6239865 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5765626 - 05/29/15 08:53 PM 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott
hetman Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Addison Tx
A signature from Gov. Greg Abbott is all that remains before a bill allowing Texans to carry their handguns openly becomes law.

After a week of hand-wringing over a controversial amendment — and what proved to be empty threats of a Democratic filibuster — the legislation sailed through both chambers of the Legislature on Friday afternoon. The vote in the House was 102 to 43; in the Senate, 20 to 11.

House Bill 910 from state Rep. Larry Phillips, R-Sherman, would allow license-holders to carry handguns openly in a hip or shoulder holster, changing current law requiring that such weapons be concealed.

The bill's passage was temporarily delayed last Friday when the Senate unexpectedly revived a provision that would limit the power of police officers to ask those carrying handguns visibly for a permit.

The so-called "cop stop" amendment had support from some Democrats who said it would help prevent racial profiling, as well as conservatives who said it was necessary to protect the public against unreasonable searches and seizures. But it stirred vocal criticism from the state's law enforcement officials, many of whom already opposed the legislation.

State Sen. Rodney Ellis, a Houston Democrat who supported the "cop stop" amendment but opposed the legislation as a whole, told the chamber shortly before Friday's vote that he wished law enforcement had used its "collective strength" to oppose the entire bill, rather than aligning at the last minute to fight an amendment.

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick released the following statement Friday, commending the senate's decision:

"Protecting our Second Amendment Right has always been a priority of the Senate. This week, I'm proud to announce the Senate passed the 'open carry' bill and it is now headed to Governor Abbott's desk for his signature.

"This bill will allow for anyone with a license to carry a handgun openly, in Texas.

"I want to thank the senators for their bi-partisan work on making sure our Second Amendment Rights are never infringed upon. Congratulations to the senators for making Texans' priorities their own."

Since shortly after he was elected in November, Abbott, a Republican, has said he would sign any open carry bill that reached his desk.

Just minutes after the final vote in the Senate, he tweeted: "Open Carry just passed in both the Texas House & Senate. Next destination: My Pen."

"God is Good, Beer is Great & people are Crazy"

#5765790 - 05/29/15 10:37 PM Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
up

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#5765794 - 05/29/15 10:41 PM Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman]
TXHOGSLAYER Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Katy, TX
Great, but why would you carry openly? I mean, I can see if you were on your ranch and had to run into town. Other than that?

#5765807 - 05/29/15 10:53 PM Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman]
hetman Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Addison Tx
means a tight or very light shirt pulled over the CCW - it will not matter if it imprints or accidently shows anymore. It will be interesting how it plays out in public. Maybe in a year or 2 it will be no big deal, & Texas Peeps will be a tad more polite in there dealings with people.

"God is Good, Beer is Great & people are Crazy"

#5765815 - 05/29/15 11:02 PM Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman]
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: West Texas
Thank goodness it finally passed. Kory and I were beginning to have back problems from carrying our AK-47's around all the time.

You sure you want to poach on our place?

#5765849 - 05/29/15 11:32 PM Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman]
tenyearsgone Offline
Pro Tracker

The thing is, that amendment wasn't needed in the first place. What they wanted to put in there is already the law. All it was going to do repeat it.

#5765850 - 05/29/15 11:33 PM Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman]
TXHOGSLAYER Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Katy, TX
Originally Posted By: hetman
means a tight or very light shirt pulled over the CCW - it will not matter if it imprints or accidently shows anymore. It will be interesting how it plays out in public. Maybe in a year or 2 it will be no big deal, & Texas Peeps will be a tad more polite in there dealings with people.

I thought there was already a law about printing.

#5765857 - 05/29/15 11:43 PM Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: aeb]
Ramsey Online   content
Pepe' Le Pew

Loc: Grayson County
Originally Posted By: aeb
Thank goodness it finally passed. Kory and I were beginning to have back problems from carrying our AK-47's around all the time.
SATIRE I HOPE!

#5765881 - 05/30/15 12:31 AM Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman]
bigjoe8565 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Mesquite, Tx
When can people open carry?

#5765899 - 05/30/15 01:31 AM Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman]
Scoutdog Online   happy
Woodsman

Loc: In the fields of TX, KS, or SD
Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone
The thing is, that amendment wasn't needed in the first place. What they wanted to put in there is already the law. All it was going to do repeat it.
Agreed. It would have been interesting to see how this police drama would have played out if the amendment was worded something like this:

Sec. 411.2049. CERTAIN INVESTIGATORY STOPS AND INQUIRIES PROHIBITED. A peace officer may not make an investigatory stop or other temporary detention, as covered by the Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution, to inquire as to a person's possession of a handgun license solely because the person is carrying in a shoulder or belt holster a partially or wholly visible handgun

Perhaps some of the “state’s law enforcement officials” who opposed the amendment need to bone up on the Constitution before making up their own rules.

#5765902 - 05/30/15 02:12 AM Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: TXHOGSLAYER]
tenyearsgone Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted By: hetman

I thought there was already a law about printing.

There has been since forever. They actually clarified it last session for the reading impaired. Apparently there's some who just aren't able to be reached.

#5765933 - 05/30/15 06:17 AM Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: TXHOGSLAYER]
Superduty Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Arlington, Texas
Great, but why would you carry openly? I mean, I can see if you were on your ranch and had to run into town. Other than that?

A lot easier when riding a motorcycle.

#5765963 - 05/30/15 06:55 AM Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: hetman]
Thundervee Online   happy

Loc: Shepherd
It's about time!

#5766173 - 05/30/15 10:03 AM Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: Ramsey]
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Ramsey
Originally Posted By: aeb
SATIRE I HOPE!

Kory is a lot younger than I am. That darned AK was wearing this old man down. Plus it never hung right on my walker.

#5766177 - 05/30/15 10:04 AM Re: 'Open carry' bill heads to Gov. Abbott [Re: Superduty]
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Superduty

A lot easier when riding a motorcycle.

Lot easier when I use my walker also.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide