Toughest Decision I have made #5779541 06/08/15 10:06 PM
B
BuffaloSpringsRD Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Gentlemen,

I found out in early March that I am going to be a first time father, and found out last week it is going to be a little girl. Words can not describe the amount of joy my heart is filled with.

This is where the short story gets difficult. Just a few weeks before finding out we were pregnant I got a AKC Yellow/Red Lab. She is a great dog and would have been a great hunting buddy. However with the news of the baby I do not have the financial ability to send her to get trained, or the time to train her myself and do it properly. She is house broken, crate trained, sit, stay, and I taught her shake for my better half. She is 6 months old in 2 days has her shots up until 6 months and I have her papers to be filled out. It is tough for me to do but it will be best for the dog and me at this time.

At this time I am looking to sell her, knowing it isnt an easy task with her being 6 months old. I bought her for $750 from Jett Park Labradors in Red Oak Texas.

I am asking for $500 for her and all of her things: Kennel, bed, whatever food I have left (3/4 of a 50LB Blue Puppy) as well as the Teal throw dummy I have.

Thank you for reading and please do not hesitate to call, text or email the contact information below if you have any questions or need further information.

David McMinimy
mcminimyd@gmail.com

Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: BuffaloSpringsRD] #5779694 06/08/15 11:37 PM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Good looking pup. She will sell soon.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: BuffaloSpringsRD] #5780300 06/09/15 12:55 PM
B
birddown Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
PM sent

Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: BuffaloSpringsRD] #5780341 06/09/15 01:24 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
That had to be a really tough decision, but a very smart one. Until you can dedicate the time to train or pay to have someone train your dog, I feel it's best to wait. She sure is a cutey and I'm sure will find a good home. Congratulations to you and your wife!

Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: BuffaloSpringsRD] #5780470 06/09/15 02:15 PM
B
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Birddown,

I do not have a PM in my inbox. Feel free to email or call me.

David

Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: BuffaloSpringsRD] #5780625 06/09/15 03:39 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I think you are overreacting saying you don't have time to train her. If you want to do it you could. If you need the money then that's another story. I've got two kids and yes having a little baby is life changing and demanding but it doesn't mean your life comes to a total halt...you can still make time for other things. Like I said there....you have MAKE time. Congrats and good luck.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: Marcstar] #5780650 06/09/15 03:54 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Marcstar
I think you are overreacting saying you don't have time to train her. If you want to do it you could. If you need the money then that's another story. I've got two kids and yes having a little baby is life changing and demanding but it doesn't mean your life comes to a total halt...you can still make time for other things. Like I said there....you have MAKE time. Congrats and good luck.

How many hunting dogs have you trained?

Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: BuffaloSpringsRD] #5780663 06/09/15 04:01 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
"I think you are overreacting saying you don't have time to train her. If you want to do it you could. If you need the money then that's another story. I've got two kids and yes having a little baby is life changing and demanding but it doesn't mean your life comes to a total halt...you can still make time for other things. Like I said there....you have MAKE time. Congrats and good luck."

I agree. I have 4 kids. Youngest is now 18. The first couple years of life a baby/toddler is cheap. They eat and sleep alot early on. Momma has the reins for the most part.....unless you can figure out how to breast feed! They start getting expensive around middle school/ high school. Mom has most influence early in life. Dad's influence kicks in real good around 3-4 years old.

Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: BuffaloSpringsRD] #5780670 06/09/15 04:07 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Keep the dog. The baby will love the dog, the dog will be the baby's best friend.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: Gdogg] #5780693 06/09/15 04:23 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Gdogg

How many hunting dogs have you trained?

First off I'm not trying to be a dick with my comment...I've seen way too many guys freak out before they have kids and pretty much disappear...quit organizations they are involved with etc....they show back up later and only then they understand. But Gary, you know the answer to that jerky...but I think the point is I have two kids...I understand what kind of commitment raising kids involves but I also understand that the world does not stop when the baby comes. I'm a big believe in being a master of our own time. It's amazing how busy people say they always are but in reality people have more free time for leisure than people have every had in history. It doesn't mean you can still do everything it just means you have to budget your time, prioritize, and make cuts where needed.

Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: Marcstar] #5780713 06/09/15 04:33 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Jerky? Because I call you out punk azz.

You know absolutely nothing about what is involved in training a sound hunting dog. How much time do you think is involved in properly training a dog? No clue.

Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: BuffaloSpringsRD] #5780760 06/09/15 05:05 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I'm sure whatever answer I provide will be wrong in your eyes Gary. Not sure why my comment got you so fired up. I'm actually trying to be helpful...let the guy keep his dog and have a family at the same time...is that wrong??
But I'll play...aside from the normal pet care things you would do with a dog (feeding, walks, bathing, cleaning up after, etc) I would think if you actually put in a solid 30 mins to an hour a day with a puppy on actual training you'd be in good shape and I bet that's probably more than a lot of guys actually do. I mean are we talking a hunting dog or taking them to events...there's a difference.

Now please provide me with the Gary expert training guide.

Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: BuffaloSpringsRD] #5780839 06/09/15 05:47 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
popcorn

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: BuffaloSpringsRD] #5780862 06/09/15 06:02 PM
H
Harrier Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Maybe you guys should argue less about what it takes to be a good dog trainer, and more about what it takes to be a good father. Just sayin'.

Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: Gdogg] #5780892 06/09/15 06:14 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Gdogg
Jerky? Because I call you out punk azz.

You know absolutely nothing about what is involved in training a sound hunting dog. How much time do you think is involved in properly training a dog? No clue.

Not meaning to get in the middle of y'alls argument but I trained my dog completely by myself and probably spent an average of 20 minutes a day or a little over 2 hours a week for the first 6 months of his life and then after that probably went down to an hour a week, 20 minutes 3 times a week. He got his senior hunter in 5/6 tests and passed his first master I put him in with no problem. So it really is not that much time in my opinion but to some people that may be too much.

To the OP, good luck on finding a good home for the pup!

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: Marcstar] #5780950 06/09/15 06:45 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'm sure whatever answer I provide will be wrong in your eyes Gary. Not sure why my comment got you so fired up. I'm actually trying to be helpful...let the guy keep his dog and have a family at the same time...is that wrong??
But I'll play...aside from the normal pet care things you would do with a dog (feeding, walks, bathing, cleaning up after, etc) I would think if you actually put in a solid 30 mins to an hour a day with a puppy on actual training you'd be in good shape and I bet that's probably more than a lot of guys actually do. I mean are we talking a hunting dog or taking them to events...there's a difference.

Now please provide me with the Gary expert training guide.

marsbar, maybe its the "normal pet care" things that are adding up as far as time involved. i mean the OP could keep the hound, put him in a kennel and take him out 20 minutes a day to do the gun dog training, then back in the kennel. Only talking about the training is not looking at the big picture on this dog deal, your not seeing the forest for the trees if you will.

you have to include all the dog time into this equation to get an accurate feel for time invested. A mutt from the pound can be thrown in the backyard and messed with a few times and be decent as a family pet, but you cant do that with a high strung gun dog. If you leave a lab in the backyard without exercise they will find a way to burn steam off, and normally in ways you would prefer them not to burn steam. Working them for 20 minutes is not burning steam, not even touching the tip of burning steam.

Originally Posted By: Harrier
Maybe you guys should argue less about what it takes to be a good dog trainer, and more about what it takes to be a good father. Just sayin'.

not sure what this comment is about, but its dumb I do know that, the thread is about keeping or getting rid of a dog

John Paul, you have servants to help with your dogs, apples and oranges

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: BuffaloSpringsRD] #5781065 06/09/15 07:42 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Well yeah Garrett...I have a dog that we got before we have kids. My damn dog is so high strung she only will crap when she goes on walks so that's pretty much every day. The dog is now 12 and we got her when she was a puppy...my kids are 5 and 7. So yeah I had the care of the dog part down in addition to kids, in addition to the rest of my life and stuff I liked to do.

And yeah Harrier...what the hell are you talking about man...Gary and Garrett are great dads...obviously that was not even directed at me. I have been told multiple times that in fact I'm the best daddy in the whole world by both kids....if it was just one I'd think yeah maybe she is lying but both of them said it so it must be true.

Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: BuffaloSpringsRD] #5781191 06/09/15 08:59 PM
C
Chunky Dunk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I suspect the OP might becoming a parent for the first time, and so the whole idea of raising and caring for a baby is overwhelming. And he should do what he thinks is best. I mean after all he knows what his time constraints are in his life already with job, family, social activities, now training a retriever has added to his allotted time, and now additionally he has a baby on the way. He knows what is best for his situation.

I also see marcstars point that he is making, and I have to say I agree with him. I am not a professional dog trainer, but I have trained a few hunting dogs of my own, and had some trained professionally. I spent about 20 mins a day training, but that doesn't count the evening walk, and daily play time with the dogs either. I had enough time in my day to do that with young kids, but not everyone does.

Just my $.o2 worth.

Great looking dog, wish I had room for another.

Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: BuffaloSpringsRD] #5781225 06/09/15 09:14 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
It's an awesome looking dog and I can see the OP is really torn here. He does need to do what's best but sometimes we don't know what we can do until we challenge ourselves. I'd just hate for him to sell off this dog and regret it later on.

Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: Marcstar] #5781241 06/09/15 09:23 PM
C
Chunky Dunk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
It's an awesome looking dog and I can see the OP is really torn here. He does need to do what's best but sometimes we don't know what we can do until we challenge ourselves. I'd just hate for him to sell off this dog and regret it later on.

Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking.

Re: Toughest Decision I have made [Re: BuffaloSpringsRD] #5781801 06/10/15 02:26 AM
B
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
I wanted to do this one right. I do not know where we will be living in the next few months after my better half graduates college in August. I travel quite a bit for work and have a 2 hour commute each way daily. I just don't feel right not giving the dog the attention she deserves. Plus with my first child coming in Nov I do not know how much free time I am going to have.

As much as it stinks I have to put what's best for the dog as well as my family before my selfish desires. She is a fantastic dog. I'm going to miss her but I hope she can make someone a really great hunting companion.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide