Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,041
Posts9,719,731
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... #5727646 05/04/15 01:33 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Looking at getting a Spotting scope again and have $200 budgeted. Needs to be able to see bullet holes on white paper out to at least 200 yards. Not looking for 1000 yard glass, just a range mule that could double out of a box blind at 270 distances under 400 yards, even though most likely I'll be transitioning into a 260. This is worse than being on a diet, losing weight and getting off pizza and the gooder stuff in life, to walk away from a 270....but the shoulder sez it's time if I'm gonna pound load ladders and steel targets most of the time.

Right now the Celestron Ultima series looks good to me in a 20-60x80 as the best price per value compromise, with lots of very positive reviews on Amazon....but the Mo spendy 100mm version is s'posed to gather 100% more light than the 80mm, which is s'posed to gather 100% mo light than the 65mm, that I started looking at first in the $100 range + tripod.

What Say the THF'ers who have used one, or sumthin else mo bettah for my max range & budget paradign parameters?
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5727685 05/04/15 01:52 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Ron,

Because you can't keep any post under 100 words I didn't read it. Based on the post the bad news is "good", "cheap", "under $200", and "spotting scope" cannot belong in the same sentence. peep

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5727719 05/04/15 02:04 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I got just so few words to use every day, I save'm up for THF 'cause the BW won't listen to me either...and I'm so deaf "to the sound of her voice" I get tired of sayin' "whadda You SAY?" when she gets tired of arguing over who let the coffee machine turnoff when they got their last cup and left me with cooold coffee again.

Old folks fun'n games and what ya'll got to look forward to if you last the 48 years we have...wonder how THAT happend??? Oh I know...bein as deaf as I am helps for sure.

OK I'll go on an order that Celestron 80 and try it out later this month when I get all the pieces and parts put togther on all three rifle's, and take up residence every week 'fore the temp's break 90+ at Fossil Point - Fossil Creek is the name of a local liqour store in a Denison and I get confused when names are that close together ...or what ever that place's name is over N'West of Denton that I'm sure is alcohol free. Then it's on to Leonard once a month or so unless I can find sumplace else out to 500 to stretch the new shooters legs.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 05/04/15 02:18 AM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5727796 05/04/15 02:44 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You can upgrade your rifle scope to see bullet holes in paper at 200 yards. All of mine will do it to 300.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5727874 05/04/15 03:46 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
The spotter will also do duty some at Hagerman too in my new hobby with the volunteer group Friends of Hagermen, of ID'ing birds for specie counts and stuff, and somehow I think they might frown on using a rifle mounted scope for that job, as its been my experience the Feds up here have little or NO humor at all...now if it was mounted on a bow...who knows it might become the hot new thing in birding.

It'll also read license plates of COE Reg violaters that are trying again to take over the COE park in front of my house, despite a TxDot hwy rail fence system and multiple No Vehicles Allowed signs...and keep me from having to deal with the GCSO folks face to face. The COE Lake Mgr seems to think his Police Services contract payments to GCSO include policing the COE property too, but that message has apparently never been passed to the Deputies or dispatchers...or he's pulling my leg ....so I'm gonna stay out of this for a change and simply pass along the violaters pics, ID info & license plate numbers to all parties involved, who can argue among themselves over who s'posed to do what to whom & where. Like your FFP SWFA 5-25 that can take camera shots up to 25 power, this 'un will start at 20 power, but go up to 60 power with a 80mm lense in front... I just can't figure out yet how to strap it to a rifle & put cross hairs in it...oh 'scuse me MIL MIL Dots.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 05/04/15 04:04 AM. Reason: clarity if any can be had LOL

Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5728017 05/04/15 12:02 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
20-60X is a tall order for less than $200.

As has been said here many, many times; glass quality trumps magnification.

I was once uneducated and thought a Barska spotter would work, wrong, it's a paper weight. Now I don't even own a spotter, because I know to be satisfied I'll have to spend some serious money. Bottom line is, I'm not much help to you hammer

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5728136 05/04/15 01:30 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I still have a Barska, and will agree that it's not much of a spotting scope. But...it will read bullet holes to 200 yards. Can't quite read them at 300 though.

I keep saying that I'll buy a good one, but haven't yet.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5728225 05/04/15 02:16 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I agree ....Tall order indeed ...with all due respect and apologies, you were not the Target Opinion and why I asked THF'ers who'd used the Spotter for input, and did not intend to solicit opinions from any non users. As always though, I do however respect other more experienced contributors opinions as a benchmark to judge my basic paradign against.

This opinion solicitation was my effort to confirm the 360+ very very positive reviews posted on Amazon about this product, with THF local hands on experiences input from people who's background comes closer to mirroring my intended usage patterns.

As was stated initially, I am not looking for 1000 yard glass, anymore than I would go into a McDonalds and look for Kobe steak. Said another way, I'm looking for better than a Yugo and closer to Toyota Corolla/Honda Civic quality glass... if thats possible at under $200.

I also understand that once you've used or owned top grade equipment it's hard to understand why someone with means would use something not comparable. That I am no longer of that level of means has been a revelation and reality check almost beyond my comprehension, hence the effort made to downsize that is about complete, but retain functional quality products that meet my usage paradign.

Since July 2013 it has become a Given that all my leveragable financial resources have been directed at addressing more pressing Medical Issues within my Family's survival. So, I'm being forced to buy less quality products than even what I once would have scoffed at, in every purchasing decision of any kind.

The heyday 1920's gave us magnificent quality consumer products that were able to be afforded by people of newly found means, but 1929's reality check in the Economy made history, and it was thought at the time forever, but Wall Street today looks more like the Roaring Twenty's, generating consumer products than fewer and fewer American's can afford. Oil prices have tanked and the predicted 10 Year Boom lasted 5 years Yadda Yadda Yadda. Federal & State Politicians & the Supreme Court have gutted the safeguards that were put in place to prevent the 1929 experience from re occurring. Consequently I'm buying only what I can afford and pay CASH for, instead of as in past years financing best available products, as long as the product can REALLY perform as advertised.

Re Read my tag line's.
Ron

Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5728347 05/04/15 03:47 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Ron, I hope you know I was just gigging you in the original post, no offense meant.

I've used one "cheap" spotter and it was virtually useless. Since then I have only looked through the midgrade to high grade spotters other people owned. And still have not purchased one for myself because I know me and I know anything les will leave me dissatisfied. So I just save my pennies for when I can get the "right" spotter.

Unfortunately I can't point you to an online purchase you will be happy with, and for you to make a trip to SWFA to test drive some scopes would be an all day affair. I'm inclinded to point you to Vortex, given their reputation for bang for your buck but even then I don't know if they have one that will come in under the $200 mark. I am sure they do not have a 20-60 that is far above that line.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5728433 05/04/15 04:42 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
No insult taken or given. cheers

Chairman Mao's Little Red Book tells us ..."that a journey of a 1000 miles starts with but a single step"

I expect a spotting scope of acceptable performance @ the stated goal of "under $200's" will come close to being comparable to that 1000 mile journey...but all I've got is time to look for that "Golden Fleece"

I'll give Neil a call and see what he has to allow. I thought they were going to carry Celestron from what I saw posted earlier this year in Doug's Shot Show threads here and elsewhere, but dinnit find any in the Product List...and how I got to Amazon to begin with as a 2nd tier resource of last resort.

Doantcha just LOVE the Geezery refernces from HS world history and the '60's Pop culture. The BW sez I am getting closer than ever to sounding like my grandfather, who was born in Mequite in 1890.
Ron

Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5728486 05/04/15 05:28 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Used Leupold Ventana

I bought one of these-haven't had a chance to use it yet but I think it will do what you want.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5728518 05/04/15 05:55 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
A used vortex diamond back, next step up used Viper HD, next vortex Razor HD, next step lecia, swaro, or zeiss

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5728724 05/04/15 08:47 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
OK, Now we are getting somewhere with ideas to chase and consider.
Thx
Ron

17 words total... aim

Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5728751 05/04/15 09:06 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Somebody on here suggested this one when I asked the same question a few months back, said it was pretty good:

Konus

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5729276 05/05/15 03:29 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Spotter prices on the same brand and model are all over the board with no dominant retailer. so this Shopping Expedition is not gonna go as fast as I expected.

Celestron Ultima's name keeps coming up as an upgrade to the under $250/$300 price points but is only shown in their Home Page under Nature products for birders. I know that the Birder market is actually larger than the Hunting segment in participation #s and $ volumes in products sold in the category every year.

Looks like Burris is discontinuing most if not all of their Spotting scopes, except for a single model, from what I could find around the 'net today. I did find a deal on the Burris High Country 20-60x60 & a flimsy looking table top tripod at about the same price as a Celestron Ultima 18-55x65 is on Amazon. The Burris had fair to good but not great reviews is my hangup, but it comes with the Burris Lifetime Warranty too....and the always difficult to reach Cust Svc unit. Hard to get hurt too bad at the price though. Might be worth trying.

Apparently several brands are using the same outsourced spotter mfg'er that Vortex had once used and sold as a now disconinued "Nomad" series. D'Backs are now the bottom of the Vortex Spotter line and using Viper coatings I think.
Ron

Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: J.G.] #5734761 05/08/15 04:24 PM
R
RifleDude Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
...the bad news is "good", "cheap", "under $200", and "spotting scope" cannot belong in the same sentence.

He's correct, Wiley. Unfortunately, spotters are relatively complex instruments, and you simply can't get a good, or even decent one for "under $200," much less "with a tripod." The closest you're gonna get is the Bushnell Trophy with compact tripod for about $230. It isn't very good, but might be serviceable.

Forget brands like Barska. They're complete, total crap, and you're better off just using your riflescope.

Ted
Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5734908 05/08/15 06:39 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
After continuing to look...I'd agree the Hunting scope mfg'ers don't have anything under $200 worth the time to talk about them.

However I keep seeing General Usage brands like Celestron & Konus - & Kowa possible at less than I expected - to name 2 that have well respected products in this +/- $200/$250 price range that could meet my predominently shooting range and property security watch needs.

Being "Waterproof" & looking "rugged & outdoorsy" seems like the only aspect the Hunting Mfg'er folks bring to the table. I ain't gonna bench rest target practice in the rain & don't really care if it's pink polka dot and zebra stripe colored as long as the product works without any drama to meet my needs at a price within my budget.

I found a closeout on a NIB Burris "High Country" 20-60x60 for $100's + shipping, without a tripod, posted about it above in this same thread and got ZERO response's about the product. Dunno if it's still in stock but that sounds like a GREAT PRICE but only IF it works as described. The Burris Home Page no longer lists this or any other Spotter except one that looks like a Celestron Cmack coffee can sized & shaped spotter at ummm the $3-400 price range as I recall.

I would not buy a Barska anything, even for a trotline weight, or anything of any kind from anyone else in that price range, and dunno why folks keep thinking I'm looking at Barska's. Ya'll shop only the Big Box retailers too much. I'd love to own a Zeiss or Swaro Spotter, but until I hit even a mid sized $K' Lottery it ain't gonna happen.

Ya'll gotta think outside the box when the product you are looking for is also mfg'ed for crossover usages in other disciplines. FYI I'm told the BirdWatching optical market is bigtime way bigger in Sales $'s than the Hunting & LEO TAC/Civilian LR Match Shooting market is & so is the Astronomy market....the Bird (and Beach Bunny)Watching spotters fit my stated needs at much better price points than the Hunting Mfg'er Only applications. Again, I'm not looking for 1000 yard glass, or gonna need it at above treeline altitudes in a driving snowstorm that looks like a Jim Shocky ad. Those days are over for me at my age and physical state of grace except by mebbe helicopter insertions & recoveries. **See size of Lottery Win Needed reference too.
Ron

Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5735079 05/08/15 08:25 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Why don't you just buy the Celestron, and if you don't like it, return it?

[Linked Image]

Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5735204 05/08/15 10:05 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
The more I keep looking and learning, the better deals I recognize. When I am satisfied that whatever I decide is the best I can do for the bux I have to spend, I don't usually hesitate to get on with it. this is how I got to looking at Konus, and then Kowa.

Kowa's been in the US since the '50's , found some "Vintage Spotters" in Kowa and some other brands I never heard of....as a good quality moderate priced item marketed to the Camera Crowd. Konus is an Italian made line of optics that is a a little less expensive than Kowa - but more than a Celestron - and does not require the purchase of an eyepiece either to get the zoom like a Celestron, like the supposed step up quality in Kowa requires. Case in point - Look at Vortex's RazR's Spotters and their eyepeice system X's the Diamondback fixed eyepeice series. Right now I don't understand the the benefit of the seperate eyepiece feature. Having been exposed very briefly once upon a time to the Professional Camera Crowd I know that certain features are signatures of step up quality markers...kinda like the LR Rifle Looney crowd's attitude towards SFP x's FFP & MilMil in Raidians x's MilMil MOA....just picking fly poop outta the pepper on Spotters right now to the uneducated like me.

Found a line of tripod's I'd not paid any attention to before, called Slik. Saw a couple models of the tabletop series called a Mini at $30-$35 that get 90-98%% ratings....and almost bought one today. Most certainly will when I buy a spotter....unless some unknown feature has a benefit that makes more sense to me. I'm not into Kleenex quality buying decisions anymore....like Barska et al.

Almost all of the tripods in the pkg deals as reviewed by pkg Spotter purchaser's are described as kleenex quality junk ...so why pay for a pkg deal and have to go buy another tripod right away. Think Big Box retailer ad mgr's trying to offer the most items for the buck in a Package Sale in their Sale Flyer's....or like a Savage rifle & scope pkg same way....1st thing to get replaced is the scope...why not buy a Savage rifle and then go buy whatever scope you can afford that suits you better than the Chinese promo grade pkg had..theres lots of decent NIB $100+ scope's around IF you shop and know the diference 'tween 'em.
Ron

Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5735417 05/09/15 12:47 AM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I was looking for something decent but moderately priced a few years ago and picked up a Konus 20-60x 100mm. It's certainly not for mobile usage, but the glass has done everything that I've asked it to do for ~$325. I now have a Cabela's Euro 75mm, also 20-60x. While the glass is clearly superior, as you would expect in $1k+ glass, it has a straight eye piece, which I'm not wild about. Anyway, one way to make cheaper glass do the work of more expensive glass is to bump up in size, assuming you're not traveling fast and light.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: syncerus] #5735436 05/09/15 01:01 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: syncerus
I was looking for something decent but moderately priced a few years ago and picked up a Konus 20-60x 100mm. It's certainly not for mobile usage, but the glass has done everything that I've asked it to do for ~$325. I now have a Cabela's Euro 75mm, also 20-60x. While the glass is clearly superior, as you would expect in $1k+ glass, it has a straight eye piece, which I'm not wild about. Anyway, one way to make cheaper glass do the work of more expensive glass is to bump up in size, assuming you're not traveling fast and light.

eek2 100mm

Ron ^^here is your answer^^

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5735607 05/09/15 02:46 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Yup...been looking at them...right now the budget is almost there but only for an 80mm, and about $150-$200+ jump in 100mm size, with each having the same 20-60 zoom & all other features. These prices came off Amazon & the Konus 100mm 20-60 is running close to $400 w/out a tripod, with a MSRP that'll get your attention.

Celestrons in the same 3 sizes 65 - 80 - & 100mm's and same magnification run about $55/60-$70 cheaper. with a Celestron 20-60x65 w/out tripod at about $100+ & the same size Konus at about $165.

Saw a listing of the same model, same zoom magnification, in some brand I fergot the name of, mebbe it was on the Konus Home Page, in 3 different size front lenses with product descriptions & and a statement about the differences in light gathering that went .... 65mm blahityblah...80mm yadda yadda & gathers 100% more light than a 65mm, ...100mm yaddayadda & gathers 100% more light than a 80mm. IMO THAS a bunch of difference...but mebbe not as big a problem on the Range, instead of at last light sitting in a stand looking for ole Mr Big to step out 'cross't the pasture.

Good to hear Syncerus's experiences are about what I thought would/should happen for primarily a Shooting Range bench top Spotter....OBTW a 100mm unit weighs almost 4lbs as I recall, and the 80mm is about a pound lighter & lots cheaper for a po' boy.
Ron

Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5743574 05/14/15 02:45 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Amazon has the Konus 80mm for $229 w/tripod and the 100mm w/case for $309

[Linked Image]

Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote] #5743910 05/14/15 06:51 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Yup they do...just waiting on the MO to arrive from Utah on the Burris 4.5-14x42 FF II BP PA I sold Tuesday nite, 2 days after I listed it, and then the decision about how much of that to spend...and see if theres gonna be any extra $$'s left over for one of the new value line of Minox BF 8 or 10x42 binoculars that will next on the Get It Now list....same Wetzlar German made lenses but does not have the Aluminum frame the 1st line binocular has, with the same Lifetime Warranty. Can't afford GB3 Zen-Rays as the next best buy, but might squeeze into the metal framed Minox BV II 10x42 BR's another way if I wait a bit on something else to fall into place. Whenever the new binocs show up, I'll sell the Bausch & Lomb 10x50's I've been using...or offer them to one of my son's.

OBTW The Slik Mini Tabletop Tripod I want is also on Amazon at $30, along with a top rated Park 1 beam style torque wrench fulfilled from a bike shop via Amazon for about $40.

Not thru with the total makeover of my toy box just yet.
Ron

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide