Forum Stats
60482 Members
45 Forums
476319 Topics
6248296 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5780433 - 06/09/15 09:01 AM Exotic Pricing rational?
EddieWalker Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Tyler, TX
I've only hunted a few exotics hear in Texas, but plan on getting quite a bit more in time. I've always based my decision on who I hunt with on the price and what I get for that price. I keep notes on who has the best prices and what the trophy quality is like on those hunts. Before booking a hunt, I research for negative comments, bad experiences and also for all the good information I can find on that outfitter.

What I'm wondering is how do some outfitters come up with their prices? and does pricing even matter to those hunting with those who are way above the curve on their prices? Seems the only difference between a $1,800 twenty inch blackbuck and a $2,500 twenty inch blackbuck is either how fancy the place you stay at is, or something special about the outfitter? Otherwise, it's pretty much the exact same animal. What am I missing?

Eddie

#5780445 - 06/09/15 09:04 AM Re: Exotic Pricing rational? [Re: EddieWalker]
Big Hunter Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Concho,Texas
Missing $700.bucks if you take the $2500.00 hunt...........

Edited by Big Hunter (06/09/15 09:05 AM)

#5780466 - 06/09/15 09:12 AM Re: Exotic Pricing rational? [Re: EddieWalker]
TexFlip Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Harris County
Depends if you want to stay at a resort with a wine cellar and executive chef of a six pack and campfire. I'll take the latter.

Edited by TexFlip (06/09/15 09:13 AM)

#5780484 - 06/09/15 09:23 AM Re: Exotic Pricing rational? [Re: EddieWalker]
el_cazador713 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Texas
I've always asked the same question myself. To me I care more about the quality of game and the guide. The accommodations can be nice but I'll take a six pack by the fire all day with a great guide going after quality animals.

#5780498 - 06/09/15 09:28 AM Re: Exotic Pricing rational? [Re: EddieWalker]
Elkhunter49 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Oak Harbor, Slidell La
I can't speak for anyone else but for me it's not just about price. I can get a nice room and a meal anywhere so all I really require is something clean and cool or warm. I actually prefer to feed myself. If I call about a hunt and the outfitter is vague with his answers then I'm not likely to hunt with him. I want specific answers to my very specific questions. The price for me is relative to the quality of the animal. You need to have a clear list of expectations that your looking for when you call an outfitter so there are no surprises. If an outfitter has some really exceptional trophy's then I expect to pay more but if the game he's offering is average or slightly above then I'm not intrested in paying above average prices for what they have.
I'll give you an example of what I mean. An outfitter called me last year and said he had some legit 36"-38" Axis bucks to hunt. The price was at the top of the scale and I agreed thinking it was going to be a true trophy hunt. Turns out the outfitter did have 2 different bucks that were 36"+ but both were about as big around as my little finger. I think the problem here is that I didn't ask specific enough questions. Live and learn. Baker

Edited by Elkhunter49 (06/09/15 12:28 PM)

#5780544 - 06/09/15 09:54 AM Re: Exotic Pricing rational? [Re: Elkhunter49]
el_cazador713 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Texas
Couldn't agree with your more, upfront clear expectations is key.

#5780687 - 06/09/15 11:20 AM Re: Exotic Pricing rational? [Re: el_cazador713]
Hankg Offline
Light Foot

One of the things I am trying to understand is the charge for non hunting guests. I would like to bring my wife along on a hunt but I am blown away by the fees some want for her there. If they are feeding her too I totally understand charging a couple hundred a day extra for her but $500? Some places I have looked at just have a cabin supplied and I would supply my own meals and they still want $200 to $250 extra a day for her? I understand if her being there would prevent them from being able to have another paying client but in most of these situations it wouldn't.

#5780775 - 06/09/15 12:14 PM Re: Exotic Pricing rational? [Re: EddieWalker]
Erny Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Smith County
I tend to focus more on the hunt and less on the lodging/food. Most of the times I think the price difference is the quality of food and lodging. Also some of the ranches that are expensive are quite impressive and more like a 5 star resort than a hunting ranch. I tend to book based on the quality of animals rather than lodging. However, if my wife is going, well it's the resort style place.

#5780890 - 06/09/15 01:14 PM Re: Exotic Pricing rational? [Re: EddieWalker]
hermano W Offline
Tracker

Loc: Austin County
Having to put up with PEOPLE on your cherished property raises the price of a hunt. Livestock prices are high and so are live exotic prices, and that raises the price of a hunt. Bed and breakfast, and restaurant prices are high, so that raises the price of a hunt. Feeding and upkeep is a year around expense that always goes up, and that raises the price of a hunt. It is only reasonable that the rancher wants to "sell" the hunt and service for a good price. If people pay his price, it must have been fair. If his price is too high, people have the right to take their business elsewhere and will, simple as that.

Edited by hermano W (06/09/15 01:14 PM)

#5780894 - 06/09/15 01:16 PM Re: Exotic Pricing rational? [Re: EddieWalker]
TexFlip Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Harris County
I should start doing day hunts at our place, cover the cost of feed for the year in a couple hunts.

#5780915 - 06/09/15 01:27 PM Re: Exotic Pricing rational? [Re: EddieWalker]
don k Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bandera, Tx
I may be wrong but I imagine a lot of difference in pricing has to do with how much the outfitter has invested in both the animals and facilities. A really good hotel probably has a 75% occupancy rate. An outfitter or hunting ranch is not going to have near that. But those facilities are still costing them when no one is there. Good animals cost good money. Very few hunting establishments cannot afford the luxury of raising their own animals and waiting the time necessary to get them to trophy status. A hunting ranch cannot pay $1500 for say a good BB and sell him for $1750 and stay in business very long. The best way to get a reasonable hunt is to go with one of the different outfitters that hunt various ranches and do not actually own any of those animals. When an animal is taken the outfitter gets paid and he pays the landowner. An you stay at a motel 6 and eat at mickey d's.

#5780954 - 06/09/15 01:47 PM Re: Exotic Pricing rational? [Re: EddieWalker]
nsmike Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: MN
There are basically three types of ranches, naturally reproducing, breed and release, and put and take. Some of the naturally reproducing and breed and release ranches are intensively managed increasing costs. As the level of management decreases trophy quality is hit or miss, but because the input costs are less, they can cost less. If you want to hunt on a highly managed ranch, with the expectation of high trophy quality, expect to pay for it, top notch accommodations just add to the cost. The biggest heartburn is when one tier hunt is misrepresented as a higher tier hunt.

#5781259 - 06/09/15 04:35 PM Re: Exotic Pricing rational? [Re: Elkhunter49]
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training

Loc: Katy, TX
Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49
I can't speak for anyone else but for me it's not just about price. I can get a nice room and a meal anywhere so all I really require is something clean and cool or warm. I actually prefer to feed myself. If I call about a hunt and the outfitter is vague with his answers then I'm not likely to hunt with him. I want specific answers to my very specific questions. The price for me is relative to the quality of the animal. You need to have a clear list of expectations that your looking for when you call an outfitter so there are no surprises. If an outfitter has some really exceptional trophy's then I expect to pay more but if the game he's offering is average or slightly above then I'm not intrested in paying above average prices for what they have.
I'll give you an example of what I mean. An outfitter called me last year and said he had some legit 36"-38" Axis bucks to hunt. The price was at the top of the scale and I agreed thinking it was going to be a true trophy hunt. Turns out the outfitter did have 2 different bucks that were 36"+ but both were about as big around as my little finger. I think the problem here is that I didn't ask specific enough questions. Live and learn. Baker
X2

#5781272 - 06/09/15 04:44 PM Re: Exotic Pricing rational? [Re: nsmike]
ram hunter 1964 Offline
Bird Dog

You all hit the nail right on the head.

#5781773 - 06/09/15 09:17 PM Re: Exotic Pricing rational? [Re: don k]
rbw1 Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: don k
I may be wrong but I imagine a lot of difference in pricing has to do with how much the outfitter has invested in both the animals and facilities. A really good hotel probably has a 75% occupancy rate. An outfitter or hunting ranch is not going to have near that. But those facilities are still costing them when no one is there. Good animals cost good money. Very few hunting establishments cannot afford the luxury of raising their own animals and waiting the time necessary to get them to trophy status. A hunting ranch cannot pay $1500 for say a good BB and sell him for $1750 and stay in business very long. The best way to get a reasonable hunt is to go with one of the different outfitters that hunt various ranches and do not actually own any of those animals. When an animal is taken the outfitter gets paid and he pays the landowner. An you stay at a motel 6 and eat at mickey d's.

U hit it on the head Don.

U hit it on the head Don .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide