Print Thread
Need a few pointers #5745215 05/15/15 04:53 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
This is my first bolt action rifle and first gun with an actual scope so I have a few questions for you guys that have more experience than I on how to practice at the range in a meaningful way. Practice is good but if you practice correctly you get better faster.

Remington Core Lokt 150 grain $18.99 was the cheapest I could find and definitely kicks noticeable less than the 180 grainers that I shot 2 weeks ago

My first question is about the variable power.

I have a 3 X 9 magnification scope. I shot 100 yards today and all I used was a 9X. Which is OK for my first few times going to the range so I can get my breathing and trigger pull right. But as a hunter wanting to become a better shot how do I want to practice with the variable magnification?

My second question is about after you pull the trigger. When playing golf you better have a good follow through or else. What about shooting what should be my thoughts and actions after I pull the trigger? I have a 30-06 so there is some kick.

SHot 20 rounds today.

1st group was bad but I was also adjusting my scope the first few rounds which were high then I got a little closer on the second 5 by using my left hand and cradling the buttstock between my left hand thumb and forefinger for steadiness. It worked great on my next group of 10 except I had the 2 flyers on the left where I didnt squeeze the trigger I pulled it. Shank in golf!

Definitely took some good advice

from my last post a few weeks ago and got a lot more comfortable in my set up.

My last question is it possible to actually hold steady. I have a hard time becoming perfectly still. In fact I can not do it. ANy tips on that also?

Last edited by Bigfoot; 05/15/15 04:56 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Need a few pointers [Re: Bigfoot] #5745231 05/15/15 05:02 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
First, you're asking something that has a lot of answers. I would read a lot online about this topic. I would also recommend a good shooting class for some instruction. A good instructor will help you a lot.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Need a few pointers [Re: Bigfoot] #5745296 05/15/15 05:29 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Are you using a bipod or sandbags in the front? Sand bag in the rear? This will help a lot. The fewer points of contact you have with the gun the less error you will have. Also, trigger squeeze is very important. I practice with my pistols knowing exactly when it's going to go off, practice pulling right to the point where the hammer wants to drop, then hold it and slowly squeeze the rest of the way. As said above, there is a ton of answers to your questions. Better ammo will help some, but also understanding the dynamics of shooting. It takes time, and practice, keep up the practice with proper techniques.

Re: Need a few pointers [Re: Bigfoot] #5745310 05/15/15 05:39 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
In the field, you typically set a variable scope at the lowest setting. Once you've spotted game and determined that it's not going anywhere, you might up the magnification somewhat. At ranges up to 100 yards and when firing only a single shot ( deer not hogs ), I'll prefer 5-6x and at longer ranges 175-250, I'll bump up to maybe 8x, but everyone has his own preference. I find more than 8x distracting when shooting off of sticks, etc, but higher powers can be used effectively when shooting prone and in fully supported positions.

Going back to basic marksmanship, try slowing down. Fire your rifle no more often than once every 5 minutes. Dry fire a couple of times between shots. The idea is to make 5 perfect shots, not 20 mediocre shots. Yes, sometimes it can be a lot like work. If you notice something that's distracting or bothering you, try to change it. Maybe use more sandbags, or a more effective rear bag. Control your breathing and the trigger. Make sure your scope is focused as well as possible.

You mention not being able to hold the rifle perfectly steady. This is a clear warning sign that you're doing it wrong. You **must** be able to hold the rifle perfectly steady. It's not negotiable. Instead of taking pictures of the target, take pictures of the bench and sandbags from which you are shooting. You must have sandbags or a front rest and a rear sandbag or rear rest of some kind; a bipod can be helpful, but you should learn to shoot without one first. Sit squarely and comfortably on your stool / chair. Keep your body in a stable and relaxed position. If you're straining to get into shooting position, then stop and re-arrange your set up. It is impossible to shoot accurately from an unstable position.

Also, try watching some Youtube videos on accurate shooting technique.

Last edited by syncerus; 05/15/15 05:40 PM. Reason: rong word!

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Need a few pointers [Re: Bigfoot] #5745313 05/15/15 05:41 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Thx bigpig good advice. I agree practice with proper technique is always the key to getting better quickly.

i do need some sand bags but I wont have them when hunting so dont want to get used to them.

I did have a crappy sand bag up front and the stock was resting on my left hand which really really helped me steady down some. It felt natural in that position. I was actually comfortable with the gun position today

Staying still is probably my biggest problem. I can not stay still at all and I have been practicing at home dry firing a lot and trying to hold steady. just not happening

GO TRUMP!
Re: Need a few pointers [Re: ChadTRG42] #5745333 05/15/15 05:51 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
First, you're asking something that has a lot of answers. I would read a lot online about this topic. I would also recommend a good shooting class for some instruction. A good instructor will help you a lot.

Ah hem! peep

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Need a few pointers [Re: Bigfoot] #5745454 05/15/15 07:04 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
If staying still is your biggest problem, then using your off hand as a rear support is never going to work. True, while you prob won't have a sand bag in the field, it still doesn't hurt to practice with one. As a LEO, I practice shooting a non lethal paper target, but still I practice as if it meant my life. I also know that the average shots on target during a high stress event is around 15%, that doesn't mean I only practice getting 15% of my shots on the paper target. Practice like that one shot is the only shot that you have, and make it count! Use sand bags now, or any other aid you have, work on trigger pull and breathing now, and when you hit the field for that once in a lifetime [censored] you will be prepared and only have to worry about a steady rest then

Re: Need a few pointers [Re: Bigfoot] #5746054 05/16/15 02:36 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Man...lots of questions there. I'd shoot the scope at as low a power that you can see the target. Think of it as if shooting at 9x also multiplies shooter error by 9x. Mathematically it doesn't but in practice it comes real close. Many folks over-scope their rifle. You don't need to be able to read the fine print on the target. The key is consistency. Same hold, same breath, same trigger, every time. Here's a pic of a target at 100 yards with a 4x scope. This, to me at least, is a very good group at 100 yards. I'm not posting it to be a braggard, it's more the exception than the norm. Sure the target was blurry and difficult to make out, you just have to concentrate on hold, breathing, and the trigger squeeze. As for the "follow through" just don't fight the recoil, you won't win! The best follow-through is to just relax and let the rifle settle down naturally. You should learn to "pull through the boom" is the best way I can explain it in writing. Best of luck and play safe!

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 05/16/15 02:48 AM.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Need a few pointers [Re: Bigfoot] #5746342 05/16/15 12:59 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Thanks Slow drifter.
Good advice

Those are the kind of results I am looking for.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 05/16/15 01:00 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Need a few pointers [Re: Bigfoot] #5746463 05/16/15 02:20 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
First you need to set eye relief of the scope. Turn it to maximum magnification, close your eyes, get behind the rifle where it feels comfortable, open your eyes. If you have to move your head forward or backward to get edge to edge clarity STOP! Move the scope, repeat the process.

Level the reticle with a plumb bob after having leveled the scope base.

Torque everything down and recheck zero.

Support the front of the rifle on a front bag or even better a Harris bipod. As log as the stock remains free-floated to the barrel.

Your cheek should be resting on the stock. So comfortable you could take a nap there. Your non-firing hand is holding a rear bag lifting the stock. So you have the stock sandwiched between your cheek and the rear bag. Your firing hand does nothing to stabilize the rifle. It's only job is trigger control.

Finger on the trigger, breath normal, apply slow steady pressure to the trigger on the exhale.DO NOT HOLD YOUR BREATH! Heart rate increases, and you will lose visual acuity. Keep holding the trigger through recoil and do not release the trigger until your scope reticle is back on the target. THAT IS FOLLOW THROUGH. And that is what leads to witnessing your own impact at distance. The better you get the closer you can see your bullet arrive on target.

Myself and guys I shoot with do not need a second spotter, we can spot for ourselves.

When getting into any other position from the bench or prone trigger control and shooting on the exhale is still vital to making a good shot.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Need a few pointers [Re: Bigfoot] #5746492 05/16/15 02:49 PM
BassCat'99 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Jason, when are you going to write a book? That would a great addition for any shooter.

22 Creedmoor
Re: Need a few pointers [Re: BassCat'99] #5746520 05/16/15 03:12 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
lol35

Re: Need a few pointers [Re: Bigfoot] #5746523 05/16/15 03:16 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BassCat'99
Jason, when are you going to write a book? That would a great addition for any shooter.

Maybe when I get some more years of experience.

BIL,

SUCK IT!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Need a few pointers [Re: Brother in-law] #5746574 05/16/15 03:52 PM
BassCat'99 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
lol35
Oh, thats just wrong lol35

22 Creedmoor
Re: Need a few pointers [Re: Bigfoot] #5746983 05/16/15 11:00 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Thank you fireman that is a good checklist of things to remember and work on.

The kick wasnt bad at all on those 150 grain bullets. I was pleasantly surprised. I am guessing the 165's will shoot most accurately from what I am reading. Right now the cheapest bullet I can buy is what I need until I get a little better.

The stock butt pad was hard rubber and basically ripped my shoulder off my first time so I was a little gun shy but not anymore after changing it to a Limbsaver. The last 10 shots I finally felt more comfortable and it showed. And I never even felt any kick at all. I am actually excited to get back to the range and work on it again. More excited than I ever have been about it.

I find myself looking up the history of 30-06 and combing over ballistic charts and comparing to other rounds etc. It is becoming an obsession I hate to say

Appreciate the help to the others also.

GO TRUMP!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide