Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: People taking things from lease [Re: HS2] #5733283 05/07/15 06:08 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
scratch Did U know that Fencing duel was started by de French... Sammual Colt came up with the Peacemaker slinger ta make men equal... As pappy once said: True Peace comes from with-in .... Best wishes Mr. Humblesmith.. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: People taking things from lease [Re: BigPig] #5733514 05/07/15 08:58 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Originally Posted By: BigPig
I would have contacted the law, kept possession of his truck until damages were paid for, and the offered to sell him his junk back. It's no different then if he crashed into your fence, you can maintain possession of his vehicle until all things are setteled to your satisfaction.

You sure about this? I wouldn't think you can keep someones vehicle until the fence is fixed because they crashed into it. It's not like you pull out your wallet and pay for it right then & there, that is why we pay for insurance. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: People taking things from lease [Re: redchevy] #5733521 05/07/15 09:05 PM
P
png Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: Justin T
I would want more info. Did he just cut the fence somewhere away from a gate? Did he cut it and go around a gate? Did he fix it after he cut it? Did he talk to the previous owner? Did the previous owner tell him he could go get his stuff? Did he know that the property changed ownership? You know there isn't a name tag at the front gate that tells you this.

There is no circumstance under which it would be appropriate to cut someone's fence. If he knew he needed to get his stuff off, he must have known the property changed ownership. And if he didn't know, then he knowingly cut the fence of the previous owner, whom he was leasing from.

Im not saying the guy did the right thing, im saying like so often happens on here it sounds like some details that might mater are being left out.

I am with "redchevy" on this. No one is saying it is right to cut the fence.

I don't want to offend the OP, or anyone else for that matter. But I believe the most intrusion from the hunter was to "have trespassed" OP's land - feeder and camera were taken away already, blinder wes left; fence - neighbor's fence in this case - was cut.

No one likes "trespassing" for sure. Lots of THF embers are long term land owners. Apparently many factors in play, but how often are your lands been trespassed? Maybe knowing the "norms" will lower the new landowner’s expectation and have more an ease of mind.

I apologize in advance if my point is way off base.

Re: People taking things from lease [Re: HS2] #5733526 05/07/15 09:14 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
What are the "norms" of trespassing?

Re: People taking things from lease [Re: krmitchell] #5733531 05/07/15 09:19 PM
P
png Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

Meaning how often you see it happpening on your land. once in a few months? once in a year?

Re: People taking things from lease [Re: HS2] #5733571 05/07/15 09:51 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
If I ever see a trespasser it would be too often.

My point is this guy at one point leased the property he probably called the old owner and he just told him to go get it. At that point id be mad at the seller because he didn't have that authority to give.

On the other hand what if the guy had a year lease and his lease wasn't up yet? I know when it comes down to brass tacks the land owner always wins in dear lease fights, but if you want to talk about what is right and what is wrong, then he might have had every right.

We just don't know any of this.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: People taking things from lease [Re: png] #5733802 05/08/15 12:06 AM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: png

Meaning how often you see it happpening on your land. once in a few months? once in a year?

Anytime. I'm not going to be okay with someone trespassing just because they rarely do it.

Re: People taking things from lease [Re: redchevy] #5734084 05/08/15 02:43 AM
P
png Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
...If I ever see a trespasser it would be too often..

ok, ok, redchevy. You are not my buddy anymore.

Hi OP, go ahead, sue the guy, confiscate his truck, ATV, gun, camera, feeder, and

cut the fence more - make sure no one is watching - and blame it on him....

Last edited by png; 05/08/15 02:43 AM.
Re: People taking things from lease [Re: krmitchell] #5734105 05/08/15 02:57 AM
P
png Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P

Anytime. I'm not going to be okay with someone trespassing just because they rarely do it.

I have not seen a trespasser, but noticed evidence twice in 6 months. Memeory cards were taken once. This is in south east texas and in the woods. I was warned before getting on, so I am not surprised.

Re: People taking things from lease [Re: png] #5734120 05/08/15 03:08 AM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: png

I have not seen a trespasser, but noticed evidence twice in 6 months. Memeory cards were taken once. This is in south east texas and in the woods. I was warned before getting on, so I am not surprised.

So because of that you haven't contacted the GW?

Re: People taking things from lease [Re: krmitchell] #5734188 05/08/15 03:32 AM
P
png Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P

So because of that you haven't contacted the GW?

I didn't. You believe notifying GW would make any difference?

Re: People taking things from lease [Re: redchevy] #5734226 05/08/15 03:52 AM
H
HS2 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
I would want more info. Did he just cut the fence somewhere away from a gate? Did he cut it and go around a gate? Did he fix it after he cut it? Did he talk to the previous owner? Did the previous owner tell him he could go get his stuff? Did he know that the property changed ownership? You know there isn't a name tag at the front gate that tells you this.

These are all good questions.

The fence was cut just a few feet left of the gate....maybe 20 to 30 feet. My neighbor told me he caught the guy on his land and that the tresspasser cut his fence. On my side, the fence was down and tire tracks went right through it.....about the same 20 to 30 feet left of my gate. I wasn't there when the event on my side happened, so I can't prove anything from my property, but it seems more than a coincidence. What I did see is the guy stuck in the mud while he was tresspassing on my neighbor's property, and my neighbor trying to get him out. The guy made huge ruts in an otherwise smooth road. He may or may not have offered to help the neighbor fix it.....I had to leave so I won't know till I ask my neighbor.

I don't know what the previous owner told him or what arrangement they had. But I do know that there were billboard-sized For Sale signs on the property, right next to the road, starting 14 months ago. So everyone and their dog knew the property was for sale, well before last summer and hunting season.

Plus, the tresspasser told my neighbor that he removed the stuff from my side. The stuff was moved in less than a week when I had a sales contract last Sept. 2. So he knew the property was being sold.

I also assume he knew the property sold since he showed up within 7 days of the final sale to get his stuff from my neighbor.

So neither me nor my neighbor were wanting to keep the man's things. We would have helped him remove them if he'd just asked. He just didn't even take the time to ask, he just snuck onto our property and cut our fences, hoping to get in and out after the final papers were signed. I would think that a normal person would have called in advance and said "Hey, I've got some things on the land but can't get them off before the sale. I'd like to request that I be able to get them when the land dries up." But he didn't. Plus, he could have walked in and gotten his game cameras......they were only a couple hundred yards off of the paved road. But he didn't.

So here's another question: If you were the buyer, and someone came to you a few days before the sale and said he wants to come a few months after the sale and get his stuff, would you let him? How about if he approached you a week after the sale and requested the things?

Last edited by Humblesmith; 05/08/15 04:03 AM.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: People taking things from lease [Re: HS2] #5734273 05/08/15 05:14 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
There is only one thing I would have done. Kicked him off, get supplies to fix road and fence and then you can get your truck and stuff. Pretty simple. Why would he pull him out before all of that was taken care of? At least verify residence and get down payment or no vehicle. He must have one hell of a sob story to lose a camera.

I left a nice blind and feeder on a property my friend had access too and can't get it. Owner won't respond. One of the best horse trainers in N Texas. Runs largest facility in Wylie. Apparently if you leave a trainer it is worse than cheating on your wife. I have friends who bought horses from him. Dude will not respond but I won't break law for a couple thousand dollars that hopefully he will let us have our stuff.

Re: People taking things from lease [Re: HS2] #5734475 05/08/15 01:25 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
As a buyer I would have made sure all the leasholders had their stuff off before closing or an agreement was made. The lease holder isn't privy to any of the sales discussion. A for sale sign means nothing, every property is for sale for the right price.

In rural areas it can be pretty difficult to find a phone number for someone.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: People taking things from lease [Re: HS2] #5734555 05/08/15 01:58 PM
N
newulmboy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Humblesmith

So here's another question: If you were the buyer, and someone came to you a few days before the sale and said he wants to come a few months after the sale and get his stuff, would you let him? How about if he approached you a week after the sale and requested the things?

When I purchased my place North of Rocksprings, me and the seller agreed he would keep two (large) feeders and a travel trailor. He, supposively, came out one week before closing but got his tractor stuck and couldnt remove the said items. Only problem is the items are located on solid rock. No big deal, I gave him, verbally, another month or so after closing to remove the items. Well 19 months later he emails me and said he coming to get his items after making no attempt prior.

I even started a post on there asking others what they would do. Tell him to beat it, or come get your stuff. I got mixed reviews, about 50/50.

I needed up telling the guy, no problem, you can get your stuff. But, I needed to be present while he was there, and he had to remove all items, not pick and choose what to take. I knew he just wanted the feeders, and not the travel trailor. The guy never emailed or called back, nor have I seen evidence of anyone trying to remove any items from my property.

Re: People taking things from lease [Re: HS2] #5734566 05/08/15 02:04 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Humblesmith

These are all good questions.

The fence was cut just a few feet left of the gate....maybe 20 to 30 feet. My neighbor told me he caught the guy on his land and that the tresspasser cut his fence. On my side, the fence was down and tire tracks went right through it.....about the same 20 to 30 feet left of my gate. I wasn't there when the event on my side happened, so I can't prove anything from my property, but it seems more than a coincidence. What I did see is the guy stuck in the mud while he was tresspassing on my neighbor's property, and my neighbor trying to get him out. The guy made huge ruts in an otherwise smooth road. He may or may not have offered to help the neighbor fix it.....I had to leave so I won't know till I ask my neighbor.

I don't know what the previous owner told him or what arrangement they had. But I do know that there were billboard-sized For Sale signs on the property, right next to the road, starting 14 months ago. So everyone and their dog knew the property was for sale, well before last summer and hunting season.

Plus, the tresspasser told my neighbor that he removed the stuff from my side. The stuff was moved in less than a week when I had a sales contract last Sept. 2. So he knew the property was being sold.

I also assume he knew the property sold since he showed up within 7 days of the final sale to get his stuff from my neighbor.

So neither me nor my neighbor were wanting to keep the man's things. We would have helped him remove them if he'd just asked. He just didn't even take the time to ask, he just snuck onto our property and cut our fences, hoping to get in and out after the final papers were signed. I would think that a normal person would have called in advance and said "Hey, I've got some things on the land but can't get them off before the sale. I'd like to request that I be able to get them when the land dries up." But he didn't. Plus, he could have walked in and gotten his game cameras......they were only a couple hundred yards off of the paved road. But he didn't.

scratch RedChevy asked some great questions, as U pointed out.. Your answer side steps & refures ta your neighbor confused2 i got held back, as most have pointed out, & i have also not the best at English... Then at bottom of post U ask: As a buyer what would we do? Yes & yes... Just a wild guess, the reason the person cut your neighbor's & your fence, the gates were locked... Think most would agree, theirs a better way... Is the leasy on this form ta give their side of the coin? Some times my mind wonders... Good debete... Again Best wishes... just my 2cents worth.... flag

Re: People taking things from lease [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #5734645 05/08/15 03:07 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Originally Posted By: BigPig
I would have contacted the law, kept possession of his truck until damages were paid for, and the offered to sell him his junk back. It's no different then if he crashed into your fence, you can maintain possession of his vehicle until all things are setteled to your satisfaction.

You sure about this? I wouldn't think you can keep someones vehicle until the fence is fixed because they crashed into it. It's not like you pull out your wallet and pay for it right then & there, that is why we pay for insurance. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Sec. 28.04. RECKLESS DAMAGE OR DESTRUCTION. (a) A person commits an offense if, without the effective consent of the owner, he recklessly damages or destroys property of the owner.

(b) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

Sec. 28.05. ACTOR'S INTEREST IN PROPERTY. It is no defense to prosecution under this chapter that the actor has an interest in the property damaged or destroyed if another person also has an interest that the actor is not entitled to infringe.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

I'm getting to the question you asked... Give me a few minutes

Re: People taking things from lease [Re: HS2] #5734692 05/08/15 03:34 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
If you have to cut a fence that is a clue you don't belong there.

Re: People taking things from lease [Re: HS2] #5734696 05/08/15 03:37 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
There is also a wronged feeling when you call up your landowner and say hey im gonna swing by this weekend fill my feeder and pay the first 1/2 of the lease like every year and in return he tells you oh hey by the way I sold the property you need to get your stuff off.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: People taking things from lease [Re: HS2] #5734702 05/08/15 03:46 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Heck yes, that is frustrating. However, the new landowner didn't do anything wrong, and surely didn't deserve to have his property damaged.

Re: People taking things from lease [Re: HS2] #5734712 05/08/15 03:52 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
This reminds me of something.

I am guilty of trespassing recently. My family it total owns a couple thousand acres in north Texas with a kick arse creek running through the middle of it. The family is all pretty distant, but has always allowed each other to bird hunt and fish and access/cross each others properties for these purposes. The property has already been divided into 200-600 acre tracts owned by individual parts of the family as older relatives have passed away. A while back my brother went down there and fished the creek. While he was fishing a guy drove up all pizzed off and yelling at him about who the heck he was and why he was trespassing etc. Brother explained things and the guy told him to get so he got. When he got home he made some calls turns out someone sold their piece out and never said a word to anyone else. Was it trespassing? yeah guess so, but my brother didn't know it was.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: People taking things from lease [Re: HS2] #5734715 05/08/15 03:55 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Just a short time before my brother went through the property I was there too and fished. We have been doing it for over 20 years and my dad did it before us. Now that we know it is sold and no longer family land we don't go there, but we had no idea it had changed hands. There were no locked gates like there always has been.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: People taking things from lease [Re: redchevy] #5734725 05/08/15 04:06 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
This reminds me of something.

I am guilty of trespassing recently. My family it total owns a couple thousand acres in north Texas with a kick arse creek running through the middle of it. The family is all pretty distant, but has always allowed each other to bird hunt and fish and access/cross each others properties for these purposes. The property has already been divided into 200-600 acre tracts owned by individual parts of the family as older relatives have passed away. A while back my brother went down there and fished the creek. While he was fishing a guy drove up all pizzed off and yelling at him about who the heck he was and why he was trespassing etc. Brother explained things and the guy told him to get so he got. When he got home he made some calls turns out someone sold their piece out and never said a word to anyone else. Was it trespassing? yeah guess so, but my brother didn't know it was.

This is not the same thing. He cut the fence. What else do you need to know?

Re: People taking things from lease [Re: HS2] #5734727 05/08/15 04:07 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Did he have an un expired lease?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: People taking things from lease [Re: redchevy] #5734731 05/08/15 04:10 PM
P
png Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Just a short time before my brother went through the property I was there too and fished. We have been doing it for over 20 years and my dad did it before us. Now that we know it is sold and no longer family land we don't go there, but we had no idea it had changed hands. There were no locked gates like there always has been.

oh... I thought "... see a trespasser ... would be too often."

You didn't look at all the direction, then.

Just kidding, my friend.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide