Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5771195 06/03/15 12:33 AM
D
DHJenkins Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Willmaker worked for me, but with no kids it's not that complicated.

Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5771794 06/03/15 01:30 PM
B
BWH_65 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I used silencer shop as well. I purchased the trust on Sunday, $129, read over it and completed it in about 20-25 minutes. Purchased the suppressor and tax stamp from them a few minutes later. Went and had the trust notarized on Monday, scanned it, made copies, then e-mailed it to silencer shop Monday after lunch. Had an e-mail back from silencer shop later Monday afternoon with a copy of the form 4 that they completed and submitted. Now the wait begins. Very smooth process and great company. I called to ask questions 2x last week and they were happy (or at least seemed happy) to answer my questions.

Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: Varget 7-08] #5771856 06/03/15 02:14 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: Varget 7-08
Originally Posted By: DocHorton
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
There are numerous horror stories regarding DIY trusts and it is not much more money to have an attorney do it properly.

What are your sources for the "numerous horror stories regarding DIY trusts"?

I have never heard of a single problem with them, just pissing and moaning from people who spent too much and think that you can't get a gun trust for under $150.

"ATF has seen many trusts which name the same individual as the beneficiary. It would appear that all of those people are just copying the trust from someone else. They believe that one day this random person could inherit thousands of NFA firearms."

https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2015/04/atf-statements-at-the-nra-firearms-law-seminar.html

That's not a horror story...you're dead and odds are most won't care what is done with their NFA items and the ones who do care do not have some random person's name in their trust document.

I asked around about trust and the fact is if the ATF approves it then it's done. There is no horror stories with DIY Trusts and there was no after the fact issues that I was able to find regarding a trust. The ATF isn't breaking down doors to people, arresting or taking DIY trust folks to court.

Do with what you are comfortable with but there isn't a thing wrong with the DIY trusts or the lawyer drafted trusts...they both work.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: Judd] #5772942 06/04/15 01:26 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Judd
There are numerous horror stories regarding DIY trusts and it is not much more money to have an attorney do it properly.

I have never heard of a single problem with them, just pissing and moaning from people who spent too much and think that you can't get a gun trust for under $150.

"ATF has seen many trusts which name the same individual as the beneficiary. It would appear that all of those people are just copying the trust from someone else. They believe that one day this random person could inherit thousands of NFA firearms."

https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2015/04/atf-statements-at-the-nra-firearms-law-seminar.html

That's not a horror story...you're dead and odds are most won't care what is done with their NFA items and the ones who do care do not have some random person's name in their trust document.

I asked around about trust and the fact is if the ATF approves it then it's done. There is no horror stories with DIY Trusts and there was no after the fact issues that I was able to find regarding a trust. The ATF isn't breaking down doors to people, arresting or taking DIY trust folks to court.

Do with what you are comfortable with but there isn't a thing wrong with the DIY trusts or the lawyer drafted trusts...they both work.

I'm hesitant to post up information from gun trust attorneys websites, but I have seen where they list stories of trusts that were setup incorrectly and there were problems.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 06/04/15 01:28 AM.
Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: Judd] #5774933 06/05/15 06:50 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

The ATF isn't there to check your trust for you. The trust is a legal document for the court. The ATF just cares that there is a trust. You can write a simple trust on a napkin and send a copy to the ATF if you want. The court is the only one that will care about the legality and wording of your trust. And the only time the court cares is if someone dies or there is a legal issue. See if Willmaker or a trust you wrote yourself would hold up in court. See what it will cost to get a lawyer to defend that trust. It's your money, you do what you want. I think when spending thousands on guns and suppressors, I would want to spend a little money and get something written by a trust lawyer that would defend it in court if the need arose.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5775142 06/05/15 01:54 PM
westexhunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
NFA trust has wording that is not in a regular trust. When the ATF is involved I want to be sure I'm not in violation of a law so I used an attorney that specializes in NFA trusts. I had mine done in 2007 and it was a little more expensive than I would have liked but there wasn't near as much info available then. My understanding is that a trust that has been approved could be found invalid (say the 2nd, 3rd.....10th time you apply for a form 1 or form 4) then all previous trusts are invalid and you become a fellon on all previous NFA stamps. Not sure that is the case but I'm not willing to risk it with a cheap generic trust.

That said SilencerCo has a trust form now and everything SilencerCo does is top notch.

Last edited by westexhunt; 06/05/15 01:56 PM.
Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: Toxarch] #5775180 06/05/15 02:29 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Toxarch

The ATF isn't there to check your trust for you. The trust is a legal document for the court. The ATF just cares that there is a trust. You can write a simple trust on a napkin and send a copy to the ATF if you want. The court is the only one that will care about the legality and wording of your trust. And the only time the court cares is if someone dies or there is a legal issue. See if Willmaker or a trust you wrote yourself would hold up in court. See what it will cost to get a lawyer to defend that trust. It's your money, you do what you want. I think when spending thousands on guns and suppressors, I would want to spend a little money and get something written by a trust lawyer that would defend it in court if the need arose.

Who's going to take you to court? Unless you are doing something illegal or your trust is a royal cluster-f you have nothing to worry about. And if you think a trust lawyer is going to defend anything in court for free I would get that in writing because I have never seen a lawyer do anything for free.

Still no answer for my question....just hypotheticals. Let's see an example of someone who went to jail, lost their NFA items, or went to court over a DIY/Pre-made trust.

Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5777125 06/07/15 02:21 AM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K

Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5777132 06/07/15 02:25 AM
P
Precision_Shooter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
$99 NFA Trust. My dad used them and got his first eForm 1 back in 10 weeks.

www.nfalawyers.com

Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: krmitchell] #5777537 06/07/15 04:16 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D

Still seems to be hypotheticals and no specific info that states an issue with a DIY Trust?

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: DStroud] #5778522 06/08/15 04:00 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: DStroud

Still seems to be hypotheticals and no specific info that states an issue with a DIY Trust?

Looks that way and that article is from 2009 and it says it was resolved. Just to be clear, I'm not advocating doing it yourself, just that an attorney isn't necessary. Use one of the reputable sites like Silencershop that sales them for $129 and be done with it.

Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: DocHorton] #5778531 06/08/15 04:11 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

Who's going to take you to court? Unless you are doing something illegal or your trust is a royal cluster-f you have nothing to worry about. And if you think a trust lawyer is going to defend anything in court for free I would get that in writing because I have never seen a lawyer do anything for free.

Still no answer for my question....just hypotheticals. Let's see an example of someone who went to jail, lost their NFA items, or went to court over a DIY/Pre-made trust.

Accidents happen. And when accidents happen, people start lawyering up and sueing you for anything they can. If there's an accident involving an NFA item, they will try to tear apart your trust in court.
I never said a lawyer would defend the trust in court for free. I said a lawyer would defend a trust they wrote in court. Or at least mine will.
You do whatever you want. It's your money and your life. I have zero concerns about my trust.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: DocHorton] #5778591 06/08/15 05:16 AM
B
bluesman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B

Looks that way and that article is from 2009 and it says it was resolved. Just to be clear, I'm not advocating doing it yourself, just that an attorney isn't necessary. Use one of the reputable sites like Silencershop that sales them for $129 and be done with it.

Just so you will know. I talked to Willi's office the other day and sent a client to him. His associate told me that ATF was going to start doing a through review on all the gun trusts submitted specifically because all the "do it yourself'ers have no idea what they were doing". I do a lot of trusts, but my work is tax and estate planning. I'm sure there are some here who think they can do that also and "just be done with it".

Sure are a lot of "shoe clerk" lawyers on this web site. They'll all be doing brain surgery next.

Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5778622 06/08/15 07:17 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Tax and estate planning? I'm sure the $20 copy of Will Maker will take care of that too. (/sarcasm)

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: bluesman] #5779392 06/08/15 08:34 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: bluesman

Just so you will know. I talked to Willi's office the other day and sent a client to him. His associate told me that ATF was going to start doing a through review on all the gun trusts submitted specifically because all the "do it yourself'ers have no idea what they were doing". I do a lot of trusts, but my work is tax and estate planning. I'm sure there are some here who think they can do that also and "just be done with it".

Sure are a lot of "shoe clerk" lawyers on this web site. They'll all be doing brain surgery next.

Kinda my point. I'm done trying to convince someone what most would consider to be the smart approach to this. Knock yourselves out saving 100 bucks writing your own legal documents.

Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5779461 06/08/15 09:22 PM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Am I the only one who has never heard the term "Shoe Clerk" lawyer?

Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5779709 06/08/15 11:45 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I thought the term was "Shoe Box Lawyer". I just assumed it was the same thing. It's a term for someone giving legal advice without being a lawyer, which I believe is illegal.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: Toxarch] #5780108 06/09/15 05:02 AM
B
bluesman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I thought the term was "Shoe Box Lawyer". I just assumed it was the same thing. It's a term for someone giving legal advice without being a lawyer, which I believe is illegal.

It's the term we in the profession use to define low information unlicensed fools giving legal advice. And yes it is a crime. It is called "unauthorized practice of law" and several shoe clerks on this thread (I'm not referencing you) have committed that crime. Check the Texas Penal Code, section 38.123.

The best legal advise a lay person can give is "I don't know I'm not a lawyer, you need to go see one".

Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5780448 06/09/15 02:07 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

It's the term we in the profession use to define low information unlicensed fools giving legal advice. And yes it is a crime. It is called "unauthorized practice of law" and several shoe clerks on this thread (I'm not referencing you) have committed that crime. Check the Texas Penal Code, section 38.123.

The best legal advise a lay person can give is "I don't know I'm not a lawyer, you need to go see one".

I was going to let this pass and even had a different post typed up but I cannot resist.

So now because some folks don't use an atty to draft their trust and shared their experience they are fools and providing legal advice? Do you see anywhere that someone offered their trust up for copy, do you see anywhere that someone said "this is how you do it"? I'll answer that question in the best condescending pompous asshat way to match your post...no, only an idiot would interpret this post that way.

To quote myself to continue your elitist theme:

I did my homework…there is not a single issue that I can find or that has been posted here that indicates an approved non-atty trust is going to cause you problems (that isn’t posted or on an atty’s site because that is nothing short of advertising). The only issue that could be valid (I still cannot find an issue anywhere in the past) is if you are involved in a crime and your NFA item is used. Truth is if that is the case the trust aspect will be the least of your concerns and you will have much bigger problems than a DIY trust.

Oh and one last parting jab since you enjoyed yours so much….it’s “best legal advice” not advise. And if you didn’t mean to come off that way then I’ll be the first to point out that is how you came across and just ignore my condesending pompous asshat, elitest theme and English lesson wink

To the rest of the posters...I'll stick by earlier post that was bolded, either will work. Figure out what you are comfortable with and use that method. I'm not trashing people who used an atty or a DIY.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: bluesman] #5780631 06/09/15 03:42 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

I'm with Judd on this one. No one in this thread has committed any crime. If you were familiar with the Texas Penal Code, Section 38.123 you would find that you are wrong.

"Sec. 38.123. UNAUTHORIZED PRACTICE OF LAW. (a) A person commits an offense if, with intent to obtain an economic benefit for himself or herself, the person:...."

Last time I checked it wasn't illegal to give an opinion. But you're the genius attorney, why don't you school us "low information unlicensed fools" some more. roflmao

Like I also said, I'm not advocating doing it yourself, but that both options will work.

Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: Judd] #5780655 06/09/15 03:56 PM
B
bluesman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B

I was going to let this pass and even had a different post typed up but I cannot resist.

So now because some folks don't use an atty to draft their trust and shared their experience they are fools and providing legal advice? Do you see anywhere that someone offered their trust up for copy, do you see anywhere that someone said "this is how you do it"? I'll answer that question in the best condescending pompous asshat way to match your post...no, only an idiot would interpret this post that way.

To quote myself to continue your elitist theme:

I did my homework…there is not a single issue that I can find or that has been posted here that indicates an approved non-atty trust is going to cause you problems (that isn’t posted or on an atty’s site because that is nothing short of advertising). The only issue that could be valid (I still cannot find an issue anywhere in the past) is if you are involved in a crime and your NFA item is used. Truth is if that is the case the trust aspect will be the least of your concerns and you will have much bigger problems than a DIY trust.

Oh and one last parting jab since you enjoyed yours so much….it’s “best legal advice” not advise. And if you didn’t mean to come off that way then I’ll be the first to point out that is how you came across and just ignore my condesending pompous asshat, elitest theme and English lesson wink

To the rest of the posters...I'll stick by earlier post that was bolded, either will work. Figure out what you are comfortable with and use that method. I'm not trashing people who used an atty or a DIY.

Well Judd - In the area of the law I AM a member of an elite group. That's just a pure and simple fact. Less than 0.36% of the population are licensed to practice law. I have a doctorate degree in law and have been licensed by the Texas Bar for 37 years to practice law. If you want to call me elitist I could care less.

As to the spelling lesson - the issue isn't spelling ability, it's typing ability. I have secretaries that do my typing so I am not particularity proficient at it.

As to the rest of your tirade, I suggest you read the posts on this thread carefully (including yours), and then go read the statute for yourself. I gave the section to you - so you won't even have to try to look it up. After carefully reading the statute against the posts on this thread - If you then still want to be a "shoe clerk" practicing law (low information unlicensed fool giving legal advice) - then by all means - HAVE AT IT!!!!!! bang bang bang bang

Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5780690 06/09/15 04:22 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
We've done this several times guys. It always ends like this. Chill and do what you want, but, butt out if someone else doesn't do it your way.

Just my 2cents

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: bluesman] #5781640 06/10/15 01:21 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
So, bluesman, was I wrong in not hiring an attorney setting up my second L.L.C. ? The first one cost me $1k paying an attorney. The second one only cost me the fee the state charges. I'm a D-I-Yer of almost everything. I rarely hire anyone to do anything. In fact, last I checked a person can represent themselves in a court of law. Your credentials and experience have been earned and I respect them. However, you may not always be the smartest person in the room, and there are plenty of guys around here that are competent enough to figure out how to set up their own trust for themselves. It's not rocket science. And if they care to guide someone along, I see no harm in the matter. Local, State, and Federal law is open for any citizen to interpret. The problem is, it is not always written in plain english that the layman can wade through the B.S. and extract the true meaning in a timely fashion. It was written by attorneys for attorneys, almost as a foreign language. Trouble is, some people are smart enough to sort it out for themselves, and do their own work. And I understand that hurts your business. No different that someone that doesn't need to hire me to weld something for them because they have a welding machine they are competent using

P.S. the term is "couldn't care less" not could care less. Guess that is not instructed in any Ph.D courses.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: J.G.] #5781911 06/10/15 03:16 AM
B
bluesman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
So, bluesman, was I wrong in not hiring an attorney setting up my second L.L.C. ? The first one cost me $1k paying an attorney. The second one only cost me the fee the state charges. I'm a D-I-Yer of almost everything. I rarely hire anyone to do anything. In fact, last I checked a person can represent themselves in a court of law. Your credentials and experience have been earned and I respect them. However, you may not always be the smartest person in the room, and there are plenty of guys around here that are competent enough to figure out how to set up their own trust for themselves. It's not rocket science. And if they care to guide someone along, I see no harm in the matter. Local, State, and Federal law is open for any citizen to interpret. The problem is, it is not always written in plain english that the layman can wade through the B.S. and extract the true meaning in a timely fashion. It was written by attorneys for attorneys, almost as a foreign language. Trouble is, some people are smart enough to sort it out for themselves, and do their own work. And I understand that hurts your business. No different that someone that doesn't need to hire me to weld something for them because they have a welding machine they are competent using

P.S. the term is "couldn't care less" not could care less. Guess that is not instructed in any Ph.D courses.

Read my posts again and this time try to understand them. If your post is an example of your comprehension and understanding of what I said then I would be scared as hell of any LLC you set up. In fact - law IS ROCKET SCIENCE. You just haven't figured that out yet. Do they write rocket science in plain english so the layman can wade through it - nope. Some things are just not meant to be understood by the layman. Unless one has has the training and background they are never going to understand the subject matter. It's just like my truck - I used to work on them but today I don't even try. I would love to see a layman try to fix a complicated problem with a modern vehicle - that's a FUBAR waiting to happen. I personally have not met a layman in my 37 years of practicing law that I felt was competent to create a trust and I have a lot of very successful intelligent business people as clients.

As for it hurting my business - again you need to try to read my posts and understand them. I clearly stated that I DO NOT DO GUN TRUSTS. I even indicated that I was sending a client out to a gun trust lawyer. None of this garbage nor the DIY guys effect my business at all. My law practice is highly specialized and limited to tax, estate planning, and probate work. Heck I like it when someone DIY'S their own tax and estate planning. When I get to fix the mess they created at $450.00 an hour it's like manna from heaven. Not my fault they did it themselves and screwed things up, but if you think I'm going to finance their FUBAR's or take pity on them your wrong. You reap what you sow.

As I said:

" I suggest you read the posts on this thread carefully (including yours), and then go read the statute for yourself. I gave the section to you - so you won't even have to try to look it up. After carefully reading the statute against the posts on this thread - If you then still want to be a "shoe clerk" practicing law (low information unlicensed fool giving legal advice) - then by all means - HAVE AT IT!!!!!! bang bang bang bang"

PS: It's actually "could not care less" not couldn't care less. But you need to read my post again and as I previously indicated I don't type well and don't claim too - so you don't score any points there. I have secretaries that do my typing for me and and don't need to type well. By the way - I don't proof read my posts of forums such as this and don't intend to start.

"a person can represent themselves in a court of law" Great statement. For a layperson it would be like being in a wheelchair with both hands tied behind them. Love to see you go up against a trained lawyer in a court proceeding. TOTAL WIPEOUT!! We have a saying for that in the profession also - "a person who acts as their own lawyer has a fool for a client and a fool for a lawyer" Shucks I guess that could also apply to those DIY guys that create their own trusts, couldn't it.

Personally I think Cast made the best post on this thread, so in closing, I quote:

"We've done this several times guys. It always ends like this. Chill and do what you want, but, butt out if someone else doesn't do it your way."

You've been warned, so like I said "HAVE AT IT"!!

Re: Setting up a Trust [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5782310 06/10/15 02:26 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I feel like adding some fuel...

I remeber reading a blog post that was an overview of an ATF seminar at an industry event. The ATF said someone posted there trust online as a template for people. People copied it incorrectly and didn't update the beneficiary and this lead to a person be listed as the beneficary on thousands of trusts.

I also have seen some statments that said the ATF is not reviewing the validity of trusts.

It's risk decisions. Some want the safety of an attorney. Some don't. I do know that some attorneys are making a massive amount of money off of these. But they also spend massive amounts of money to get a law degree.

I admit spelling or typing errors are most likely included in this post frown

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide