM Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: rexmitchell]
DocHorton Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: DFW
You are not required to supply the paperwork to LEOs, game wardens, sheriff's, etc....only to an ATF agent. It says so on the paperwork. My guess is they would have no idea what they are looking at anyway.

I have owned suppressors for years and traveled back and forth to Arkansas with my SBR's and suppressors multiple times, never been checked, but I've also never been pulled over while traveling with them or checked by a game warden.

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Mine is in my companies name, and I couldn't "prove" I was an employee on the spot without other documentation.

Mine too.

#5791189 - 06/16/15 09:08 AM Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: syncerus]
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: syncerus
Nevertheless, it's one of those places in life where, when you're wrong, you're really wrong. It's worth the time to cross your t's and dot your i's.

It's clear that there are elements within BATF that have a pedantically legalistic view of affairs and are perfectly willing to send you to jail for **years** over very minor / reasonable / understandable mistakes, even, or especially, in places where the law is unclear.

You really want to be **strictly** legal at all times. It's not a place where you want to push boundaries.

FWIW, I keep images of my tax stamps and serial numbers on my phone.

As do I, along with a copy of my trust. I also keep the same in my truck, shooting bag and gun case.

#5791257 - 06/16/15 09:58 AM Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: rexmitchell]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Were they aware of the suppressors?

Yes. The rifle I was holding had it on the end of the barrel.

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#5791296 - 06/16/15 10:27 AM Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: rexmitchell]
huck18 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Ft. Worth, Texas
Seems to me like some of you way overthink this stuff. Like Doc said its only up to the ATF to check not LEOs or Game Wardens.

There is nothing wrong with drafting your own trust docs. Paying an attorney is a waste of good money.

#5791344 - 06/16/15 10:51 AM Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: rexmitchell]
TX_LT230FH Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: North Dallas
I keep copies of the stamps and trust with me whenever I carry a suppressor with me.
Now, another question.
If you travel with them across state lines (to another state where they are legal)don't you have to go online somewhere and fill out a form with the ATF?

#5791405 - 06/16/15 11:25 AM Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: rexmitchell]
NTXBowfisher Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: G-vine
I had, on multiple occasions, a range officer tell me they "were required by law" to check my paperwork, I told them that was not true but i'll show it to you anyway...

#5791499 - 06/16/15 12:34 PM Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: rexmitchell]
TexFlip Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Harris County
I had a RO ask me to see my paperwork. I politely said no and he told me to kick rocks. I asked him if he asked every person that comes to shoot if they are a felon. He reminded me I needed to kick rocks.

#5791687 - 06/16/15 02:29 PM Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: TX_LT230FH]
DocHorton Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: DFW
Originally Posted By: TX_LT230FH
I keep copies of the stamps and trust with me whenever I carry a suppressor with me.
Now, another question.
If you travel with them across state lines (to another state where they are legal)don't you have to go online somewhere and fill out a form with the ATF?

You only have to fill out the form when traveling across state lines with SBR's and machine guns. Suppressors do not require the form.

It is form 5320.20. I fill it out once per year so I can travel to Arkansas with my SBR's for hunting. For the dates you can put a "From/To" date of 364 days apart so you only have to do it once per year.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61536/download

#5791702 - 06/16/15 02:46 PM Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: TexFlip]
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: huck18
Seems to me like some of you way overthink this stuff. Like Doc said its only up to the ATF to check not LEOs or Game Wardens.

There is nothing wrong with drafting your own trust docs. Paying an attorney is a waste of good money.

As I understand Texas state law, you as the holder of the NFA item bear the burden of responsibility to prove you are legally allowed to possess a NFA item if requested by a LEO.
Originally Posted By: NTXBowfisher
I had, on multiple occasions, a range officer tell me they "were required by law" to check my paperwork, I told them that was not true but i'll show it to you anyway...

This is where I would refuse, what right do they have to check my items? Also, I'm not about to hand my trust over with an itemized list of what is contained in it to a stranger. That is just ridiculous that they even ask.
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
I had a RO ask me to see my paperwork. I politely said no and he told me to kick rocks. I asked him if he asked every person that comes to shoot if they are a felon. He reminded me I needed to kick rocks.

This would have been my response. I have yet to see why a range could give a crap about my NFA items. As I said above, I'm not about to hand over my paperwork to a stranger with information that quite honestly is none of his business.

#5791787 - 06/16/15 03:44 PM Re: Who has had their suppressor paperwork checked? [Re: rexmitchell]
boonee Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Mesquite
I had the owner of a certain indoor gun range ask to see my Stamps on my SBR/suppressor after they asked what I would be shooting in the range. I told him SURE. I have photo copies with my SBR and in the box that I carry my suppressors in. He may not had the right to ask, but it is his range.

Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide