Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott #5765626 05/30/15 01:53 AM
hetman Offline OP
"Trash Master"
OP Offline
"Trash Master"
A signature from Gov. Greg Abbott is all that remains before a bill allowing Texans to carry their handguns openly becomes law.

After a week of hand-wringing over a controversial amendment — and what proved to be empty threats of a Democratic filibuster — the legislation sailed through both chambers of the Legislature on Friday afternoon. The vote in the House was 102 to 43; in the Senate, 20 to 11.

House Bill 910 from state Rep. Larry Phillips, R-Sherman, would allow license-holders to carry handguns openly in a hip or shoulder holster, changing current law requiring that such weapons be concealed.

The bill's passage was temporarily delayed last Friday when the Senate unexpectedly revived a provision that would limit the power of police officers to ask those carrying handguns visibly for a permit.

The so-called "cop stop" amendment had support from some Democrats who said it would help prevent racial profiling, as well as conservatives who said it was necessary to protect the public against unreasonable searches and seizures. But it stirred vocal criticism from the state's law enforcement officials, many of whom already opposed the legislation.

State Sen. Rodney Ellis, a Houston Democrat who supported the "cop stop" amendment but opposed the legislation as a whole, told the chamber shortly before Friday's vote that he wished law enforcement had used its "collective strength" to oppose the entire bill, rather than aligning at the last minute to fight an amendment.

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick released the following statement Friday, commending the senate's decision:

"Protecting our Second Amendment Right has always been a priority of the Senate. This week, I'm proud to announce the Senate passed the 'open carry' bill and it is now headed to Governor Abbott's desk for his signature.

"This bill will allow for anyone with a license to carry a handgun openly, in Texas.

"I want to thank the senators for their bi-partisan work on making sure our Second Amendment Rights are never infringed upon. Congratulations to the senators for making Texans' priorities their own."

Since shortly after he was elected in November, Abbott, a Republican, has said he would sign any open carry bill that reached his desk.

Just minutes after the final vote in the Senate, he tweeted: "Open Carry just passed in both the Texas House & Senate. Next destination: My Pen."

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman] #5765790 05/30/15 03:37 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
up

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman] #5765794 05/30/15 03:41 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Great, but why would you carry openly? I mean, I can see if you were on your ranch and had to run into town. Other than that?

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman] #5765807 05/30/15 03:53 AM
hetman Offline OP
"Trash Master"
OP Offline
"Trash Master"
means a tight or very light shirt pulled over the CCW - it will not matter if it imprints or accidently shows anymore. It will be interesting how it plays out in public. Maybe in a year or 2 it will be no big deal, & Texas Peeps will be a tad more polite in there dealings with people.

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman] #5765815 05/30/15 04:02 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Thank goodness it finally passed. Kory and I were beginning to have back problems from carrying our AK-47's around all the time.

Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman] #5765849 05/30/15 04:32 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
The thing is, that amendment wasn't needed in the first place. What they wanted to put in there is already the law. All it was going to do repeat it.

Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman] #5765850 05/30/15 04:33 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: hetman
means a tight or very light shirt pulled over the CCW - it will not matter if it imprints or accidently shows anymore. It will be interesting how it plays out in public. Maybe in a year or 2 it will be no big deal, & Texas Peeps will be a tad more polite in there dealings with people.

I thought there was already a law about printing.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: aeb] #5765857 05/30/15 04:43 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted By: aeb
Thank goodness it finally passed. Kory and I were beginning to have back problems from carrying our AK-47's around all the time.
SATIRE I HOPE!

Big Beckett!!
Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman] #5765881 05/30/15 05:31 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
When can people open carry?

Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman] #5765899 05/30/15 06:31 AM
S
Scoutdog Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone
The thing is, that amendment wasn't needed in the first place. What they wanted to put in there is already the law. All it was going to do repeat it.
Agreed. It would have been interesting to see how this police drama would have played out if the amendment was worded something like this:

Sec. 411.2049. CERTAIN INVESTIGATORY STOPS AND INQUIRIES PROHIBITED. A peace officer may not make an investigatory stop or other temporary detention, as covered by the Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution, to inquire as to a person's possession of a handgun license solely because the person is carrying in a shoulder or belt holster a partially or wholly visible handgun

Perhaps some of the “state’s law enforcement officials” who opposed the amendment need to bone up on the Constitution before making up their own rules.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #5765902 05/30/15 07:12 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted By: hetman

I thought there was already a law about printing.

There has been since forever. They actually clarified it last session for the reading impaired. Apparently there's some who just aren't able to be reached.

Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #5765933 05/30/15 11:17 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Great, but why would you carry openly? I mean, I can see if you were on your ranch and had to run into town. Other than that?

A lot easier when riding a motorcycle.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman] #5765963 05/30/15 11:55 AM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It's about time!

🍻
Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: Ramsey] #5766173 05/30/15 03:03 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: Ramsey
Originally Posted By: aeb
SATIRE I HOPE!

Kory is a lot younger than I am. That darned AK was wearing this old man down. Plus it never hung right on my walker.

Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: Superduty] #5766177 05/30/15 03:04 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: Superduty

Lot easier when I use my walker also.

Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman] #5766220 05/30/15 03:33 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'm gonna need a good shoulder holster.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: Superduty] #5766487 05/30/15 07:49 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

OK, that makes sense.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman] #5766585 05/30/15 09:36 PM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
If I remember correctly, & this was some years back, when I took my CHL class they taught that "concealed" really meant concealed. Depending on the location & circumstance, as soon as you exposed your gun, even accidentally, you have broken the law. Even in a self-defense, life or dead situation, as soon as you became un-concealed you have broken the law & would be charged for it. Of course, in the justified self-defense situation that charge would be dropped. I always felt uncomfortable carrying because I feel like my gun could easily become unconcealed. Open carry eases that fear. Now open carry does not mean the same thing as brandishing, definitely different, definitely a crime & big mistake.

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: pertnear] #5767966 06/01/15 12:53 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted By: pertnear
If I remember correctly, & this was some years back, when I took my CHL class they taught that "concealed" really meant concealed. Depending on the location & circumstance, as soon as you exposed your gun, even accidentally, you have broken the law. Even in a self-defense, life or dead situation, as soon as you became un-concealed you have broken the law & would be charged for it. Of course, in the justified self-defense situation that charge would be dropped. I always felt uncomfortable carrying because I feel like my gun could easily become unconcealed. Open carry eases that fear. Now open carry does not mean the same thing as brandishing, definitely different, definitely a crime & big mistake.

Before open carry goes in to effect, Jan 2016 if Abbot signs the bill, the concealed law has been changed. It is the unintentional display of the firearm. So in other words if you bend over and pick something up and you gun shows,currently you are ok. This was passed last year I believe.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman] #5768442 06/01/15 02:14 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
The Campus Carry Bill passed yesterday as well and off to the Gov's desk.

Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: Superduty] #5768455 06/01/15 02:20 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

Before open carry goes in to effect, Jan 2016 if Abbot signs the bill, the concealed law has been changed. It is the unintentional display of the firearm. So in other words if you bend over and pick something up and you gun shows,currently you are ok. This was passed last year I believe.

It's never been against the law to unintentionally display. Could you two have not had time to read the posts right above yours? The only thing that happened last time was a reiteration of the law for those bumpkins not well versed in the English language.

Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: tenyearsgone] #5768549 06/01/15 03:30 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

It's never been against the law to unintentionally display. Could you two have not had time to read the posts right above yours? The only thing that happened last time was a reiteration of the law for those bumpkins not well versed in the English language.

Prior to 09-01-13, unintentional display could be prosecuted, depending on the circumstances. The legislature changed the language of the statute from "fail to conceal" to "intentionally display" in 2013 to prevent people being charged for unintentional display/printing.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman] #5768696 06/01/15 04:38 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
It's never been against the law. No changes were made. Anyone being charged shouldn't have been. Like I said multiple times, there were no changes, just splitting hairs for the more dense among us.

Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: tenyearsgone] #5768758 06/01/15 05:22 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It's never been against the law. No changes were made. Anyone being charged shouldn't have been. Like I said multiple times, there were no changes, just splitting hairs for the more dense among us.

There were absolutely changes made, as I stated in my post. I teach the legislative update class required for LE every two years, and it was one of the changes highlighted in the 2013 class. I can assure you I'm far from dense.

Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman] #5768779 06/01/15 05:32 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
In case you still have doubts, here is the exact wording from the present penal code along with the exact text from the Powerpoint slide provided to instructors by the state.

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide