476115 Topics
6245766 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#5784002 - 06/11/15 08:09 AM To illuminate or not
wp75169 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Wills Point
How often if at all do you use illumination on your long range scopes. I'm not talking general hunting rifles here but if you have one that serves dual purpose feel free to comment. I notice most scopes in this class are illuminated with only a few non-illuminated. Is this something we're paying for that we don't use but have to buy to get the glass we want?

#5784019 - 06/11/15 08:18 AM Re: To illuminate or not [Re: wp75169]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Only when predator hunting at night. So depending on how much you do that will depend on if you "need" illumination.

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#5784029 - 06/11/15 08:23 AM Re: To illuminate or not [Re: wp75169]
603Country Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
A couple of times over the years I've had a possible shot at a big pig when it was just too darn dark to see the crosshairs. Very frustrating. When I finally decided to buy a new scope, I went with the Vortex Viper PST, which has illumination. The truth is that the illumination, even on the lowest setting, is more than I want or need. So, in my case it appears that I've paid for something that I won't be using. That said, I do really like the scope. No complaints about it.

#5784094 - 06/11/15 08:56 AM Re: To illuminate or not [Re: 603Country]
BigPig Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
Originally Posted By: 603Country
A couple of times over the years I've had a possible shot at a big pig when it was just too darn dark to see the crosshairs. Very frustrating. When I finally decided to buy a new scope, I went with the Vortex Viper PST, which has illumination. The truth is that the illumination, even on the lowest setting, is more than I want or need. So, in my case it appears that I've paid for something that I won't be using. That said, I do really like the scope. No complaints about it.

Why you shooting at me?

I have the same scope, but I find that the lowest and next to lowest settings are great for night hunting, ecspecially while using a green kill light. Makes it much easier to see the crosshairs on the target. I even use them when shooting paper targets at night. During the Hunter Rifle Challenge this year I used it on a few stages where the target was in the shade and I had a hard time locating my crosshairs.

WP... When I come to pick up my ammo from you I'll bring my VIPER PST and let you check it out.

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#5784106 - 06/11/15 09:03 AM Re: To illuminate or not [Re: wp75169]
wp75169 Offline
Extreme Tracker

That would be great. I am currently using an older viper PA which I hate. But I do realize it's a different scope.

#5784224 - 06/11/15 10:11 AM Re: To illuminate or not [Re: wp75169]
603Country Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
BigPig, sorry about the mistaken reference to trying to shoot you (though not YOU). Anyway, I hadn't thought about how the illum would work if I used one of my kill lights. I guess I should hook one up and see if that makes a difference. My issues with regular crosshairs were at dawn mostly, when the pigs were on my corn and there just wasn't enough light to see where the crosshairs were on a black hog. And in a couple of late dusk coyote hunts, I could see the coyote in the Leica binocs and I could see him very dimly in the scope, but no way could I see the crosshairs. Those instances, and others, were before I got a kill light. If I'd had the kill light though, I doubt I'd have needed the illumination. Oh, well...

And again on the PST FFP scope...I really do like it. I suppose I could spend a real fortune on a NF or a top of the line Leupold and get better versions of what I now have, but I just can't justify that in my mind. With the PST, I really do have all I need. And all I really need now is for deer season to open up again. I need to call my cousin on that. He knows, and always knows, exactly how many days it is till hunting season. Often he'll have it in days and hours. He's obsessed, and that's always good to have in a close relative if you need to know when the season opens.

#5785029 - 06/11/15 05:50 PM Re: To illuminate or not [Re: wp75169]
Gravytrain Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Rowlett, Tx
I like the leupold firedot reticles a lot.
It's very easy on your vision in low light, yet clear.

Edited by Gravytrain (06/11/15 05:51 PM)

#5785082 - 06/11/15 06:17 PM Re: To illuminate or not [Re: wp75169]
Brother in-law Online   content
THF Celebrity

Illumination is terrible for predator hunting and black reticles rule.

I want to new scope but am having a hard time picking one because of the illumination dilemma. The only reason I would have a slight need is for hog.

#5785321 - 06/11/15 08:59 PM Re: To illuminate or not [Re: Gravytrain]
wp75169 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: Gravytrain
I like the leupold firedot reticles a lot.
It's very easy on your vision in low light, yet clear.

I agree with this 100%. My hunting rifles wear VX-Rs and their lowest setting is great at night. They are also decent glass at that price point. My wife has got so comfortable with the tiny red dot she uses it In the daylight. I don't think she even uses the cross hairs anymore.

#5786869 - 06/13/15 07:29 AM Re: To illuminate or not [Re: 603Country]
dee Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Red River way
Originally Posted By: 603Country
BigPig, sorry about the mistaken reference to trying to shoot you (though not YOU). Anyway, I hadn't thought about how the illum would work if I used one of my kill lights. I guess I should hook one up and see if that makes a difference. My issues with regular crosshairs were at dawn mostly, when the pigs were on my corn and there just wasn't enough light to see where the crosshairs were on a black hog. And in a couple of late dusk coyote hunts, I could see the coyote in the Leica binocs and I could see him very dimly in the scope, but no way could I see the crosshairs. Those instances, and others, were before I got a kill light. If I'd had the kill light though, I doubt I'd have needed the illumination. Oh, well...

And again on the PST FFP scope...I really do like it. I suppose I could spend a real fortune on a NF or a top of the line Leupold and get better versions of what I now have, but I just can't justify that in my mind. With the PST, I really do have all I need. And all I really need now is for deer season to open up again. I need to call my cousin on that. He knows, and always knows, exactly how many days it is till hunting season. Often he'll have it in days and hours. He's obsessed, and that's always good to have in a close relative if you need to know when the season opens.

NF illumination sucks unless you get one of the new digi illumination scopes. That being said their glass is good enough I've never needed to use it anyway.

#5786976 - 06/13/15 08:47 AM Re: To illuminate or not [Re: wp75169]
Crews Offline
Tracker

Loc: Longview, Tx
for general hunting purposes, I've always found an illuminated reticle very useful. There is some illumination that works, and some that doesn't though... It's next to useless if it's too bright on the lowest setting. I've had the very best of luck with the Trijicon accupoint system.

#5787124 - 06/13/15 11:20 AM Re: To illuminate or not [Re: wp75169]
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: NE/CO/KS/MO/OK
One of my Ultimate Slam scopes from Leupold has the fire dot (Muzzle loader scope). I have tried it out during low light situations (last 10 minutes of legal) and it does work great. As your eyesight starts to go, the lighted dot really helps to "aim small, miss small".

#5787308 - 06/13/15 02:20 PM Re: To illuminate or not [Re: wp75169]
TexFlip Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Harris County
On my 1-4x with a red chevron in the middle of the crosshair I use it almost always. On my Nightforce it illuminates the entire reticle and is so bright that I can barely see what's beyond it unless I am hunting at night with a light.

#5788107 - 06/14/15 07:36 AM Re: To illuminate or not [Re: wp75169]
300_WizzM Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Grand Saline, TX
I have several illuminated reticles. They work best if using a kill light. If your not going to be using a kill light the ones that only illuminate a small dot or X in the middle work best not the whole reticle. Also green illumination helps with the image washout as it is a softer color than red.

#5798853 - 06/21/15 11:04 AM Re: To illuminate or not [Re: wp75169]
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker

ill never go without illuminated ever again, went with one many years ago. mines a mueller and a vortex, both only illuminate the dot, the lowest setting is very very dim, with a 1 through 10 setting i run about setting 3 in the pitch black and about 5 or 6 in low light.

killed tons of critters at night, if you plan on night hunting its a must.

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide