Forum Stats
60446 Members
45 Forums
475859 Topics
6242562 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5756291 - 05/23/15 08:17 AM How much torque to use mounting a scope??
WileyCoyote Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The Dogwood Capital of Texas
Just ordered a beam style Park 1 1/4" drive torque wrench off Amazon for $40, and need to mount & re mount all of my new and preowned scopes so I don't continue to strip screws using my years long GoRilla tight approach. The wrench I ordered only goes to 60lbs, but I can't imagine needing anything tighter than that on a rifle...but what do I know about it...nada.

So,
A. is there is difference in the amount of torque used on different brand/styles of bases ...ie ... the Classic style Weaver 2 piece bases I'll use with classic Weaver and Warne Maxima rings??

B. how much ft lb's of torques should I use on 1 piece Talley's x Warne Maxima's x Leupold DD's x classic Weaver's with several different scopes...ie does it make a difference between a Nikon Buckmaster x Vortex D'Back HP's x Minox ZA5 30mm's x Sightron x a cheapy Bushnell Banner that's going on a shotgun in a saddle mount?? Gotta wonder how long the Banner will last shooting 12ga 3" slugs out of a SuperNova pump gun too but we'll see how that works out on my lame shoulder too.

C. Do the various manufacturers CSR's have this kind of info?? I seem to remember the new Vortex D'Backs 'struction booklet said something about it but I've put off assembling everything that I've been collecting all spring...and NOW it's time while I am housebound waiting for the GREAT TEXOMA FLOOD of 2015 to subside a little....or find a dry spot somewhere else while I can still get out of here with all my household goods and furniture.
Ron

Edited by WileyCoyote (05/23/15 08:33 AM)

TooTaToo...We have MET the Enemy...and He is US !!... Pogo

Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it...George Santayana

#5756295 - 05/23/15 08:21 AM Re: How much torque to use mounting a scope?? [Re: WileyCoyote]
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas - God's Country
Your torque wrench needs to be inch pound. There's nothing on a rifle that needs to be gorilla tight with very few exceptions. Your scope mount screws need to be two finger snug with an optional drop of purple loctite.

I have a short attention spa

#5756305 - 05/23/15 08:30 AM Re: How much torque to use mounting a scope?? [Re: WileyCoyote]
Extreme Tracker

Yup on the "inch pound" measurment, that's what I'd heard and this wrench was recc'd for this purpose on another channel, by a guy that had already done lots of extensive testing, I think as a tech writer somewhere, of every brand he could get his hands on....and said this Park 1 unit was the cheapest Best buy under a mega bux wrench...but had limited use in situations where the long beam was an access problem, unlike with a rifle sitting in a work cradle.

I've had a long history of stripping ring and mount screws, and it's time to learn the "correct way" to do this seemingly simple job.
Ron

#5756348 - 05/23/15 09:05 AM Re: How much torque to use mounting a scope?? [Re: WileyCoyote]
300_WizzM Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Grand Saline, TX
Most manufactures have a recommended torque. You should be able to obtain this info from their website. Oh and it will differ most of the time depending on what material they are made of either aluminum or steel.

#5756406 - 05/23/15 09:56 AM Re: How much torque to use mounting a scope?? [Re: WileyCoyote]
BigPig Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
Call SWFA, that's what I do since most companies don't include that info with the rings. My SWFA brand rings were 60in/lb for the base and 18in/lb for the ring tops

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#5756452 - 05/23/15 10:53 AM Re: How much torque to use mounting a scope?? [Re: WileyCoyote]
mikei Offline
Pro Tracker

Wiley, I've been using one of these for years, and I love it. The instruction sheet that comes with it gives general torque guidelines which I have used successfully. Haven't sheared off a single set screw/mounting screw since I began using this puppy!

http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Firearms-Accurizing-Torque-Wrench/dp/B0012AXR4S

#5756505 - 05/23/15 11:55 AM Re: How much torque to use mounting a scope?? [Re: WileyCoyote]
Extreme Tracker

The Fat Wrench was what I was looking at initially, until I read this guys notes, who was asking folks to send him samples of their wrenchs to use for a couple days in his data base.

The long handle beam style & big dial Park 1 & 2 models apparently are s'posed to be more accurate on a repeat basis...albeit slower to use and take more space to operate & store yadda yadda. Amazon's fulfillment source on the Park 1 I ordered, is a Bike Shop supplier...

It'll be interesting for sure...and mebbe I won't have to keep replacing torque & hexhead scope screws everytime I take a scope off a rifle.
Ron

#5756511 - 05/23/15 12:01 PM Re: How much torque to use mounting a scope?? [Re: WileyCoyote]
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas - God's Country
Your Indian name is Too Tight. In the USN we called you OverTorque.

I have a short attention spa

#5756536 - 05/23/15 12:36 PM Re: How much torque to use mounting a scope?? [Re: WileyCoyote]
Big Fitz Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
Per Wheeler Fat Wrench and/or the research I've done, 15 in-lbs if aluminum rings, 20 if steel, 35 for base. Loc-tite all with the blue.

#5756554 - 05/23/15 01:01 PM Re: How much torque to use mounting a scope?? [Re: Big Fitz]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
Per Wheeler Fat Wrench and/or the research I've done, 15 in-lbs if aluminum rings, 20 if steel, 35 for base. Loc-tite all with the blue.

Bingo! Simple to remember. Apply this to every brand and you will be just fine.

I was ever president I would mandate that every screw produced forth with would be torx drive. The flathead screw is an abomination and the phillips is so inferior to the allen and torx it might as well vanish with the flathead. Torx is better than allen, so allen can go away forever with the rest of them as far as I'm concerned.

Ok, rant over.

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#5756579 - 05/23/15 01:23 PM Re: How much torque to use mounting a scope?? [Re: WileyCoyote]
NewJeep Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Boerne, Tx
15-20 in/lbs on ring half
30-45 in/lb on base
Degrease all threads

Edited by NewJeep (05/23/15 01:24 PM)

#5756587 - 05/23/15 01:34 PM Re: How much torque to use mounting a scope?? [Re: FiremanJG]
BigPig Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Bingo! Simple to remember. Apply this to every brand and you will be just fine.

I was ever president I would mandate that every screw produced forth with would be torx drive. The flathead screw is an abomination and the phillips is so inferior to the allen and torx it might as well vanish with the flathead. Torx is better than allen, so allen can go away forever with the rest of them as far as I'm concerned.

Ok, rant over.

You clearly never worked on a Jeep, they had an obsession with torx, they are the devil. Almost every one I have tried to remove would strip, if it didn't strip the torx it would twist the splines on the tool. I've used every brand torx bit I can find, including high dollar Snap-on and those even twist. Torx is the devil

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#5756596 - 05/23/15 01:42 PM Re: How much torque to use mounting a scope?? [Re: WileyCoyote]
NewJeep Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Boerne, Tx
Man those torx on the the windshield on TJs are the devil. We ended up just drilling them out every time.

#5756738 - 05/23/15 05:20 PM Re: How much torque to use mounting a scope?? [Re: NewJeep]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Alright every thing under 3/16" Torx. Sounds like Jeep used Torx where they should have used a bolt head.

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#5756759 - 05/23/15 05:34 PM Re: How much torque to use mounting a scope?? [Re: Big Fitz]
pertnear Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Kingsland, TX

+1 on this advice.

Action screws for pillar bedded bolt actions tighten to 50/55 in-lbs

My Texas blog: http://thedrchronicles.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide