Page 1 of 2 1 2
hunting sticks #5729869 05/05/15 04:41 PM
B
bigbuck1 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
I have booked my first rifle elk hunt in colorado. I need advise on what shooting sticks to buy. Never used any before.

Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1] #5729897 05/05/15 04:58 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I suggest the Bog Pod unit. The Primos trigger stick is great, but it's heavy and clumsy; I'd never take one on a mountain hunt.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1] #5729901 05/05/15 04:59 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Also, practice a bit before you hunt with it. There is a little technique involved in getting off a shot within 3 or 4 seconds of "go".

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1] #5729914 05/05/15 05:09 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I would think a sturdy bog-pod or trigger stick bipod shooting stick would be better so you could use it as a walking stick also. I have homemade shooting stikcs that see double use to hold binos/spotting scope steady for glassing.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1] #5729917 05/05/15 05:11 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Bog Pod has a heavy-duty version out now which is super sturdy and you can use interchangable top attachments to customize your set up

Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1] #5729967 05/05/15 05:40 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
It all depends on two factors: How much time you have to shoot, and if you are hunting by yourself.

If you have to carry your own sticks AND a rifle, unless you have lots of time to setup for the shot - they will be more of hinderance than help.

If you have a guide/buddy - then they should carry the sticks and throw them down while you get your rifle ready. In this scenario, "fixed" sticks are better where they have them all ready to go and simple throw them down for you and you setup and shoot quickly.

The PRIMOS trigger sticks aren't too bad if you have them yourself, because with one squeeze the legs drop. But it still takes time. Again, fixed sticks that double as a walking stick may be better.

If you will have lots of time for animals at a distance, then any type can work fine. In fact, even the Caldwell "Field Pod' can work and provide a holder for the rifle where you don't have to burn energy holding a rifle up for long periods. However, those don't have long legs are used from a sitting or prone position.

If you shots won't be standing, then Harris bipod attached to your rifle is the way to go.

As mentioned before: practice, practice, practice. I would also practice using any available natural rests - boulders, trees, backpacks, buddy's shoulder, etc.

When I went to Africa, this was the biggest obstacle I had - even though I practiced with sticks before I left. A good 3 out of 4 shots we took were from odd body positions and impromptu rests.

Re: hunting sticks [Re: John Humbert] #5730059 05/05/15 06:37 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: John Humbert
It all depends on two factors: How much time you have to shoot, and if you are hunting by yourself.

If you have to carry your own sticks AND a rifle, unless you have lots of time to setup for the shot - they will be more of hinderance than help.

If you have a guide/buddy - then they should carry the sticks and throw them down while you get your rifle ready. In this scenario, "fixed" sticks are better where they have them all ready to go and simple throw them down for you and you setup and shoot quickly.

The PRIMOS trigger sticks aren't too bad if you have them yourself, because with one squeeze the legs drop. But it still takes time. Again, fixed sticks that double as a walking stick may be better.

If you will have lots of time for animals at a distance, then any type can work fine. In fact, even the Caldwell "Field Pod' can work and provide a holder for the rifle where you don't have to burn energy holding a rifle up for long periods. However, those don't have long legs are used from a sitting or prone position.

If you shots won't be standing, then Harris bipod attached to your rifle is the way to go.

As mentioned before: practice, practice, practice. I would also practice using any available natural rests - boulders, trees, backpacks, buddy's shoulder, etc.

When I went to Africa, this was the biggest obstacle I had - even though I practiced with sticks before I left. A good 3 out of 4 shots we took were from odd body positions and impromptu rests.

Caldwell does make a version for a standing shooter, and the Bod Pod has an adaptor similar to the Field Pod which inserts easily into the adaptor.

Re: hunting sticks [Re: kdkane1971] #5730487 05/05/15 10:33 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I much prefer a bipod fixed to my rifle with adjustible legs and that swivel. Can shoot prone or sitting - killed many an animal with one. I shoot better of them than a bench

You can't fix stupid
Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1] #5730522 05/05/15 10:53 PM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I used the primos monopod and two days into my hunt the "v" that you put your rifle into had unscrewed and I lost it. What I use now are collapsible shooting sticks that extend out like tent poles, they have an elastic cord inside of them. When not in use, you have a scabbard you put them in that fits on your belt. Very light weight and I have shot several deer off of them, the farthest was 375 yds. I just can't remember what brand they are, you can get them at Academy.

Re: hunting sticks [Re: copperhead] #5730551 05/05/15 11:12 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: copperhead
I used the primos monopod and two days into my hunt the "v" that you put your rifle into had unscrewed and I lost it. What I use now are collapsible shooting sticks that extend out like tent poles, they have an elastic cord inside of them. When not in use, you have a scabbard you put them in that fits on your belt. Very light weight and I have shot several deer off of them, the farthest was 375 yds. I just can't remember what brand they are, you can get them at Academy.

Like these? I have a couple of pair of them that I carry one in my Ranger and one in my backpack.

Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1] #5730594 05/05/15 11:35 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I've been on several elk hunts and I've never used, needed or wanted shooting sticks. I've used them in Africa and I don't care for them. If I can find a tree or just about anything other then using those sticks, that's what I'm going to do.

Re: hunting sticks [Re: stxranchman] #5730618 05/05/15 11:44 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: copperhead

Like these? I have a couple of pair of them that I carry one in my Ranger and one in my backpack.

I've been using this style for many years. They have enabled me to shoot some nice bucks at distances out to 350 yards making good clean killing shots.

I really like that they are light weight. Everything you carry spot and stalk hunting becomes heavier the longer you carry it. I would strongly suggest a Safari Sling for your hunt. It will enable you to keep your hands free to carry the shooting sticks and have the rifle ready to shoot and quickly get on the sticks with it. Also easy to glass with your rifle ready to go. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: hunting sticks [Re: EddieWalker] #5730632 05/05/15 11:53 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
In the Rocky Mnt west, dead broken limbs are scattered everywhere. I'll usually choose a dead cedar branch about broomstick-size and use that as a contrived monopod. That said, the trunk of a handy aspen or pine, or even your daypack, will be plenty sufficient as a field rest to make your shot. Some hunters like an alpenstock or walking stick as a climbing aid in rough country; this can also serve as a shooting rest.

Hunting sticks found their origin in Africa because most trees and shrubs are covered in thorns, so close communion with a natural rest is difficult and painful.

Personally, I admire the Primos sticks, but I wouldn't bother with them at all on an American elk hunt.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1] #5730651 05/06/15 12:04 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
A lot depends on the terrain and what cover is on it. In West Texas where I hunt Mule Deer the greasewood and mesquite is not tall enough to use as a rest and to tall to kneel down to shoot off of Stoney Point style sticks or backpack. I keep my homemade taller shooting sticks to shoot off of and they are lightweight. I have used them for 8 yrs now and killed 6 deer using mine. If we had tall enough and enough taller trees to use as a rest I would not have to carry anything as far as a rest if we had terrain like out west in Elk Country. We are also fairly flat to rolling terrain. Lot of guys will shoot of a rest on their Ranger or Mule also on our lease.

Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1] #5730662 05/06/15 12:09 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Wouldn't recommend them for elk. Just improvise. They are necessary and very useful in Africa.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1] #5731922 05/06/15 08:30 PM
R
Revoman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I use my own made from red oak. Whacked many a critter with them out to 400 yards. Whatever you choose practice with them.

Call'm an Kill'm
Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1] #5732100 05/06/15 10:10 PM
B
bigbuck1 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Thanks everyone. I have been hunting all my life, but usaly from a stand. Never been on a elk hunt.

Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1] #5732121 05/06/15 10:26 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: bigbuck1
Thanks everyone. I have been hunting all my life, but usaly from a stand. Never been on a elk hunt.

You're gonna love it. And, if you're at all like me, afterwards there's always gonna be something calling you back to the mountains.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: hunting sticks [Re: Creekrunner] #5732148 05/06/15 10:41 PM
W
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Wouldn't recommend them for elk. Just improvise.

+1

Practice shooting off your pack which you will need/want one or two. I use a Badlands 2200 as my day pack and a Kelty Cache Hauler if I get one.

Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1] #5734127 05/08/15 03:12 AM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Used a Sotol stalk years ago.light and strong,makes a good walking a shooting stick. rifle

Re: hunting sticks [Re: bp3] #5735970 05/09/15 03:25 PM
Lone Ranger Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I have been elk and mule deer hunting several times and have taken 2 good bulls and 4 nice mulies and I always use shooting sticks. I like the bog pod as well, but really prefer the Trigger Stick mono-pod. I use it for a walking stick in rough terrain and it works great for me. I use it while sitting down too.

Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1] #5741143 05/12/15 11:44 PM
T
Trifecta Outdoors Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
As a guide for elk and mule deer I have really come to hate shooting sticks. Everyone thinks they need them and I've probably only had 2 out of 40 guys that were good with them. Can't count the number of times I watched animals walk off while guys screwed with shooting sticks for 10 or 20 seconds. Practice the old tried and true positions from prone, from a knee and off hand. If you can't be steady in any of those positions shooting sticks aren't going to help you any. For long range a fixed bi or tri pod is the way to go.

Jared Robinson
505-692-0710
jared.robinson@lacnm.us
Re: hunting sticks [Re: tlk] #5741265 05/13/15 12:45 AM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: tlk
I much prefer a bipod fixed to my rifle with adjustible legs and that swivel. Can shoot prone or sitting - killed many an animal with one. I shoot better of them than a bench

I have to agree 100%

Re: hunting sticks [Re: Trifecta Outdoors] #5741656 05/13/15 10:49 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Trifecta Outdoors
As a guide for elk and mule deer I have really come to hate shooting sticks. Everyone thinks they need them and I've probably only had 2 out of 40 guys that were good with them. Can't count the number of times I watched animals walk off while guys screwed with shooting sticks for 10 or 20 seconds. Practice the old tried and true positions from prone, from a knee and off hand. If you can't be steady in any of those positions shooting sticks aren't going to help you any. For long range a fixed bi or tri pod is the way to go.

I again suggest attached bipod - attached to rifle so you don't have to look for them or use an extra hand to hold them. Easy to adjust for sitting or prone. I have used them in Africa, many elk, many deer, etc. To me they are the ticket

You can't fix stupid
Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1] #5745937 05/16/15 01:31 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I hunt on the ground 99% of the time for deer, hogs, coyotes, or whatever and Ive found that carrying extra bulk like sticks can be cumbersome and noisy. If youll practice shooting off of your knee sitting on your rear, off trees, laying down on the ground with a rifle that has a scope you will be just as good as you would with some sticks. Heck practice with a .22. I do occasionally use a bipod when Im on a sit on the side of an open draw, but don't mount the bipod till I get there. A good shoulder strap is nice to have on ling walks. You can build some sticks in the woods if you feel the need. I do that a lot and when Im done with them I leave them in the woods. If you get up in some mountain terrain youll want to be as light as possible. Pay attention to how far off the beaten path you are, because elk are no light weights and the don't drag back by hand. Hey if you feel the need, get some sticks. Id worry more about a good rifle and real real good boots. Remember that atmosphere will make you real thirsty too. Ive got a friend that is in the SF and it was hard on him, so good luck.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide