Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,927
Posts9,730,774
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Scope mounting & other scew in thread related questions #5774255 06/04/15 08:12 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Finally got all the new scopes, rings & bases in house sans a Weaver 1" 40mm TipOff Ringmount for the new to me, never fired looking, Marlin 781 22lr that was back ordered again...and cannot find anywhere in the Sherman/Denison/Grayson County area a tube of LokTite brand Blue Thread Locker that is supposed to be the "Only thing to use" from all the copmments I've gotten on multiple Forums. Hmmm...Really???

Even the weather is cooperating with the Lake dropping almost a foot a day...just got 'nuther 30'+ in distance & 2 1/2'deep of water to get the driveway out from underwater, but we are parking the cars only 1/2 a block away as of yesterday...and the nice lady on the phone sez Fossil Pointe Range is open and calling my name.

So, WalMart has LT Blue Formula 234? in the paint section for 1/4-3/8's bolts/screws/nuts, AutoZone has LT & PermaTex Blue for valve covers etc ....& some PTex Spark Plug anti seize lubricant that sounds like it'd work super for shotgun choke Tubes since none of the SG outlets in Grayson County had any shotgun choke tube lube anywhere when I looked for it last fall...or mebbe not ??? might take all the blueing off the Benelli w'ld be my luck these days, BiLo the local home owned auto parts discount store has more Permatex products than I ever knew were made but NO LT brand Blue for scope sized screws. Dinnit see any LT Blue stuff earlier in the Academy scope ring section couple weeks ago when I started this odyssey, and I might have to finally try Gander Mtn as the usual last resort...or drive too far to Cabelas in Allen to look at their usually empty pegs, like the last time I was in the store in April...just not handy enough for everday dropins to check stock levels on what I consider to be basic maintenance goods in shooter supply items from Preston Peninsula at Lake Texoma.

Ya'll think any of the Automotive/Hardware store grade LT/Permatex Blue Thread Locker stuff would work without me having to go back to my bad habits of GoRilla Tight is not enough for scope sized ring & base mounting screws??? Gotta try out the new Beam Style Torque Wrench, but I'm trying to be a Boy Scout and not strip screw heads/scratch/dent up any of the 5 new & preowned scopes that I need to mount doing it.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 06/04/15 08:30 PM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Scope mounting & other scew in thread related questions [Re: WileyCoyote] #5774355 06/04/15 09:23 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
For Pete's sake Ron!
Are you abbreviating Locktite by calling it "LT"? (then going off on three tangents making extra words)

If you found liquid Locktite blue (low hold) at WalMart, with a little dropper tip, that is what you need. The bottle I'm fixin to have to replace is not specific of any size fastener.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Scope mounting & other scew in thread related questions [Re: WileyCoyote] #5774414 06/04/15 10:04 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Too much caffeine.

Re: Scope mounting & other scew in thread related questions [Re: WileyCoyote] #5774423 06/04/15 10:10 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Nope that's not what I found at WalMart in Denison...all I found most places was something called "Medium Strength Threadlocker " or something like that....and the ones in Locktite brand that said could be used on specific sizes of bolts/screws/nuts were illustrated on the label with the size of a bolt & nut.

The BiLo local auto parts store, had some off brand or non PTex stuff with a dropper tip, that said "NORMAL HandTools is all thats needed to remove the treated part" in the instructions.

Never saw any reference on any brand threadlocker product to "Low Hold" in any of the 4 stores I shopped yesterday. The gunshop guy in Denison sez he uses his wife's clear fingernail polish as a scope ring thread locker...and certainly sounding easier to find.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Scope mounting & other scew in thread related questions [Re: WileyCoyote] #5774810 06/05/15 02:50 AM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This is what you want. I'll see if I have any around here. I've got some red and green but if you used the green you'd have to drill the screws out if you ever wanted to remove the scope.

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: Scope mounting & other scew in thread related questions [Re: WileyCoyote] #5774879 06/05/15 03:53 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Mike, hang tight a day or so, we are going into town manana and I can check out Academy or Gander & the BigBox hardware stores, or the Machine Screw guy in Denison over by the RR Track, couple blocks north of Main.

I think Brandon does not want to drill out any more of my scope mount screws, after wrestling with the NIB T3's receiver slugs so I could install the new Talley 30mm's. He got it done OK, but with his shop only being open very limited hours he's not gonna make much on my scope screw jobs.

Thanks for the picture, so I can be sure of what I'm looking for.
Ron

Re: Scope mounting & other scew in thread related questions [Re: WileyCoyote] #5774881 06/05/15 03:54 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Mike, hang tight a day or so, we are going into town manana and I can check out Academy or Gander & the BigBox hardware stores, or the Machine Screw guy in Denison over by the RR Track, couple blocks north of Main.

I think Brandon does not want to drill out any more of my scope mount screws, after wrestling with the NIB T3's receiver slugs so I could install the new Talley 30mm's. He got it done OK, but with his shop only being open very limited hours he's not gonna make much on my scope screw jobs.

Thanks for the picture, so I can be sure of what I'm looking for.
Ron

Re: Scope mounting & other scew in thread related questions [Re: MikeC] #5775195 06/05/15 02:48 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: MikeC
This is what you want. I'll see if I have any around here. I've got some red and green but if you used the green you'd have to drill the screws out if you ever wanted to remove the scope.

The 'pink' one must be new. I used the recommended 'blue', the 242, that is now labeled medium strength? Still comes apart if I need it to so I'll continue to use that.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Scope mounting & other scew in thread related questions [Re: WileyCoyote] #5775867 06/05/15 11:54 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Ron,
Home Depot in Sherman shows to have 29 tubes in stock, $6.47/tube.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Scope mounting & other scew in thread related questions [Re: WileyCoyote] #5775987 06/06/15 02:03 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Thank you sir...that sounds like a winner since we didn't get into Sherman as planned today. Look for a PM since you've got lots more insight locally that I need to explore and get some opinions on, it looks like.
Ron

Re: Scope mounting & other scew in thread related questions [Re: WileyCoyote] #5777172 06/07/15 03:02 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Well just slap me silly, who'd thought...Gander Mtn had some UncleMike's blue thread locker on sale @ $5, and Birchwood Case choke tube lube...life is good in small spurts sometimes if you look hard enough.
Ron

Re: Scope mounting & other scew in thread related questions [Re: WileyCoyote] #5777372 06/07/15 01:27 PM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Glad you found it but sure seems like it'd be easier, less gas, etc. to just get it online... Lube from Brileys and LT from Midway or anywhere else.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Scope mounting & other scew in thread related questions [Re: WileyCoyote] #5777572 06/07/15 04:52 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I was already out and about, looking for a consumer grade steel hinged knee brace, like the Dr the day before told me to find or use my Pro Football grade rubber ducky from the other knee's roto rooter fixup after a nasty car wreck long time ago - a Honda Civic bent the frame 3"s , crushed the A Frame & Mount, and the 4x4 front wheel transaxle on a year old 2001 Z-71 kinda wreck....and totalled the Honda.

Been nursing a "sprained" knee on the other leg couple days or so, and the Better Half finally coerced me into the local Corner Emrgy Dr's Office for some X-Rays, happy pills and answers...and got diagnosed with a potential MCL problem that is going to get a 2nd look and MRI from an Ortho guy if it doesn't clear up in 7-10 days....and found a sizeable bone chip floating around too nobody'd mentioned previously, that is not the cause of the current pain problem.
Ron

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide