Forums46
Topics537,938
Posts9,730,877
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: DeadRooster] #5717875 04/27/15 12:23 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: DeadRooster
That's not correct, Red.

The law states that, if you are open carrying, LEO may not stop and ask to see your CHL. In other words, if you're walking down the street, with a legally holstered handgun (once open carry passes), and not breaking any other law...LEO cannot stop you and ask for CHL.

However, if you are stopped for a valid reason (just because you are open carrying a handgun is not a valid reason) you are still required to show the LEO your CHL if asked.

Thanks for the clarification...

Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5718669 04/27/15 09:00 PM
M
Minter66 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I'm going to "open carry" as in having an OWB holster but put a shirt over it. It will be somewhat obvious, and if I reach or stretch it will expose, but I'm not going to go all Texas Ranger and have it out and my shirt tucked in.

Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5718755 04/27/15 09:47 PM
A
AP2714 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
A
Still trying to decide once it passes. I'm leaning toward just keeping it concealed.

Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5720305 04/28/15 07:40 PM
D
DeadRooster Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Minter66 - I have been carrying that way for most of the last two year (OWB holster at 3 o'clock, with a large untucked Dickies work shirt covering it).

It's how I'll continue to carry once Open Carry passes. Only difference will be that I won't be nearly as concerned about accidentally uncovering my pistol from time-to-time.

Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5721261 04/29/15 11:48 AM
westexhunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Moving from pocket carry 380 to a G23 serpa but it will not be exposed.

Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5727726 05/04/15 02:06 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I will carry OWB covered with my shirt and not worry about exposing pistol.

Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5754554 05/22/15 01:05 AM
T
Them Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
I voted yes because I would tend to carry more the way I do when visiting Arizona. That is to say not trying to show it but not worried about it showing.

In Texas, even with protections for accidental showing, I won't carry a full sized pistol OWB nor with an unbuttoned cover garment because I don't want to have to argue with anyone about whether the wind blew my overshirt open or I intentionally opened it to show my gun.

Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5754593 05/22/15 01:32 AM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
No, I would not open carry, but I feel paranoid some times that my concealed carry may imprint or accidentally be disclosed. Therefore, open carry would make me feel more comfortable & incite me to carry more often, no matter the situation.

FWIW

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5755996 05/23/15 02:37 AM
D
DeadRooster Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Open carry just passed the third reading in the Senate, 25-6. The bill is on the way to Gov. Abbott's desk, where he has promised to sign it!

Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5756046 05/23/15 03:10 AM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Cause I don't want to.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: DeadRooster] #5756145 05/23/15 04:59 AM
I
Ihunt Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I
Open carry just passed the third reading in the Senate, 25-6. The bill is on the way to Gov. Abbott's desk, where he has promised to sign it!

The bill has to go back to the House first because Huffines amendment was added. Then to the Gov.

Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5756647 05/23/15 07:58 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I don't think there is much value in blatant open carry - concealed carry to keep from drawing attention seems the best way to go. However, there are exceptions. Open carry does make it kinder if you accidentally expose - but I think folks are missing some of the other advantages. What are those? Well, first - it allows you to carry a larger weapon. Now I know I'm to draw a lot of comments from this, and folks who are going to claim how great a shot they are - but the reality, and there is no way you will every convince me otherwise, is that a pistol will a longer barrel is going to be more stable and more accurate. They just are. With open carry, I can carry my full sized Glock instead of that little concealed model. I've shot thousands of rounds out of each, and the bigger gun is just more accurate - period. Especially if your target isn't in the same elevator with you. smile

Secondly, open carry isn't for all circumstances - but there are some times it just plain makes sense - or at least, a LOT more convenient. Say you're out on your ranch, lease and you have your big roscoe strapped on. Now you have to run into town to pick up something. Inconvenient taking the gun off and on for the quick trip. Cmon - we've all been there at least once. And I've always not felt good about leaving the weapon in the vehicle when I was shopping. I always felt silly putting on an extra shirt or jacket during a 108 degree summer day when I run into the 7-11 for a pack of smokes.

I can probably think of a few other special one-off circumstances where open-carry makes sense too.

But open-carry does have some serious drawbacks and repercussions. First, you have that stuck to your hip and you're going to draw attention. There will ALWAYS be some custard-head that doesn't like it and will make trouble for you. That might be a call to the police, false accusations, or just plain fear and uneasiness. Futhermore, just like what happened 100 years ago, you are going to have some hot-shot that sees you packing and figures it will be a good opportunity to challenge or harass you in some way. No, I don't think you are going to have folks say "Draw Partner!", but I can see some thugs seeing you with a gun, and rather than be a deterrent - they will see a new gun they want to own. They'll figure a way to ambush you.

Even now, there are plenty of LEO's that don't know the current laws. There are going to be a countable percentage out there after open-carry passes that won't know the new law too! Especially some of the smaller town popo's. They will see you with a open firearm and will stop and hassle you - at best. Maybe some of them will over-react and assume the worst. Not something I personally would want to take the chance on.

Don't think it won't happen - it most definitely will. At first, the sight of armed citizens will put people off. But as it become more common and folks begin to lose their apprehension - there are going to be those "have-nots" that will want to be "haves". I can even see where it will become the new Thug game to "take the gun from the old man" to teach them a lesson and get you a brand new pistol. Don't think being armed will protect you from someone who wants to specifically target you. They can ALWAYS find a way to surprise you and ambush you if they try hard enough.

Read the actual true stories of "gun fighters" of the old west. Most of them confessed it was a real pain to be constantly challenged - and many of them got their reputation simplty because folks were constantly trying to beat them - they never wanted to shoot half the people they did. They became outcasts and recluses because of it - no one wanted them around, even if they were "nice guys" and behaving themselves - because of who and what they attracted. A modern day example would be Zimmerman.

In short, I think OpenCarry is a good thing - but something NOT to be used commonly, only just the rare times where it makes sense. IMHO, anyone who goes around openingly armed all the time is just not being very smart. That's my opinion anyway for what it's worth.

Last edited by John Humbert; 05/23/15 08:03 PM.
Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5756884 05/24/15 01:06 AM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Will a partially concealed pistol be allowed now? One that may be glimpsed
at by the public depending on how the wind blows your shirt or coat?

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: Gravytrain] #5760358 05/26/15 07:21 PM
T
Them Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Originally Posted By: Gravytrain
Will a partially concealed pistol be allowed now? One that may be glimpsed
at by the public depending on how the wind blows your shirt or coat?

Current law says a chl is carrying unlawfully if they are carrying under the chl code (not on private property, etc) the licensee "intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place."

So it comes down to intent. Did you choose to carry that way because you wanted the wind to catch your jacket and reveal the gun? If not, you are fine.

However, police officers often make flash judgments based on what they are thinking as they see something. E.g. I had one in another state stop me in a park because I was "carrying a rifle" ... except I wasn't. At the time I didn't even own a rifle and sure wasn't carrying it around a park. But something caught his eye as he drove past at 50mph and he was convinced. He proceeded to search bushes around me and try to get someone in no way connected with me to let him search their car for the rifle he knew was on the scene somewhere. I mention that story because under current law if a police officer drives by and - at the exact moment they form their impression of you - the wind catches your jacket, they may well pop you for unlawful carry even though your intention was to conceal. They'll tell themselves you put the cover garment on after seeing them drive by or something, just as the cop in my story thought I'd stashed a gun in the bushes. It isn't a huge risk but it's a risk I don't want to take.

Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5763052 05/28/15 12:49 PM
S
schmellba99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Depends on the occasion, but yes. Having the option to carry as I choose is a good thing.

Please quit perpetuating myths about OC'ers getting ambushed by bad guys, sniped by bad guys, being first targets, etc. It simply is not true - if it were, the data from the 44 other states that have OC in one form or another would be overwhelming. But it's not, these hypotheticals are exactly that.

Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: DeadRooster] #5764011 05/29/15 12:21 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Minter66 - I have been carrying that way for most of the last two year (OWB holster at 3 o'clock, with a large untucked Dickies work shirt covering it).

It's how I'll continue to carry once Open Carry passes. Only difference will be that I won't be nearly as concerned about accidentally uncovering my pistol from time-to-time.

Mostly this.....But if the right occasion arises Re; BBQ party with close friends, I'll wear my STI in custom OWB Holster

Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: schmellba99] #5765709 05/30/15 02:45 AM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: schmellba99
Depends on the occasion, but yes. Having the option to carry as I choose is a good thing.

Please quit perpetuating myths about OC'ers getting ambushed by bad guys, sniped by bad guys, being first targets, etc. It simply is not true - if it were, the data from the 44 other states that have OC in one form or another would be overwhelming. But it's not, these hypotheticals are exactly that.

Do a little research and you will find out it's not just hypothetical. It doesn't happen all the time, but it has happened. But you won't because your tactic is to belittle and shout down those who don't agree with you.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Open Carry Poll- Will/Would you open carry? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5772790 06/03/15 11:58 PM
D
DHJenkins Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Probably not in the beginning. I do not like attention and the first people to OC will undoubtedly be given a lot of it; by the public, the media and even the police. If a layer of cloth can prevent that nonsense then it's worth it to me.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide