Forums46
Topics536,989
Posts9,719,191
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? #5752468 05/20/15 07:38 PM
A
Armalite260 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
A
What’s your expectations regarding lodging and meals for a guided hunt where you’ll be spending 3K-4K? I’ve been on a couple where the lodging and food was horrible and charged $250.00 for both, then I’ve been on others where I paid $150.00 a day for both and it completely surpassed my expectations. The reason I ask is I had a buddy just come back from an exotic hunt where lodging and meals were included($250/Daily) and that was his biggest complaint. He said for breakfast the outfitter only had microwaveable food nothing cooked, he had to ask for lunch and that was only a bologna sandwich(no cheese or mustard) and dinner was a frozen lasagna. I was LMAO!!! Don’t get me wrong, if I’m going to camp on my own none of that would be an issue. But if I’m paying $250.00 a day I don’t want that menu.. So I’m curious to what the masses have to say and their experiences in the past.

Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260] #5752493 05/20/15 07:59 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Different humans have different and very broad definitions of what hospitality is. Some guides think only the trophy should matter. Others realize it's the whole experience that will get them referrals and repeat business.

Went on an alligator hunt with a guy that SCI has since named "US Professional Hunter of the year." I slept on an old house boat that they'd put 6 bunks in the closet. One of the other guides left his dirty underwear by the toilet. If you got back late, the mooches from the local community had eaten a lot of the food and drunk most of the beer. This head honcho, that said he'd be our guide, left 2 or 3 times to pick up family and other hunters at the airport. Always seemed to be pulling a last minute plan out of his backside even though we'd booked with him over a year in advance. ADHD to the max.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260] #5752508 05/20/15 08:10 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Food/meals is always the wild card on a pricey guided hunt. Mine have ranged from barely edible (about like yours) to absolutely wonderful. Seems though if there is one area even many good outfits seem to overlook/skimp on, it is meals.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260] #5752522 05/20/15 08:25 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Depends on the species and location. You can only do so much in some areas.

Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260] #5752581 05/20/15 09:13 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
True, but the worst 2 I have been on had a dedicated cook and grocery stores an hour away (Sheridan WY). One year the cook (a man) was strung out on drugs and one year she was just a terrible cook. Basically, about a week before season opens the outfitter just starts trolling around for anyone who will take the job.

The Yukon and BC trips both had great food.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 05/20/15 09:13 PM.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260] #5752622 05/20/15 09:44 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
The guided trips I plan on have hotel accommodations and a pick of Mexican/Steakhouse/etc. I can deal with food, I just need the guide to not worry about it and put the additional expense towards more spotters. (Buddy just found out he drew a Zion unit BH.)

For like a WT hunt, a lot of the work was done pre-hunt. If there's a good lodge with functional kitchen then there's no reason to not eat decent even if it's casseroles.

Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260] #5752640 05/20/15 10:03 PM
10ring Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Location of the hunt is obviously a factor, I'm not going to expect the same food at a spike camp 1500' above timberline as what I would expect at a lodge or nice camp that has access to modern facilities. I personally feel that all aspects of a guided "pay to hunt" trip should be addressed from the sleeping accommodations to the food and hospitality all these are just as important as the chance on game as far as I'm concerned. I've packed up and left more than one so called "top guide and outfitting operation". I don't expect to be waited on hand and foot by any means but I expect reasonable value for my money and for an extra 250.00 a day I better get more than microwave oatmeal and dry bologna sandwiches. 2cents

Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260] #5752644 05/20/15 10:08 PM
E
Elkhunter49 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
To each his own as the old saying goes. I usually ask if they have a clean place for me to sleep then I prefer to provide my own food and drinks. I guess I'm a picky eater but most folks don't take the time to prepare a decent meal and most anything thrown together quicky is not normally worth eating to me. I usually pay less than the advertised price for most hunts because the outfitter dosen't have to pay a cook to feed me. Don't get me wrong I'm not there to be wined and dined I'm there to hunt and I can fend for myself for several days with no worries. As I said "to each his own" !!! Later taters, Baker

A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.
Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260] #5752676 05/20/15 10:22 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Obviously there is no cook on a two week sheep hunt. But that outfitter had better food that we hauled 23 miles by packstring from base camp to spike camp than the WY outfit with the cook had. The WY guy is now a friend of mine and I told him point blank if you're going have folks pay for a cook and actually have one he/she needs to do better than microwave crap.

We are not girly-men. We know how to fend for ourselves too, but when you come off the mountain at 9:00 at night after chasing elk all day you expecting the decent meal you are paying for does not seem too much to ask.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 05/20/15 10:23 PM.

Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5752690 05/20/15 10:31 PM
E
Elkhunter49 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I know what you mean sir, that wasn't the intent of my post at all. I elk hunted out west for over 25 years and I completly understand coming back to camp dead tired. Lots of times what I called supper was nothing more than canned crap. My post was only about my experiences and not a comment or critique of anyone else's. Baker

Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Elkhunter49] #5752703 05/20/15 10:35 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49
I know what you mean sir, that wasn't the intent of my post at all. I elk hunted out west for over 25 years and I completly understand coming back to camp dead tired. Lots of times what I called supper was nothing more than canned crap. My post was only about my experiences and not a comment or critique of anyone else's. Baker

I'm sorry sir that wasn't aimed at you at all. I'm just still smarting over the poor food with that one particular guy. smile One hunt actually worked out fine as a fat boy that was with us shot a raghorn the 2nd day, went to town, got groceries, and cooked the rest of the trip. My friend has actually done better with the cooks since too I am told. Will probably go see in a couple of years.

(He wouldn't mind me calling him a fat boy as that's what he calls himself. smile )

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 05/20/15 10:39 PM.

Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260] #5752710 05/20/15 10:40 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I think you need to be clear about your expectations up front and that's going into the eating details. That's a big part of the outdoor experience for me so I'm going to make that plainly understood to whoever I'm depending on for the food.

If they can't deliver I'd rather pay less and plan my own meals myself. A perfectly cooked steak at the end of a long hunt is a big deal to me.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #5752719 05/20/15 10:47 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I think you need to be clear about your expectations up front and that's going into the eating details. That's a big part of the outdoor experience for me so I'm going to make that plainly understood to whoever I'm depending on for the food.

If they can't deliver I'd rather pay less and plan my own meals myself. A perfectly cooked steak at the end of a long hunt is a big deal to me.

Me too if possible. At least a time or two during the hunt. If I am paying for a cook I expect a good breakfast too. Assuming it is logistically feasible of course. In the vast majority of cases it is. Even on many backcountry hunts except for a true on foot backpacking hunt - which we call Mountain House adventures. smile

Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5752726 05/20/15 10:52 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Me too if possible. At least a time or two during the hunt. If I am paying for a cook I expect a good breakfast too. Assuming it is logistically feasible of course. In the vast majority of cases it is. Even on many backcountry hunts except for a true on foot backpacking hunt - which we call Mountain House adventures. smile

I'm right there with you NP. Breakfast is a big deal as well. cheers

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260] #5752731 05/20/15 10:57 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Also ask them if a per day guide fee was included in the food and lodging per day cost. Many times it will be added in if they are hiring guides for the season or when they do hunts. Many places do 2 hunters per guide then upcharge more if 1 on 1. This is why references should have been asked for and then everyone of them called.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260] #5752734 05/20/15 10:58 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
When I come out of the bush after a long hunt I am craving two things: 1) (insert imagination here so as not to offend my spousal unit should she read this) and 2) a good hamburger.

Everything gets back to basics. smile

Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: stxranchman] #5752736 05/20/15 10:59 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Also ask them if a per day guide fee was included in the food and lodging per day cost. Many times it will be added in if they are hiring guides for the season or when they do hunts. Many places do 2 hunters per guide then upcharge more if 1 on 1. This is why references should have been asked for and then everyone of them called.

So true. Many of the good ones have gotten pretty good about spelling that out nowadays.

Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5752756 05/20/15 11:12 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

So true. Many of the good ones have gotten pretty good about spelling that out nowadays.

Yes they have since many a hunter has been burned on the over priced meals and lodging like the OP. Some exotic hunts are a per day guide fee and then trophy fee and/or food/lodging. They will be stated that way up front at booking. Many whitetail hunts are done that way and then fully guided/meals/lodging/hunt cost in one price. Many do this since some are one day to two day hunts. This is why you always ask for references no matter what kind of hunt you are going on....to get the honest feedback.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260] #5752759 05/20/15 11:15 PM
E
Elkhunter49 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I agree guys if I'm paying for a meal at the end of the day it better not be a sandwich or something like that. I've been on many hunts like this and only remember 2 times where the food was bad enough for me to speak to the outfitter about it. One time things improved and the other nothing changed. I haven't been back to either!!

Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5753251 05/21/15 03:45 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
When I come out of the bush after a long hunt I am craving two things: 1) (insert imagination here so as not to offend my spousal unit should she read this) and 2) a good hamburger.

Bed, chicken fried steak or some good slab of meat (will even settle for a cpl pork chops) and indoor plumbing. Done the spike tents. Even the canvas type that accumulate snow and no one tells you not to touch it to push the snow off and then you have a permanent leak over where you sleep for the remainder of the trip....but when you're behind glass all friggin day and put miles on some boots carrying all that glass and a rifle, there's nothing that energizes you like a good nights sleep on a good mattress and a good supper and good breakfast.

Have buddies starting to spend months at a time in the Yukon and they'd scratch the cook for just someone to talk to. They say a week of absolute silence once the plane leaves is bearable, but then the silence starts to get overwhelming.

Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260] #5753381 05/21/15 11:49 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Funny you say that about the silence. I felt the same way. Anything much above a whisper sounds like yelling. Becomes easy to see why you have to ride out to see game - I'm sure every critter for miles could hear where camp was.

Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: rifleman] #5753413 05/21/15 12:29 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Have buddies starting to spend months at a time in the Yukon and they'd scratch the cook for just someone to talk to. They say a week of absolute silence once the plane leaves is bearable, but then the silence starts to get overwhelming.

cheers i go weeks, some times more than a month without seeing a person... scratch scratch some times mimd wonders.... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260] #5753514 05/21/15 01:35 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
A good guide sets expectations here. I'm always careful to let folks know what to expect.

Typical meals on our place are:

Breakfast - microwave burritos or Jimmy Dean Bowls or Sausage Biscuits. My morning focus is on getting everyone geared up and out to there stands. Don't have time to be cooking.

Lunch - Sandwich's and chips at the ranch house, Bowl of chili or stew, or may run into town and bring back a bag of burgers.

Dinner - Always a nice sit down meal. Typically a brisket that's been on the smoker all day, or a sit down meal at a decent restaurant back in town since it's only a 20 min drive.

And we keep a frig stocked with soda's, beer and bottled water.

Last edited by dkershen; 05/21/15 01:37 PM.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: dkershen] #5753552 05/21/15 01:53 PM
A
Armalite260 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: dkershen
A good guide sets expectations here. I'm always careful to let folks know what to expect.

Typical meals on our place are:

Breakfast - microwave burritos or Jimmy Dean Bowls or Sausage Biscuits. My morning focus is on getting everyone geared up and out to there stands. Don't have time to be cooking.

Lunch - Sandwich's and chips at the ranch house, Bowl of chili or stew, or may run into town and bring back a bag of burgers.

Dinner - Always a nice sit down meal. Typically a brisket that's been on the smoker all day, or a sit down meal at a decent restaurant back in town since it's only a 20 min drive.

And we keep a frig stocked with soda's, beer and bottled water.

That's the key. Knowing a head of time what to expect. I don't think my buddy asked any questions, he knows now plus I've learned what to look for. I'm not too picky, but if I paid that much for meals then I just got real picky with a quickness. Plus he said he was sleeping on a "brick" LMAO.. I certainly learned plenty from his experience. He did kill a really nice Nilgai bull which made him over look the other.

Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: rifleman] #5753562 05/21/15 01:58 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: rifleman

Bed, chicken fried steak or some good slab of meat (will even settle for a cpl pork chops) and indoor plumbing. Done the spike tents. Even the canvas type that accumulate snow and no one tells you not to touch it to push the snow off and then you have a permanent leak over where you sleep for the remainder of the trip....but when you're behind glass all friggin day and put miles on some boots carrying all that glass and a rifle, there's nothing that energizes you like a good nights sleep on a good mattress and a good supper and good breakfast.

Please elaborate on this "scratching the cook" business. confused2 smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide