Forum Stats
60439 Members
45 Forums
475815 Topics
6241986 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5752468 - 05/20/15 02:38 PM Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations?
Armalite260 Offline
Pro Tracker

Whatís your expectations regarding lodging and meals for a guided hunt where youíll be spending 3K-4K? Iíve been on a couple where the lodging and food was horrible and charged $250.00 for both, then Iíve been on others where I paid $150.00 a day for both and it completely surpassed my expectations. The reason I ask is I had a buddy just come back from an exotic hunt where lodging and meals were included($250/Daily) and that was his biggest complaint. He said for breakfast the outfitter only had microwaveable food nothing cooked, he had to ask for lunch and that was only a bologna sandwich(no cheese or mustard) and dinner was a frozen lasagna. I was LMAO!!! Donít get me wrong, if Iím going to camp on my own none of that would be an issue. But if Iím paying $250.00 a day I donít want that menu.. So Iím curious to what the masses have to say and their experiences in the past.

#5752493 - 05/20/15 02:59 PM Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260]
Creekrunner Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Different humans have different and very broad definitions of what hospitality is. Some guides think only the trophy should matter. Others realize it's the whole experience that will get them referrals and repeat business.

Went on an alligator hunt with a guy that SCI has since named "US Professional Hunter of the year." I slept on an old house boat that they'd put 6 bunks in the closet. One of the other guides left his dirty underwear by the toilet. If you got back late, the mooches from the local community had eaten a lot of the food and drunk most of the beer. This head honcho, that said he'd be our guide, left 2 or 3 times to pick up family and other hunters at the airport. Always seemed to be pulling a last minute plan out of his backside even though we'd booked with him over a year in advance. ADHD to the max.

#5752508 - 05/20/15 03:10 PM Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Food/meals is always the wild card on a pricey guided hunt. Mine have ranged from barely edible (about like yours) to absolutely wonderful. Seems though if there is one area even many good outfits seem to overlook/skimp on, it is meals.

#5752522 - 05/20/15 03:25 PM Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260]
rifleman Online   crying
Sparkly Pants

Loc: Kingwood
Depends on the species and location. You can only do so much in some areas.

#5752581 - 05/20/15 04:13 PM Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

True, but the worst 2 I have been on had a dedicated cook and grocery stores an hour away (Sheridan WY). One year the cook (a man) was strung out on drugs and one year she was just a terrible cook. Basically, about a week before season opens the outfitter just starts trolling around for anyone who will take the job.

The Yukon and BC trips both had great food.

Edited by Nogalus Prairie (05/20/15 04:13 PM)

#5752622 - 05/20/15 04:44 PM Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260]
rifleman Online   crying
Sparkly Pants

Loc: Kingwood
The guided trips I plan on have hotel accommodations and a pick of Mexican/Steakhouse/etc. I can deal with food, I just need the guide to not worry about it and put the additional expense towards more spotters. (Buddy just found out he drew a Zion unit BH.)

For like a WT hunt, a lot of the work was done pre-hunt. If there's a good lodge with functional kitchen then there's no reason to not eat decent even if it's casseroles.

#5752640 - 05/20/15 05:03 PM Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260]
10ring Offline
Tracker

Loc: Pilot Point, TX
Location of the hunt is obviously a factor, I'm not going to expect the same food at a spike camp 1500' above timberline as what I would expect at a lodge or nice camp that has access to modern facilities. I personally feel that all aspects of a guided "pay to hunt" trip should be addressed from the sleeping accommodations to the food and hospitality all these are just as important as the chance on game as far as I'm concerned. I've packed up and left more than one so called "top guide and outfitting operation". I don't expect to be waited on hand and foot by any means but I expect reasonable value for my money and for an extra 250.00 a day I better get more than microwave oatmeal and dry bologna sandwiches. 2cents

#5752644 - 05/20/15 05:08 PM Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260]
Elkhunter49 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Oak Harbor, Slidell La
To each his own as the old saying goes. I usually ask if they have a clean place for me to sleep then I prefer to provide my own food and drinks. I guess I'm a picky eater but most folks don't take the time to prepare a decent meal and most anything thrown together quicky is not normally worth eating to me. I usually pay less than the advertised price for most hunts because the outfitter dosen't have to pay a cook to feed me. Don't get me wrong I'm not there to be wined and dined I'm there to hunt and I can fend for myself for several days with no worries. As I said "to each his own" !!! Later taters, Baker

#5752676 - 05/20/15 05:22 PM Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Obviously there is no cook on a two week sheep hunt. But that outfitter had better food that we hauled 23 miles by packstring from base camp to spike camp than the WY outfit with the cook had. The WY guy is now a friend of mine and I told him point blank if you're going have folks pay for a cook and actually have one he/she needs to do better than microwave crap.

We are not girly-men. We know how to fend for ourselves too, but when you come off the mountain at 9:00 at night after chasing elk all day you expecting the decent meal you are paying for does not seem too much to ask.

Edited by Nogalus Prairie (05/20/15 05:23 PM)

#5752690 - 05/20/15 05:31 PM Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
Elkhunter49 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Oak Harbor, Slidell La
I know what you mean sir, that wasn't the intent of my post at all. I elk hunted out west for over 25 years and I completly understand coming back to camp dead tired. Lots of times what I called supper was nothing more than canned crap. My post was only about my experiences and not a comment or critique of anyone else's. Baker

#5752703 - 05/20/15 05:35 PM Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Elkhunter49]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49
I know what you mean sir, that wasn't the intent of my post at all. I elk hunted out west for over 25 years and I completly understand coming back to camp dead tired. Lots of times what I called supper was nothing more than canned crap. My post was only about my experiences and not a comment or critique of anyone else's. Baker

I'm sorry sir that wasn't aimed at you at all. I'm just still smarting over the poor food with that one particular guy. smile One hunt actually worked out fine as a fat boy that was with us shot a raghorn the 2nd day, went to town, got groceries, and cooked the rest of the trip. My friend has actually done better with the cooks since too I am told. Will probably go see in a couple of years.

(He wouldn't mind me calling him a fat boy as that's what he calls himself. smile )

Edited by Nogalus Prairie (05/20/15 05:39 PM)

#5752710 - 05/20/15 05:40 PM Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260]
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
I think you need to be clear about your expectations up front and that's going into the eating details. That's a big part of the outdoor experience for me so I'm going to make that plainly understood to whoever I'm depending on for the food.

If they can't deliver I'd rather pay less and plan my own meals myself. A perfectly cooked steak at the end of a long hunt is a big deal to me.

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#5752719 - 05/20/15 05:47 PM Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Pitchfork Predator]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I think you need to be clear about your expectations up front and that's going into the eating details. That's a big part of the outdoor experience for me so I'm going to make that plainly understood to whoever I'm depending on for the food.

If they can't deliver I'd rather pay less and plan my own meals myself. A perfectly cooked steak at the end of a long hunt is a big deal to me.

Me too if possible. At least a time or two during the hunt. If I am paying for a cook I expect a good breakfast too. Assuming it is logistically feasible of course. In the vast majority of cases it is. Even on many backcountry hunts except for a true on foot backpacking hunt - which we call Mountain House adventures. smile

#5752726 - 05/20/15 05:52 PM Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Me too if possible. At least a time or two during the hunt. If I am paying for a cook I expect a good breakfast too. Assuming it is logistically feasible of course. In the vast majority of cases it is. Even on many backcountry hunts except for a true on foot backpacking hunt - which we call Mountain House adventures. smile

I'm right there with you NP. Breakfast is a big deal as well. cheers

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#5752731 - 05/20/15 05:57 PM Re: Guided Hunts With Meals/Lodging - What's Your Expectations? [Re: Armalite260]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Also ask them if a per day guide fee was included in the food and lodging per day cost. Many times it will be added in if they are hiring guides for the season or when they do hunts. Many places do 2 hunters per guide then upcharge more if 1 on 1. This is why references should have been asked for and then everyone of them called.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide