6246828 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5785712 - 06/12/15 09:06 AM Bees at lease and dilapidated blinds
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
After discovering hives in two different houses on our new lease, blinds that have been neglected that a small owl could fly through aren't necessarily always a bad thing.

I'm meeting an exterminator out there in a couple of weeks. He and a buddy have treated 80+ hives in the last few weeks. I don't think any we've seen are africanized, but we're proceeding with extreme caution.

#5785772 - 06/12/15 10:07 AM Re: Bees at lease and dilapidated blinds [Re: Creekrunner]
spg Online   content
Tracker

Had the same problem, only thing that kills them is Bengal Gold Roach spray. Exterminators only made them leave for a few days, waste of money. If you know exactly where the hive is located drill a hole just big enough to fit the straw that comes with the can of Bengal. Stick the straw in and caulk the gap around the straw then spray the can of Bengal and wait a day.

#5785790 - 06/12/15 10:19 AM Re: Bees at lease and dilapidated blinds [Re: Creekrunner]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I have fought them for 6-7 yrs now in an old farm house on one place. I have used 7 dust and Demon WP to kill them off for a while every year. I patched up the holes into hives after they were gone. They will move back in and use a new location each year. They now are in 3 different spot in the walls and under a concrete porch after I sprayed their old locations last fall. I had them at my house last spring but killed that whole swarm off, took 2 days but they have not been anymore... yet. I have 2 Live Oak trees here on my place that have hollow limbs/trunks that have hives in them also. Never ending battle with them in years like this.

#5785900 - 06/12/15 11:29 AM Re: Bees at lease and dilapidated blinds [Re: stxranchman]
Moondog Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Plano, Tx.
Wow. All you hear and read about is how the bees are disappearing everywhere. Doesn't look like you guys have any shortage.

#5785989 - 06/12/15 12:40 PM Re: Bees at lease and dilapidated blinds [Re: Creekrunner]
sallysue Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Belton Tx
I read where we lost 40% of our bees and 4 years after the bees are gone we're gone what it said

#5785997 - 06/12/15 12:51 PM Re: Bees at lease and dilapidated blinds [Re: Creekrunner]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
Walk past a ton of em whim checking cam's , think their out on parroll they still got their strips.. flag

i'm postaddic

#5785999 - 06/12/15 12:52 PM Re: Bees at lease and dilapidated blinds [Re: Creekrunner]
btp Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Houston
The bees will keep coming back if there is any residue of wax comb or honey. Pretty good chance you can get a bee keeper to come out and take them off your hands for free. Just search for what ever county you are in and beekeepers ex Harris County Bee Keepers. I keep bees but I live in Houston. If you happen to have a swarm local I'll come get em lol.

#5786288 - 06/12/15 04:49 PM Re: Bees at lease and dilapidated blinds [Re: Creekrunner]
Pitchfork Predator Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
Sounds like I would just give the old blinds to the bees and the owls.

Some jobs aren't worth taking on. Once they leave residue from the hive they will come back every year to that smell and start again. I know I've had them in the eve of my house.

I hated to get rid of them because I know how dependent we are on them for our survival. But, the if the wife's not happy.....you know the rest of the story.

Put out a Krivoman blind and you won't have to worry about bees and owls and can easily move it if you don't stay on the place. Good luck with your new lease. up

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#5786384 - 06/12/15 06:21 PM Re: Bees at lease and dilapidated blinds [Re: Creekrunner]
THF Trophy Hunter

Thanks Marc. The blinds, and feeders, weren't really all that bad. Just a few wasps, but no bees. Good enough for a first year trial anyway. Almost all the feeders we found actually worked.

The main house we will stay in had bees in the outside water heater closet. Just a sheet of plywood, cut 1/2" short, for a door. We've gotta eliminate them at this house.

The line shack in the middle of the pasture we're leasing has a more intense infestation. 'Thought we'd use it as a kinda of primitive camp to avoid the long drive, but, after my buddy asked me inside it "Do you hear buzzing?" and I saw them inside one of the rooms, and then he noticed them entering at a second spot out on the front porch, which means they might be completely in the crawl space above that room, we may be changing the name "line shack" to "bee house" and just let them have it.

#5787379 - 06/13/15 03:37 PM Re: Bees at lease and dilapidated blinds [Re: Creekrunner]
tex70 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Georgetown
I had them in my shed over the course of a couple years & finally took matters into my own hands.A little gasoline took out the entire hive

#5787890 - 06/13/15 10:00 PM Re: Bees at lease and dilapidated blinds [Re: tex70]
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: tex70
I had them in my shed over the course of a couple years & finally took matters into my own hands.A little gasoline took out the entire hive

Just sprayed, or sprayed and lit?

#5788087 - 06/14/15 07:09 AM Re: Bees at lease and dilapidated blinds [Re: Creekrunner]
tex70 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Georgetown
Just sprayed or actually to be more accurate poured.They were under an old storage chest.I waited til the weather cooled a bit & they weren't quite as active

#5790474 - 06/15/15 06:26 PM Re: Bees at lease and dilapidated blinds [Re: Creekrunner]
Poke81 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Granbury TX
Why not call a beekeeper out to just relocate them? I hate to sound like a tree hugger on the matter but Bee's should be relocated not killed. Wasp and other flying stingers of death should be dealt with swiftly though.

#5790549 - 06/15/15 07:01 PM Re: Bees at lease and dilapidated blinds [Re: Creekrunner]
5ANDABACK, Offline
Green Horn

Don't take this wrong guys, I am not an anti- I am a pro guide. It is not worth killing a deer over a corn pile if you have to destroy hives of bees. They are the most important species for human existence on the planet, and are in trouble. Save all you can.

#5790637 - 06/15/15 07:47 PM Re: Bees at lease and dilapidated blinds [Re: Creekrunner]
THF Trophy Hunter

I emailed beekeepers in the three closest towns, off a list posted here on THF. Only got a response from a man in El Paso. He said it was too far, but he'd look for somebody in the area. Never heard from him again. Called the extension agent's office in Sanderson to ask for help. Lady said they "don't have no agent now" and to call Pecos. Sweet girl in Pecos didn't know any beekeepers, but their agent said to call the exterminator in Sanderson. I called the exterminator in Sanderson and he said that beehives are going crazy all over the area. He also said that no one down there moves bees 'cause they're too scared of them being Africanized. I'm meeting him and he's gonna kill 'em. I've done all I can. We're paying too much money to primitive camp in order to "save the bees".

And as far as "killing a deer over a corn pile" goes, I'd think a little longer next time about how to phrase your next post. I've hunted with Professional Hunters. You don't sound like one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide