Print Thread
Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? #5731251 05/06/15 12:47 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Any body shooting one? 12 or 20 on game best choice? What can I expect for a max accurate range in a scoped shooter? 100 yards? further?

Been seeing all kinds of I'net fantasy claims for range and killing power, but have watched the segment's ammo choices soar over the last 3 years since I became aware of the idea.

With the growing number of Shotgun Only public hunting areas I've been looking at getting into something to diddle with to hunt hogs & Lottery Hunt deer with & not break the bank....until I find out that I'm gonna use one regularly.

Browning ABolts & Savage 220's are out of the budget at this point, but older Rem/'Berg 695's can be had around $300, as can some low end rifle barreled pump shotguns...but the best most accurate shooters at this price point seem to be some of better made Single Shots...until you get into the Savage/Brownings, with claims of pushing 250/300 yards at barely plus MOA with the right ammo. Fairy Tales??? or the Real Deal???
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5731257 05/06/15 12:54 PM
B
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
NEF or H&R make a decent single shot with scope mounts and rifled barrel.
Id probably go with one of these if I was wanting a rifled barrel shotgun.
I have a smooth bore 870 with rifled sights and a Bsquare scope mount.
Its been good enough for my needs. Used only for pigs on state land where I cant see 100 yds and shots have been at most 40 yds give or take.

It ain't easy being me.

Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5731393 05/06/15 02:40 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
BDK Your experiences are about what I've been seeing around the web, bout the max limit of accuracy in that setup.

There's a gun on GB that I'd buy, if there was enough spare money in the budget and believe it'd do the 200 yard pie plate or better with no problems in premium grade ammo...but the budget is squeaky tight.

I'm guessing your iron sighted 870 smoothbore is not threaded for screw in chokes. My fall back idea has been a Carlson extended length screw in rifled choke (and all kinds of other specialty chokes) on my Benelli, from Midway for about $50 that's said on the I'Net to hold pie plate groups at 100-125 yards with a scope. I just need to figure out something for sights thats better than the vent rib. A Benelli rifled barrel w/ a cantilevered Pic rail and/or irons for a SuperNova, costs $400/$450 & ?tax/freight in net $'s... or more than I paid the for the shotgun to begin with. I can & would buy a clean used Savage 220 for that kinda bux.

One other thing I saw referenced in a suggestion for a dedicated pump/auto slug gun you might want to check into, was having a gunsmith "PIN" or lockin the barrel to the reciever to eliminate some of the minor slop or wobble from the mag tube's locking nut connection and possibly increase your accuracy mebbe as much as 50%+.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5731475 05/06/15 03:31 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Slugs generate quite a bit of recoil. Single shots are thumpers and so are bolt actions. I personally would go with a gas or inertia operating system. There is a reason most waterfowl hunters shooting heavy loads use these types of guns.

As far as accuracy that is a gun/load issue. You will just have to find what works. Good luck and let us know what works for you. I have backed up hog hunters with a Benelli M2 with good results out to 70 yards. Slugs push through brush pretty well and have good results on impact. Lots of tissue and bone damage, plus just plain knock down power.

Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5731481 05/06/15 03:35 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
BDK Your experiences are about what I've been seeing around the web, bout the max limit of accuracy in that setup.

There's a gun on GB that I'd buy, if there was enough spare money in the budget and believe it'd do the 200 yard pie plate or better with no problems in premium grade ammo...but the budget is squeaky tight.

I'm guessing your iron sighted 870 smoothbore is not threaded for screw in chokes. My fall back idea has been a Carlson extended length screw in rifled choke (and all kinds of other specialty chokes) on my Benelli, from Midway for about $50 that's said on the I'Net to hold pie plate groups at 100-125 yards with a scope. I just need to figure out something for sights thats better than the vent rib. A Benelli rifled barrel w/ a cantilevered Pic rail and/or irons for a SuperNova, costs $400/$450 & ?tax/freight in net $'s... or more than I paid the for the shotgun to begin with. I can & would buy a clean used Savage 220 for that kinda bux.

One other thing I saw referenced in a suggestion for a dedicated pump/auto slug gun you might want to check into, was having a gunsmith "PIN" or lockin the barrel to the reciever to eliminate some of the minor slop or wobble from the mag tube's locking nut connection and possibly increase your accuracy mebbe as much as 50%+.
Ron

Buds has the Savage 220 for $462/'Make an Offer', I bet you could get it for less than $450 + your FFL charge.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5731495 05/06/15 03:44 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Slug Gun; this is the one that I have. I know it is out of the price range that you are talking about but just wanted to share. These are the shells that I use: Fiocchi Slugs .

I can shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yards with them and more importantly can hit paper plates off hand or with shooting sticks at 150 yards. I have not personally shot a slug past 150 yards.

Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5731515 05/06/15 03:58 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I have a rifled slug barrel for my 870. It has iron sights and I also have a b-square scope mount. It shoots good. It is punishing to put rounds through it on the bench. Id rather feed a box of 220 grainers through my 300 wby than shoot that thing.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5731813 05/06/15 06:53 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Just some comments; the 12 ga rifled slug is in the same class as the 338 Win Mag in terms of free recoil. I have and use a 12 ga. Remington 1100 with an early Hastings barrel. It does not shoot sabots well, but shoots Foster and Brenneke type slugs well, especially the Brenneke KO. Most of your newer rifled slug barrels are optimized for sabots. If I was looking for a dedicated slug gun I would be leaning towards a 20 ga.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: nsmike] #5731884 05/06/15 07:57 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: nsmike
Just some comments; the 12 ga rifled slug is in the same class as the 338 Win Mag in terms of free recoil. I have and use a 12 ga. Remington 1100 with an early Hastings barrel. It does not shoot sabots well, but shoots Foster and Brenneke type slugs well, especially the Brenneke KO. Most of your newer rifled slug barrels are optimized for sabots. If I was looking for a dedicated slug gun I would be leaning towards a 20 ga.

Are you talking 3" or 3.5", or even a 2.75", in terms of recoil? I was unaware of it having that much recoil. Dang!

Last edited by QuitShootinYoungBucks; 05/06/15 07:57 PM.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5731916 05/06/15 08:26 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Here's a link to calculate it calculator I used 1 oz (437.5 gr) at 1450 with 38 grains of powder and 225 gr at 2800 with 38 gr of powder. I had the 12 GA at 7.5 pounds and the 338 at 8.5.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5732098 05/06/15 10:10 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Here's what I use:

Shells pointing up are 1oz slugs, pointing down are #4's. B-Square saddle mount and unidentified 4x scope. It'll chisel out a large hole in a pie plate with the Foster slugs out to about 75 yards. Recoil isn't bad at all. It's not like you're dove hunting with slugs. I think I have about $300 total in this rig. It's most accurate with slugs using the factory modified choke, so that's what I keep in it. Good luck in your search, sir!

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5732103 05/06/15 10:14 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
There's an oldy but goody Rem'Berg 695 on GB that has the 1st specs I've seen @ 8 1/2lbs nekkid, and the 24" barrel is factory ported...gawd knows they are ugly with that hippo sized belly where the 2 round magazine sticks out...and prolly NEED every ounce to make it even close to tolerable with the angled butt stock. Last time I saw the bid this morning it was still close to doable ...just doan't know if I'd be doable with it from the recoil.

Was at Academy today in Sherman and finally saw the HeaviShot Hog Wild ammo in stock that the Hagerman Federal Refuge mgr had suggested was legal with their non toxic regs for the Limited Permit Hog Hunt they had last month. Cheap @ $3.98 for 5 rnds of 3", but no 3 1/2" in stock. The 3" is a 2 round ball sabot and the 3 1/2" has 3 "pellets" in the longer sabot that is s'posed to be good out to past 60 yards - hard to think of shotgun ammo that is not a slug as not having "pellets".

Ya'll are right about the recoil being tough to take in a fixed breach gun. I've shot enough Remmy Sluggers out of an 870 to be very aware the recoil...and why even in a 8lb single shot I'm concentrating on 20 guage guns instead of 12's.

I'll check out Bud's deal, got a little discount when I bought the T3 260, so I know how that works.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 05/06/15 10:18 PM.

Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5732380 05/07/15 12:57 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
The NEF / H&R single shot guns are built on larger than gauge guns 12 gauge on a 10 gauge frame and 20 is on a 12 frame. This allows for more weight an a heavier rifled barrel. The 20ga one I shot was doing 2.5 inch groups at 100 and the owner said we were burning up some ammo the gun didn't really like and with the ones it did like groups half that were normal. Recoil was brisk but have shot lots of rifles that were worse. That one did have a nice Decelerator pad on it which I am sure helped

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5736108 05/09/15 05:36 PM
R
RDub270 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
This has been discussed several times on this site that I'm aware of: here's one:
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3794162/Re:_What_Is_the_best_slug_gun_#Post3794162

I have been a fan of the H&R ultra slug hunters, until it got rained on. I dried everything I could, though could not access all as it is a break-open single shot. Up until 6 months after the rain, this 12g with Rem copper solids would print 3 shot groups no bigger 2 inches at 100 yards, several groups were 1/2 inch, over a 10 year period. The gun is heavy, though with a 24' barrel is short given its a break-open single shot. About half a year after it got rained on, I started to encounter failures to fire, intermittently, then a year after the rain event would not fire at all, had 3 round with dented primers but no "bang". Of course I blame myself for not drying the entire innerds of the gun, and I was ready to purchase another one until I read about the same failure to fire issues from others with H&R ultra slugs that never got wet, and even a few that were brand NIB. Some had posted the response from the manufacturer that H&R knew of the issue and would simply replace/warranty the gun until the customer got one that went bang. Once I read this I began searching for a different rifled slugger even though I loved my 12g slugger.

I ended up getting a Savage 220 in 20g last October based on all I read about it, including an article from...Dick Metcalf...I miss reading his stuff, he was a very good technical writer. I don't have the experience with the Savage 220 yet to say it is more or less accurate than my H&R ultra slug 12g, though once I finally found the proper scope mounts, the gun started printing small groups a 50 yards and I decided to save my ammo after that for hunting cuz as you know sabots aren't cheap.

FWIW, I handled a used Browning 12g bolt at Cabelas Fort Worth just yesterday...felt like it weighed less 7 pound...would not want to pull the trigger on that without adding 2 pounds or so.

Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5736259 05/09/15 08:06 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
RD270, good info and thx for the tip, hdn't heard any of the FTF Issues anywhere, but it makes sense since you cannot access the internals to service them that I am aware of. May have to go look at the Rem'Berg 695 again with new interest for a best cheap gun....never seen one in Texas. Old School Technology, parkerized bead blasted finish & chunky looking f'glass stock, ported barrel to help with the muzzle jump and really ugly but who cares as long as it will survive the harsh environments common where the gun is gonna be used, but parts and repair may be an issue since the gun's been out of production a looong time.

OBTW what was the price and description of the Browning ABolt Slug Gun you looked at? I know ABolt slug guns can come as bare basic matte blue/F'glass to glossy Walnut and high polish blue. The bare Basic Matte blue and F'Glass would be my choice, but not everyones.

Seems like the Savage 212/220's may be the best over all long term purchase. If you look at the Savage Home Page and open the Specialty Guns section where the 212/220's are listed, they gots lots of choices, options and a wide spread in price points, which always tells me that the product is very successful and their marketing guys are trying to dominate the category by shutting out all the competitors possible niche market footholds.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 05/09/15 08:39 PM.

Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5736481 05/09/15 11:59 PM
R
RDub270 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Wiley - the one at FW Cabela's was the bare basic flat blue with synthetic stock. Don't recall the price tag, though Cabela's website lists one of these located in Louisville KY for $880.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Browning-A-Bolt-Shotgun-Stalker-Gauge/1933026.uts

Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5736945 05/10/15 03:46 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
RD270, not surprised at the $880 price for a base grade matte blue & syn stock ABolt. Most of then I see on GB are pushing $1100-$1200 and are really nice looking Medallion Grade slug guns, just not where my head or budget is at.

Some of my old time cajun friends in deep East Texas used a phrase that has stayed with me to describe their style of hunting and usage of the gun involved...they all used " a Pirouge gun...you know...sunthin' to paddle the pirouge with, shoot the hog and beat the dogs off'n it with..." Not exactly what I'd be willing to use a $1200 Browning ABolt Medallion Grade for.
Ron

Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5738162 05/11/15 02:18 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I have a Mossberg 695 I used to kill a few deer when hunting with my brother in central New York. It would group under 2" with Lightfield slugs and my farthest kill with it was like 156 yards. I haven't hunted with it in years and they have since started allowing rifles in his units so I guess I need to get him to find a new home for it.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5738489 05/11/15 12:02 PM
B
BIGDOG1956 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I use a rifled choke tube on a 870 scoped with a saddle mount and a 2.5 weaver.

This set up shoots 2"-3" at 100 yds. It is a lot cheaper than a dedicate slug gun.

Re: Bolt & Single Shot Rifled Slug Shotguns ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5738806 05/11/15 03:35 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
THAT BD sounds like it's doable for me and accurate enough too, as long as I can find a saddle mount for a Benelli Nova. Got a left over Bushnell Banner 2x7 pawn shop steal for my Marlin 39D that'd work great....and the lil Banner is really too short for the 39 or the 781, unless I use rings that are really too tall.
Ron

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide