Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How to rid of coons? [Re: spg] #5854981 07/30/15 12:13 PM
T
TX Hntr Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
The dogproof traps and mini marshmallows have worked well for us. As said above stuff a few at the bottom of the trap.

Re: How to rid of coons? [Re: spg] #5858541 08/01/15 06:44 PM
F
Fez Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Well, I went and got me some DP traps about a week ago. Baited them with sardines and bagged 2 coons within the first 1.5 hours, and the 3rd coon by morning. Then, almost a week later, one more coon with both hands in the trap. Wow!

Turns out these traps are cat-proof as well (Z-Traps) if you use the optional cap (Z-Cap) and stake the traps well in the ground so they won't shake loose. And you DO have to have the traps stable with the caps in there if you want CAT-proof! I stuck 5 traps in the ground, baited and UN-set, capped and uncapped, just to see what my cats would do. They stuck their paws in the uncapped ones, and did everything imaginable to both to try and get the sardines out. They couldn't get anything out of either traps, nor could they uncap the capped ones, but they would have definitely caught themselves if the caps hadn't been placed in the traps once set. They licked them all over and gave up eventually.

Anyways, I'm having trouble with bait theft by ants. I'm using sardines because we have cat food out and I figure the sardine smell would attract coons better than marshmallows if they come for cat food, right? So any ideas about that to do about the ants?

Have fun, be safe.
Re: How to rid of coons? [Re: spg] #5858567 08/01/15 07:11 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Spot light and a .22 how does trump say it, YOUR FIRED! up

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: How to rid of coons? [Re: Fez] #5860835 08/03/15 02:49 PM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Fez
Well, I went and got me some DP traps about a week ago. Baited them with sardines and bagged 2 coons within the first 1.5 hours, and the 3rd coon by morning. Then, almost a week later, one more coon with both hands in the trap. Wow!

Turns out these traps are cat-proof as well (Z-Traps) if you use the optional cap (Z-Cap) and stake the traps well in the ground so they won't shake loose. And you DO have to have the traps stable with the caps in there if you want CAT-proof! I stuck 5 traps in the ground, baited and UN-set, capped and uncapped, just to see what my cats would do. They stuck their paws in the uncapped ones, and did everything imaginable to both to try and get the sardines out. They couldn't get anything out of either traps, nor could they uncap the capped ones, but they would have definitely caught themselves if the caps hadn't been placed in the traps once set. They licked them all over and gave up eventually.

Anyways, I'm having trouble with bait theft by ants. I'm using sardines because we have cat food out and I figure the sardine smell would attract coons better than marshmallows if they come for cat food, right? So any ideas about that to do about the ants?

Any sort of meat is going to draw ants this time of year, summertime usually have to switch more to candy and sweet type baits. If you want to keep using fish your going to have to set em right at night pretty much in the dark and pull em in the morning, otherwise you'll have an ant mound each day

Texas fur and skull buyer
Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide