6246677 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5765959 - 05/30/15 06:53 AM This rain is not all a blessing
don k Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bandera, Tx
I am having parasite problems with my Ibex I have never had before. Have lost 3 kids in the last month and more are sick. Too small and young to dart and too wild to catch easily. They are getting a stomach worm that ivomec and safeguard will not kill. Fixed up a new way to try to catch them but it is raining again this morning. Wonder how this excessive wet and all the vegetation is going to affect the WT. Have already seem some older does that looked wormy.

#5765980 - 05/30/15 07:14 AM Re: This rain is not all a blessing [Re: don k]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
I wonder about that too. Plus putting fawns on higher ground/concentrated subjecting them to more predation.

#5765992 - 05/30/15 07:24 AM Re: This rain is not all a blessing [Re: don k]
T Bone Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Up in the cheap seats..
Our wheat may be a total loss..

eek2

#5765995 - 05/30/15 07:27 AM Re: This rain is not all a blessing [Re: don k]
T Bone Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Up in the cheap seats..
What's the next course of treatment Don?

#5765998 - 05/30/15 07:30 AM Re: This rain is not all a blessing [Re: T Bone]
tigger Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Round Rock, Texas
Originally Posted By: T Bone
Our wheat may be a total loss..

eek2

Drove around Taylor, Elgin area last week, most of wheat is ruined.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.

#5766007 - 05/30/15 07:42 AM Re: This rain is not all a blessing [Re: don k]
Creekrunner Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
'Hope you get 'em all doctored Don. Sorry you're getting hit by this.

#5766008 - 05/30/15 07:42 AM Re: This rain is not all a blessing [Re: don k]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Whitetail will probably fare better than a "import", or non-indigenous animal, at least that is what I would think. This has happened in the past and whitetail survived.

Don, hope you figure out a treatment, ivermectin is usually pretty reliable on parasites.

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5766075 - 05/30/15 08:39 AM Re: This rain is not all a blessing [Re: don k]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
Fewer pic's of deer on cam's here.. Usialy see 3ta4 deer at a time... Cam is set up were over the years see a doe with fawns... rofl was suprised last year whin enlarged pic on laptop & their was 3 different bucks starting in velvet... Later got pic's of two legal shooter's ( 13inch + ), haven't seen near the numbers of hogs in past... Still waiting ta do some grillen & chillen... scratch yagh, it went 1 buck county, ( not enough deer ) ta a 4 deer county... The threat of the anthrex, now high flooding got me worried, all the work put inta food plot, putting out feeders, suplement's, not culling the deer ta get it a 4 deer county... Lot team effort on the local loffers.... Just started raining... Brings back memoroes of water meter reading days whin they had water rationing's... Best wishes Don... At least we can get outa the rain.... flag

i'm postaddic

#5766152 - 05/30/15 09:40 AM Re: This rain is not all a blessing [Re: Western]
don k Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: Western
Whitetail will probably fare better than a "import", or non-indigenous animal, at least that is what I would think. This has happened in the past and whitetail survived.

Don, hope you figure out a treatment, ivermectin is usually pretty reliable on parasites.
Went to the vet with a dead kid. He looked at a fecal sample and said that a lot of people who raise goats, Boer, Angora Milk etc. are having problems. He said the only thing they have found so far is Prohibit. A drench made for cattle and sheep. I caught 4 kids this morning and drenched them. Only 12 more kids to go. Not a good year so far. 16 kids alive and 11 have dead.

#5766492 - 05/30/15 02:53 PM Re: This rain is not all a blessing [Re: don k]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: don k
Originally Posted By: Western

Went to the vet with a dead kid. He looked at a fecal sample and said that a lot of people who raise goats, Boer, Angora Milk etc. are having problems. He said the only thing they have found so far is Prohibit. A drench made for cattle and sheep. I caught 4 kids this morning and drenched them. Only 12 more kids to go. Not a good year so far. 16 kids alive and 11 have dead.

Yes sir, those numbers are tough. That's in the 40ish + % range of loss, enough to crumble most types of business. Hopefully the Prohibit is the silver bullet up

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5766610 - 05/30/15 05:01 PM Re: This rain is not all a blessing [Re: don k]
highlonesome1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Scleicher County
Don use Cydactin pour on in corn. I worm my mouflon and goats with it. One mark per animal over as much as they can eat in one feeding. Repeat in a week to be sure

#5766712 - 05/30/15 06:23 PM Re: This rain is not all a blessing [Re: highlonesome1]
don k Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: highlonesome1
Don use Cydactin pour on in corn. I worm my mouflon and goats with it. One mark per animal over as much as they can eat in one feeding. Repeat in a week to be sure
Please explain. I feed a textured feed. Mix how much? Works good? They will eat the mix? Thanks I appreciate the help.

#5766839 - 05/30/15 08:07 PM Re: This rain is not all a blessing [Re: don k]
rbw1 Offline
Bird Dog

Very sorry to hear about your trouble Don the last time we this much rain we had worm trouble as well lost half of sable herd including the male before we could slow it down . We were able to feed a special wormer pellet. But the ranch had to dry out before it finally went away. Prayers bud.

#5767014 - 05/30/15 10:08 PM Re: This rain is not all a blessing [Re: don k]
highlonesome1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Scleicher County
Get the Cydactin pour on for cattle. The bottle has a separate tube om the side to measure the amount. Not sure if it is CC,s or ML but each increment is for 100 lbs beef. I figure 1 mark for each adult and a half for kids. I mix it in their feed bucket and don't worry about putting too much. Mine eat corn the best so that is what I mix it with. They don't always eat it on protien. Add diatoumatios earth to their regular feed will help too I do this constantly. I worm twice per year or if I hear one cough. It's easier if you can get them to eat out of your hand.

#5767168 - 05/31/15 06:42 AM Re: This rain is not all a blessing [Re: don k]
don k Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Thanks I will give it a try. I already use the diatomatious earth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide