476187 Topics
6246677 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5729869 - 05/05/15 11:41 AM hunting sticks
bigbuck1 Offline

Loc: mesquite tx
I have booked my first rifle elk hunt in colorado. I need advise on what shooting sticks to buy. Never used any before.

#5729897 - 05/05/15 11:58 AM Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1]
syncerus Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
I suggest the Bog Pod unit. The Primos trigger stick is great, but it's heavy and clumsy; I'd never take one on a mountain hunt.

#5729901 - 05/05/15 11:59 AM Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1]
syncerus Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
Also, practice a bit before you hunt with it. There is a little technique involved in getting off a shot within 3 or 4 seconds of "go".

#5729914 - 05/05/15 12:09 PM Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I would think a sturdy bog-pod or trigger stick bipod shooting stick would be better so you could use it as a walking stick also. I have homemade shooting stikcs that see double use to hold binos/spotting scope steady for glassing.

#5729917 - 05/05/15 12:11 PM Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1]
kdkane1971 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Mesopotamia
Bog Pod has a heavy-duty version out now which is super sturdy and you can use interchangable top attachments to customize your set up

#5729967 - 05/05/15 12:40 PM Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1]
John Humbert Online   content
Pro Tracker

It all depends on two factors: How much time you have to shoot, and if you are hunting by yourself.

If you have to carry your own sticks AND a rifle, unless you have lots of time to setup for the shot - they will be more of hinderance than help.

If you have a guide/buddy - then they should carry the sticks and throw them down while you get your rifle ready. In this scenario, "fixed" sticks are better where they have them all ready to go and simple throw them down for you and you setup and shoot quickly.

The PRIMOS trigger sticks aren't too bad if you have them yourself, because with one squeeze the legs drop. But it still takes time. Again, fixed sticks that double as a walking stick may be better.

If you will have lots of time for animals at a distance, then any type can work fine. In fact, even the Caldwell "Field Pod' can work and provide a holder for the rifle where you don't have to burn energy holding a rifle up for long periods. However, those don't have long legs are used from a sitting or prone position.

If you shots won't be standing, then Harris bipod attached to your rifle is the way to go.

As mentioned before: practice, practice, practice. I would also practice using any available natural rests - boulders, trees, backpacks, buddy's shoulder, etc.

When I went to Africa, this was the biggest obstacle I had - even though I practiced with sticks before I left. A good 3 out of 4 shots we took were from odd body positions and impromptu rests.

#5730059 - 05/05/15 01:37 PM Re: hunting sticks [Re: John Humbert]
kdkane1971 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Mesopotamia
Originally Posted By: John Humbert
It all depends on two factors: How much time you have to shoot, and if you are hunting by yourself.

If you have to carry your own sticks AND a rifle, unless you have lots of time to setup for the shot - they will be more of hinderance than help.

If you have a guide/buddy - then they should carry the sticks and throw them down while you get your rifle ready. In this scenario, "fixed" sticks are better where they have them all ready to go and simple throw them down for you and you setup and shoot quickly.

The PRIMOS trigger sticks aren't too bad if you have them yourself, because with one squeeze the legs drop. But it still takes time. Again, fixed sticks that double as a walking stick may be better.

If you will have lots of time for animals at a distance, then any type can work fine. In fact, even the Caldwell "Field Pod' can work and provide a holder for the rifle where you don't have to burn energy holding a rifle up for long periods. However, those don't have long legs are used from a sitting or prone position.

If you shots won't be standing, then Harris bipod attached to your rifle is the way to go.

As mentioned before: practice, practice, practice. I would also practice using any available natural rests - boulders, trees, backpacks, buddy's shoulder, etc.

When I went to Africa, this was the biggest obstacle I had - even though I practiced with sticks before I left. A good 3 out of 4 shots we took were from odd body positions and impromptu rests.

Caldwell does make a version for a standing shooter, and the Bod Pod has an adaptor similar to the Field Pod which inserts easily into the adaptor.

#5730487 - 05/05/15 05:33 PM Re: hunting sticks [Re: kdkane1971]
tlk Offline
Pro Tracker

I much prefer a bipod fixed to my rifle with adjustible legs and that swivel. Can shoot prone or sitting - killed many an animal with one. I shoot better of them than a bench

#5730522 - 05/05/15 05:53 PM Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1]
copperhead Online   content
Pro Tracker

I used the primos monopod and two days into my hunt the "v" that you put your rifle into had unscrewed and I lost it. What I use now are collapsible shooting sticks that extend out like tent poles, they have an elastic cord inside of them. When not in use, you have a scabbard you put them in that fits on your belt. Very light weight and I have shot several deer off of them, the farthest was 375 yds. I just can't remember what brand they are, you can get them at Academy.

#5730551 - 05/05/15 06:12 PM Re: hunting sticks [Re: copperhead]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: copperhead
I used the primos monopod and two days into my hunt the "v" that you put your rifle into had unscrewed and I lost it. What I use now are collapsible shooting sticks that extend out like tent poles, they have an elastic cord inside of them. When not in use, you have a scabbard you put them in that fits on your belt. Very light weight and I have shot several deer off of them, the farthest was 375 yds. I just can't remember what brand they are, you can get them at Academy.

Like these? I have a couple of pair of them that I carry one in my Ranger and one in my backpack.

#5730594 - 05/05/15 06:35 PM Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1]
EddieWalker Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Tyler, TX
I've been on several elk hunts and I've never used, needed or wanted shooting sticks. I've used them in Africa and I don't care for them. If I can find a tree or just about anything other then using those sticks, that's what I'm going to do.

#5730618 - 05/05/15 06:44 PM Re: hunting sticks [Re: stxranchman]
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: copperhead

Like these? I have a couple of pair of them that I carry one in my Ranger and one in my backpack.

I've been using this style for many years. They have enabled me to shoot some nice bucks at distances out to 350 yards making good clean killing shots.

I really like that they are light weight. Everything you carry spot and stalk hunting becomes heavier the longer you carry it. I would strongly suggest a Safari Sling for your hunt. It will enable you to keep your hands free to carry the shooting sticks and have the rifle ready to shoot and quickly get on the sticks with it. Also easy to glass with your rifle ready to go. up

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#5730632 - 05/05/15 06:53 PM Re: hunting sticks [Re: EddieWalker]
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Big Eddy Road, Noonday
In the Rocky Mnt west, dead broken limbs are scattered everywhere. I'll usually choose a dead cedar branch about broomstick-size and use that as a contrived monopod. That said, the trunk of a handy aspen or pine, or even your daypack, will be plenty sufficient as a field rest to make your shot. Some hunters like an alpenstock or walking stick as a climbing aid in rough country; this can also serve as a shooting rest.

Hunting sticks found their origin in Africa because most trees and shrubs are covered in thorns, so close communion with a natural rest is difficult and painful.

Personally, I admire the Primos sticks, but I wouldn't bother with them at all on an American elk hunt.

#5730651 - 05/05/15 07:04 PM Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

A lot depends on the terrain and what cover is on it. In West Texas where I hunt Mule Deer the greasewood and mesquite is not tall enough to use as a rest and to tall to kneel down to shoot off of Stoney Point style sticks or backpack. I keep my homemade taller shooting sticks to shoot off of and they are lightweight. I have used them for 8 yrs now and killed 6 deer using mine. If we had tall enough and enough taller trees to use as a rest I would not have to carry anything as far as a rest if we had terrain like out west in Elk Country. We are also fairly flat to rolling terrain. Lot of guys will shoot of a rest on their Ranger or Mule also on our lease.

#5730662 - 05/05/15 07:09 PM Re: hunting sticks [Re: bigbuck1]
Creekrunner Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Wouldn't recommend them for elk. Just improvise. They are necessary and very useful in Africa.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide