Print Thread
Dog Training Location/Cost #5757677 05/24/15 08:12 PM
S
STEW Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
I am about to get a puppy from my friend's lab. His dog hunts, but I would like for the puppy to get a little more training. Does anyone know of any kennels in the DFW area that I could get the puppy trained at and what are is average cost range be for some of this training.

Re: Dog Training Location/Cost [Re: STEW] #5758227 05/25/15 04:54 AM
H
huntingag01 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I've been using Stone Cold Retrievers (kbobbjr on here). Been very happy so far. I would look him up and contact him for his latest pricing. It all depends on how much training you want on the dog as well.

Last edited by huntingag01; 05/25/15 04:55 AM.
Re: Dog Training Location/Cost [Re: STEW] #5758571 05/25/15 03:26 PM
S
ShotGunWillie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Kevin is a top notch guy, all around....

Re: Dog Training Location/Cost [Re: STEW] #5758763 05/25/15 05:55 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
That's a tough question.

Most Pro trainers, want your dog for 6 months +/- you can go visit and when said trainer says dog is ready, you can go and "learn" how to handle the dog. Kinda sux if your dog is going to be a pet too.

I believe Angie at Tioga Retrievers will give "lessons" .

My lab is now 15 weeks old we are in a weekly obedience class but I want Jessie to hunt, so I am also looking for a field trainer to help with steady , and longer marks, and basic retriever training.

I just don't want to leave her with the trainer. It gets very expensive. $600 a month , it's definitely worth it though.

Re: Dog Training Location/Cost [Re: Buzzsaw] #5759593 05/26/15 03:12 AM
S
STEW Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
So I would have to leave my puppy for 6 months for $600 a month. WOW

Re: Dog Training Location/Cost [Re: STEW] #5759756 05/26/15 12:24 PM
O
Ol_Yeller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Come and check out the local Hunting Retriever clubs (HRC)...DFW has Cowtown (which I'm a member), Lonestar and Big D. I joined a couple years ago when I fist got my pup. I wanted more than just my past meat dogs. Sure opened my eyes and the folks have been a great help. Even got me started on running some hunt tests.

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."
Re: Dog Training Location/Cost [Re: STEW] #5759766 05/26/15 12:35 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: STEW
So I would have to leave my puppy for 6 months for $600 a month. WOW

Your going to look at 3 months as a good starting place, and go from there.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Dog Training Location/Cost [Re: STEW] #5760625 05/26/15 10:12 PM
M
maximumintensityretriever Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
If by "a little more training" you mean you want the dog running cold blinds you better plan on 8-9 months and that's if the dog has good trainability and bottom. Most people have no idea the length of time it takes to train a dog. You can figure on at a minimum 4 months to start a dog (your buddies hunter) and it may be closer to six depending on the dog. Kindall had a good answer. Let the trainer get the dog through obedience and possibly FF and see if the aptitude is even there.

Tony Marshall
Maximum Intensity Retrievers
https://m.facebook.com/maximumintensity.retrievers
(903) 720-6842
Re: Dog Training Location/Cost [Re: STEW] #5762822 05/28/15 03:00 AM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Most trainers won't take a pup in until their primary teeth are in. Usually from 5-6 months old. Until then it's up to you to throw puppy marks to build retrieving desire. Don't worry about steadying the dog at this age. By doing so you can cause the pup to no go on marks.
It's better to get direction from a pro who works with dogs daily than am's who train once or twice a month at a club function.

Robby

Re: Dog Training Location/Cost [Re: STEW] #5763028 05/28/15 12:34 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
One of mine has about 9 months with a trainer, plus me working with him. If I remember right, it was 6 months the first time, and 3 months the second time I sent him.

You need to have a good idea of what you want from your dog on hunts.
Then let the trainer tell you when the dog is to that level, or if the dog may never get to that level.
When you get him back, plan on working the dog yourself in the off season, or sending him back for refreshers before the season starts.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Dog Training Location/Cost [Re: STEW] #5776168 06/06/15 07:36 AM
M
Mike Honcho Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
It really depends on what level you want your dog to be at. Ive done 9 months of me training and 7 months of paid training with one lab, one 100% paid training for 9 mo and he had him since birth, and trained 1 myself. Here is my experiences with labs (grew up with and have only had labs)

1st Lab trained by me. I lucked out with her, if there was ever a lab ive personally run across that just had every instinct and drive to learn Mini was that dog. It took about 4hrs to get her comfortable around a gun. And she had a nose on her, which is one of the 2 most important factors with a hunting dog imo. The other imo is how well the dog locks on to the target. Some dogs do it better no what what bloodline they come from. The reason these 2 imo are most important is when they have a nose and know how to use it that can significantly make up for not locking on target and getting easily distracted. You can train most of the latter away. Locking on target i.e. dummy or bird gives a line to the dog. That will prove crucial if you do hunt tests or field trials. Mini had those two so once she understood her job it was easy. She never went to school but everything came easy and natural. Also if your like me you will get an immense pride and satisfaction training yourself. But i was also realistic, had she not been so good i would have sent her off. Keep in mind It will be ALOT of patience, reading, and even more work on your part to get everything outta that dog.

#2 he was sent to school and i have mixed feelings about only doing school and not at least getting them what you would consider "started". Tank was a great retriever, but really a lousy companion. Think of a robot. I have no complaints on his performance, but one thing stuck with me that i am convinced is a truth about labs. If the owner doesnt lay the ground work (at least obedience) that dog wont live up to its potential with YOU. What i mean is tank worked noticeably better with his trainer then he ever did me. Ive noticed this with several other dogs and their owners who shipped them off as soon as they could or bought an already trained dog. When you establish that connection/bond with the your dog, theyll be so much more responsive, yall will know how each of yall works, and getting that dog ready for the season will be a breeze.

#3 Bo is my current dog, 3yrs old. Tank is retired. I started him and got him to the point he could mark a double and do a double cold blind and was making significant progress with a 3 in a row drill. He also wouldnt shop around with a pile drill. At this point he had a solid foundation. So seeing his potential i decided to send him to school. It was 600/mo. He went for 7 months. Bo made great improvements and is a great hunting dog. He responds very well to me and is also a great companion the latter matters to me. Some hunters/owners prefer a perfect machine, i dont. Imo this is the best approach. We work very well because he trusts me and we have that bond from the beginning.

With all that being said Mini was the very best outta the bunch, but honestly she was a 1 in a million so i dont count her as the norm. If you do want to "start" the dog then send it off (like Bo). just remember that a dog most often wants to do what you ask but many times doesnt understand what you want. Bo is this to a Tee. So when i introduce a new drill or objective we walk through it several times, then i cut him loose, this has given him confidence and vastly improved his abilities. Also i cant stress positive encouragement. It doesnt take much to ruin a great dog. Dont get heavy handed with an e-collar. And undwrstand its an investment of time. Be prepared that if you want a great dog, you will need to spend around 15-30 min a day either teaching or reinforcing the skills you paid someone to develop. I went to work for 2 years out in west tx in the oil patch and since i was laid off and been back its been a very slow process getting Bo back to where he was, he still isnt close. If i can be of any more help give me a call, i love working with dogs and will pay it forward all the help and knowlesge given to me.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Dog Training Location/Cost [Re: STEW] #5776169 06/06/15 07:53 AM
M
Mike Honcho Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I am by no means a professional, just a guy who has had 7 "hunting" labs in his life time the other 4 were my old mans. All were "finished" when he bought em. Obedient and impressive retrieving machines, but lousy companions imo.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide