Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: lease prices [Re: don k] #5768726 06/01/15 05:00 PM
P
png Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted By: don k
This is a little 18 acre LF place I have about 2 miles from Bandera. A person could take WT and Axis enough for probably 4 people of it. If I wanted to lease it and charged say $3000 people would scream bloody murder. But if you look at what people pay for larger tracks and have very few deer plus no exotics it is actually pretty reasonable. leases for deer are like buying what you can afford. Some drive BMW and some Fords. The free market will take care of everything if you just give it time.

Now I want to buy a tract in Bandera ...

Last edited by png; 06/01/15 05:01 PM.
Re: lease prices [Re: png] #5768842 06/01/15 06:07 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: png
This is a little 18 acre LF place I have about 2 miles from Bandera. A person could take WT and Axis enough for probably 4 people of it. If I wanted to lease it and charged say $3000 people would scream bloody murder. But if you look at what people pay for larger tracks and have very few deer plus no exotics it is actually pretty reasonable. leases for deer are like buying what you can afford. Some drive BMW and some Fords. The free market will take care of everything if you just give it time.

You can buy this one. $10,000 an acre.

Re: lease prices [Re: don k] #5768976 06/01/15 07:29 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

There are a whole bunch you can buy for 10k an acre.

Re: lease prices [Re: esnow74] #5769297 06/01/15 11:00 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Actually that is not that bad a price for only 2 miles out of town.

Re: lease prices [Re: don k] #5769877 06/02/15 04:32 AM
P
png Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P

Ohh. Got to sell a kidney first.

Re: lease prices [Re: esnow74] #5770275 06/02/15 03:01 PM
H
HuntingLocator.com Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
As someone that talks with landowners, hunters, and outfitters every day, I can give you my general take..

Most of the talk about free market economics is on-point in this thread. The only thing is that the lease market is super inefficient and slow at moving their prices to match the supply & demand.

Here are the biggest trends I've seen...

1. Oil does play a big part here in Texas. LOs are, for the most part, just looking to monetize their land to help pay taxes and make some money on the side (big hunting ranches aside). So if the LO has to choose, oil is a reasonable, profitable substitute with a much greater upside to leasing out for hunters. When the oil prices dry up, they're looking to get as much as that income back as possible, thus you have a slower moving downward trend on prices. The problem is, since it's a seasonal business, the lease prices don't adjust in time for the real market fluctuations.

2. Bad comparisons. There's no industry standard on how to price a lease. You could say $/acre, but what about the health of the wildlife on a property? What about the proximity to water? etc. Landowner "A" tries to price it like real estate "comps" and looks at his neighbor, Landowner "B" getting $30,000 for his lease. Then "A" decides that's what he'll charge too. Unfortunately, some poor sap from New York will pay this price and anchor Landowner B's prices for years to come.

3. Not living in reality. I used to be on a 5,000 acre lease being charged $1,000-$1,500 a year with a handfull of other hunters. The thing was... the LO was an elderly couple that had their same pricing structure from the 80's. (These probably do still exist, but you'll never be able to access them. They don't show up on the internet for more than 5 minutes) What happens most of the time, is elderly LO's pass away and their kids inherit the land. They see $$ signs and often leads to a land sale requiring kicking off the hunters until the deal is done. The price goes up 3X and now you have 20 or so hunters, not living in reality, looking for a unicorn that they'll never find.

It sucks. I didn't even go into to the corruption and fraud piece of a lot of deals, but I'm hoping we can start to make a difference by bringing more transparency to the industry.

Find or Post Hunts/Leases on www.HuntingLocator.com
Re: lease prices [Re: aeb] #5770351 06/02/15 04:07 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: aeb
Originally Posted By: colt.45
i blame the economy...

I hear this all the time from the guys on my smaller place and then I think about the $50K hunting rigs parked at camp.....wonder what the camp would look like in good times ? grin

cheers slept in a jungle hammic rofl their was old trailor full of rat's slept in a few times... Had a big family tent, for whin we did family camping.. Wife decided she & kids wanted ta go to lease. She took income tax money found old used camper... Defenition of good times, ya cant put a price on it... Shoot experts say our house only worth $10,000.oo... This year dought can aford hunting & fishing licence, had to scrap just ta get the $48.00 WMA permit... Will hunt for food slinger have gun will travel , price of eaten going up.. Dont do no good ta complain, tried that... i apolagize can't aford ta help out landowners.... flag

i'm postaddic
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide